Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Donating blood

Default Donating blood

Since most likely the blood will go to omni, do you think it is all right for a vege to donate?

I've been donating whole blood or, on ocasion, platelets, throughout most of my adault life. I was and am happy to do that.
    Side benefit of it is i will not have an omni come to me and say that i value animal life more than human (i know, some of us sometimes think just that
    In my books the human life almost always is more valuable than animal life. There would be a few exceptions, like murderers, mass killers of course (hitler,sadam,stalin, etc.) and others.
    Who else here is a regular donor?
    Knowing the truth is freedom, all else is a prison {?}

I don't think anyone wants omnis to bleed to death. I don't donate blood because I know that blood is a business. They take that blood that you think was donated to charity and they sell it.

Quote John
    They take that blood that you think was donated to charity and they sell it.
    Are you sure? The place I donate is not for profit (as I'd assume every blood center is). They may have to charge hospitals along the way as it does cost money to run the operation, but I have hard time believing that any legit blood center is driven by profit at all.

Geoff

Anyone who would accept a blood transfusion for themseles or their loved ones should donate.
    In the UK and Australia I think that it's illegal to buy and sell blood. In Aus we have the Red Cross Blood Bank and, like any other bank there's a need to make deposits in order to cover withdrawals.
    I used to donate regularly, after first 'volunteering' at square bashing in the RAF but am no longer allowed to because I had a heart attack. It's a shame as it made me feel good, being one of the few 'brave' things I did!

I can't find any proof that they sell blood so maybe I'll donate. Maybe I'm just bitter because I don't have any health insurance and when I need some blood they are going to charge me money for it.

i give blood regularly and have no worries about whether it's the right thing to do. it can help save someone's life, and i don't care if they're an omni or not. you never know, maybe getting some wholesome vegan blood in their system might subconsciously make them think about their eating habits

in the UK nobody gets paid for donated blood and nobody has to pay to receive it (one of the benefits of a health care system).

Vegans are all peacful people and do not condone causing death - (except to fox hunters ) woops sorry back on thread - but no serious it's all a good thing...one day we may need some ourselves - giving blood is one of the best free things you can do.
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

I give blood regularly, and I don't see a problem. Turn the question round and ask 'if you saw someone get run over, would you try and help to save them, or leave them, just in case they were a mear eater or a hunter?'
    In my opinion, it's the same thing - you just don't know who will get the blood, and some of it is used for new born babies who haven't even been alive long enough to eat anything.

I don't know about other countries, but in the UK the blood is donated and not sold for profit as far as I know.
    ~I used to be sane but it drove me mad~

From "Being vegan" by Joanne Stepaniak.

Organs for transplantation typically come from healthy relatively young individuals who due suddenly and prermaturely. The families of the organ donors generally talke comfort in knowing that their relatives death may provide fresh hope for someone in dire distress. Consequently, there is no philosophical conflict between veganism and human-human organ transplantation.
    Blood transfusions are no different from organ donations except that the contributors are still living and have willingly supplied their blood. There is no harm or suffering incurred by giving or accepting human blood. To the contrary, donating blood is a generous, life saving gift.
    There is purpose and wisdom associated with vegan practice. Shunning bodily substances from other people simply because they are animal products doesn't make sense. From such a narrow vantage point, vegans would be prohibited from nursing their children, having sexual intercourse, or even kissing. Certainly this is not the intent of vegan living.
    In a democratic society, people have free will and can give permission for their bodily parts or fluids to be used. When There is no coercion or exploitation involved, and an arrangment is devised that is agreeable to all parties, there is no question of incompatiblity with veganism. Indeed, voluntarily providing assistance to others in need through the use of our bodies is an act of mercy that epitomizes the heart of vegan practice and is a quintessential example in action

the website to find out more about giving blood in the UK is www.blood.co.uk

gert's post made me wonder: as well as donating blood, who else has put their name on the organ donor register? i have, but wondered if it would be better to donate my body to medical science in the hope it might reduce animal testing in some small way - is that just wishful thinking?!

