Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Aldi

sugarmouse

Default Aldi

I know some principles would have us nt use them for various reasons, but they are selling some vegan products I have noticed...
    Some vegan pates including olive and shiitake mushroom ones (if their labeling is correct obviously)

A store manager also told me some mexican instant soups they are selling are vegan too

Default Re: Aldi

stocked up on those - 4 different flavours they taste like tartex yum
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

seitan

Quote vavavegan View Post
    stocked up on those - 4 different flavours they taste like tartex yum
    really? are they cheap? what do they look like, come in a tube? what brand?

squished tins like cat food little tins - think about 60p each
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

seitan

ok, cool, thanks, i just need to try and remember the difference between twiddle and baldi

sugarmouse

Their 'Soya Delight' spreads confused me! theyre made from soya beans, but ont front they say 'soya alternativ to spread' which made me think they would be an alternative to margarine?
    but theyre more like a dip.
    I have tried the pumpkin seed one and the one with peas, not the onion one cos i dont like onions.

If the pate is the same as in my local Aldi, it's Granovita, the vegetable one is delicious

Not sure if this has been posted anywhere else, but Aldi's have now started stocking Abbot And Broome's KICKSTART! shower gel, which is of course vegan friendly. Cheaper than Original Source too, at around 89 pence.
    My local store (Grimsby) has 3 differing versions.

I haven't tried it out yet as I only picked one up yesterday (pomegranate and pink grapefruit) but for the price it looks like it could be good stuff.

They have just got the vegan pate back in as well - Granovita at £0.79 a tin (a lot cheaper than H&B).
    Also they have 6 packs of HOT crisps (Garlic & Chilli, Lemon & Chilli, Black pepper -can't remember precisely) which are all vegan, and they sell Batemans ale which is vegan and white house wine which is!!!

I was at Aldi today and they only had one tin of the pate left! The girl said it's a special and they probably won't get them back in.

They have had them before, like a year ago, so they will probably get them again in future.

Yup, they get them in once a year.
    Last year the store near me had them in for the 1st time (a new store) and they took a while to sell - this year they have flown off the shelves.
    I also managed to pick up some reduced priced Rice Milk at 59 pence a litre carton - it was originally £1.29.

The spicy crisps are pretty good too - they get them in a couple of times a year.

Wow, I had no idea there were so many vegan friendly products available in our supermarkets... This is excellent news as I have decided to make the change and become a vegan!!! Thank you forum for all the info!!!

Just got back from Aldi and found that Finchleys India Pale Ale and their Golden Ale are both labelled as vegan:

Yes, it refreshing to know Firestorm (no pun intended). They also do Batemans Combined Harvest Multigrain beer which I have in my possession this evening. Batemans also do 'Miss America', 'Triple XB' amongst others - labelled vegan. Shame this could not be applied to more beers/lagers as we don't want to have to guess or be kept in the dark over what to drink when going out. These bottles are good value at only £1.49 for 500ml.

I've been drinking the Batemans for years - its fantastic, especially Rosey Nosey at Xmas. I posted this just to let everyone know there is another vegan beer in Aldi at a bargain price of £0.99.

Cheers Firestorm. I have never set foot in an Aldi before - sounds like a good enough excuse to change that
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Thank you, Firestorm. Off to Aldi tonight! I'm teetotal, but my partner appreciates good beer I always buy my mixed nuts at Aldi - cheap and cheerful! Think it's 99p a pack? That, or 95p. I usually take a fiver with me and get 5 packs and then some change.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

They also have Planters mixed nuts with corn - sound weird but tastes lovely

Bought both the India Pale Ale and the Golden Pale Ale. Great choice of Batemans, too And also bought a truckload of nuts Will have a look for the Planters next time!

Tried the India Pale Ale - not for me.
    Gutted they sell Newcastle Brown Ale in there now - I think that's the one drink I still miss......

Quote kikifromscotland View Post
    I was at Aldi today and they only had one tin of the pate left! The girl said it's a special and they probably won't get them back in.
    Aldi have the Gravovita Pate back in stock (I saw Olive, Vegetable and Shiitake). 89 pence a tin.

Aldi now have Spanish hot chocolate for £2.99, its £3.99 in Tesco and on Veganstore

Aldi have their Vegan dark chocolate Reindeer back in stock for £0.99, and a possibly vegan Stollen - all the ingredients seem vegan except Mono and Diglycerides of fatty acids & sodium stearoyl 2 lactylate. Anyone know if these 2 are vegan?

