Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Vegan snacks

Default Vegan snacks

[From the 'Veganforum 1'-archive:]

M45 Posted: Apr 5 2004, 09:49 PM

Ok guys, I'm going crazy. Since switching to my diet I have been limmited to a very small food ritual. For the past 3 days ive been eating the same thing....

Bowl of Grape Nuts (Shreaded) With Blue Berries and Silk (of course)
    Whole Grain Wheat Bread Toast with Peanut Butter
    PBJ with Whole Grain Wheat Bread
    An Orange or an Apple
    Cereal Again

I need to eat something else before I go crazy...Can you guys tell me some common (good tasting) easy to find snacks?

Thanks

foxytina_69 Posted: Apr 5 2004, 11:35 PM

i was that way too when i first started! i always ate teh same thing. (actually i still do it lol. i go thru obsessions of food for a week and then switch to sumthing new)

snacks hmm? well i suggest...

dried fruits (mango and pineapple dried are yummy!) raisins, and any other kind.

smoothies! (any combination u like. a suggestion that can be altered: 1/2 cup of sliced strawberries, 1/2 banana, cup of ice and 1 1/2 cups of juice, such as organic juices or just plain orange juice, or even soymilk) smoothies are very nice, especially now that its getting hotter out and its easy to get in your fruits that way

fruit puree's? kindof like apple sauce. (blend strawberries and mango together and there u have a fruit sauce)

a snack mix is easy to make. (i see u like cereal!) but u could zest it up a bit by throwing sum cereal in a plastic bag, add sum pretzels, sum cheerios, and put in a bit of seasoning and shake up.

celery with peanut butter in the creviced part (my mom always used to have us eat that when we were little )

how about toast and jam? u could experiment with different kinds of jams.

pita bread dipped in hummus? (hummus is a sauce made of just chickpeas, garlic, lime or lemon juice and peanut oil all blended together)

salads. u could jazz them up. add sliced olives, mandarin orange bits, pineapple bits, apple bits, veggies sliced all different ways. (be creative! u can even make your own dressings. i like to make blueberry or raspberry dressing with just raspberries/blueberries blended up and then add a little balsamic vinegar and olive oil)

do u like baking at all? u could always look up recipes and make your own snacks! (i was thinking homemade baked bread pretzels!)

dark chocolate? (i like raspberry bits in mine!)

what about crackers with different sorts of things on them? u could try sliced tomatos and capers, olives, salsa...

what about different KINDS of peanut butter? if u have a healthfood store around u, u could always go check it out. they have several different kinds of peanut butters, like hazelnut, sesame, etc.

being vegan is all about being creative! u will notice the furthur u get into veganism the more u will find yourself cooking and experimenting.

M45 Posted: Apr 6 2004, 11:13 PM

Thanks for the help. Will have to make a list for things for mom (she works near a Trader Joes, and they more than likely have the stuff i'm looking for) to pick up some more items, because my no good local stores aren't helping.

foxytina_69 Posted: Apr 7 2004, 02:02 AM

Default What do you snack on?

Between meals, I tend to snack on:
    fresh fruit
    dried fruit (particularly medjool dates, figs, apricots, apples and prunes)
    mungbean and soybean chips
    puffed corn
    corn thins
    rice cakes

POPCORN!!!!!
    and lately lots of chocolate chips. Yay stress eating.
    Normally crackers, fruit, corn chips and salsa and of course POPCORN!!!!! I lub my air popper (I have been wanting to say lub for love all day)

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

i loooove to snack on popcorn w/ nutritional yeast, spices and hot sauce. mmmm. way better than butter smothered popcorn!

i also like trail mix, any kinds of peanuts, spicy dried pea mixture, and ofcourse brown rice chips, but i have those rarely. i dont really snack that often.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

I just finished a bowl of popcorn with olive oil, sea salt and nutritional yeast on it.
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Quote assilembob
    I just finished a bowl of popcorn with olive oil, sea salt and nutritional yeast on it.

I'm jealous! that sounds yummy

Popcorn with nutritional yeast
    prunes and medjool dates
    tamari almonds
    peanut butterrrrr or almonds butter (always mixed with something)

I don't ususally snack between meals....I usually have these after dinner...

I snack a lot.

