Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Donating blood

Default Re: Donating blood

Quote missbettie View Post
    ^ I know that this may be rude and I don't believe it, but isn't it said that there is a high amount of African Americans with HIV/AIDS
    hi, I don't think that your question is rude at all, but it kinda depends on where you're going with it ... I'm in new york and here's a page with statistics relating to HIV/AIDS:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/html/ah/ah.shtml

Here's a set of statistics from that page:

"
    More than 80% of new AIDS diagnoses and deaths are among African Americans and Hispanics. Black men in New York City are 6 times more likely to die of AIDS than white men; black women are 9 times more likely to die of AIDS than white women. Hispanic men and women are 4 times more likely to die of AIDS than white men and women.
    "

I think a key component to understanding these statistics is to understand that blacks ( & other "colored" people in general ) are less likely to receive first class quality medical care, for a host of different reasons. So, if they have the virus, then they are less likely diagnosed and continue in the population longer and this and that.

So, I don't think its rude question. It "sucks" because, as a black person, it just makes it that much harder to live a "normal" life full of sensuality and sexuality ... that much harder to get a job, be seen as "normal" and this and that ... which all lead to that sense of desperation that lead to you to taking anyone sometimes rather than thinking things through, maybe ... it also makes for a generally more unstable life with crazier things happening, people reacting oddly towards you - insulating themselves from you, somewhat leading back into that cycle.

that's bonkers!! so gay men or bi men can never give blood?? eh? am i missing something?
    "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

well, i want to donate blood but i can't. and no i haven't been bumming men. the australian red cross doesn't allow donations from people who spent 6 months or longer in the uk between 1980 and 1996...

just in case we have BSE (mad cow disease).

and in regards to organ donation... that's a tough one. why should a person who excessively ate meat all their lives be rewarded with a pristine vegan organ from someone who died prematurely in a car crash?

EcoTribalVegan

I don't donate blood anymore because Canadian Blood Services tests on animals...

WHATTTTT???? Can you please give me a bit more info on that Eco, or tell me where I can go to read about that? I have donated through the Canadian Blood Services, but would like to know how and why they are conducting animal testing.

EcoTribalVegan

It was in a little booklet we received when we donated to PeTA (this was over a year ago when I thought PeTA was actually not too bad).
    Here's a link citing it though:
    http://goodtree.com/causes/1600-Supp...est-on-Animals

Quote Manzana View Post
    I dont think it is illogical. When you donate blood, the person it goes to does not need to pump their body with lots of antirejection drugs that directly support animal experiments. On the other hand, organ donation, does support the chemical industry and therefore, also animal experiments.

I received a shiteload of donated blood/blood products when I had leukaemia. Treatment involved drugs that were probably tested on animals. Like I've said previously on another thread, if hadn't have had those drugs (and the donated blood), my organs would have shut down. If I relapse, I will require a bone marrow transplant, and probably more blood.

I really like the healthy difference of opinion that occurs in this forum, but I can't stand the judging, tacit or no.

I would really like to donate blood, but according to the Red Cross MD I spoke to, leukaemia puts me on the naughty list for life!

Quote EcoTribalVegan View Post
    It was in a little booklet we received when we donated to PeTA (this was over a year ago when I thought PeTA was actually not too bad).
    Here's a link citing it though:
    http://goodtree.com/causes/1600-Supp...est-on-Animals
    Thanks for that.

That really sucks though, that they're still funding animal experiments!!

It makes me wonder if my blood has been used for other purposes (other than for helping to save a human's life).

Mahk

Quote buttons View Post
    I received a shiteload of donated blood/blood products when I had leukaemia. Treatment involved drugs that were probably tested on animals. Like I've said previously on another thread, if hadn't have had those drugs (and the donated blood), my organs would have shut down. If I relapse, I will require a bone marrow transplant, and probably more blood.

I really like the healthy difference of opinion that occurs in this forum, but I can't stand the judging, tacit or no.
    Agreed. Under this logic we should all boycott all doctors, dentists and veterinarians in general because animal testing is rampant in all those industries on an on going basis whether we like it or not. No more doctors, dentists, or vets for us. Your individual doctor/dentist/vet may not have ever killed an animal personally, but that doesn't mean all their knowledge of what to do, how to do it, how much medicine to administer to you safely etc. didn't come from countless animal deaths done by others in their field every single day.

"Over half the experiments [animal] in Britain in 2004 — 1,710,760 — were conducted without anesthetic; 880,897 experiments were conducted in connection with pure research; 114,081 were toxicology tests, 982,640 were for breeding, and most of the rest were for applied studies in human medicine, veterinary medicine or dentistry."