Mono and Diglycerides of fatty acids can be animal derived, you would have to contact the company to know.
    (don't know about the other)

They are also selling vegan friendly flapjacks now for 49p.
    They are at the check-out at the Grimsby store, so could easily be the same everywhere else.
    They are the same ones stocked in Holland and Barrett.

They. Sorry, had to start another line with they, otherwise universal balance would have been off.

leedsveg

Quote VampireJack View Post
    They are at the check-out at the Grimsby store, so could easily be the same everywhere else.
    Maybe, or maybe they're only in the Grimsby store because that's where two vegan ley-lines intersect?

Leedsveg

Does anybody know if their margarine (well, sunflower spread...) is vegan?

Snack Noodle - Spicy Curry Flavour - anyone know if Aldi's own-brand snack pots are vegan? They are labelled as vegetarian, and the only ingredient I can see that is questionable is flavourings. It doesn't specify what the flavourings are, except to say they include Barley Malt Extract. Thanks.

Pretty certain that they contain milk.

Quote daisykins View Post
    Snack Noodle - Spicy Curry Flavour - anyone know if Aldi's own-brand snack pots are vegan? They are labelled as vegetarian, and the only ingredient I can see that is questionable is flavourings. It doesn't specify what the flavourings are, except to say they include Barley Malt Extract. Thanks.
    Instant noodles or similar are usually ok if the flavours are curry, vegetable, mushroom or tomato. I doubt they contain milk. I don't buy them because most of the seasonings contain MSG.

Quote daisykins View Post

Just had a quick check while in store and it looks like they have changed the recipe, as they definitely used to contain milk, as I used to have them when I was "just" a vegetarian.

They do claim to be suitable for vegetarians, and have no mention of milk in the allergens so I would imagine they are fine now.
    I would recommend just contacting Aldi online but they are pretty hopeless at replying to emails about food contents. I'd risk it myself, and if it turns out along the way that they aren't I wouldn't beat myself up about it. Hell, I wonder how many food products labelled as vegan friendly have labels that are stuck on with vegan friendly glue?
    You can only do your best.

they have the flapjacks in the aldi by me to i didnt notice them my mom said arnt they the flapjacks you like ? they havnt had the pate for like a ear which is annoying cause i love it and have to travel to buy them

Quote mchelle81 View Post
    they have the flapjacks in the aldi by me to i didnt notice them my mom said arnt they the flapjacks you like ? they havnt had the pate for like a ear which is annoying cause i love it and have to travel to buy them

The pate usually comes in about once a year (probably coming up soon as I always have some around spring/summer) so it's best to buy in bulk.
    I usually buy around a dozen tins and the last me a while as I don't rely on them too heavily - but they are a Godsend when I want cucumber sandwiches.
    You can get the vegetable flavoured one from Asda, but it's usually about 70p more expensive, so I just wait until Aldi have them.

The flapjacks - they have (I think) 4 flavours. 2 are vegan friendly (a big sticker on the label gives it away!) but I can't remember which flavours off the top of my head.
    One is a little dry, but the other is nice and moist. But, as I said, I can't remember which were which in terms of flavour.
    Still pretty good though at 49p as Holland And Barrett sell the same ones for around 30p more.

The pate usually comes in about once a year (probably coming up soon as I always have some around spring/summer) so it's best to buy in bulk.
    I usually buy around a dozen tins and the last me a while as I don't rely on them too heavily - but they are a Godsend when I want cucumber sandwiches.
    You can get the vegetable flavoured one from Asda, but it's usually about 70p more expensive, so I just wait until Aldi have them.

The flapjacks - they have (I think) 4 flavours. 2 are vegan friendly (a big sticker on the label gives it away!) but I can't remember which flavours off the top of my head.
    One is a little dry, but the other is nice and moist. But, as I said, I can't remember which were which in terms of flavour.
    Still pretty good though at 49p as Holland And Barrett sell the same ones for around 30p more.
    The plain one and the fruity one are vegan, and they are both very nice. I try to avoid looking at them when I reach the check out line

Just a quick "BUMP" to let you all know that the pate's are back in store at Aldis - 99p now though, so have gone up a little in price, but still not bad.

Thanks!

Has anyone found that the Granovita Pate from Aldi has a weird taste at the moment? A kind of metallic taste?

