Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: dairy free bread in US

Default dairy free bread in US

does anyone know of a good brand of dairy free whole wheat bread that I can get in the US?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Default Re: dairy free bread in US

I get the SaraLee brand, I think its the muliti grain one...but i'm not sure...not sure how good it is for you though...but bread is so freaking hard to find.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

RubyDuby

i get kirkland whole grain bread from costco. also i'm pretty sure whole foods brand ww is ok.
    I know I've bought Rudy's organic, but not sure if it was plain whole wheat.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

cool, thanks ladies! i will look in those.

it definitely is a pain to find bread!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

kirkland is okay? that would be nice, its always good to buy in bulk for me.

Read the labels! That said, I usually get Zingerman's. I have no idea which one. The farm bread? I don't remember.
    context is everything

^ i seriously sit in the bread isle for a half an hour reading labels, its nice to know peoples go-2s. I've yet to find any tofu dog or veggieburger buns that weren't some health store brand...

RubyDuby

Quote missbettie View Post
    kirkland is okay? that would be nice, its always good to buy in bulk for me.
    i'm pretty sure (although there is sugar)

ingredients:
    whole wheat flour, water, whole grains (oats, wheat flakes, barley, bulgar wheat), wheat gluten, brown sugar, sugar, Contains 2% or less of the following: yeast, sunflower seeds, cornmeal, inulin (chicory root fiber) salt, sugarcane fiber, calcium sulfate, soybean oil, resistant corn starch, raisin juice, vinegar, soy flour, cultured corn syrup solids, wheat bran, guar gum, ferrous fumarate, soy lecithin.

^ oh and look it even has a little bit of Chicory root in it. lol

RubyDuby

and... raisin juice??? not grape juice. they dehydrated those and squeezed out the remaining liquid?

I've also used Rudi's breads, but I don't think there is a whole wheat? Or that might be the one that has honey. I get the Flax, Oat Nut, or rarely White.
    I would love it if I could get Whole Foods breads but the labels always say enzymes and how do you know if the enzymes are animal sourced or not? One of these days when I have time I'll either call or ask in their bakery, but it's the enzymes that are the only questionable ingredients I think.

RubyDuby

i'm such a bad vegan. you're right there are enzymes in it. i'm reading the crushed wheat, millet and oat bag right now... didn't even cross my mind. let me know if u find out pleeez.

don't beat yourself up RubyDuby...maybe they are vegan enzymes. It's like those Late July crackers that I stopped eating b/c they started listing enzymes on the box, but when I saw that Pangea and Vegan Essentials were carrying them I knew they were okay. Guess I'll have to do the legwork on this one though...I'll keep you posted.

wow your bread has so much crap in it.

^ ya its disgusting.

^ i seriously sit in the bread isle for a half an hour reading labels, its nice to know peoples go-2s. I've yet to find any tofu dog or veggieburger buns that weren't some health store brand...
    haha...i do that too! one day i must have spent 15 minutes going back and forth reading labels. what a process!

^ its actually kinda embarrassing... thats why it rocks to know what other people get too

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    wow your bread has so much crap in it.
    Well it's $2.50 a loaf for 'crap' whole wheat bread, compared to $4 a loaf for 'pure' whole wheat bread.

My wallet says I can make the ingredient sacrifice...

See if you have any local bakeries. I generally go with the kind of bread that has just the simple ingredients from a local bakery. Or Trader Joes.

Quote Fuhzy View Post
    Well it's $2.50 a loaf for 'crap' whole wheat bread, compared to $4 a loaf for 'pure' whole wheat bread.

My wallet says I can make the ingredient sacrifice...
    Okay sarcasmo.

I was just saying that even the cheap bread that I go or has about 10 ingredients. The Organic one has about 6.

oops...above I said I used Rudi's but I got it confused w/ Barowsky's. Rudi's also has enzymes. Barowsky's is vegan, well some of them are....others have honey. There are a couple of other brands I get w/ way less ingredients but I think they may just be local...When Pigs Fly and Borealis. The pig bread will ship within US but I don't know if anyone wants to go to that hassle. They have a chocolate bread that is more like dessert bread...it's very rich!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Okay sarcasmo.

I was just saying that even the cheap bread that I go or has about 10 ingredients. The Organic one has about 6.
    lol sarcasmo. Hey we are just bitter okay?! a flipping loaf of vegan bread is like 6 bucks where as i could get a loaf of non vegan bread for 69 cents...same with all the organic foods, i don't know how they expect people to be organic and still be able to afford to eat, i for one can't, i can't buy any oranic stuff...

I always wander through the market, and think to myself..."and we wonder why we are all fat, all the healthy crap is so flipping expensive where as i can buy a frozen pizza for a buck" STUPID!!!!

