Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Donating blood

Default Re: Donating blood

yeah, i've been really good about getting enough iron lately, but for some reason i guess it just wasn't quite up there this time. i've never had a problem before but with the copper sulphate it's down to the nurse whether they think it sinks properly, so i could've been on the borderline before and it was interpreted as ok, but if they use the machine they can't use their discretion. i have a feeling it would've been fine if i hadn't put moisturiser on my hands this morning

i've read about your next tattoos in the tattoo thread, they sound cool, which one are you having first the flower on your toe? good luck for that!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i went to give blood today but wasn't allowed to because my iron level was marginally too low. i'm not anaemic, it's still a healthy level, but it's below the minimum allowed for giving blood.

i found out something i didn't know despite giving blood many times before:

i don't know how they test for iron levels in other countries, but in the UK they take a drop of blood from your fingertip and drop it into a copper sulphate solution, if the blood sinks to the bottom you have enough iron. mine rose straight back to the top and apparently this can be caused by any slight oily substance on the skin such as hand cream, soap, cooking oil etc.

they tested my blood electronically and found it contained 120g/l of haemoglobin, and the minimum limit for women is 125g/l. so i was barely under the limit but they can't make any exceptions.

i was disappointed because it was the first time i could give blood after my last tattoo, and now i'm having another tattoo next week i won't be able to donate again for another six months. at least i tried i suppose *shrugs*
    Awww Gorilla how disappointing for you I completely sympathise because this has happened to me the last 2 times I have been to donate. My iron levels, according to the nurse, are perfectly healthy - just not high enough for donation standards.

I really watch my iron too, by monitoring everything I eat through fitday.

About 4 years ago somebody told me that ex UK citizens in France were not allowed to give blood because of the risk from CJD. Until then I had regularly given blood here. This week I found out that that was not true at all so I will start giving blood again now.

I was going to give blood today at uni, as I've been wanting to do this for a few years, but I would have had to queue for an hour!! also I feel that my iron levels may be too low as I've not been eating very well recently. So I was going to go again in the morning, and try and get more Iron tonight, but I don't know if one day/night is long enough to bring my iron levels up to the required level.
    "On the dance-floor I am a world class freak... Its the beat"

i don't know how long it'd take to get your iron levels up, but if you know in advance that you want to go to a blood donor session you can make an appointment so you don't have to wait around for such a long time.

hope it goes well if you do go along tomorrow
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

well after all the worrying about my iron levels I didn't even get to that stage as I've had acupuncture privately and I wasn't allowed to donate until they received a certificate from them so I think I'll just wait and go into the blood donation centre in Leeds when I've got the certificate..its a bit annoying but at least I got registered...and at least my iron levels may have benefitted!

that's good you got registered Orange-powered, hope you get your certificate sorted out soon and your donation goes well.

thanks! I just want to be able to donate now! but I will post on here when I've given my first donation

I gave my first blood donation yesterday, 4 months later! it went well, I'd been preparing before hand, making sure to eat a lot of iron-rich stuff. It came out really easily too, and I felt fine afterwards, although I feel a bit weak today. Still it felt good.

yay, well done Orange-powered! glad it went well

BlackCats

Well done OP.

My iron levels were higher being vegan than when I used to give blood when I was veggie.
    I usually used to have to do the second test when they prick your finger when I was veggie and the first time I gave blood being vegan I could go straight over and give blood. I think my diet must be better now.

disturbed

I finally got around to giving blood yesterday. With all this talk about iron levels I was more worried about that then the actual blood donation!

There was a blood drive at Whole Foods yesterday but I was too late.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Hey guys,

I have only donated blood once in my life (last month actually) due to my low iron levels in the past - but all fixed now . Personally I'm happy to do it, but it got me thinking - if i'm in an accident do I really want omni blood in my veins? To be honest, I think I'd actually rather bleed out.
    "If you are what you eat, does that make you dead meat?"

If it's that or die? You wouldn't know if it's omni or veggie blood. What if it's veggie blood and you died for nothing?

Personally, I'd rather not take the chance.
    "If you are what you eat, does that make you dead meat?"

i have never donated blood. In NZ I was not allowed to do so because anyone who had been in the UK during the mad cows disease thing or years before and after were not allowed to donate blood in NZ. So i didn't.
    Now i am back in the UK i guess i should try and do it. Do they check your iron levels or something before u can donate?

yes Clawsy, they take a drop of blood from your fingertip and drop it into a solution that shows how much iron you have in your blood, before they let you donate.

Quote Memma33 View Post
    Personally, I'd rather not take the chance.
    Well each to their own I suppose but personally I would take a blood transfusion, knowing that it's probably omni blood.

I can do so much more to help the animals when I'm alive, compared to what I can do when I'm dead.

i would take a blood transfusion. my mom had to have a lot of them, and my sisters. im sure i will at some point also.

i really really really want to donate blood and so does steev, but we dont know if either of us can.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    Well done OP.

