Thread: Mountain bike racing

Thumbs up Mountain bike racing

First of all, the most important thing. You don't need to be fast or fit to race a mountain bike. Right, got that ? On with the message.

I've been trying to get a vegan mountain bike racing team together.
    I've posted on veganfitness and the VC&AC and got some interest, but no commitment. I did better at the vegan3counties meet up in Malvern where I met Jo (LGBunny on this forum) and Adam.
    Jo and myself did the Bristol Bike Fest 12 hour race recently, results here, numbers 647 (17th Solo fun men) & 761 (1st Solo fun women).

Don't give me any of this "I'm not good enough to race" nonsense. If you can do three laps of a 9.2km course in 12 hours, you wouldn't have been last in that race.

I'm doing a 100km race around Builth Wells tomorrow.
    I did 50km at the April event at this venue and it's an ideal set up for beginners as there are three different course lengths, 50, 75 & 100km, but as they all start out together you can leave it until the last second before the course splits to decide which one you want to do.

We will be doing the Cheddar Bike Fest 10 hour race in September.
    We will be riding solo again, but the event is open to pairs and teams of four as well, so if there's enough to make up a full team you will only need to ride for 2 - 3 hours out of the 10.

I know I've mentioned this before, but, You don't need to be fast or fit to race a mountain bike.
    Going over the mountains around Builth Wells in April, at one point we were in a shallow valley between two ridges. We were on a narrow sheep track with long rough grass on either side so everyone stayed in single file on the track.
    I looked around me and there were bikes, wheel to wheel, as far as I could see in both directions. It doesn't matter if you're at the front or the back, it's an experience just to be part of it.
    Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.

Default Re: Mountain bike racing

As someone who only rides on the road ( I do have a low end hardtail MTB but it has slicks on it), I would be concerned about the specific skills that must apply when riding off road. I'm sure there must be specific techniques you would have to learn in order not to come a cropper or show yourself up?

Chapeau for doing a 100K off road, it must be a lot harder than doing 100k on tarmac.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

A low end hard tail is fine for racing. I commute and race on a hard tail myself.
    Learning techniques is just a matter of practice. Hang around with other mountain bikers, find some rough ground, ride over and through it, gain experience any way you can.
    I've been on a couple of forum rides with MTB Britain and intend to do a few more. It's nothing too serious, usually it's just some saying "I'm going for a ride round **** next Sunday, who wants to come with me ?". We go at the pace of the slowest rider with frequent stops to regroup at the top and bottom of every hill. Other forums do similar things so you may find one more London based to suit you, however, there's already two vegans on MTB Britain.
    Don't worry about coming a cropper and showing yourself up. Everyone crashes.

There is a certain etiquette to racing.
    If you're walking up a hill keep to one side to let those riding have the best line.
    If a faster rider wants to overtake they will normally shout "On your right/left". Move over to let them past. This will happen more on multi lap events as you get lapped. On single big loop events, after the first 10km or so, the field will have got spread out, the fast guys will have long since disappeared off in to the distance and you will inevitably be riding with people of about the same ability as yourself.

They had to make some late changes to the course yesterday. I think it was problems with permission from landowners due to the wet weather. The 100km route got cut down to 78km.
    A bit of rain, a bit of sunshine, riding in a bunch of 500 bikes through the middle of Builth Wells, riding across open mountains with a line of bikes from horizon to horizon, scrambling over unrideable rocks and tree roots, sliding down a steep path at high speed thinking "Whoa, how did I stay on then", rolling around in the bracken when I didn't stay on, stuffing my face with bananas, Clif Bars and Ritter Sport marzipan, keeping going long after I feel like giving up because I can see someone ahead and if I try hard I reckon I can catch them and just generally having a great day out.
    Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.

