Thread: Visiting the dentist

Default Visiting the dentist

I finally managed to find a dentist that will see me as an NHS patient. I've not been for years because I can't afford to pay but finally I can get it done for free. I need to have 2 teeth taken out next week. The problem is I'm really worried now because these dentists are not very good. I can't remember what it was they did but they were in the paper for doing something wrong to someones teeth. The teeth that need to come out are right at the back. I remember when I had a wisdom tooth out it was very uncomfortable and seemed to take ages, like about 15 - 20 minutes. I only had a local anasthaetic for that but this new dentist has said that they can give me a sedative as well. He said that I won't remember much when I come round and he advised me that it would be better for me than just the local anasthaetic.

Does anyone know if this is common practice these days? I wouldn't be scared if this was my old private dentist but like I said, I've got no money and I need to have this done since I'm having to take pain killers daily because of these teeth. I'd be grateful if anyone can tell me their experiences with these kind of sedatives. I don't know if I should have it or refuse it. I'm scared of the pain but I'm worried about what they'll do to me if I have the sedative while I'm out of it. I know that sounds stupid but thats how I feel
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Default Re: Visiting the dentist

I was under full body anesthesia for about 6 hours for my wisdom teeth. I think they gave me too much cause I was vomiting from the medication for the next 10 days. I didn't eat for two weeks, had an exposed nerve, had an allergic reaction to one of the meds, and was vomiting from the other one. My face was puffy for over a month, with huge black bruises all along my jaw bone. They ended up stretchig the jaw too far and ripping some ligament, so I took meds for that for about a month. It still hurts. I went in four extra times to get my exposed nerve checked out, and they didn't seem to think it was that bad. It was sooooo terrible; even though this place is highly recommended and quite expensive!!

In the US, its common to have sedatives and/ or anesthesia for wisdom teeth. Otherwise, the locals meds are used. When I was under anesthesia I was just put into a dark room and left there with monitors on. They were quite concerned, though since most people are only under for like an hour. I assume they didnt do anything to me (though I wouldnt really know for sure) because they're were really reputable place. Good luck!!

I had all my wisdom teeth taken out a couple of years ago under just local anaesthetic, it was fine! I have used NHS dentists for years without any problems, I'm 46 and only have one crown. All the rest of my teeth are great so they can't be that bad.
    I've always found NHS dentists to be very professional, they just don't have as much time as private dentists.
    The only problem I had was with one lower wisdom tooth about 2 days after extraction - dry socket:

http://www.animated-teeth.com/dry-so...ry-sockets.htm

Wow that was so painful it made me cry but my dentist gave me some antibiotics and packed it with a clove pack which killed the pain right away. I think it happened because I ate and drank on the extraction site too soon.
    Silent but deadly :p

I had a sedative injection when I had my wisdom tooth out. I hadn't been to dentist in about 20 years as I was TERRIFIED!!! I had awful toothache and it seems there was a whacking great hole in it. I was still to scared to go so I had to see a "special" dentist for "special" patients!

Was crying as I went into the horror chamber (I mean surgery) .. had the injection and I went straight to a happy place. I was concious the whole time, but remember very little about the procedure. He said he was "checking" the tooth ... and bam .. it was out. It was wonderful ... it was over very, very quickly and it was a great first experience back to a dentist. Only bad bit was the cost .. it was about £170, but it was money very well spent to me.

Make sure you've got somebody with you to take you home though, no way will you be able to drive or get PT alone. Plus, you'll probably be offering free kisses to everyone you meet!

If you're not sure, then you could ask for the procedure to be started without a sedative, and if you feel you need it they can give it to you once they've started (if that's possible).

PS ... After twenty years of not seeing a dentist I only needed one filling and two small very old fillings replaced. What a lucky gal!

I just had my wisdom teeth out last week and they gave me both general anesthesia and local anesthesia (not quite sure why I had both). I really didn't want to be given a sedative, but since I was having all 4 teeth out they pretty much said I had to. In the end the surgery went well and the anesthesia worked fine (though I did vomit a couple of times after coming home...nothing like Ella's experience though--that sounds AWFUL!). I guess maybe it's good I got anesthesia because the surgery took over an hour, but I still wish I hadn't been more or less forced into it. I do think what you decide should depend on whether or not you're scared of dentists and how you feel about having the teeth removed. I'm not scared of dentists at all because my grandfather is one, so that's one reason I'm really not sure I needed to get the sedative. But I think a lot of dentists assume people are scared of dentists/surgery (since lots of people are), so they try to force anesthesia on everyone to make their lives easier (after all, it's not easy to deal with a squirming patient).
    Oh, when I was 16, I got 4 teeth removed with Novacane only (in order to make more room for braces; my mouth is very crowded ). I brought a CD player with me and listened to music the whole time so I didn't hear any gross tooth-cracking noises. It went fine. However, since they were just being removed for braces my teeth didn't have cavities or anything so that may have been why it was relatively painless.
    But if you think you're up for it, Maisie, I would personally go without the anesthesia, especially if you don't trust the dentist. One of the things I kept thinking about when I was put under anesthesia was some case I had about a dentist sexually assaulting his patient while she was under anesthesia. If you decide to go with just local anesthesia, if possible, bring a CD or mp3 player with you and listen to relaxing music. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

I have had 7 teeth out in my lifetime. I had 2 taken out last year (yes i still have teeth left, just had to many) It took about 15 minutes from injection to leaving so it wasnt to bad (that was one not 2 at the same time). It wasnt to bad, the only pain i felt was the injection and that was only a few seconds for each injection.