My iron levels were higher being vegan than when I used to give blood when I was veggie.
    I usually used to have to do the second test when they prick your finger when I was veggie and the first time I gave blood being vegan I could go straight over and give blood. I think my diet must be better now.
    thats great to hear aphrodite!

i know so many omnis who have anaemia. i would think vegans would be less inclined to be iron deficient.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I used to want to donate and couldn't because I'd always have had a peircing done too close to when they were collecting it.

Now that I've stopped making holes in myself I don't really want anyone else to do it either, in other words I'm too scared to.

Default Donating blood

Does anyone here donate blood on a regular basis? If not, do, its a wicked thing to do
    If so, did you find that you felt weaker or ill after giving blood as a vegan? I used to give blood alot and as I have a rather low blood pressure always felt quite dizzy and had to have a long lie-down afterwards. Anyway unfortunately, due to unforseen having-sex-with-a-guy-who's-been-bumming-boys cirumstances, I havn't been able to do it since before I became vegan and I'm a bit worried about any different effects it might have? Obviously when I go in to do it I'll talk to the nurse about it, I was just wondering if anyone has any advice?
    Can't live my life with no rhythm or rhyme

I used to want to give blood but couldn't due to having regular peircings, as time has gone by though I no longer want to give blood as I'm now scared of needles, I don't mind putting them in myself but I don't want medically trained professionals to do it

If you're in good health then being vegan should make no difference at all imho.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Haha yeah I'm terrified of needles, I usually get a bit spazzy when they're putting it in then after that I relax more I always get someone to come and be moral support though!!

Prawnil

I've donated once since becoming vegan. The haemoglobin check went totally fine, but then I gave an 'underweight bag'. They couldn't get me to bleed enough. I'm sure, and the staff were sure that it was mainly because of how awkward my arm veins are to find, so the needle wasn't at a good angle. They messed around in there for ages - gave me a bruise the size of my fist.
    Anyway, though I didn't quite give as much as normal, I felt, if anything, slightly less lightheaded afterwards.

moggy

I used to not give blood because I was a coward, then because I was on thyroxine. Then the rules changed so that if you were stable on your thyroxine you could give blood, so I did, no problem. Havent given for a few years now due to recurrent throat problems and now unstable thyroid. When giving blood I used to always joke for them to label it suitable for vegans.
    Giving blood that may go to a meateater doesnt bother me, but the thought of organ donation does. Illogical I know.

How long is it necessary to wait after being in a sexual relationship with a male bi-sexual? They don't want blood in those circumstances if the relationship was within a year, but I would imagine you'd need to have HIV tests prior to being cleared to giving blood. (But I'm sure you've looked into all that.)

I too am a baby when it comes to needles ... I just don't look and once it's in I'm OK on that front. However, I got very faint and felt sick. It wasn't nice. Felt very lightheaded and felt slightly mashed (not in a good way). But hey, half an hour later I was fine.

And you get a free biscuit so do it folks!!

Ive never had a good experience with giving blood - mainly my own fault since I've always had too low blood pressure and low iron when I went to donate. The sucky thing is, if the hemoglobin levels are alright, they dont take into account blood pressure or blood sugar, so some people feel really sick afterwards. And its even worse at the doctors with all those IVs cause they tend to give me big black bruises as well. I think its a great thing, but I'd only really do it if you feel like you can handle all that.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I gave blood yesterday. It's the first time I've done it in a few years and also the first time since I've been vegan. I didn't notice anything different from before. My iron levels were fine and didn't feel dizzy but I've never had problems with it in the past. I think it depends more on the person than the vegan lifestyle.

I've tried several times, the first few before I was vegan, and the last time was about 3 years ago (so 8 years into being vegan). I've never had a problem with the pre tests, always had enough iron in the blood or whatever it is they test for, but I always get sick and dizzy about 2/3 of the way through filling the bag. I've come to the conclusion it's not worth me trying any more as it just doesn't suit me, which is a shame
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    I've tried several times, the first few before I was vegan, and the last time was about 3 years ago (so 8 years into being vegan). I've never had a problem with the pre tests, always had enough iron in the blood or whatever it is they test for, but I always get sick and dizzy about 2/3 of the way through filling the bag. I've come to the conclusion it's not worth me trying any more as it just doesn't suit me, which is a shame
    That is a shame. Good on you for trying though, most people probably would have just given up first time!

we already have a thread about this, see here: Donating blood

Quote cornishdreadhead View Post
    Does anyone here donate blood on a regular basis? If not, do, its a wicked thing to do
    If so, did you find that you felt weaker or ill after giving blood as a vegan? I used to give blood alot and as I have a rather low blood pressure always felt quite dizzy and had to have a long lie-down afterwards. Anyway unfortunately, due to unforseen having-sex-with-a-guy-who's-been-bumming-boys cirumstances, I havn't been able to do it since before I became vegan and I'm a bit worried about any different effects it might have? Obviously when I go in to do it I'll talk to the nurse about it, I was just wondering if anyone has any advice?
    i'm pretty sure you can't ever give blood again if you've had sex with a man who's had sex with another man.