Quote veganwitch View Post
    oops...above I said I used Rudi's but I got it confused w/ Barowsky's. Rudi's also has enzymes. Barowsky's is vegan, well some of them are....others have honey. There are a couple of other brands I get w/ way less ingredients but I think they may just be local...When Pigs Fly and Borealis. The pig bread will ship within US but I don't know if anyone wants to go to that hassle. They have a chocolate bread that is more like dessert bread...it's very rich!
    Rudi's bread is vegan, except for a few products that contain honey. I have read this before, but looked it up again on their webpage. Additionally, I know that I read before that their enzymes in particular were definately not of animal origin and were vegan, but I can't find that part now. But anyway, they specifically say that their bread is vegan except for the honey ones.

I buy the ancient grain smelt bread, which I love. It is kind of hard though, so I usually toast it, but its delicious

Are Rudi's breads vegan?
    Yes, Rudi's Organic breads are vegan with the exception of the following varieties that contain honey: Honey Sweet Whole Wheat, European Multigrain, Spelt Tortillas and Whole Spelt Tortillas
    tabbouleh-bouleh

fondducouer, thanks for that info. It's great new's about Rudi's. That opens up a lot of options for me. Don't they also make burger buns and hotdog rolls??? This is exciting!

No problem
    I buy the hamburger buns all the time (the whole wheat ones are great), but have never had the hotdog ones. I'm scared to try veggie hotdogs I think.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Mahk

Fondducoeur, Thanks for the tip. No stores really close to me but I could drive to one pretty easily.

I must concur with missbettie, finding vegan bread is rough (in the US at least) and when you do it is often 5/6 times the price of the ones filled with all the iffy ingredients. Then to add insult to injury I think some brands throw in honey as an ingredient just because they think to most Americans that's a "health food".

Another expensive one near me is called "When Pigs Fly". [edit: Oh I see that got mentioned already] I think their NY rye bread is vegan by my standards. Nine dollars a loaf! I think a little less at the stores but still...

you folks need to get yourselves a breadmaker!

I always wander through the market, and think to myself..."and we wonder why we are all fat, all the healthy crap is so flipping expensive where as i can buy a frozen pizza for a buck" STUPID!!!!

its so true!! i will go to the store to do my grocery shopping and when i give the little discount card to swipe..one of them actually said to me "i dont think any of this is on sale...you eat too healthy" how crazy is that!!?? she said its a shame but the things that are discounted or "2 for" priced are all the junk food! its really pathetic in my opinion, that in this country if you dont have the means...you almost can't be healthy!

Quote fondducoeur View Post
    No problem
    I buy the hamburger buns all the time (the whole wheat ones are great), but have never had the hotdog ones. I'm scared to try veggie hotdogs I think.
    You might like them! I recommend Yves veggie dogs. I put tiny slits in two sides of them and spread all 4 sides w/ Vegennaise (I've used Nayonnaise in a pinch but it is thinner and splatters more in the pan) and cook them in a frying pan, turning as each side browns. They stick a little but that just makes them taste better. All I've been missing is the bun but I put them on bread w/ onions, ketchup, mustard, and relish....so good! Know this is OT but it was important!

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I've never used a breadmaker, but I make bread in a loaf pan in the oven every once in awhile and it doesn't actually take too long! And it's much cheaper (and has less crap in it) than storebought! The kneading and rising is what takes the longest, but I always just read or get online while waiting for it to rise.

I just get Ezekial bread. $3 a loaf here, and organic, and sprouted, and delicious.

Ezekial is great when toasted (not so great straight out of the bag). If you're a toast person, I recommend trying it!

Mahk

Is it one of the frozen breads? I avoid that section where I shop (although with so few options I guess I should check it out) I figure why should I buy it frozen?

I almost always toast so that warning won't stop me, but thanks.

Well, I've seen it in the refrigerated section, but at my shop it's just with all the other breads. So yes, you may find it in the refrigerated or frozen section. It's still good.

It's made without flour, but rather with sprouted grains.

RubyDuby

Quote Mahk View Post
    Fondducoeur, Thanks for the tip. No stores really close to me but I could drive to one pretty easily.
    mahk, they have Rudi's at the WFM here. I bet you could request it there if they don't already have it in stock.

Pilaf

I usually go for Sara Lee. A lot of their whole grain breads are vegan.

Most hot dog and hamburger buns are vegan.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    As a recent breadmaker convert I would have to agree with this. Tasty vegan bread at a reasonable price without any messing around.

I also agree you can make it perfectly well without a breadmaker but I lack the moral fibre, as it were.

Mahk

Thanks for the tips Matt35mm and RubyDuby.

Pilaf, I looked at a couple of the Sara Lee breads and couldn't find any vegan friendly ones by my standards. I'm 99% sure they don't have any vegan certification stamp on the package so I'm assuming you don't scrutinize the multi-syllabic iffy ingredients like mono and diglycerides, L-cysteine, stearoyl lactylate, etc? Hey that's cool man, we all have different boundaries. I'm not being judgmental or anything. The only reason I ask is to see if there is some element I am missing. I don't scrutinize whether the sugar found in many products has possibly been bone char filtered, for example, yet other vegans consider that lax, for example. We are all different.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

To our European buddies on this thread. Check out what us Americans are up against. Here's what a "healthy for you" bread label here in the states might look like, for example:

I count seven ingredients that are either not vegan or are at least iffy by a super strict vegan definition. And no, we don't have an "Animal free shopper guide" to consult.