Quote Left of Centre
    In my opinion, it's the same thing - you just don't know who will get the blood, and some of it is used for new born babies who haven't even been alive long enough to eat anything.

I don't know about other countries, but in the UK the blood is donated and not sold for profit as far as I know.

It's a good point, Left of Centre, about the babies. They are totally innocent. My son was a prematurely born and needed transfusion.

I don't know if anybody gets paid for blood in the US. I donate in a blood bank that calls itself "nonprofit" and, of course, i don't get paid. Supposedly, they sell the blood to the hospitals to cover the operation costs (nurses and other proffesional staff are paid).

I am on an organ donor list (in the US you check the box on your driver licence) and i have paid to be tested for marrow type for eventual donation, if lucky.

My belief is: donating goes well with vegan way of living, i just didn't know what other people here are thinking on this subject and now i have a better idea.
    Knowing the truth is freedom, all else is a prison {?}

ConsciousCuisine

I used to donate blood regularly. I knew that it would help others and I also feel it is good and rejuvenating to require your body to manufacture new blood for itself.

The last few years, everytime I have tried to donate, I have been a bit too "iron poor" to meet up with their standards. They always, without fail, tell me to "eat a steak and then come back the next day" to try and donate. Really. Contrary to popular belief, here are health benefits to being a bit low in Iron, but that's another thread...

As far as personally receiving blood goes, I would rather have a blood volume expander, such as Ringer's Lactate or Saline as an option, when appropriate, first before a blood transfusion was administered to me.

In nearly all cases *that I know of personally* where transfusions are given, it is the blood *volume* that is the issue and not the blood itself that is of importance when "needing" a blood transfusion.

Naturally, I wish to live until well into my 100's and so if the occasion ever arose that I would require blood and only blood, I would try to find someone I knew to donate for me and accept what I could get otherwise to save my life.
    Last edited by ConsciousCuisine; Oct 2nd, 2004 at 05:59 PM. Reason: to state *that I know of personally* where applicable

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    In nearly all cases where transfusions are given, it is the blood *volume* that is the issue and not the blood itself that is of importance when "needing" a blood transfusion.
    That's not true. In fact, blood is usually transfused as packed red blood cells with most of the volume taken out. The red cells are what is needed to carry oxygen.

Of course, the plasma, platelets, etc that are separated from the blood cells are also needed. We are actually having a shortage of platelets right now at my hospital. Everyone, please donate blood if you are eligible. The money that blood centers charge hospitals is necessary for infectious disease testing, etc to ensure that the blood supply is safe for transfusion.

ConsciousCuisine

[QUOTE=spidermonkey]That's not true. In fact, blood is usually transfused as packed red blood cells with most of the volume taken out. The red cells are what is needed to carry oxygen.
    QUOTE]

Great! Someone even more absolute than me!

I should have said " In nearly all cases that I know of personally".

I hear what you are saying and, at the same time, in many cases, the *volume* is the issue, and unless someone has a blood platelet disorder, or other complicating factor, given time, one's body can produce new blood for itself.

I was raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses (I am NOT part of this religion, I am using this a s a point of reference since they *never* permit blood transfusions) and I personally know many people who have received volume expanders instead of a blood transfusion, when the Doctor said that a tranfusion was the only option, even when it went AMA and they survived and thrived, much to the Doctor's dismay.

Personally, it is not religious reasons ( I have no "Religion" per se) that would make me seek alternatives first.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Contrary to popular belief, here are health benefits to being a bit low in Iron, but that's another thread...
    Really?? Such as what?

[QUOTE=ConsciousCuisine]
    Quote spidermonkey
    That's not true. In fact, blood is usually transfused as packed red blood cells with most of the volume taken out. The red cells are what is needed to carry oxygen.
    QUOTE]

Great! Someone even more absolute than me!

I should have said " In nearly all cases that I know of personally".

I hear what you are saying and, at the same time, in many cases, the *volume* is the issue, and unless someone has a blood platelet disorder, or other complicating factor, given time, one's body can produce new blood for itself.

