Thread: Canker sores

Default Canker sores

I have had painful canker sores (not cold sores) on and off for about six months. Sometimes it's so painful I can hardly eat. I went to the doctor and she could not figure out what the cause is. I'm in general good health, at least from what I know, and I have a well balanced diet. Maybe it's still could be vitamin or mineral deficiency?...

Does anybody know what causes this????
    "Animals are my friends... and I don't eat my friends". ~ George Bernhard Shaw.

tails4wagging

Has the doctor called them cancer sores, do you mean that?.

I had mouth ulcers years ago, quite a lot in fact, it turned out to be a side affect of HRT I was on for a short time, never again!!!!.

Try cutting back on fruit, acid from them can cause mouth ulcers. Have you had a blood profile done are you anaemic?. If you are run down you could be prone to illnesses and weakened immune system.

I believe cancer sores and mouth ulcers are the same thing. I haven't had my blood work done lately. I doubt I'm anemic, though, because I feel very energetic and I'm the one not catching a cold when everyone around me are sick. So, this is what confuses me so much. I've tried everything, even changed tooth paste (I did get better for a while after changing, but it came back after a few months ) You said something about fruit consumption and I guess that's something I've not tried to cut back on...It's so gooood...how can I do that?

tails4wagging

Try cutting out acidy fruits like oranges, lemons that sort of thing. Why not try vegan yogurt to try to neutralise the bacteria?. Your dentist may give advice.

I am sure someone on here may come up with a herbal remedy why not ask Manish (let-me view) he comes up with some good ideas?.

Too much baby corn will give me mouth ulcers, also some people find chocolate can bring them on.
    Make sure you take a daily multivitamin in case you're low on something.

okay, first of all its spelled canker sores! u dont want anyone to think uve got cancer!

yes canker sores are mouth ulcers. i get them often when i eat things with gluten (because ive got celiac disease)

heres a link

http://www.animated-teeth.com/canker...nker_sores.htm
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote foxytina_69
    okay, first of all its spelled canker sores! u dont want anyone to think uve got cancer!

yes canker sores are mouth ulcers. i get them often when i eat things with gluten (because ive got celiac disease)

heres a link

http://www.animated-teeth.com/canker...nker_sores.htm

phew! well done foxy, i was very concerned with the canCer sores spelling.

Lightbulb So called canker sores

The ones I'm familiar with are cold sores. The "cold" here is a herpes virus, simplex one if I remember correctly. Just about everyone carries these around and they will pop up on the gum tissue seemingly spontaneously due to stresses of some kind or other.

The varichella virus is another one of these that inflicts huge numbers of people, usually not until fifty or so. It is the re-emergence of the dorment chickenpox virus that remains in the spine of anyone who has ever had the disease. I had a very serious attack of this herpes zoster or shingles last year. Some of the nerves on my left shoulder and neck are still not fully recovered. Very evil looking but not contagious to anyone who has ever had chickenpox.

Zoster outbreaks are mysterious. They effect approximately 25% of the population, usually the elderly. I can only speculate what allowed mine to happen. A compromise of the immune system. Probably reduced activity, weight gain, and poor diet.

There is no cure because these are viruses. New drugs can sometimes suppress early outbreaks. There are three common forms. The most common is the cold sores that started this topic. Second is zoster, and third is the sexually transmitted version, although this one may eventually move up to second.

Cold sores are common, stress related, and nothing to be concerned about. I've had them so bad I almost couldn't eat. None since the zoster outbreak. I'm hoping my immune system is stronger now and keeping all these suckers at bay.
    Last edited by chakra; Dec 2nd, 2004 at 03:47 PM. Reason: grammer
    I am a tangerine ;)

tails4wagging

On my natural first aid remedies; Chew ginger root, myrrh oil mouthwash and lavender oil mouthwash these are recommended for mouth ulcers.

Yes, like others have said, it's because of acidy type foods, like citrus fruits and I also find eating a lot of ketchup or pickles (stuff with a lot of vinegar) give me canker sores.

But I get mostly cold sores on my lips. I find stress and the weather brings those on, so maybe a lot of stress is causing your cankers...?