I guess I might like to do mountain biking at some time, but for now I'm a true road-biker
    Longest I've done in one stretch was 72 miles - 116km - through mostly roads and gravel paths etc - from here to St. Andrews - 7 hours including a few stops for food etc along the way.
    I just hate suspension and thick tyres unless you're climbing up a mountain, just way too much drag/energy loss on roads..
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Hey Big Good Wolf, I would definately be up for joining a vegan mountain bike team. I have recently started cycling again, and would love to do something like that. I was going to speak to LGBunny at VBB's bash next weekend, so hopefully we can all get some ideas across then, and maybe try and get something sorted..? The only problem I will have (apart from my fitness and proneness to injury) is that I won't be free most weekends between August and June, as it is the football season. For example, the Cheddar Bikefest falls on Stoke v Chelsea, which I will not be missing I'm afraid. But for the weekends that I am available I would love to attend something.
    I like football. And potatoes.

seitan

i may be up for it too big g, assuming it doesnt crash with my races.
    i cant ride hardtails any more, as ive got so used to massive rear suspension ( on my enduro bike), so i got myself a kona moko moko ( i think thats what it is) which deosnt seem too hard to ride, my gt zaskar just rips hell out of my ass!
    pester me.

i may be tempted out of retirement - but contary to what BGW has said, I want to be a bit fitter first
    I dont get crunchy people?

Not a race, but an MTB Britain Forum ride this Saturday.
    About 35km around the Black Mountains near Abergavenny.
    13 riders booked up for it already including 3 vegans.
    The route takes in some extreme downhill sections. We're going to split in to two groups at that point. I'll be taking the easy way down to meet the others at the bottom.
    Meet at 10am at the picnic area near the Grwyne Fawr reservoir. There's no shops on the route so bring all the food and drink you will need with you.
    More details on the MTB Britain forum including some videos of the downhill section.

I talked to LGbunny about mountain biking at VBB's party and am hoping to go out with her sometime. I cycle most days but haven't really done much more than 30 miles at a time and only on roads. Love the idea of being in a vegan team but do need to go out with Jo first and see if I am fit enough and brave enough to go off roading!
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

I'm quite interested in mountain biking... not very fit at the moment, but i'm getting more fit! I haven't used my bike for ages, but been using my bf's bmx to get around lol.

I got absolutely and utterly drenched in sweat last night cycling 12km in the gym. It wasn't a pretty sight!

seitan

need more notice big g!!!!!! man, that would eb awesome, after watching that downhill vid it maes me relalise how i miss downhill racing.

My husband and I did coast to coast a couple of years ago - liverpool to hornsea but for the last 3 years building a business and no time for biking. Now have new and lightweight v nice bike and starting again. I would like to get to know a lot more about it so I need a book. A little bit of maintainance would be good and some routes would be good but I would like to know about different pedals/ shoes and techniques of mountainbiking etc so any recomendations for a decent book?
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Linda, great to have you in the vegan team. If you go riding with Jo, don't be put off by the fact you can't keep up with her. Not many people can.

Honest Goodbye, you're not too far away from Jo or myself. Be good to meet up sometime.

Seitan, you're not too far away either. I'll try and give a bit more notice next time.

Vavavegan, I'm not sure what book would be best, but Sheldon Brown is widely regarded as the best bicycle information source on the web along with Park Tools for how to guides. Debates on pedals on cycling forums can go on for several pages. Most mountain bikers use clipless. They feel a bit weird at first, but once you are used to them, going back to flat pedals feels even weirder.
    Finding good routes can be a matter of trial and error with a 1.25000 OS map or maybe you could try a local tourist information office. I know the Welsh ones sell route guides, they probably do something similar in Yorkshire.

Quote Big Good Wolf View Post

Honest Goodbye, you're not too far away from Jo or myself. Be good to meet up sometime.
    Haha just noticed you're in Worcestershire!!

LGBunny

Linda, great to have you in the vegan team. If you go riding with Jo, don't be put off by the fact you can't keep up with her. Not many people can.

Seitan, you're not too far away either. I'll try and give a bit more notice next time.
    LOL that's so not true. Especially at the moment. I'm a right lazy arse when it comes to hills!

