Thread: Purely Decadent Cookie Dough ice cream:sugar

Question Purely Decadent Cookie Dough ice cream:sugar

Does the sugar in purely decadent cookie dough flavor ice cream go through bone char?Does anyone know?I just got some and want to eat it but I noticed it said 'sugar' but not what kind so I was wondering if it went through bone char..Sorry if this is a weird question. :|
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

Default Re: Purely Decadent Cookie Dough ice cream:sugar

I believe they explicitly state vegan on their site, so i should think the sugar will be fine.

Yes,and it says on the container "certified vegan" but I was asking because some vegans will stll eat sugar that goes throug bone char AND it's not technically an animal product so I though like maybe the sugar doesn't matter and they can put vegan anyways.But I would think it wouldn't go through bone char since it's vegan :\
    Oh and it's the brand from turtle mountain. Thanks for the help though.
    "There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle." -Robert Alden

yeah but I don't think it can be "certified" vegan if it has a non-vegan ingredient.

ETA: I realised that sounded bitchy and short. Sorry, it wasn't meant to be. Just to state that personal choice is one thing, corporate responsibility is another.

You should be safe.

If all else fails, contact 'em and ask.

What does certified in this instance mean?

Tofutti label products as vegan in the states that use sugar filtered with bone char, there are emails from them to prove it on this forum.

Alright,thanks.

Hm,I don't know really..All I know is it says certified vegan on it but I live in the united states soo..I don't know. :\

Quote Mr Flibble View Post

Tofutti label products as vegan in the states that use sugar filtered with bone char, there are emails from them to prove it on this forum.
    http://www.vegan.org/campaigns/certification/index.html
    We do not allow sugar that is refined though bone char to carry the "Certified Vegan" label. Any companies that use sugar in their products must send a statement from the sugar supplier that guarantees that they do not use animal products in the production of the sugar.

Yay!Thank you so much for helping!
    That's awesome. ^_^
    Thanks for taking the time to help me.

No problemo!

I have questions about this company myself-- but here is what they say:http://www.purelydecadent.com/health/vegan.html

Quote Mr Flibble View Post

Could you refer me to this thread?

Kimberlily1983

I don't personally worry about the whole bone char thing. I think obsessing every minute ingredient does more to turn people off of veganism. That said, if you personally prefer to avoid every single trace of animal product, including products that say "May contain traces of...", that's your choice, your preference, and that's fine. I just personally don't see the point, as it doesn't get the world closer to being exploitation-free. I would rather focus my energies on educating myself about animal issues, educating others, etc.

I avoid obvious ingredients (gelatin, whey, etc.) and avoid the less-obvious ones I know about (L-cysteine). I don't worry about carrying around a list of the thousands of ingredients like certain food colorings, etc. (though I avoid cochineal, again, because I know about it). No doubt some would criticize what I do, but I'm of the opinion that sometimes less "extreme" vegans (and by that I don't in any way mean semi-vegans, who are just being hypocritical) have the most positive impact. I don't know... feel free to argue with me! lol