I was raised as one of Jehovah's Witnesses (I am NOT part of this religion, I am using this a s a point of reference since they *never* permit blood transfusions) and I personally know many people who have received volume expanders instead of a blood transfusion, when the Doctor said that a tranfusion was the only option, even when it went AMA and they survived and thrived, much to the Doctor's dismay.

Personally, it is not religious reasons ( I have no "Religion" per se) that would make me seek alternatives first.
    Hey CC, that definitely puts things in perspective for me.

There are a lot of docs out there who treat the lab values and not the patients' symptoms. So yes, I agree, sometimes too many blood products are transfused unnecessarily.

Someone mentioned organ donation. It is my understanding that the hospital takes the organ from you while you are still alive. Only living organs can be transplanted. You can't put a dead heart or whatever into another person. So, they actually have to kill you to get the organ. I don't know if I am comfortable with giving people permission to kill me. I'm not saying I'm opposed to organ donation. It's just something to think about.

no, they don't kill you. you must show no brain activity after passing certain criteria for brain death,at least twice, 6 hours apart, and be on life support which is breathing for you and keeping your heart pumping. This is much different from being "alive", as the machine is all that is keeping your heart and lungs functioning. Once the organ is removed, it is certainly not "alive" and has a very limited time to reach the recipient and be transplanted.
    "Lots of people talk to animals but not very many listen. That's the problem." The Tao of Pooh

I find it funny that someone would ask if it was ok for vegans to donate blood or organs. For the sake of argument, I'll play the Devil's advocate.

I think that anyone receiving an organ of mine should be legally bound to become a vegan for the rest of his or her life. If someone receives my blood, he or she shoud have to give up one type of animal product for a year.

Quote John
    I find it funny that someone would ask if it was ok for vegans to donate blood or organs. For the sake of argument, I'll play the Devil's advocate.

I think that anyone receiving an organ of mine should be legally bound to become a vegan for the rest of his or her life. If someone receives my blood, he or she shoud have to give up one type of animal product for a year.
    Good luck finding a vegan donor if you ever need blood or an organ Mr. John.

Is receiving an organ vegan? I mean, it is meat.
    I want a new tofu liver when the time comes. A Tofliver perhaps.

Default I Gave Blood Today

I was sure someone could use my healthy vegan blood. After I gave blood I went walking out of the room and I fell in the hallway. I didn't pass out but I was very weak and dizzy, and I felt as if I was going to throw-up.

I was on my period (sorry males) and I gave blood so I'm guessing that's why I felt so weak. The only food they had to eat afterwards for the donors was sodas (ek) and some sort of cookie with no ingredients listed.

I was wondering if this ever happened to anyone else?
    She died the way she lived; ugly.

well done for giving blood, it's a really worthwhile thing to do

you need food and liquid after giving blood, didn't they even have water there? perhaps you should take your own water and some fruit with you next time. i expect the fact that you have your period didn't help, especially if you usually get a little low on iron levels around this time.

you need to make sure you rest properly afterwards as well. did you get up too quick? i felt ill one time because i didn't lie down for long enough after they'd finished taking the blood.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Yes. I got right up without resting. I had my own water in a separate room, but not with me.
    She died the way she lived; ugly.

When I used to give blood I often felt a bit light headed after but I was borderline aneamic and underwieght at the time which has something to do with it but the other factor is the psychological element of the whole blood giving proceedure which - no matter - how "fine" you are with it, can still have an effect on you temporarily.

I have no problems with needles and insist on watching but one time I was feeling fine and the nurse suddenly asked if I was ok and promptly made me lie down for a while after since i went white as a sheet.

Seems to be largely psychological since the amount of blood tehy take is only a small percent of the blood in our system *but* it will temporarily lower your blood pressure while fliuds are being taken up back into the blood stream and this is why you can faint - you body has ways of making you lie down when it needs more blood in the brain and fainting works quite well.

If you feel even the slightest bit woozy make sure you sit for half an hour after and drink the juice or water provided since you body is adjusting your blood pressure and fluid balance.