ConsciousCuisine

L-Lysine. Tea Tree oil. Goldenseal. Calendula.

I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

Thank you for sorting out the cancer scare. I have CANKER sores, and I'm not dying. I'll be a little more careful next time with my spelling.LOL.

Question canker sore

So...I was wondering if anyone had some input for this. I've had this nagging canker sore for about 2 weeks. This is very unusual for me, since in the past I've only had a couple canker sores when I've been really stressed (school). Right now life is good and I'm not stressed so why the heck do I have this!?! Is it because I've been drinking too much juice? Am I lacking in some mineral/vitamin? I've only been vegan for about....3 months? So I've been keeping a pretty close eye on myself to make sure I'm doing everything right. Does anyone have an idea?
    Last edited by Korn; May 5th, 2005 at 08:17 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle"
    Irina Dunn :D
    "We are not human-beings, we are human-becomings"
    Roger Ames :D

Default Re: canker sore

Maybe you bit yourself while sleeping or eating and didn't notice and now it's getting bad because of the acids in your food?

I'm not sure what causes canker sores other than stress.

Default Re: Canker sores

Cracks at the corners of the mouth are a sign of vitamin B2 (riboflavin) deficiency.

I also get canker sores, well i call them mouth ulcers and they are inside the mouth, on inside of lips, gums or tongue.

They turn up before PMT hits me.....right now i have 4 in my mouth; they just appear out of the blue at this time. They are very painful and i can hardly speak, let alone speak clearly. lol maybe my bf is lucky i get these.

I am trying to take evening primrose oil and flaxseed oil - because i was not taking these which is naughty.

I tried tea tree oil mouth wash and putting this onto the ulcers.....I tried this twice before with them but it is not helping as much this time around.

This time around they have been bad and nothing is helping so i am taking chemist ulcer stuff, lozenges which are actually helping a lot to numb them and clear them up. I dont like taking these though...

I am feeling kind of sick with them this time, sore jaw and feeling glugged up and not well.

I also read somewhere that a deficiency in L-Lysine can cause mouth ulcers. And i see someone here says that also! So i will try and get some when possible and see if that helps

Canker sores are most commonly due to deficiencies in B12, Zinc and Folic Acid. About two weeks after I decided to go Vegan, I developed 6 at once - talking and eating was a nightmare. So with nothing exciting to do at work, I read a lot about it on the web, then went straight to Holland an Barrett and bought B12, Folc Acid and chelated Zinc. After a three days on the supplements the sores started to go down, then a week later they were gone, and I haven't had any since.

This link was useful:
    http://www.openseason.com/annex/libr...fever.txt.html

Hope you feel better soon, I know how annoying ulcers can be!

I still get canker sores every two weeks or so...It's so painful and I also feel run down when I have them...I don't know what to do next, I've tried every thinkable remedy, but without any luck. Right know I have two under my tongue, which makes it hard for me to speak. I even joined a forum www.mouthulcers.org LOL.

yogini

i get mouth ulcers alot, and i find they usually come up when im feeling tired or run down and usually around my period aswell. a great combination!

also salty or spicy foods make em worse.

Canker sores

yew

I hope I can avoid them

Antony

I've been getting canker sores for most of my life. cold sores I think mine are cold. There's no cure for the type I have, they're given by kissing somebody with them and they're related in some small way to herpes. Mine come and go with health problems, when I'm weak or stressed they come up, when I'm getting dental work done they seem to crop up, when I've got an infection or cold of any kind.

Make sure you find out WHICH kind of mouth sores exactly you have, and check back with the doctor regularly. :3 Sometimes he/she can perscribe a mouth gel like orajel for the sores for pain and prevent infection.
    ~"Stay calm and quiet now, my pretty little one, don't struggle like that, or I will only love you more," Lullabye, The Cure

Gliondrach

As many of the others have said, it could be a deficiency of L-lysine or the B vits. Or stress. Or allergies. Citrus fruits can make it worse, as has been pointed out. Not enough iron, perhaps. A change of toothpaste has been mentioned but what about the toothbrush? Don't use a hard one. Soft ones are best. The old acid/alkaline balance.

Wet tea bags can be helpful as a poultice, if the sores are accessible. Or you could swish tea around in your mouth.