A lot of "healthy" breads here have honey in them although I haven't seen an ingredients list quite like that.

Mahk

Also, this list represents not just a few breads but rather 90-95% of breads we can choose from. This is why I think having differing "vegan standards" per country or region might make some sense.

I wonder what the white bread has in it...

Mahk

Very similar but we add even more iffy/baddies to the count: whey, butter, enzymes, and vitamin D3.
    Heck, at least they tell us the lecithin is soy based and not egg!

All these wacky chemicals are potentially found in all flour products here, not just bread: Cake, biscuits, croissants, rolls, bagels, cookies, hamburger rolls, hot dog buns, pizza dough, pita, muffins, cupcakes, pastry, tortilla, (burrito shells), etc.

Quote veganwitch View Post
    You might like them! I recommend Yves veggie dogs. I put tiny slits in two sides of them and spread all 4 sides w/ Vegennaise (I've used Nayonnaise in a pinch but it is thinner and splatters more in the pan) and cook them in a frying pan, turning as each side browns. They stick a little but that just makes them taste better. All I've been missing is the bun but I put them on bread w/ onions, ketchup, mustard, and relish....so good! Know this is OT but it was important!
    That does actually sound pretty good...I will have to give it a try. Thanks!
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote harpy View Post
    I also agree you can make it perfectly well without a breadmaker but I lack the moral fibre, as it were.
    Lol! Generally when I make bread (not that I do it all the time, but every once in awhile) my dad and I make it together so it's more a fun "bonding" activity and not so much a boring one. If I had to make it all the time on my own I might consider a breadmaker. Are they very expensive?

Mahk

Panera Breads, which I see is a national chain bakery/restaurant, has full ingredient disclosure books at the register and on the web. Hallelujah! There are a few breads that are OK for us there but others like French baguette are ruined by the use of eggs or other baddies.

For anyone thinking of emailing them for "sugar" clarification (used in many breads) don't bother, I've already found their response elsewhere on the web:

Question to Panera About the Sugar That They Use

Your ingredients for many of your breads you list 'sugar', can you tell me if it's refined sugar from an animal bone charcoal filter or if it's a vegan friendly product. thanks.

Dear Valerie,
    Thank you for contacting Panera Bread. Many of our breads do not list sugar as an ingredient. Some list honey as a sweetener. Sugar is a commodity
    we purchase from many different suppliers and, although we recommend
    vegan-friendly processing, we cannot confirm that all suppliers follow these recommendations...

Thank you again for contacting us. We appreciate your business and value
    your comments.

Sincerely,
    Stella
    Customer Comment Coordinator

This is classic example of why I've decided not to email/scrutinize "sugar" found in so many otherwise vegan American foods. Even if you do get a response they're basically, politely saying (like in the above example):

- We don't know.
    - We don't care.
    - We don't promise to maintain the same supplier, anyways. It is a commodity which we get from any number of different sources.

OK, I'll get down off my soap box now.

Quote mariana View Post
    If I had to make it all the time on my own I might consider a breadmaker. Are they very expensive?
    I believe you can get quite cheap ones now.

Mine's a Panasonic one and wasn't that cheap (it was a Christmas present) but even those I think can be picked up fairly cheaply on eBay etc - people get them and then lose interest. I keep at it because I'm motivated by the difficulty of buying decent vegan bread around here.

Mahk

I don't quite get what they are. Baby counter top ovens? or is there more to it than that? Do you need a mixer machine too? Those aren't cheap and I haven't the room for one.

edit to add: I've thought of a mixer also to make my own seitan which is quite pricey here so maybe it would pay for itself in the long run? hmm...

Breadmakers can do the whole process - you just put the ingredients in and then they mix them, leave them to prove or whatever for a bit, and then bake the loaf. They do take up a certain amount of countertop space.

I believe some mixers/food processors have "dough hooks" so you could do the first bit in a food processor and then bake the loaf in a conventional oven; that might be a better option if space is limited. Some breadmaker manufacturers claim that their machines use less electricity than ovens, but that might pan out, so to speak, differently if you baked a number of loaves in the oven at once.

desmond jones

I get the SaraLee brand, I think its the muliti grain one...but i'm not sure...not sure how good it is for you though...but bread is so freaking hard to find.

umm that all of their bread contains calcium/sodium stearyol lactylate. i recently sent them an email requesting a list of sources, so i'm still waiting to see if it is vegan.

are you sure its vegan?

^ oh god i hope so...please let me know...

seriously please post it here.

I guess this is yet another reason for me to go raw...