Animal testing source.

Your dog vomiting blood? Have a toothache? 10-year-old daughter crying in pain from internal bleeding? Oh well, eat more raw food and maybe the problem will just go away.

Get in a car accident and loose a lot of blood? Don't get in that ambulance! They're bound to want to give you a blood transfusion or apply other medicines and procedures that were undoubtedly animal tested. You probably should just curl up into a ball and die a slow lingering death there on the road just like all the other unfortunate squirrels and animals who become roadkill everyday. Don't treat human life any differently than the other road kill animals; that would be speciesism after all.

Quote Manimal View Post
    why should a person who excessively ate meat all their lives be rewarded with a pristine vegan organ from someone who died prematurely in a car crash?
    Quite, quite. The dying child in need of a new organ would most likely agree with you.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Quote Mahk View Post
    Agreed. Under this logic we should all boycott all doctors, dentists and veterinaries in general because animal testing is rampant in all those industries on an on going basis whether we like it or not. No more doctors, dentists, or vets for us. Your individual doctor/dentist/vet may not have ever killed an animal personally, but that doesn't mean all their knowledge of what to do, how to do it, how much medicine to administer to you safely etc. didn't come from countless animal deaths done by others in their field every single day.

"Over half the experiments [animal] in Britain in 2004 — 1,710,760 — were conducted without anesthetic; 880,897 experiments were conducted in connection with pure research; 114,081 were toxicology tests, 982,640 were for breeding, and most of the rest were for applied studies in human medicine, veterinary medicine or dentistry."

Animal testing source.

Your dog vomiting blood? Have a toothache? 10-year-old daughter crying in pain from internal bleeding? Oh well, eat more raw food and maybe the problem will just go away.

Get in a car accident and loose a lot of blood? Don't get in that ambulance! They're bound to want to give you a blood transfusion or apply other medicines and procedures that were undoubtedly animal tested. You probably should just curl up into a ball and die a slow lingering death there on the road just like all the other unfortunate squirrels and animals who become roadkill everyday. Don't treat human life any differently than the other road kill animals; that would be speciesism after all.
    Best post I've ever read on this forum.
    Can't live my life with no rhythm or rhyme

Mahk

Thanks.

EcoTribalVegan

Once again, you could use things that were discovered without the assistance of animal testing.

Mahk

Quote EcoTribalVegan View Post
    Once again, you could use things that were discovered without the assistance of animal testing.
    True, committing suicide or murdering your 10-year-old daughter or dog would indeed be options for some of us. I don't think there's a alternative medicine on the market that cures partially severed limbs or induces spontaneous liver transplant, for example. Or do they have that now?

seitan

i thought id posted in thsi thread, but it appears not.
    i have never donated blood, and wouldnt, unless i knew for sure who it was going to, and that person would have to be vegan, otherwise, i wouldnt do it.
    im the misanthrope dont forget

I find it unbelievable and actually quite disturbing that you wouldn't potentially save someone's life purely because they have a different view on eating animals to you.
    Taking it a little too far perhaps?

seitan

Quote cornishdreadhead View Post
    I find it unbelievable and actually quite disturbing that you wouldn't potentially save someone's life purely because they have a different view on eating animals to you.
    are YOU serious? when i get visions in my head all the fuckin time, of the shit animals go through because of selfish asshole humans, you expect me to feel sympathy for them?

its not just a "different view" at all, these people partake in smashing fuck out of animals (or having it done in their name), and if they need blood, cos theyve fucked themselves up cos of the shit they eat, you expect me to help them???
    sorry to disturb you ,but there is no way im gonna be helping anybody like that, i take veganism very seriously.
    its taken me nearly 25 years of being vegan to make me this misanthropic

seitan

i havent finished. taking it a little far in not wanting animals to be the brunt of human greed and selfishness, not wanting them to suffer and die because of selfish humans? you think thats taking it too far?

Quote seitan View Post
    are YOU serious? when i get visions in my head all the fuckin time, of the shit animals go through because of selfish asshole humans, you expect me to feel sympathy for them?

its not just a "different view" at all, these people partake in smashing fuck out of animals (or having it done in their name), and if they need blood, cos theyve fucked themselves up cos of the shit they eat, you expect me to help them???
    sorry to disturb you ,but there is no way im gonna be helping anybody like that, i take veganism very seriously.
    its taken me nearly 25 years of being vegan to make me this misanthropic
    I take my veganism very seriously too, read as: MY veganism. This means I don't think that people deserve to die because they eat meat.
    Its funny, I always think of vegans being more open-minded and understanding than most people, but you've just completely proved me wrong.
    Oh and by the way, didn't you ever eat meat? Surely everyone is a potential vegan convert?

