Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Donating blood

Default Re: Donating blood

well done Roxy - it's a really worthwhile thing to do, and i'm glad you didn't have any problems.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Kevster

Gave some blerd today, i asked about the drop of blood in the green stuff (blue stuff for the ladies) and it would seem that iron content is considered on rate of descent, as mine plummeted to the bottom like a stone (and it did), the lady explained that no further tests needed to be carried out.

Anyhow, i had this strange thought (amongst others i've had today and shared with Saucyvegan) that if i reduced my circle of compassion (so to speak) i wouldn't give blood, and if i was some crazy AR extremist i probably wouldn't give blood either, because by donating blood i'd more likely save the life of a meat eater over a vegan and thus would be doing the cause no good at all.

I'm sure there are plenty of animal exploiters that could come up with that.

Lilac Hamster

Does anyone remember Harry Bonnie, a Vegan Soc member who was trying to set up a vegan blood donor register so that vegans could give blood to one another when needed (probably would not be possible in emergencies but could maybe be arranged for elective surgery)? This was a few years ago and I don't know what happened but as we get into larger numbers it should be doable,

Lesley

Geoff

I don't like the idea of an exclusive blood bank. The whole point of the Red Cross blood bank is that it makes blood available to everyone at no cost.
    If you come across an injured person on the road would you ask them if they were vegetarian, vegan or carnivorous before trying to stop the bleeding from their femoral artery?
    It might even be better to donate blood to an omnivore as they're a potential vegan!
    BTW - Good on all the vegan blood donors. I'm not allowed to donate any more because I've had a heart attack, even though my cardiologist said it's fine.
    My best ever blood donation was in Kuala Lumpur, when my blood wasn't flowing too well and this gawjus Eurasian nurse was stroking my arm to assist the flow. I was moaning with pleasure and she was telling me to shut up. Of course that was when I was young and uninhibited.

Thanks Diane and Gorilla

If you guys want to read about the full experience, you can do so at my blog. I wrote about it in detail.

Good on you Kevster!

Thanks for the link to your blog, Roxy, and thanks for donating!!
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Canadian Blood Services just called me tonight asking if I can help them out with another donation. I will be eligible to give again on June 29th. I made my appointment for then.

nice one Roxy, hope it goes well! it's interesting to hear that you can give blood every 56 days in Canada - in the UK you have to wait four months between donations, and i've found it frustrating to wait because i want to get another tattoo after my next blood donation. i was going to get the tattoo done after my last donation, but because i was unable to donate the full amount i felt a bit guilty, and decided i wanted to give blood once more before i get myself banned for another six months. so hopefully my next donation will be ok as i've booked myself in for the tattoo a week after my blood donor appointment!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thanks Gorilla! I hope it all goes well for you this time round, as well

Limey

I've only been able to give blood once, but now am not allowed. Really wish I could, though.

Way to go, Roxy

I have always been thinking that it would be a risk that the blood was used for research, and that I then would be involved in experiments on animals.

But that is not the case? Then I guess I should reconsider donating blood, and try to find out if I will be allowed to donate.
    Need help finding gift! The tread is located her

Quote Gorilla
    the last time i donated i only managed to get half a pint out. i think the nurse put the needle in slightly wonky and the flow stopped halfway through. it was a bit painful as they tried to get it going again but nothing more came out. i felt quite guilty because i'd waited six months after having my tattoo, and then i couldn't even donate properly after all that. there wasn't anything i could've done but i was still kind of annoyed with myself.
    A similar thing happened to me tonight, Gorilla and sadly my experience wasn't as pleasant as the first time

Firstly, the nurse shoved the needle roughly into my arm and it hurt a lot and then they had problems getting the flow going, so she kept twisting the needle around and every time she did, it caused a burning sensation in my arm. After 20 minutes they got 492g of blood, which they said was still useable (even though a bag full is 585g). I hope they will still use it and not throw it away.

They put ice on my arm afterwards, because they thought it might bruise from all the shoving and poking around.

All of this took it's toll on me emotionally and I had a good cry when I got home.

My arm is sore too and I'm sure it'll be bruised tomorrow.

aw i'm sorry Roxy! i know i felt bad when it happened to me. i'm not sure what they do with blood that doesn't make the full bag but they told me they might still be able to use it for something, i hope they did.

don't let it put you off going back though - it wasn't your fault and i'm sure it'll be better next time.

Thanks Gorilla.

I'll go back, I'm sure. But.....if I ever see that same nurse coming towards me again with a needle....I am going to explain to her nicely that my last experience with her was painful, and request another nurse. I don't want that lady inserting a sharp device into me ever again!