Fruits (especially bananas)
    Dry cereal
    These fig bar cookies
    Rice cookies
    Chips (if we have them at home)

I don't like popcorn though. Haha, that probably sounds really weird.

Quote Banana
    dried fruit (particularly medjool dates,
    i didn't know you like them dates - strange you haven't mentioned it before!

(i'm so funny i could die laughing. would that be suicide?)

Bread with nutritional yeast and flaxseed oil.
    Dried calimyrna figs.
    Dried dates stuffed with Brazil nuts.
    Raw laver, an Atlantic coast sea vegetable.

PinkFluffyCloud

Carrots dipped in Homous
    Wholemeal toast with Yeast Extract and fresh sprouted Legumes
    Bananas
    Plain Crackers
    (And I have finally given up snacking on sweet biscuits!)

I used to eat those Uncle Eddie's cookies which are delicious, but I recently gave them up. Somehow, I lost my sweet tooth without trying.

Pita and hoummos
    apples
    usually if I feel like snacking, I drink water instead. It's a good way to remember.

Quote John
    I used to eat those Uncle Eddie's cookies which are delicious, but I recently gave them up. Somehow, I lost my sweet tooth without trying.
    Have you ever been to a bakery in Montclair, I think on Walnut St that sells vegan breads, cookies, crackers, and sandwiches? Very tasty stuff but I don't know if they are still around, haven't been there in a couple of years.

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote John
    LUCKY, LUCKY YOU!!!!!!

I'm trying not to snack, trying to drink more fluids. Prunes, figs, raisins, sultanas, a handful of almonds, a couple of brazil nuts, or cashews do me. Saying that, i'm just about to scoff an allgoode organics organic pure food bar (thanks cc).

LOL - I just ate waaaaaaay too many figs - two handfuls - probably around 9 altogether - I guess I needed the calcium...

For snack I like eating some dried fruits, fresh fruits, nuts, a piece of bread or crackers (rice/tapioca/sesame/etc...)
    And of course I always drink a lot of tea ^^
    One day, I'll die from an Asian junk food overdose ! lol

Default Re: Vegan snacks

Quote feline01
    Have you ever been to a bakery in Montclair, I think on Walnut St that sells vegan breads, cookies, crackers, and sandwiches? Very tasty stuff but I don't know if they are still around, haven't been there in a couple of years.

Vegan sandwiches???? if someone finds out they are still open please do inform me

Quote Tigerlily
    I snack a lot.
    I don't like popcorn though. Haha, that probably sounds really weird.
    I don't like popcorn and either does my partner!

My favorite snack, junk food wise, is chips and salsa. Or guacamole, chips and salsa with some olives on the side. I love guacamole.

Other good snacks are hummus with whole wheat pita bread and veggies (I like raw broccoli, red pepper peices and cucumbers). Olives (my favorite food). Potato Chips. Soy pepperonni slices. Soy nuts. Nuts in general. Raisons, dried fruits. Fruit/veggies in general. Itallian bread dipped in olive oil (you can mix salt/herbs in too). Smoothies made w/banana, vanilla soymilk, pb and some icecubes.

I always bring these things in the car for road trips:
    Almonds, Trail mix, Luna Bars, Soy Jerky, Tings (vegan cheetos), apples, grapes, soy yogurt, bottled water, jar of peanut butter and a loaf of whole wheat bread. And a carton of Silk Soycreamer (not as a snack, but just to have around )

I don't really snack between meals. I snack at night while cooking or on weekends sometimes we have snacky foods for dinner and watch a movie. When I have friends staying over, I usually make sure I have guacomole, salsa and chips around. I also bake a ton of vegan chocolate chip cookies and make vegan Banana Chocolate Chip muffins for breakfast and then friends can snack throughout the day on them as well.

I find hummus w/veggies and pita is a good thing to bring to work as a snack.

Wildflower:

Does the silk soy creamer come in little closed cups like creamers in restuarants and do you need to keep it cold?

I'd love to find something to take on the road as my hubby likes milk in his coffee--I can drink mine with or without soymilk.

Quote tasha
    Wildflower:

Does the silk soy creamer come in little closed cups like creamers in restuarants and do you need to keep it cold?

I'd love to find something to take on the road as my hubby likes milk in his coffee--I can drink mine with or without soymilk.

No, unfortunately, it comes in a pint sized carton with a screw on lid like soymilk. (see picture here) And it has to be kept cold, I bring a cooler with.