I've had 5 teeth out, 2 extremely good NHS dentists and 1 completely and utterly rubbish one. 4 of the teeth were with good ones, the 5th was with the rubbish dentist (who were also completely incapable at doing fillings that didn't drop out within a couple of months) - I didn't stop bleeding mouthfuls of blood for over an hour which meant many pools of blood on the pavement on my 20 minute walk home! So I guess there's a 66% chance of it being fine

I haven't had any teeth out.........yet.

I just wanted to say that this whole thread terrifies me.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

Quote Digital Ghost View Post
    I haven't had any teeth out.........yet.

I just wanted to say that this whole thread terrifies me.
    Lol, don't worry too much! I was totally freaked out before I got my teeth out too, but really the chances of something going wrong aren't that high. Apart from not liking being given sedation, my teeth extraction went extremely well. I barely had any pain, and swelling was minimal as well (other people couldn't even tell I'd had surgery). Numbness went away within a few hours and I was able to eat soup, and by the next day I was eating a mushy potato/chickpea dish. I was energetic even the day of my surgery and didn't even want to take a nap...I also got kind of high/happy off the vicodin, lol. I don't like taking pain meds much, so I stopped the vicodin after one day and took tylenol for 2 days but after that I didn't need it any more. I got to eat tons of vegan ice cream which made me quite happy and now a week later I can eat anything...I even had bubble tea today and didn't have a problem with chewing the tapioca balls. Tomorrow I'm planning to go back to yoga class. I still have a little jaw soreness but other than that I'm fine. So seriously, don't worry too much! Yes, there are tons of awful stories, but I think statistically speaking the chances of anything bad happening to you isn't very high.

Quote mariana View Post
    Lol, don't worry too much! I was totally freaked out before I got my teeth out too, but really the chances of something going wrong aren't that high. Apart from not liking being given sedation, my teeth extraction went extremely well. I barely had any pain, and swelling was minimal as well (other people couldn't even tell I'd had surgery). Numbness went away within a few hours and I was able to eat soup, and by the next day I was eating a mushy potato/chickpea dish. I was energetic even the day of my surgery and didn't even want to take a nap...I also got kind of high/happy off the vicodin, lol. I don't like taking pain meds much, so I stopped the vicodin after one day and took tylenol for 2 days but after that I didn't need it any more. I got to eat tons of vegan ice cream which made me quite happy and now a week later I can eat anything...I even had bubble tea today and didn't have a problem with chewing the tapioca balls. Tomorrow I'm planning to go back to yoga class. I still have a little jaw soreness but other than that I'm fine. So seriously, don't worry too much! Yes, there are tons of awful stories, but I think statistically speaking the chances of anything bad happening to you isn't very high.

It's funny (not really but well - you know) the first thing I thought about after I got attacked a while back was
    I hope I haven't broken any teeth!
    Luckily I didn't but I think it is something that I'm kind of concerned about to say the least.

All in all - I think I will keep my teeth for now as I'm currently quite fond of them.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

i'm due to have my wisdom teeth out but i'm doing it on the NHS and i was told there's about a year-long waiting list they keep getting very sore and my dentist said it's best to have them taken out. i'm not looking forward to it. i've never had any other teeth taken out.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Thanks for your responses. I'm feeling a little better about it now, but still undecided whether to have the sedative. My mum's offered to come with me so maybe I'll do that and have the sedative.

Zero

Wow maisepaise, I hope you figure it out and hope it goes well. I would personally opt to do it without the sedative as they can cause issues themselves.

Ella: Thats crazy about the wisdom teeth! I had one flare up about a year ago but I refused to have it removed because it is really close to the nerve, I just did Oil Pulling for a week and it hasn't caused me an issue since, quite weird really. Not really sure why it would have helped but those EPA's can't hurt and I got a hard lump of something out of my mouth when doing it.

Phone NHS Direct and ask them.
    They may also be able to tell you how to get seen at the Manchester Dental Hospital instead.
    I have never had a sedative during dental treatment since I was a child in the !970's. I had my wisdom teeth out with a local.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

I had local when i had one of my wisdom teeth out to and havent been sedated since i was about 13, i didnt even know they still did that at the dentist.
    Good luck Maisie.

I wish I'd known about so many other people having their wisdom teeth out with local only. I would have pushed them harder not to give me general anesthesia, but they acted like I had to do it and if I didn't they wouldn't take my teeth out! It was my first time being sedated and I was nervous about any problems it could cause but they just kind of waved aside my worries.