There is actually a herb called canker root. American Indians used it for canker sores.

Ask your doctor if you could use Metronidazole to fight canker.

Cold sores on the lips are a form of herpes called herpes simplex. Nothing to get too excited about because the majority of the population has them.
    However, NEVER perform oral sex while you are having an outbreak, nor recieve oral sex from someone who has an outbreak. Dr. Drew says that they can be spread to the genitals. Spreading herpes simplex to the genitals does not mean that you now have "The Herpes" (as grandma might say) it simply means that you have herpes simplex on your genitals, which would be just as painful as having them on your mouth.
    This girl I work with was telling me the canker sores or mouth ulcers (in the mouth) are another type of virus related to the herpes virus. I am not sure if this sure true.

Quote Haniska
    Is there another thread like this one somewhere? Cold sores on the lips are a form of herpes called herpes simplex. Nothing to get too excited about because the majority of the population has them.
    However, NEVER perform oral sex while you are having an outbreak, nor recieve oral sex from someone who has an outbreak. Dr. Drew says that they can be spread to the genitals. Spreading herpes simplex to the genitals does not mean that you now have "The Herpes" (as grandma might say) it simply means that you have herpes simplex on your genitals, which would be just as painful as having them on your mouth.
    This girl I work with was telling me the canker sores or mouth ulcers (in the mouth) are another type of virus related to the herpes virus. I am not sure if this sure true.

Anyway, I was hoping to find some information on here on nuts,grains and other seeds and how to balance them with Lysine rich foods to prevent outbreaks.
    I have herpes simplex and have recently broke out though I haven't broke out in months. I blame this on the fact that I haven't eaten chocolate all year and then I had a chocolate brownie at the vegan potluck last friday. Also in the hopes of eating more nutrient dense foods (cutting back on grains)I have been adding more nuts to my diet lately. Big No-NO of course for anyone avoiding arginine.
    Ah yes, but this thread is about canker sores which are different than cold sores.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

tabitha

What is a canker sore?

Quote tabitha
    What is a canker sore?
    I believe it's an ulcer inside your mouth.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Lilac Hamster

Yes, mouth ulcers. I think canker sores is the American name. I don't think it is the same thing as cold sores at the corner of your mouth which is caused by the herpes virus.

I used to get mouth ulcers a lot as a child, but only get them rarely now, they can be quite sore. Thankfully never had a cold sore so don't think I carry the virus for it.

If you dab salt directly from the tip of your finger onto a mouth ulcer it stings like crazy for a few seconds but within a short time of doing this it starts to heal and stops being painful at all, so it's worth it, otherwise they drag on for ages being constantly sore. I've never known anything so effective as simple salt (I found lo-salt works equally well too!).

You can mouthwash with salt water, I'm sure that helps, but I've found that applying salt direct on them is more effective in making them go away quickly.
    Might not work for everyone but has always worked for me.

Never found out what causes them really though.

Lesley

Quote Haniska
    Cold sores on the lips are a form of herpes called herpes simplex. Nothing to get too excited about because the majority of the population has them.
    Please keep in mind that it is possible (in fact highly likely) to transmit the herpes virus immediately BEFORE a blister appears. This means that any unprotected sex - oral or otherwise - carries the risk of herpes simplex transmission. The same goes for kissing.

About passing oral herpes to the genitals. We don't differentiate between type I and type II herpes in the U.S. anymore since there has been such a spread between the two owing to the popularity of oral sex.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

ok i edited this too long a story and i am ranting.

short version. i beleive i might not be absorbing b12 properly thru normal vit pills. tried (mistakenly thought were vegan) bioactive b12 and for the first time in years ulcers healed without turning into a bunch of craters, sore white tongue, terrble aches and pains like the flu. these ulcers have been so bad it has been so hard to cope with. i have felt like death with them and had them for years slowly getting worse and worse symptoms with them and them getting nastier and nastier.
    its like a miracle to have them heal.
    seriouslyt and i have had previous b12 blood tests showing low normal so thought no my b12 msut be ok. but now i read b12 tests can show stupid results.
    am waiting for vegan version of bioactive b12 to start taking i am praying this is going to keep working.