What I have done in the past, is buy the individual "juice box" like soymilks for the road. They do not need refridgeration and are meant to be drank by 1 person. Sharing one would work well for 2 cups of coffee. It could probably last all day in the car opened if you couldn't drink it all. Not as rich as creamer though.

It is not liquid, but you can buy vegan instant creamer packets from FoodFight! online. They do have hydrogented oils in them though...

Thumbs up Toasted Granola Snack Mix

2 cups large flake rolled oats (not instant or quick-cook: need 'old-fashioned')
    1/2 cup medium flake coconut
    1/4 cup shelled roasted sunflower seeds
    1/2 cup finely chopped dried apricots (or another dried fruit that you like)
    1/2 light raisins (or another dried fruit)
    1/2 cup Bran Flakes cereal, crushed
    1/3 cup sugar, packed (use your favourite sugar: raw, maple, date, etc...)

1/4 cup vegetable oil (or other cooking oil)
    2 Tbsp water
    1 tsp almond or vanilla flavouring

Preheat oven to 300 F (150 C). Combine the first 7 ingredients in a large bowl. In a measuring cup, combine the cooking oil, water, and almond/vanilla flavouring. Pour over the granola mixture and stir well.

Spread in a 9x13 inch (22x33 cm) baking pan. Bake for 25 minutes, stirring frequently. Cool in the pan. Makes 5 cups.

Unhappy Buying food/snacks

I've only just become properly vegan so still have lots of hurdles to work out how to cross ..

We went shopping today at Asda (hell on earth) and usually grab a sandwich or something to eat on the way home. I just assumed that they'd have some token vegan effort on sale there but there was absolutely nothing! I was quite horrified really because I'd reached that point where I really needed food, blood sugar level dropping, etc.

Basically, I came out with nothing

What on earth does eveyone else do in these situations???
    Vegan at last .. woo hoo!!

ConsciousCuisine

Default Re: Buying food/snacks

Quote Lentil
    I get low bloodsugar episodes too and so carry nuts/seeds/dried fruit with me as well as raw food bars etc. but when stuck, I buy nuts/seeds and juice or fruit, often the only edible things for vegans at non-health food stores.

I sometimes do, too. At least there are plenty of places to buy vegan crisps in an emergency, sandwiches are a different matter, though

I think it's always a good idea to eat before shopping - helps to curb the temptation to buy too much unhealthy stuff, too.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I am always carry an emergency pack in my purse. It isn't very big but I have some nuts, dried fruit, and an energy bar. It isn't all that filling but it has gotten me by until I could get home to something good.

Does Asda have one of those "Free from" sections for people with allergies, as some of the other supermarkets do? That can be a good place to look for vegan foods, though not sandwiches - it's more cereal bars and stuff like that. You still have to read the labels as they do have products containing eggs in those sections.

Otherwise I agree with the suggestions of fruit and nuts. Most places seem able to manage those

I think I'll have to put an emergency pack together I did have a look in the free from aisle but it all pretty much seemed to be gluten free rather than dairy/egg free.

We do usually grab sandwiches/pasties, etc. quite alot when we're out so I'll have to come up with something

PS: Daft Q but are chips from a fish and chip shop ok or is it all fried in animal fat?

Things like vegetable samosas and onion bahjis are usually vegan - in somewhere like Asda I'd probably get something of that kind in place of a sandwich.

You could also buy rolls and hummous (plus some pickles or olives or some other jarred thing, if you like) and make your own sandwich pretty easily.

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Lentil
    PS: Daft Q but are chips from a fish and chip shop ok or is it all fried in animal fat?
    I can't speak for the UK but here, when ever I have looked 99% of the time the fryer is used for *everything* and there is no dedicated vegan-foods-only frier I do seem to remember many UK folk saying the same as well

I used to carry flapjacks around with me when I first went vegan in case of emergency - they'll fill you up, and you can usually get several different flavours to stop them getting too boring. They're pretty widely available too, you'd probably be able to find them in Asda.

Quote Lentil

I think it depends what area of the country you are in, and from shop to shop. Most of the fish and chip shops round here fry in vegetable oil, and the chip section is seperate from the fish one, but some shops may fry their battered sausages or what-have-you in there.