One thing that another nice nurse told me, was that on the day I donate, I should drink even more water than I usually do as this will help "plump up" the veins, and make it easier for the blood to flow. I will try that next time, and see if it makes a difference.

Does anyone here know what they do with bags of blood that aren't quite full? I hope they're not wasted.

i gave blood again yesterday, and luckily everything went well this time. i told the nurses what happened last time and they were very helpful. the blood flowed quickly and although my arm felt a little sore i'm feeling ok generally. all is looking good for getting my tattoo next week!

Yay! That's great Gorilla! I'm so glad things went more smoothly this time. Did you happen to drink more water than usual over the last couple of days?

thanks Roxy! i've been drinking loads of water recently because it's been so hot here, but i don't know if it made a difference because i always drink lots.

I would so like to give blood but they won't take me 'cos I'm on medication. I'm kind of sad about that.

Okay, I'm really excited because my parents are away so i finally got up the courage to donate blood, I have wanted to ever since i was 16 but have been falsley led to believe that the blood bank would "never want my vegan/vegetarain blood" because it'd be "so low in iron" pfft... Anyways i thought while i have no one to tell me not to do it i would make the appointment, and my iron was fine, it is supposed to be between 12-16 for you to be able to donate and mine was 14.5!! woot!! It is funny to me becuse my omni mother hasn't donated for years because last time hers was 11.5 or something, so hahahaha! The lady was shocked that my iron was so good, considering i don't take any suppliments, i however, was not!

IndigoSea

I'm from England, but live in the US. I went to donate blood only to be told I could not because I might be infected with CJD!!!! I told them I was a vegetarian during the years they listed (if anyone had been in the UK for a few months during these years, they were considered contaminated) so that can't have happened, but they just sort of shrugged and said "that's our policy"

I love that they take you on your word that you don't have HIV, but not that you were vegetarian so couldn't be infected with Mad cow. Well, screw them. I donate my sweet vegan blood to my countryfolk when I go home to visit my family!

I don't care if it goes to an omni or a bad person or whoever- were all human, and although I don't agree with their life choices I would certainly never want them dead...

That's great claireyveg! You did a good thing How did you feel afterwards?

I was eligible to give again yesterday (you are allowed to give once every 56 days here) - but while I was on vacation, I wasn't able to properly monitor my iron intake, so I gave it a miss this time.

The mobile clinic comes to my part of the city once every 56 days, so I will give again when they are here next.

Thanks Roxy!
    Physically i felt fine, like i was expecting to feel lightheaded or nausiated but i was fine, they were trying to force feed me and offering me cans of softdrink and milkshakes, and i was like "no, seriously i'm fine" i couldn't be bothered explaining that there was nothing on their menu that i would/could eat.
    I felt really happy with myself, and kinda proud in a way i mean i know it's only a small thing to do, but if i help the 10 people they say can be helped i figure i'm doing the best i can, I will definately do it again.
    My parents get home tonight, i can't wait to tell them

About the food thing.......I know what you mean. Luckilly they have juice here, so I always have a little cup of that. But there are cookies also, which aren't vegan, but that doesn't really bother me, because I can't quite stomach the thought of food, right after giving blood.

Next time, try taking a little fruit juice or something with you, or some fruit or something. This will help balance out your blood sugar levels.

Once again, I think it's great that you went ahead with this!

I have an appointment to give blood again tomorrow afternoon, after work.

The last 2 times that I have given, it's taken a long time for me to bleed, and last time, I didn't even fill the whole bag before they had to take the needle out

The nurse suggested that next time I drink lots and lots of water the day before and day of my blood donation. Apparantley this helps the blood to flow faster and more freely.

So today I've been drinking lots of water and will do the same tomorrow. I've also been monitoring my iron intake closely for the past week or so, and will have a nice big bean salad and guava juice tomorrow for my lunch.

I'll let you know tomorrow night, how it went.

I give blood. I always have good iron levels when they check it, and I don't mind sharing my top quality vegan blood with others! Also I am O negative, which is the universal donor, so anybody can accept my blood, and other O people can only accept O blood.
    I eat nutritional yeast by the spoonful.

Cool! I'm O neg too!

Good luck Roxy - i'm sure you'll be fine this time. as i've mentioned i've had a few problems before but it's always worth trying again

Does it hurt?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Giving blood doesn't hurt. There is a tiny prick when the nurse puts the needle in, but that's it. You don't actually feel blood leaving your body.