I am no longer able to give blood which is frustrating and somewhat unfair.
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Veganblue, i'm guessing the Australian blood service has similar rules to that of the UK, and yes the rules seem rather heavy-handed and unfair to a lot of groups of people. i guess they're just trying to be 'safe' but it's a bit extreme IMO.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

The Irish Goverment have just banned donations from people if.....

......You have spent 1 year or more, in total, in the UK in the years 1980 to 1996 ........

And the UK goverment isnt concerned about CJD? What are they NOT telling you???????

That goverment is best which governs not at all. Thoreau

Same with the US-counts me out .

Yeah, like there's no CJD in US cattle . Let the US government keep hiding it from the citizens, it's just a coincidence that there has been a 60% rise in Alzheimers diagnoses during the past 10 years or so.

Quote John
    Is receiving an organ vegan?
    Depends if you are a man or a woman!
    That goverment is best which governs not at all. Thoreau

in relation to CJD, the UK have only banned blood donations from people who've had a transfusion since 1980. considering the great lengths they go to to prevent other diseases being spread through transfusion, this seems a little lenient to me when potentially hundreds of thousands (?) of people could be carrying CJD

Starting last summer I now give blood to the Red Cross on a regular basis (twice so far). The benefits to me are: 1.) I get to find out what blood type I am (A positive), 2.) I get screened for 3 major viruses (so far, so good), and 3.) I get to find out if my Iron level is low (not yet).

But more importantly, the lucky person that receives my blood (probably a meat-eater), will get a sudden rejuvenating jolt of pure vegan vitality!. I like to think that they might even think twice when they reach for their next hamburger... "Gee for some unexplained reason, I no longer think I want to eat this piece of dead rotting flesh..."

I plan on giving as often as I can from now on.

Quote ridgerunner
    I get screened for 3 major viruses (so far, so good)
    just a small point ridgerunner, in the UK we're told not to give blood if we suspect we may have any major disease such as HIV or hepatitis which i assume you're talking about? the blood service check for disease of course, but they say it should not be used as a test because mistakes can be made and things can very rarely slip through. if you're ever worried you may have contracted something like that, you must get it independently tested first.

no offence intended, but i felt i should point that out. good for you for giving blood, anyway.

Default Blood donation

I'm scheduled for my first blood donation since I've been a vegan. I eat a diet filled with greens, a lot of legumes, and a strong presence of soy. I'm just wondering if I should have any trouble with the iron count (for the record, I'm a male).

Default Re: Blood donation

highly unlikely. it sounds like you eat alot of iron rich foods and vegans have been known to actually have a higher amount of iron than meat eaters, as vegans eat a diet rich in iron rich foods.

scroll down in this link until u see "comparison of iron foods" and youll note that spinach has more iron than say, cow flesh.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/iron.htm
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Thanks a lot for the input, it appears like I'll be fine. Spinach, broccoli, and chick peas are almost in my salads ever day.

Default Re: Veg*an Donating blood OK?

I would donate blood... but, they won't let me -.- I don't weigh enough plus I have a really terrible medical history.

I've ended up very very queasy and dizzy the three times I've donated blood, and the last time I actually threw up a little bit on one of the professionals there (which was rather embarrassing) so I haven't been for a few years.

Kevster

I've never personally had an issue with iron count.

There was a good story around recently about a woman who had received a kidney from someone who was vegetarian, out of respect she decided to go veggie too.

Maybe they should start labelling blood 'vegan'

Pilaf

I'm nowhere near anemic but needles always make me lightheaded. I don't mind the thought of giving blood that'll be used by omnivores one bit. One poster seemed to think that's an issue..it's not an issue for me at all. I don't see them as omnivores when they need help. I see them as fellow human beings in need.

This is going to be controversial !!!

I used to give blood. About 2 years ago I gave blood for probably the last time. If you adhere strictly to the guidelines in the US for giving blood then I'm not allowed to give blood. I'll be blunt and say that if you are a male and have had sex with another male since 1977 then you are not allowed to give blood. Never mind if you test NEGATIVE for HIV, and have been in a monogamous relationship SINCE that time.

