Thread: Jo Stepaniak on selecting foods that best sustain the Earth/animals/ourselves

Default Jo Stepaniak on selecting foods that best sustain the Earth/animals/ourselves

Default Re: Jo Stepaniak on selecting foods that best sustain the Earth/ animals/ourselv

That Jo Stepaniak, she's fab isn't she?
    Last edited by Ruby Rose; Jan 18th, 2010 at 05:06 PM.

Default Re: Jo Stepaniak on selecting foods that best sustain the Earth/animals/ourselve

Yeah, Joanne is great. She writes great books and cookbooks.
    All about the animals, Lucia

leedsveg

Default Re: Jo Stepaniak on selecting foods that best sustain the Earth/animals/ourselve

Excellent website full of useful, informative info.

lv

Our incisors seem perfectly-adapted to eating apples and peaches, and sweet corn, or immature corn. Our canines, which are only slighly longer than our incisors, help get a grip but are smaller than those of chimpanzees or gorillas, yet gorillas are nearly total vegetarians.

While it has been said that we are not well adapted for eating uncooked meat, the other side of the argument is that we are well adapted for cooking meat.

In truth - our brains make us adapted to being able to survive on anything we want to survive on. Why cause suffering if we don't have to? Do you want to? If you want to you can. But it makes me wonder about you, if that is what you do.
    Soil to soil.

Even though humans, during evolution and up until now, are equipped to eat both a plant based diet and a meat and vegetable diet, the difference between humans and non-humans that eat meat is that human animals have a choice to eat a non-violent diet, while the non-human animals don't. If non-human animals knew what we know, they would try to be vegan too , even though there are some non-human animals that would die if they ate only a plant-based diet.

Quote VeganLu View Post
    If non-human animals knew what we know, they would try to be vegan too , even though there are some non-human animals that would die if they ate only a plant-based diet.
    You're entitled to your view, of course, but I can't agree that other species would choose veganism even if it were to kill them. That just seems like romanticism or extreme anthropomorphism to me. After all, our own species, as a whole, doesn't choose veganism even when the conditions in animal rearing are known.

Oh no, you misunderstood me, and I can see why. My point was that there are some animals that would die if they went vegan, so I was leaving them out of my fantasy story. Please read that sentence again. Of course I know that if certain animals were able to know how animals are suffering, they certainly would also know that a plant based diet would kill them. My main point was that human animals have a choice to be compassionate and not eat meat or mistreat non-human animals, but non-human animals do not have a choice. On another note, some animals eat only a plant based diet and are naturally vegan. I have 4 goats that I rescued, and they are vegan. However, I have chickens that I also rescued, and they are not vegan. They eat bugs and worms.

Please believe me when I say I do not anthropomorphize concerning animals. I do not think that way about them at all, even though they show happiness, playfullness, sadness, pain, and have good memories, just like us. Non-human animals are very much like us in many ways, so I don't have to anthropomorphize them. You just have to look at non-human animals and see how us and them are not that much different. That is why they should not suffer at the hands of human animals, and human animals should just leave them alone, but that is not the case, unfortunately.