If it's the mushroom pate in the wee round tins, there was a QC issue with them a little while ago. Shouldn't be a problem now, but just so you know.

Quote pusskins View Post
    If it's the mushroom pate in the wee round tins, there was a QC issue with them a little while ago. Shouldn't be a problem now, but just so you know.
    They are the ones. I bought them about 2 months ago but they taste weird. I tried both a Shiitake mushroom & Vegetable this morning and they were both metalic. I will scrape it off my sandwiches at lunch and just have salad. I threw the rest of the tins away

My Aldi is pretty damn small so we have zilch! BUT i did notice Soy milk in today! but didnt have chance to look whats in it! Next time!

Hmmmm - I don't believe the soya milk is suitable for vegans. I may be wrong. I think they use the 'other' vit D.

Was excited when my other half came home with these after his first bike ride yesterday which took him up to our Aldi O/T - He's not really been a bike rider, and he got this fab bike for £10, and a friend fixed it up for him for £30. It's better than my bike! He was so pleased with himself with his first wobbly ride.

Anyway, this is what he came home with:

Labelled on the back as suitable for vegetarians and vegans. I know it was mentioned further up this thread, but thought a picture would help, and to encourage new vegans Similar-ish price to Superdrug shower gels and handsoaps.

Quote pusskins View Post
    Similar-ish price to Superdrug shower gels and handsoaps.
    Wonder if it's the same company behind both *ponder smiley*
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

In regards to the Soy milk sold at Aldi, both the unsweetened and sweetened state "suitable for vegetarians" on the label, so presumably the Vit D will be D2, as I wouldn't think they could make that claim if it were to be D3. "Presumably" anyway, I could be wrong and have missed something along the way.

The shower gels above are in stock all year, and are pretty good - but the hand gel is a new product this year and was only in stock for a limited time. Hopefully it's sold well enough to become a full time range.

In regards to the pate's, they came back in store around 10 days ago, and are back to the better quality. The last batch (of which I bought about 20!!!) were pretty sloppy and tasted a bit weird (but I'm still around having eaten them) whereas these ones are nice and firm - much better. Shame about the bad batch as I wonder how many people bought them and thought "urgh" and haven't bothered this time around. Shame, as they are pretty nice.

Nice to see my local store (which is now opening until 9pm!) have started stocking strong flour and yeast so I can start baking my own bread! Yay!

In regards to the Soy milk sold at Aldi, both the unsweetened and sweetened state "suitable for vegetarians" on the label, so presumably the Vit D will be D2, as I wouldn't think they could make that claim if it were to be D3. "Presumably" anyway, I could be wrong and have missed something along the way.
    Vitamin D3 is often sourced from sheep's wool, which makes it vegetarian but obvs not vegan.
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Vitamin D3 is often sourced from sheep's wool, which makes it vegetarian but obvs not vegan.
    You are of course correct, I was just having a blonde moment (no offense to any blondes out there!) - must be my B12 deficiency!

I do seem to remember seeing somewhere (when I first went vegan around 4 years ago) that Aldi's soy milk was definitely vegan friendly, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. But, like many other things, there have been changes to the recipes used so perhaps it isn't anymore.

I've fired off a quick email to Aldi and will report back if/when I get a reply.

Nikorusama

In regards to the pate's, they came back in store around 10 days ago, and are back to the better quality. The last batch (of which I bought about 20!!!) were pretty sloppy and tasted a bit weird (but I'm still around having eaten them) whereas these ones are nice and firm - much better. Shame about the bad batch as I wonder how many people bought them and thought "urgh" and haven't bothered this time around. Shame, as they are pretty nice.
    Are these the granovita ones? I bought one from a health food shop the other day for £1.69 I think, would love to get some from aldi if they still have them in. Will they still have them in atm?

They are the Granovita one's, I got some Thursday so they may still have them in stock. They were £0.99 I think

Quote Firestorm View Post
    They are the Granovita one's, I got some Thursday so they may still have them in stock. They were £0.99 I think
    Indeed they are the Granovita ones - it looks like they are maybe getting them in a couple of times a year, so a good idea to bulk buy.
    I did only buy 3 the first time around this time to make sure they were fine, then I've been back an bulk bought them!
    Must have spent about 30 quid on them in the last couple of weeks - about 5 a time!
    They will last me some time, well, until they get 'em in next time anyway....
    Good job I like the damned things!

They certainly are back to their usual standard - Just opened a tin of the vegetable one and its back to being brilliant.