Quote Digital Ghost View Post
    It's funny (not really but well - you know) the first thing I thought about after I got attacked a while back was
    I hope I haven't broken any teeth!
    Luckily I didn't but I think it is something that I'm kind of concerned about to say the least.

All in all - I think I will keep my teeth for now as I'm currently quite fond of them.
    Well, it's awful that you were attacked and I'm really sorry about that ...but I did LOL that the first thing you thought about were your teeth!

Its done. The 2 offending teeth have been removed. I decided to go without the sedative and it wasn't too bad. However I can't believe my mouth is still bleeding 6 hours later. I'm sitting here biting on bits of towelling to stop the bleeding, starving hungry and gagging for a cup of tea

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    Its done. The 2 offending teeth have been removed. I decided to go without the sedative and it wasn't too bad. However I can't believe my mouth is still bleeding 6 hours later. I'm sitting here biting on bits of towelling to stop the bleeding, starving hungry and gagging for a cup of tea
    Hey well done be careful not to disrupt the sockets too soon, the blood clot that forms in the sockets musn't be disturbed or they will be very painful. Drink the tea with a straw and don't chew!
    I'm sure it will soon settle down
    Silent but deadly :p

Thanks, I was wondering if I should risk eating something yet but maybe I'll wait until tomorrow. Hunger probably isn't as bad as the pain, which thankfully has subsided for now

RubyDuby

ahh dont use a straw! (or smoke)
    the sucking pulls out the clot.
    i had dry socket too and it was awful!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Its a week now since my teeth were pulled out and my mouth is still hurting, my gums are swollen and I can feel a bit of tooth still remains. I phoned the dentist but they can't fit me in for 2 weeks and said to go to the A&E department at the hospital if it gets bad. Well it is bad but it isn't really an emergency. I tried to find the number for A&E to ask if they'd see me but I can't find the number and frankly I'd feel stupid for asking.

Does anyone know what the usual procedure is for cases such as this or will I just have to wait in pain for 2 weeks for the dentist to see me? I can't go to another dentist because I don't know any others who'll take NHS patients and I don't have enough money to pay.

Obviously we have a different health care system here, so Im not sure about that... but as far as the pain, I remember being on oxycontin. What are you on? I took that for three weeks... so maybe a week or two longer would be okay. I'd call to see how long he thinks you can stay on meds and if you can get a perscription.

I'm taking non-prescription extra strength pain killers which I bought over the counter. They are helping but I'm worried that something's wrong as lots of people have said I shouldn't be having problems after a week. Theres a big gaping hole in my gum which food keeps getting trapped in, its totally gross!

You might have an exposed nerve. I had one, even though the hole closed after about two weeks. I was picking food out of it for a while. I wouldnt worry about the hole; but the pain sucks. For me, tt took about 3 months for the nerve pain to subside. If you don't have Rx meds, maybe you could call in to a doctor to ask if they think they're necessary or possiblity of an exposed nerve.

If its not getting any better or the pain, bleeding or swelling is getting worse, go to A&E.
    Don't try to phone ahead, just go, and be prepared for a long wait.
    Its what your dentist suggested you do after all.
    The A&E staff will prioritise anyone waiting, in order of urgency, so don't be shy about going.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

A friend of my mums told me about another dentist that would probably see me as NHS. I called them this morning and they booked me in within 2 hours. I have dry socket infection. They gave me different antibiotics and said to come back for a check up next week. What I thought was a bit of tooth left behind is actually exposed bone! The receptionist was disgusted that they were willing to leave me in pain for 2 weeks. Needless to say I'll be continuing to see this new dentist rather than the one who butchered me

Dry socket is the most pain I've ever had. And I had my teeth extracted with "minimal" novacaine, so I felt it all. The dry socket was SO much worse.

So you know, dry socket isn't the dentist's fault. Sometimes it just happens. However, the treatment of it is 100% in the hands of the dentist and oral surgeons and support staff. If you are left in pain for TWO DAYS, you need to seek different, more compassionate support. Good luck!

That's such a horrible pain.
    context is everything

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    What I thought was a bit of tooth left behind is actually exposed bone! The receptionist was disgusted that they were willing to leave me in pain for 2 weeks. Needless to say I'll be continuing to see this new dentist rather than the one who butchered me

yikes! sorry that you're in pain sending you healing thoughts...
    You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you.
    ~John Wooden

sorry you're still in pain Maisie, but i'm glad to hear you found another dentist who's hopefully sorted it out.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

oh gosh i'm so sorry to hear that. hope you're feeling better now.

i need two wisdom teeth out soon. i had two out in whitechapel on a local anaesthetic which was painful but fairly straight forward. my dentist at the time refused to take the other two out even though the dental surgeon recommended it. I now a new dentist in Wales but my local hospital has a horrendous reputation so i don't think i trust them :s

anyway i found Clove oil applied to the wound hurt like hell initially but soon ebbed the pain away. that, and pints of gin.