Thread: Eating out: options

Default Eating out: options

I'm going to stay with my brother in Southampton next week with my mum, and as the only vegan, i've been researching the menus online of the places we normally eat! The mexican opposite his flat doesn't offer much...but do you think i'll be safe with a vegetable stir fry? And a portobello mushroom burger and fries without coleslaw or cheese? Is hoisin sauce vegan?

There's also vegetable fajitas with mushrooms, peppers, onions, salsa, guacamole and sour cream - omitting the sour cream, will that be okay?

He's going to mock me anyway (not that I give a s***! )but I want to plan ahead so there's no need to make a fuss.

There's some nice antipasta there too...

Default Re: Eating out: options

Hi,

maybe these threads will be useful for you?

Vegan Southampton & Hampshire

Eating out

Although it's an abomination, guacamole sometimes has dairy produce added to it as we were discussing in another thread.

Your best bet if you want to avoid mockery might be to phone or drop into the places beforehand. They are mostly used to being asked about various allergens these days so you if you think they won't understand the v-word you can just say you're vegetarian and also want or need (see what I did there? ) to avoid dairy and eggs.

Ah good thinking, thank you. People are mad, ruining perfectly good food with animal yuckiness! Think i'll email them. As an afterthought, the stir fry noodles could be egg, so better check that too.

Thanks for the links Korn, i'll check them out now. I googled 'vegan southampton' but didn't come up with much. I think my brother's favourite indian restaurant should be okay, they have a HUGE and yummy menu.

Ooh found a good cafe within walking distance thanks to your first link Korn, not one for the family but I think i'll be by myself at least one afternoon so i'll check it out. Vegan food AND a vintage clothes shop in one building, ideal!

Hi Noodles - I work in So'ton but don't really know the everyday eating haunts very well. You might PM Sluggie if she's around as she lives in the city and has a discerning palate! She might be able to tell you which Indian / Thai / Chinese restaurants are the best.

I like the Soul Bowl at the Soul Cellar by the Civic Centre, plus there are all the usual suspects like PIzza Express.
    Last edited by Ruby Rose; Aug 20th, 2008 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Edited to improve atroooocious grammar, and so indicating that it's Sluggie who has good taste in cafes, not the city!

Thank you I was born in Soton but moved to Cornwall when I was 12, so i'm very out of touch! Last time I was there I wasn't vegan either!