Thread: Hillwalking/Climbing

Default Hillwalking/Climbing

Anyone into this? Couldn't find any old threads but surely there must be some?
    Anyway climbed 'The Cobbler' on Sat!

This is a mile or so from the start a few hundred feet above sea level!

This is a few miles up the [path looking back

The Hill coming into view

You climb the inside of the right hand ridge, swing left, and the middle point is actually the summit!!

And this is what the view lookin back SHOULD have looked like

Unfortunately, it being Scotland, about half an hour from the summit the weather changed BIG STYLE!!!!!

Wind whipped up to about 50 mph and the rain came on, visiblity was down to about 30ft off and on,at one point it was actually blowing uptheway over the crest of the ridge as we tried the descent on the other side. Somehow the wind had changed direction by then so was back in our faces, could hardly see all the way down and i don't think i've ever been so wet in my life by the time we made it to the bottom again.
    Ah well, next week! lol
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Default Re: Hillwalking/Climbing

I've done it before .. not so much into it just now
    Been up Schihallion and up Glen Finglas/in the loch there, up to the top of Ben Cruachan/inside the power station there .. not done many munroes though .. most I've done recently is going up Arthurs Seat!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Quote Fungus View Post
    I've done it before .. not so much into it just now
    Been up Schihallion and up Glen Finglas/in the loch there, up to the top of Ben Cruachan/inside the power station there .. not done many munroes though .. most I've done recently is going up Arthurs Seat!
    Problem with Schihallion is it's just really a huge flight of stairs, meant to be the furthest you can see panoramically anywhere in Scotland though. Pity when we did it the visiblity was zero at the top again!

I've been hiking a bit more around here. My uni campus is surrounded by a lot of trails and a few state parks. I visited the conservation park last weekend. I'm looking forward to doing some hiking and photography again, about mid-August.

I went hiking this weekend in Colorado. We climbed Grey's Peak (14,000+ ft) but didn't quite make it to the top. My boyfriend started getting really sick due to the altitude; we think he wasn't drinking enough. It was also getting kind of late, so we headed back. We were up there for 8 hours though, so it was a good hike; and gorgeous...I will post some pictures later.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

BlackCats

It looks gorgeous there Gogs. I used to go walking quite a bit when I was a teenager with my family in the Lake District and Peak District etc but I haven't been for years.

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    I went hiking this weekend in Colorado. We climbed Grey's Peak (14,000+ ft) but didn't quite make it to the top. My boyfriend started getting really sick due to the altitude; we think he wasn't drinking enough. It was also getting kind of late, so we headed back. We were up there for 8 hours though, so it was a good hike; and gorgeous...I will post some pictures later.
    What height do you start from? Surely it's not a straight 2 1/2 mile ascent?

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    It looks gorgeous there Gogs. I used to go walking quite a bit when I was a teenager with my family in the Lake District and Peak District etc but I haven't been for years.
    Get out there one day soon, it's worth it!

I'm going to Africa next month to climb Mt Kilimanjaro Its close to 20,000ft (5986M) I tried it last year, but i didn't make it to the top. I had a load of stress back at home and my diet was poor.

Strangly I've never climbed any near where I live, I'd like to hear more about your adventures, post more pics too guys.

Just went on a 12 mile walk round the lower hills near home today (get away from any Orange walks )
    Ended up takin a wrong turning and climbed 6 peaks instead of 5, lol, least the weather was better than last week!!!
    This is looking South along the Pentlands

Lookin North, back toward Edinburgh

North East (T in the Park is away over there somewhere about 30 miles away, lol)

This is one of my favourite ever things to do. I'm jealous that you live in Scotland!

Manchester is good for close proximity to the Peaks but the Peaks are also the shittest mountain range in the UK quite frankly, for technicality, good views, just the works. The Lakes are only a couple of hours away mind, and they're also my favourite part of England. I really need to get back there soon and climb some hilarious mountains.

We went on holiday there just over a month ago, I'll put some pictures up when I have access to them from a computer I'm on.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.