Some people may feel a little lightheaded afterwards (particularly if they haven't eaten). They always have juice or gatorade available for you afterwards so that you can regain your energy.

That's good.

Do they put a bandage on the prick afterwards? I'm allergic/sensitive to latex...they should have latex-free bandages?

They put a gauze pad on the prick spot and then wrapped around my arm with stretchy gauze. You can tell them you're allergic to latex.

Good. Last spring I got bloodwork done at the doctor's and I forgot to mention the latex thing... I got a massive rash.

Everything went really well this time. I was able to donate a full bag of blood in no time at all.

I made sure to drink lots and lots of water over the last 2 days - and this seems to be the secret to a successful donation for me.

I'm kinda tired now though. For some reason giving blood makes me a bit tired. But I always feel great the next day!

Good job, Roxy!

Thanks!

Quote Roxy View Post
    Everything went really well this time. I was able to donate a full bag of blood in no time at all.

I made sure to drink lots and lots of water over the last 2 days - and this seems to be the secret to a successful donation for me.

I'm kinda tired now though. For some reason giving blood makes me a bit tired. But I always feel great the next day!
    Yay!

Yes, it was a big relief to have it all work properly this time.

Great stuff Roxy

you should give it a go if you want to Tigerlily. i can sometimes feel the needle in my arm while the blood is coming out and i sometimes get a bit of an aching feeling there afterwards but it's not too bad. they put sticky plasters on your arm here, which i guess could contain latex, but i expect they'd have a latex-free alternative.

I'll have to find out where to go for it and I'll be set.

Tigerlily, your donor clinic is at 85 Fitzroy Street.

Go here and you can type in your city name and choose a date range and you're all set.

It's the Canadian Blood Services website and there is tons of information there!

Yay! Good luck!

Thanks, I have received transfusions a couple of times and my sister in law did once too, so thanks to all the donors for saving our lives!
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote Roxy View Post
    Tigerlily, your donor clinic is at 85 Fitzroy Street.

Go here and you can type in your city name and choose a date range and you're all set.

It's the Canadian Blood Services website and there is tons of information there!

Yay! Good luck!
    Thanks.

i went to give blood today but wasn't allowed to because my iron level was marginally too low. i'm not anaemic, it's still a healthy level, but it's below the minimum allowed for giving blood.

i found out something i didn't know despite giving blood many times before:

i don't know how they test for iron levels in other countries, but in the UK they take a drop of blood from your fingertip and drop it into a copper sulphate solution, if the blood sinks to the bottom you have enough iron. mine rose straight back to the top and apparently this can be caused by any slight oily substance on the skin such as hand cream, soap, cooking oil etc.

they tested my blood electronically and found it contained 120g/l of haemoglobin, and the minimum limit for women is 125g/l. so i was barely under the limit but they can't make any exceptions.

i was disappointed because it was the first time i could give blood after my last tattoo, and now i'm having another tattoo next week i won't be able to donate again for another six months. at least i tried i suppose *shrugs*

I used to give blood as often as possible but last 2 times I donated I fainted afterwards, and one of those times was infront of an oncoming bus! I've been told if it happens again I shouldn't give any more so I'm a bit wary about giving again but would like to.

that's a shame Purplerose, some people just aren't suited to giving blood unfortunately even if there's nothing actually wrong with you. if you do want to give it another go maybe have a chat with the NBS (or Scottish equivalent) and see what they say?

Quote Gorilla View Post
    that's a shame Purplerose, some people just aren't suited to giving blood unfortunately even if there's nothing actually wrong with you. if you do want to give it another go maybe have a chat with the NBS (or Scottish equivalent) and see what they say?

yeah I think I will, I'm getting a new tattoo later this year and would like to donate beforehand.

do you have to wait six months after having a tattoo in Scotland as well?

Quote Gorilla View Post
    do you have to wait six months after having a tattoo in Scotland as well?
    I think it's a year

it used to be a year in England too but they reduced it to six months because they can do a more reliable test for hepatitis now. the nurse i saw was really pleased i knew the exact date of my tattoo and had arranged to donate the first day i was eligible again shame i didn't have quite enough haemoglobin though!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    it used to be a year in England too but they reduced it to six months because they can do a more reliable test for hepatitis now. the nurse i saw was really pleased i knew the exact date of my tattoo and had arranged to donate the first day i was eligible again shame i didn't have quite enough haemoglobin though!

och well, it really won't be that long until you can donate again after your tat and in the run up to it start eating all those iron rich foods. hope your tat goes well next week.