^I thought so too gorilla but I checked and it's 12 months.

where did you look that up? i went to the National Blood Service website and looked at the eligibility questions, if you answer 'yes' to having sex with a man who's had sex with another man, it says you can't give blood. there's no mention of waiting 12 months

That websites rubbish, answering yes/no questions is annoying, I'd rather just be told the rules. Anyway, I found this page on the same website (via google) and it actually tells you the rules.

https://secure.blood.co.uk/c11_cant.asp

ah i see, thanks - it seems the rules aren't quite as strict as i thought.

eta: that does seem a little unfair though - as a woman having sex with a bisexual man you have to wait 12 months, but if you're a man who's EVER had sex with another man, even just once you can never give blood. doesn't make a lot of sense to me...

anyway, in answer to the question, i've given blood as both a veggie and a vegan and i've been fine. i was below the haemoglobin level last time i went though, i've always had trouble keeping my iron levels high, but i wasn't anaemic, just too low to donate blood.

Quote moggy View Post
    Giving blood that may go to a meateater doesnt bother me, but the thought of organ donation does. Illogical I know.
    I dont think it is illogical. When you donate blood, the person it goes to does not need to pump their body with lots of antirejection drugs that directly support animal experiments. On the other hand, organ donation, does support the chemical industry and therefore, also animal experiments.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    as a woman having sex with a bisexual man you have to wait 12 months, but if you're a man who's EVER had sex with another man, even just once you can never give blood.
    .....why the hell not???

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    .....why the hell not???
    I think It's probably due to the risk of certain STD's being higher in gay men than bisexual men? Not saying it's right, just think that's the logic used.

I meant why do they have those rules at all, that's just discrimination. Cuz straight people never get stds. Don't they have to test all the blood anyway? If not, they should.

^ exactly, they test all the blood, next thing you know they are going to say women can't donate blood, cause you know now in the U.S. 1 in 4 teenage girls have some sort of a STD, or perhaps they'll deny certain races....makes sense to me...

blood is freaking blood!!!! the world never ceases to amaze me.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

BlackCats

I meant why do they have those rules at all, that's just discrimination. Cuz straight people never get stds. Don't they have to test all the blood anyway? If not, they should.
    I don't understand this either. I actually questioned a nurse when I gave blood last time and she was quite rude and homophobic and actually said to me "if you aren't gay why are you asking about it?" I don't know how she knew I wasn't gay. Also the form asks you about sex with prostitutes and I would have thought that if you used your body for your job you would be more likely to use protection rather than the average person who might forget a condom when they had sex when they were drunk or something.

Thought this might interest you - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7283541.stm
    "Campaigners are calling for tight restrictions on sexually active gay men donating blood to be relaxed." And the campaign's website is http://www.bloodban.co.uk/

[It claims to be UK-wide but I can't find any reference to Scotland, which has a different blood transfusion service though their policy on gay men being donors is the same. Just my usual rant against lack of clarity re: UK/England...]

Anyway, you can sign the petition etc. if you believe (as I do) that the lifetime ban on one group of people is wrong.

BlackCats

Quote AnneCE View Post
    Anyway, you can sign the petition etc. if you believe (as I do) that the lifetime ban on one group of people is wrong.
    Thanks.

.....why the hell not???
    they say it's because sexually active gay men are supposedly more likely to have HIV/AIDS and although they test all the blood for disease, a recent infection could slip through the net. it seems discriminatory that gay men can't wait 12 months after having sex with another man before they donate though. there's a long explanation on their website here

^ I know that this may be rude and I don't believe it, but isn't it said that there is a high amount of African Americans with HIV/AIDS
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Hooray I went and gave blood yesterday and it was wicked I didn't faint all over the place or anything!! Although Ilm really scared of needles an I was being a bit of a fassy when she was putting it in and she said "I sincerely hope you don't plan on having kids in later life" which I thought was a bit mean....!
    Also when I was queueing up to talk to the nurse before donating, and when I got there she noticed that I'd been "exempt for medical reasons before" and wnated to know why and made me tell her infront of about 30 people (it was really quiet in there) that I'd had sex with a man who'd been having sex with other men....not that I'm embarassed really but you'd think they'd be a touch more discreet!! Seeing as I'm giving them such a lovely bloody gift!!

i gave blood yesterday for the first time in over a year due to having a tattoo and then being ill for a long time. it was my tenth donation and they gave me a little badge and a certificate yay! my iron levels were good as i've been eating a lot of tofu and whole grains lately, and i felt fine afterwards.