Mahk

I was surprised too. Under this logic we should be happy to hear our omni next door neighbors have been murdered in a robbery because there will therefor be less animal abuse/demand. Isn't prioritizing animal life over human life speciesism?

seitan

I take my veganism very seriously too, read as: MY veganism. This means I don't think that people deserve to die because they eat meat.
    i would not be killing somebody who may have needed my blood, they put themselves into that position, im not going to be made guilty for their own actions, just like no-one shoudl feel guilty for not helping me if im in hospital after a car crash, wh yshould someone else be responsible for somehting i partook in?
    for me its not MY veganism, i dont do it for me.

Its funny, I always think of vegans being more open-minded and understanding than most people, but you've just completely proved me wrong.
    nice one ,all vegans are now not open minded because you beleive i am not thats just like meat eaters sayign they met a vegan like me, so all vegans are bad...........

Oh and by the way, didn't you ever eat meat? Surely everyone is a potential vegan convert?
    yes i did.
    im not in to gambling with animals lives that someone MAY go veg*n (this is a good argument human breeders try to come up with), i place more importance in their lives than hoping (cos thats all it is) some human will eventually get it.

seitan

Quote Mahk View Post
    I was surprised too. Under this logic we should be happy to hear our omni next door neighbors have been murdered because there will therefor be less animal abuse/demand. Isn't prioritizing animal life over human life speciesism?
    well,as im a misanthrope, you could well claim that.

Quote seitan View Post
    i would not be killing somebody who may have needed my blood, they put themselves into that position, im not going to be made guilty for their own actions, just like no-one shoudl feel guilty for not helping me if im in hospital after a car crash, wh yshould someone else be responsible for somehting i partook in?
    It's not about feeling guilty, or resposnible, it's about having enough respect for your fellow human beings to want to help people without guilt or anything like that being a factor.
    Personally, I believe in the sanctity of life, wether that's the life of an animal, or a fellow human animal, wether I agree with that human's way of living their life or not. For me, giving blood is like a way of showing my appreciation for the fact that I've been given the gift of life, and if I can help someone else preserve their life, I'm honoured, meat eater or no.

Quote seitan View Post
    nice one ,all vegans are now not open minded because you beleive i am not thats just like meat eaters sayign they met a vegan like me, so all vegans are bad...........
    Don't be a pedantic twat. What I was trying to say is that I thought all vegans were openminded, and I've been proven wrong.
    I bet you're one of those militant vegans that can't even bring yourself to be friends with omnis and vegetarians aren't you?

seitan

Don't be a pedantic twat. What I was trying to say is that I thought all vegans were openminded, and I've been proven wrong.
    im sory you felt the need to be aggressive, even tho im not at all bothered by that, i deal with it every day at work
    you are obviously very naive then to think that all vegans would think like you do.
    id like you explain your definition of open mionded tho, cos it seems you are implying anybody who disagrees with yuo is not open minded.

I bet you're one of those militant vegans that can't even bring yourself to be friends with omnis and vegetarians aren't you?
    im not sure what this has to do with this debate apart from an atempt to put me down, but you will obviosuly thin kwhat you wnat.

Quote seitan View Post
    im sory you felt the need to be aggressive, even tho im not at all bothered by that, i deal with it every day at work
    you are obviously very naive then to think that all vegans would think like you do.
    id like you explain your definition of open mionded tho, cos it seems you are implying anybody who disagrees with yuo is not open minded.

im not sure what this has to do with this debate apart from an atempt to put me down, but you will obviosuly thin kwhat you wnat.
    My definition of open minded is someone that can understand that people have different opninions on things like eating meat, and don't automatically think that these people deserve to die for it.

seitan

My definition of open minded is someone that can understand that people have different opninions on things like eating meat, and don't automatically think that these people deserve to die for it.
    thats settled then, i understand people have differing views (seems quite obviousl really.....). if people become ill throuhg eating animlas, im hardly going to sympathise

I think the point of it though that I'm not understanding, Seitan, is that even though you would refuse to give blood to a meat-eater due to their ways of living, you have to understand that you could potentially be saving the life of a vegan as well, thus furthering THE CAUSE. Also, as I've said before, I hardly hold children into account for what they eat, as they're only doing as their parents tell them, and they don't have a choice. Children are unintentionally ignorant and I don't see it fair to judge a child so harshly. What if one needed your blood? Would you deny a little kid life because he was not vegan??

Personally, I give blood because I believe in having compassion for all things, but to each his own.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

seitan

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    I think the point of it though that I'm not understanding, Seitan, is that even though you would refuse to give blood to a meat-eater due to their ways of living, you have to understand that you could potentially be saving the life of a vegan as well, thus furthering THE CAUSE. Also, as I've said before, I hardly hold children into account for what they eat, as they're only doing as their parents tell them, and they don't have a choice. Children are unintentionally ignorant and I don't see it fair to judge a child so harshly. What if one needed your blood? Would you deny a little kid life because he was not vegan??

Personally, I give blood because I believe in having compassion for all things, but to each his own.
    i wouldnt give blood unless i knew they were vegan.

Quote buttons View Post

It is clear from the previous post that i was not trying to judge you for using products tested on animals (in this case drugs). I was making a clear difference between donating blood and organs and pointing out that it is not illogical to feel different about one and the other.

Quote Mahk View Post
    I was surprised too. Under this logic we should be happy to hear our omni next door neighbors have been murdered in a robbery because there will therefor be less animal abuse/demand. Isn't prioritizing animal life over human life speciesism?
    I dont think your argument is logical.

Not wanting to get involved is not the same as being happy about people getting murdered.

Don't be a pedantic twat. [...]
    I think most people would agree that these comments are disrespectful and unnecessary.

sugarmouse

Quote Manzana View Post
    I think most people would agree that these comments are disrespectful and unnecessary.
    I didn't see anything pedantic in the post either.

Hi all,
    please respect our guideline about focusing on opinions, not people - no name calling please. Also: please avoid these 'people hating' posts.

I killed a living being today - I was eating dinner outdoors, and forgot to remove a glass containing some juice. When I came back, there was a dead insect in it - due to my behavior. Based on the black-and-whitish 'meat-is-murder' slogan, meat eaters are murders, but vegans who contribute to the death of other living beings are also 'murderers'.

Everything has a reason - and there's a reason so many people eat meat: their parents, schools, media and school have massively influenced them (and most of our members) to do so - for years. To define someone who eats meat as a selfish a**hole is way to black-and-white for me; this meat eating person could be a helpful, humble and wise person who simply hasn't focused on vegan perspectives, or may have been taught that humans need animal products to survive for so long that he believes it's true.

We could of course assume that all vegans are great, altruistic people, and never selfish/egoistical beings - but let's stick to reality: Vegans and meat eaters alike come in all kinds of shapes, colors and personalities.

Mahk

Quote Manzana View Post
    I dont think your argument is logical.

Not wanting to get involved is not the same as being happy about people getting murdered.
    OK here's a better analogy. Say I see my omni neighbor's baby cleverly escape her crib and crawl out on to the street while her unobservant mother has gone back inside to answer the telephone. I will unhesitatingly "get involved" and dart out to save it from on coming traffic. I don't analyze first how many animal lives will I spare by allowing the omni baby human to die. Same scenario would apply if it was a kitten instead, an obligate carnivore which could never become converted to veganism safely.

It saddens me that some vegans don't consider homo sapiens as animals, who deserve life, and will refuse to provide medical assistance, donating blood/organs as an example, under the assumption that there is a 99% likelihood it will benefit a meat eating one.

Mahk

Quote Korn View Post
    I killed a living being today - I was eating dinner outdoors, and forgot to remove a glass containing some juice. When I came back, there was a dead insect in it - due to my behavior. Based on the black-and-whitish 'meat-is-murder' slogan, meat eaters are murders, but vegans who contribute to the death of other living beings are also 'murderers'.
    Korn, I'd say more the insect committed suicide. I have the same problem with certain light fixtures. Despite having screens on all my windows, when I change the light bulbs I notice a new grave yard of bugs has formed. Oh well, what else can I do, live in darkness? How selfish of us to use lights when we all know that insects' lives are at stake. Speciesism I'd call it.

I'm giving plasma tomorrow afternoon yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyayayay

Korn, I'd say more the insect committed suicide.
    I don't think it was intentional...
    The example was only one of many episodes that vegans directly or indirectly contribute to harming others. Also, even if someone does whatever he can to avoid to hurt animals, he may contribute to other damage... economical/political/psychological/environmental and so on. Life is about so much more than animals, which is why I find a 'filter' between vegans and other human beings a bit awkward, whether it's about donating blood, helping others or just make friends with people.