We should do a Cannock meet at some point - Cannock is great because it allows all skill levels, and fitness levels, to be catered for. No massive hills, no unrollable drops and great fun

Linda, if you still want to borrow my spare bike (she's called Nell and is extraspecially lovely, but is more than used to serious crashes so dont worry about coming off her) I'll need a bit of warning so I can give her a bit of a service.

Obviously this is all relative to me surviving the Downhill course at the weekend.....commiting to unrollable drops when you only have a 50% success rate is always a bit of a risk

seitan

Quote LGBunny View Post
    LOL that's so not true. Especially at the moment. I'm a right lazy arse when it comes to hills!

We should do a Cannock meet at some point - Cannock is great because it allows all skill levels, and fitness levels, to be catered for. No massive hills, no unrollable drops and great fun

Linda, if you still want to borrow my spare bike (she's called Nell and is extraspecially lovely, but is more than used to serious crashes so dont worry about coming off her) I'll need a bit of warning so I can give her a bit of a service.

Obviously this is all relative to me surviving the Downhill course at the weekend.....commiting to unrollable drops when you only have a 50% success rate is always a bit of a risk
    be sure to let us know how the weekend goes!!!

thank you so much for that info GBW - what an interesting man Sheldon Brown and coping so well with his disability.

Quote LGBunny View Post
    No massive hills,
    I, and my thighs, would have to disagree with this!

Would be ace to get a Cannock meet on the board though. Let's put the wheels in motion for this *gets coat*
    I like football. And potatoes.

seitan

Quote Frosty View Post
    I, and my thighs, would have to disagree with this!

Would be ace to get a Cannock meet on the board though. Let's put the wheels in motion for this *gets coat*
    i 2nd that. a vegan forum ride out in cannock!
    wait ill start a thread, itll be the kick up the ass i need

Bristol Bike Fest 10 hour race tomorrow.
    I'm number 506 on the rider list.
    There's about 250 solo riders and teams entered and it's a 4km lap. That's about 1 bike every 16m once we get spread out.

My prediction;

Realistically;
    Top half (25th or better out of about 50 solo male riders)
    25 laps (100km or 10km/h)

Optimistically;
    Top 20 out of 50
    30 laps (120km or 12km/h)

LGBunny

Good luck!

Good luck .... great day for it!

Was in Derbyshire dales last weekend and spotted a bike track number 54, one very steep hill noted. Absolutely beautiful surroundings in Biggin Dale.

I was a bit out with my predictions.
    I looked at the course profile and thought 160m of climbing on a 4km lap doesn't sound much, but then that's 160m of climbing in 2km with 160m of descent in the other 2km, or an average slope of about 1:12. That's pretty steep.
    My target of 10km/h would mean I would need to lap in 24 minutes.
    For the first two hours I was slightly ahead of schedule.
    At the end of the second lap the commentator announced that I was 4th solo male. This could only mean one thing; I'm riding too fast.
    Sure enough my speed gradually dropped until near the end I was lapping in about 33 minutes.
    As I came through on the start of my last lap, the commentator announced that I was 11th solo male. However, there's a fun class and a competitive class and I don't know if he meant 11th in my class or overall.

The course was a bit too steep for my liking. I was walking up a lot of the hills then getting stuck behind slower riders on the narrow, twisty downhill sections.
    Anyone who's been mountain biking with me will be familiar with my graceful, elegant style as man and bike skim effortlessly over the ground in perfect harmony. Towards the end of the race I was looking even more ragged than usual. Nose diving over the drop offs, bouncing off roots in to the brambles, bumping in to trees. Although, this was the first race I've done without a single crash.

There's a great atmosphere at these events.
    Those of us riding solo had a blue background to our numbers so it was easy to see who was solo and who was part of a team.
    Several times on each lap I would get words of encouragement from team riders. I also got several comments on my pink & purple lycra too.

I'll post an update when I get the full results.

Vava, did it look something like this;
    If so,it's part of the National Cycle Network.
    I'm a volunteer ranger for part of Route 45 from Highley to Bewdley through the Wyre Forest.

yup looked like that - but some of them just had numbers and no cycle on them.