The only way to find out is to ask on a shop by shop basis.

Quote ConsciousCuisine
    I can't speak for the UK but here, when ever I have looked 99% of the time the fryer is used for *everything* and there is no dedicated vegan-foods-only frier I do seem to remember many UK folk saying the same as well
    Pretty much. I've watched them cook fish and chips seperately, then put the fish in with the chips for a few minutes at the end of cooking as the oil is hotter. If your lucky you may get vegetarian only oil, but it's still not vegan if it's had vegeburgers or deep fried mars bars in it. Most use palm oil these days instead of animal fat.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble
    .. but it's still not vegan if it's had vegeburgers or deep fried mars bars in it...
    Wasn't there a thread about this somewhere else? I maintain that if you're buying something where the intended ingredients (in this case potato and vegetable fat) are vegan, then you are not necessarily unvegan if there has been some small contact with non-vegan substances.

I consider it along the same lines as products that "may contain traces" - I'll happily eat Green and Blacks dark chocolate though I know it may contain traces of milk because I don't consider that my purchase is supporting the milk industry given that any microscopic inclusion of milk is inadvertant.

As far as I'm concerned this is a matter of individual choice.

Absolutely, being vegan is about people's personal choices and everyone has their own unique threshold. However, in my view there's a significant difference between cooked in the same oil/using the same utensils and produced in the same atmosphere. 'May contain traces of' allergy notices should only be used as an indication of either airbourne particles or what it may contain if a mistake has been made in preparation (such as not cleaning chocolate moulds thoroughly enough between batches). They aren't an indication of what the product actually contains or is likely to other than in extreme circumstances. I'm happy to support companies who use the same factories provided they explain what they mean by their allergy notices, but not those who blatently use the same equipment without cleaning - the risk of cross contamination is unacceptably high.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Mr Flibble
    I'm happy to support companies who use the same factories provided they explain what they mean by their allergy notices, but not those who blatently use the same equipment without cleaning - the risk of cross contamination is unacceptably high.
    Yep! I say not to animal-borne pathogens! Also, the thought of eating food that has been boiled in oil alongside animals and animal products makes me want to vomit, so that's another reason I avoid it besides the inherent health, vegan and general esthetic reasons already mentioned.

Tiggerwoo

If there's a Julian Greaves near anyone in the UK, not sure if they're anywhere abroad, they do a large selection of vegan snacks such as sweets and flapjacks..... some healthy.... some not so healthy, but they pride theirselves that they don't use hydrogenated oils. Anyway not everything is vegan, but quite alot, but everything is clearly marked with a RED V sign that is vegan, so its pretty vegan friendly. As I'm a big cinema goer, and I'm always very wary about what to buy, plus the price of stuff in cinemas, I often go in there to get my snacks before going to watch a film.

Funny you should mention that, Tiggerwoo - I was in a Julian Graves only today and discovered the red V for myself

I bought a box of turkish delight, a big bag of dry roasted peanuts for my friend and a bag of cinder toffee

Lentil,
    In the last few months since turning vegan, I've been through a similar dilema. I usually work at home but I need to visit our company offices sometimes and I used to pop-out at lunch to get a veggie sandwich, or something like that.
    Recently though, I found myself totally stuck, and was unable to find anything in any of my usually lunchtime haunts (tescos, M&S, Coffee Shops etc). I had to re-think my food-hunt and it was hard. Turning away from the pre-packed sandwiches and veering off down the fresh-fruit isle at lunchtime is not something I've done before, but I've amazed myself. It's amazing what apples, bananas and hob-nobs can do for you at lunch-time
    I will confess however, to discovering that Sainsbury's do some vegan microwave curries in their chilled section. bad, bad, bad... (but hot on a cold day).

In general, my partner and I have also taken to keeping emergency food-bars with us when travelling. We got caught out with NO food on a couple of occasions.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Quote twinkle
    Things like vegetable samosas and onion bahjis are usually vegan - in somewhere like Asda I'd probably get something of that kind in place of a sandwich
    Excellent idea .. I was making some onion bhajis at home last night and realised that I should have looked at them in the shop - I'm a great one for hindsight

I like the idea of a flapjack, and the fruit and nuts, too as they're sooo good for energy I guess it's just that thing of getting used to thinking in a different way to before. Hubby keeps joking about me taking a portable pot of hummus everywhere with me .. very helpful (not!)