I can't give blood because I've had a transfusion. It seems so mad, I want to help someone like someone helped me in my time of need!

And I just like to say that without the transfusion i would have died. The blood may have come from a meat-eater or a vegan, but that person saved my life by giving blood. If I could do the same for ANYONE I would do it in a second.

I find this quite offensive, Seitan:

i would not be killing somebody who may have needed my blood, they put themselves into that position
    and

I did not put myself in the position where I needed blood. I didn't say "Oh, today I'm going to get so messed up and loose so much blood, I'm going to get some more!" I won't elaborate, but why would you assume someone would do this/ it's because of what I'd eaten?!

I would still give blood, i havent as i just havent found the right time but it wouldnt bother me knowing a omni had some of my blood. I have many omni friends and family and i love them dearly and if one of my meat eating members of family needed my kidney i would give them that to. No i dont agree with there eating habit, yes i get angry everyday when i see people not giving a crap about animals but i cant do anything about it, i have to accept it and look past it or i would live a lonely, angry and solitude life.

Quote !! View Post
    I did not put myself in the position where I needed blood. I didn't say "Oh, today I'm going to get so messed up and loose so much blood, I'm going to get some more!" I won't elaborate, but why would you assume someone would do this/ it's because of what I'd eaten?!
    ^^qft. blood transfusions are rarely anything to do with someone's diet. anyone could have an accident, injury or illness that causes them to need blood, regardless of whether they've vegan or omni.

would you want a vegan who was stabbed or fell through a glass window etc. to die of blood loss because there wasn't enough blood for them to have a transfusion?
    Last edited by Gorilla; Aug 4th, 2008 at 04:03 PM. Reason: to make it clearer that i was agreeing with !! not arguing
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

I wasn't saying that a diet would cause you to need a blood transfusion, a previous poster was! I was just trying to fathom where someone would get that idea from! If you have a look at my post I was saying it's rather offensive that someone would say that people put themselves in a position to need one in the first place!

Quote tresu View Post
    Well done!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Quote !! View Post
    I wasn't saying that a diet would cause you to need a blood transfusion, a previous poster was! I was just trying to fathom where someone would get that idea from! If you have a look at my post I was saying it's rather offensive that someone would say that people put themselves in a position to need one in the first place!
    i know, i was quoting your post to add to what you'd said.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote tresu View Post
    well done indeed. you have to be super-healthy and committed to do that, don't you?

seitan

Quote Mahk View Post
    an obligate carnivore which could never become converted to veganism safely.
    ha ha, i guess, ,for your own benefit (get out clause), you need to explain what you mean by "safely"

Quote Mahk View Post
    It saddens me that some vegans don't consider homo sapiens as animals, who deserve life, and will refuse to provide medical assistance, donating blood/organs as an example, under the assumption that there is a 99% likelihood it will benefit a meat eating one.
    i know humans are animals. "deserve" life? do you mena deserve to carrying on livign ,ro do you mean i should pro-create as much as possible as these humans deserve to live? could you clarify?

i would not sacrifice an animal for a human, you obviously would, we see veganism very differently.

seitan

Quote !! View Post
    If I could do the same for ANYONE I would do it in a second.
    and thats your choice, but there are plenty of people i would not want to help.

Quote !! View Post
    I find this quite offensive, Seitan:

and

nice one, argue with what ive said, but withhold information. thats fine, you dont have to divulge, but you can hardly expect a response

I don't really want to share such personal information I hope you can understand why I wouldn't want to on such a public forum. I do think my point still remains though, that the situation was nothing to do with my diet or lifestyle. But you'll have to trust me on that one, and that's up to you!

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i know, i was quoting your post to add to what you'd said.
    My apologies

Can i just point out, that whether someone is a vegan (or not), they are always going to have an impact on the planet (and also on the other animals that live on it)... so:

I can see why some poeple would not want to donate blood (to vegans or not vegans). Since saving a person's life sometimes means other beings (maybe even humans) losing theirs as a result.

I can also see why some people would want to donate blood just to vegans (since they consider the impact the vegans have on the planet acceptable but not the impact of not vegans)

I can also see why some people want to donate blood regardless of who it goes to (since they consider saving a humans life is worth the possible/certain death of other creatures as a result of this human being alive)

What I dont understand, is why do we have to be so judgemental of people that have obviously made an informed (and well reasoned) choice that happens to disagree with our own???? Seitan has made a valid and reasoned argument that disagrees with most people's on this thread (including me btw!), so why is he getting so much abuse?