I used to give blood and totally ignored those guidelines. Then someone pointed out on another forum that I was irresponsible and probably breaking multiple laws (blah, blah...like I care.) I know more about what going on in my body than anyone.

So screw it. I don't give anymore and have no regrets about what I did in the past. As far as the future and whether I'd accept blood from someone else, I can't say until the situation arises.
    Carve a pumpkin, Go to prison! :eek:

Talking Re: Veg*an Donating blood OK?

im not allowed to give blood because a ex of mine was military, and he was in africa for more than a year in the late 90's...

also because of my drug abuse history...

i would if i could...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I used to give blood regularly, but now I'm under their weight limit so I can't anymore.

coney

I don't think you can say "I only want my blood to go to a vegetarian, NO omnis." It's like saying "I only want my blood to go to middle aged women, NO teenagers." Makes no sense. You're helping to save another human's life, if you blood is used. Humans are beings just like animals'.

I am not suppose to give. Sometimes vans come around for donators, and I noticed they did not ask many questions or run any tests. They just took blood. I reckon they ran tests afterwards? I was tempted to just give anyway, but then thought maybe that would not be fair to the receiver nor to me.

I battle ida, and it really stinks. I lost alot of blood when I was maybe 5 (?), and it seems my body never fully recovered from it. But for those of us who can't give blood, we can help in other ways. Cheers to all who are able to give and do!

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    Naturally, I wish to live until well into my 100's and so if the occasion ever arose that I would require blood and only blood, I would try to find someone I knew to donate for me and accept what I could get otherwise to save my life.
    When my friend needed a transfusion, I offered to give some of my blood for her, we're both the same blood group and we were both vegetarian. But in the UK health service they won't let you do that, at least they didn't then. Also, it's not as simple as just being in the same group, there are all sorts of additional factors to consider when they're looking for a suitable match.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote John
    Is receiving an organ vegan? I mean, it is meat.
    I want a new tofu liver when the time comes. A Tofliver perhaps.
    I've just been reading 'Principles and Practice of Phytotherapy' and I found a very interesting fact...St Mary's Thistle (silybum marianum) can protect and regenerate liver cells...so maybe it's better to stick to vegan hepatoprotection than to end up needing a transplant. I'm going to try to get my alcoholic brother to start eating it...I've already told him he's not having one of my kidneys. I wouldn't trust him not to pickle it. Like Al Murray 'the pub landlord' when he had a son and said 'a spare pair of kidneys in the family's like gold dust'.

Anyway, before long they'll probably find some way of culturing and injecting cells that will regenerate any organs without the need for transplantation. Then people will be free to go in for massive self-abuse without fear.

It's interesting about people changing their lifestyle in gratitude for donated organs, though. But it doesn't seem to have worked with George Best.
    once in a while you can get shown the light
    in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I long to be able to give blood but am not allowed as i had a blood transfusion in 1985 at the height of the CJD thing, as a result am not allowed to give blood or donate any of my organs. Gutted!

Gliondrach

Quote celtic

The Irish Goverment have just banned donations from people if.....

......You have spent 1 year or more, in total, in the UK in the years 1980 to 1996 ........

And the UK goverment isnt concerned about CJD? What are they NOT telling you???????

Why a year? Someone could have been here for one day and eaten infected beef.

Gliondrach

Quote vjonnyv
    I'm scheduled for my first blood donation since I've been a vegan. I eat a diet filled with greens, a lot of legumes, and a strong presence of soy. I'm just wondering if I should have any trouble with the iron count (for the record, I'm a male).
    I'm a regular donor, and I never have any trouble with the iron test.

By the way, if this is to be your first donation, make sure you find out about the money. I haven't been payed yet for any of my blood - and I've given gallons.

I used to be a donor but I'm not allowed anymore since I received a transfusion.
    It is a monstrous thing to do, to slay a unicorn...you have slain something pure and defenceless and you will have but a half life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips.