Thread: Vegan Liquid Diet?

Unhappy Vegan Liquid Diet?

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend has Crohn's disease and has recently been having some problems with strictures (small contracted areas) in her lower intestine, leading to excruciating pain when she eats any food that's relatively solid or hard to digest. Her doctor's have recommended that she go on a liquid\very soft food diet while she waits for surgery (in early August) and we are struggling with ways to keep her full and satisfied without causing her pain. Her doctors are recommending Ensure and other dairy based, heavily vitamin fortified meal replacers, and we were wondering if there are any soy or rice milk based alternatives. Also, could people post some of their favorite low-fiber, easily digestable foods? Ideas for breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, whatever would be really appreciated. Thanks so much in advance for the help!

Default Re: Vegan Liquid Diet?

I don't know of any off hand even though I work in the NHS - never seen any dairy free ones but they must exist because so many people have dairy allergies now. The best thing for your girlfriend would be referral to a dietician. You really need dietician advice for a serious condition like this.
    Silent but deadly :p

There are vegan protein powders (intended for athletes etc) but I think they tend to have sort of ground-up fibre in them Strained soups etc would probably be OK but not very calorific.

As Hemlock says you really need professional advice. Could you try something like the Vegetarian Resource Group and see if they can put you in touch with a vegan-friendly dietician? http://www.vrg.org/

I dont think they make anything specifically like Ensure that's vegan, but it seems like a traditional supplement could work, something like VEGA. It's really great, easy to drink and has everything you'll need for minerals and vitamins. It's made from plants and doesnt have soy or animal ingredients in it. Good luck!

Oh, and I second their opinions to get with a dietician, they should be able to help, as well

Mahk

I have several vegan meal replacement shake mixes on hand that I often will blend with soy milk and a banana (preferably frozen) or berries. I think of them as emergency supplies say if I run out of food. They aren't a staple of my diet that is.

www.genisoy.com
    www.wholefoodsmarket.com [house brand soy protein powder chocolate]
    www.naturade.com [French vanilla]

I mentioned the flavors I had because some of these may not be vegan in all flavors so obviously check first.

Hope she gets well soon.

You could try a baby milk powder added to smoothies? I used to use Farleys soya formula which is vegan.

Oh, and forgot to add, I had to go about 2 weeks on liquid foods and ate:
    soy yogurt, apple sauce, water, baby food (LOL), pureed soups like tomato or butternut squash.

wouldnt higher fiber help? why low-fiber?

I'd say soups... with a potato base for the low fiber-high calories... potato brocc-tomato, butternut, carrot, hell even snag a can of pumpkin. I have a lot of fun experimenting with soups- I too have a hard time with solid foods- doesnt matter if its chips or a raw piece of broccoli. :/ I eat lots of yogurts, smoothies, mashed potatos, overcooked lentils (lol), hummus, bananas... apple sauce(good warmed with cinn!),tofu eggsalad(extra mashed)...um....zensoy puddings...tbh i just walk thru the store on a mushy food hunt. Its a tough one. what if she chews well cooked food long enough till it becomes mush followed by water? would that work?

I found this article with a quick search (and not for the first time have I seen it):-

Question #4: What are some of the most interesting and inspiring success stories you heard from others during your travels?
    Answer: I have heard many, and I have personally counseled over 1,000 people with colitis and Crohn’s disease back to health. My healing success from ulcerative colitis was pretty dramatic. I include as many self-healing stories as I can find in my Living Nutrition magazine and I include them on the Living Nutrition Web site at http://www.livingnutrition.com. The stories are amazing, covering almost every known “medical condition,” from allergies to asthma, cancer, chronic fatigue, colitis, Crohn’s disease, deafness, diabetes, Epstein-Barr, migraines, multiple sclerosis, spinal meningitis...you name it!

http://www.livingnutrition.com/interview_2.html

try looking for raw soup recipes. most are blended smooth, delicious, and very nutritious!

the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote LittleSeaWolf View Post
    wouldnt higher fiber help? why low-fiber?
    I think high fiber food have too much bulk and would cause her more pain.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

There is a product called Slippery Elm Food which is available in health food stores.
    You can make this up with soya milk or water and it is very nutritious and puts a sort of soothing mucus in the digestive tract.
    It is specifically for people who can't eat much.
    I got some for a relative who has ulcerative colitis (closely related to Crohn's disease) and she found it very helpful.
    You could also get her some soya yoghurt, the probiotic kind might work well.
    My relative likes anything made with rice, and finds it easy to digest, so what about a sort of rice and bouillion soup?
    Does she like miso, if so try miso and rice soup. Miso is very nutritious.
    You should be able to get flavoured soya milk which could substitute for the ensure, here in the UK most soya milks have added vitamins and minerals.
    There is also a product called Oat-so simple, which is flavoured oatmeal which has added vitamins. Add extra soya milk or water and cook it a little longer to make it more liquid.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/