Quote twinkle
    I maintain that if you're buying something where the intended ingredients (in this case potato and vegetable fat) are vegan, then you are not necessarily unvegan if there has been some small contact with non-vegan substances
    OMG, I hadn't even thought about all these things! Good point though ...

Our Asda has prepackaged indian snacks with the ingredients listed and the onion bhajis, samosas, tomato packoras and potato cake things are all vegan - I find the last two a bit hot for my liking.

However I was very angry in Tesco as I asked at the delicatessen about their onion bhajis etc and whether they were vegan and the man behind the counter gave me this look and said he didn't know. I persevered and asked if he had an ingredients list and he said no. He asked the other staff who said - they've got pastry on so they won't be vegan. Hubby pointed out that not all pastry has animal products in. The man just said he didn't know and that a vegetables a vegetable innit?!

We approached customer services who said they do not have a list of ingredients and they gave us head offices number.

Head office basically said that they get their food from various suppliers who use different ingredients and all the onion bhajis for example get put out on display from one supplier but then as it gets low others are added from another supplier and no-one knows which are from who and so they can't tell us the ingredients!

I was so cross. Why can't they ask all the suppliers to make them to the same recipe?

Monday x

That's awful! I thought they had to have ingredients lists for everything these days - obviously not though. And as for the person behind the counter, people can be so rude!

sugarmouse

as regards a pot of portable hummous it isnt all that of a mad idea!whenever i have been to asda or whatever i buy carrot sticks n a dip n eat them on the way home(if im gettin a lift obviously i would look silly walkin down the st with them!)i buy seeded vegan friendly bread aswell n eat that.the free from range at asda is pretty good although iam not sokeen on their mayonnaise alternative though-try it n let me know what u think!
    asda make me laugh tho.apart from all the usual 'issues' ihave with supermarkets, theres the magazine they have...it cracks me up as on one page it ll have articles praising itself for healthy eating and fruit/veg etc, n on the next advertising its products full of cholestral/sugar/fat...alot of it aimed at kids.

i had a weird dream about hummous soup lastnight!

i dont even think that would be nice!

Quote lozza
    i had a weird dream about hummous soup lastnight!

i dont even think that would be nice!
    I nearly made that once, when I forgot to cook the chick peas first when making hummous. I had this BIG pot of hummous, but it was innedible so I thought I'd try and cook it as it was.

had to sling it in the end.. what a twit.
    How good it is to be well-fed, healthy, and kind all at the same time. Henry J. Heimlich

Hummus and carrot sticks
    Pot of ready made salad
    Fruit
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Dates
    Fruit smoothie
    Olives
    To name but a few

I take packed lunch (geordies aka this as "bait box) with me if I am going to be out over the time I would normally be hungry. Sandwiches, lots of fruit, nuts, leftover rice or pasta salad. Avocado is nice too if you cut it in half before you go out and take a teaspoon with you to eat it with. I keep fruit n nut bars etc in my bag for when I am stuck without warning. It is also a lot cheaper than trying to buy ready made vegan snacks or lunches.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Quote Lentil
    I've noticed that that doesn't happen to me much any more. After finding myself nearly fainting with hunger on more than a few occasions in the past I seem to have subconsciously learnt to plan when to go out. I have also learnt not to go to friends' houses without eating something first

If I do find myself stuck without food then I buy one of those small bottles of orange juice, a banana and a bag of crisps.

Quote Monday
    I was so cross. Why can't they ask all the suppliers to make them to the same recipe?
    Why don't they just use the same supplier!? Then they could label things and train their staff properly. It's annoying when they have no idea what they're selling! It's supposed to be their job.

sugarmouse

im terrible for when i go shopping tho especially when i have gone with bobillydylan.i pack, and make sure all my easy edible stuff is in one bag, i sit in the front of the car with it, and eat my carrot sticks, hummous..avacado..olives..bread crusts....they sell vegan yogurt at asda aswel thats a good choice?!

Quote herbwormwood
    Avocado is nice too if you cut it in half before you go out and take a teaspoon with you to eat it with. .
    hehe..that just reminds me of how, when i go to the cinema, i always take a yoghurt in with me and a spoon. people think i am mad, taking a yog & spoon out of my bag & just sitting there, eating it!

hehe!