Hey, vava, I've just realised that's the same route 54 that I cycle along on my way to work and back.

blimey how long a journey is it?

seitan

I was a bit out with my predictions.
    I looked at the course profile and thought 160m of climbing on a 4km lap doesn't sound much, but then that's 160m of climbing in 2km with 160m of descent in the other 2km, or an average slope of about 1:12. That's pretty steep.
    My target of 10km/h would mean I would need to lap in 24 minutes.
    For the first two hours I was slightly ahead of schedule.
    At the end of the second lap the commentator announced that I was 4th solo male. This could only mean one thing; I'm riding too fast.
    Sure enough my speed gradually dropped until near the end I was lapping in about 33 minutes.
    As I came through on the start of my last lap, the commentator announced that I was 11th solo male. However, there's a fun class and a competitive class and I don't know if he meant 11th in my class or overall.

The course was a bit too steep for my liking. I was walking up a lot of the hills then getting stuck behind slower riders on the narrow, twisty downhill sections.
    Anyone who's been mountain biking with me will be familiar with my graceful, elegant style as man and bike skim effortlessly over the ground in perfect harmony. Towards the end of the race I was looking even more ragged than usual. Nose diving over the drop offs, bouncing off roots in to the brambles, bumping in to trees. Although, this was the first race I've done without a single crash.

There's a great atmosphere at these events.
    Those of us riding solo had a blue background to our numbers so it was easy to see who was solo and who was part of a team.
    Several times on each lap I would get words of encouragement from team riders. I also got several comments on my pink & purple lycra too.

I'll post an update when I get the full results.

Vava, did it look something like this;
    If so,it's part of the National Cycle Network.
    I'm a volunteer ranger for part of Route 45 from Highley to Bewdley through the Wyre Forest.
    well done bgw! you need to be wearing a vegan shirt while racing tho!!

i have this on one of my race shirts

and this on another

The results are up. I'm number 506 on page 13.
    There's two classes for solo male; fun and competitive. There's no qualification needed to enter as competitive and you can't be exluded from the fun class for being too good. It's entirely at the rider's discression which class they enter so I can't really see the point of having two classes myself.
    There were 50 solo males all together in fun and comp classes and I finished 15th overall. :smile:
    Looking at the times now, I could have got one more lap in, although it wouldn't have affected the results.

Congratualtions BGW on the great result and not coming off your bike!

LGBunny

Great result BGW!!!!

Good write up too

Three hour trailquest tomorrow at Woolhope in Herefordshire.
    I'm currently 10th out of 40 in the Autumn League after one event.

If anyone wants to get a bit more serious with their mountain biking, trailquesting is a great start.
    Trailquesting is orienteering on mountain bikes. There's a bit of everything involved, fitness, riding skill, navigation, route planning.
    It's an ideal sport for anyone who doesn't want to enter a proper race.

How did it go?

9th on the day, currently 5th in the league after two events, although there's a few fast guys who have only done one event, so I'm sure they will overtake me on the table. http://www.midlandtrailquests.co.uk/...tables.php?l=9

Cheddar Bike Fest last Saturday.
    3rd/5 over 40 solo male
    11th/34 overall solo male
    76km, 3500m ascent, 20 laps

Next Sunday is the SPAM Biking September Blast on Salisbury Plain.
    This would make an ideal first event for anyone who wants to get in to mountain bike racing.
    There's a 25km option and, although the plain is not flat, there's no serious hills.

Thanks for the examples BGW.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

Nice BGW looks like you're doing well

Talking of racing, it's the racer's guild at cannock this Saturday (19/09/09).
    http://www.racersguild.co.uk/Cannock/about.html

It's a very relaxed informal Downhill MTB 'race' (it's not exactly a race, more of timed runs). I've only done one before, but it was lots of fun - I think I got a bit carried away as I crashed on two of my three runs!

I'll try 'n do better this time