Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: PETA Ad NOT OK!

Default PETA Ad NOT OK!

I'm sory but I think this ad is not a very good idea. I am actually ashamed to be somewhat affiliated with them. I understand what they are trying to say, don't get me wrong here, but the timing is just wrong. That's my opinion.

http://blog.peta.org/archives/2008/0...balistic_a.php

Default Re: PETA Ad NOT OK!

I think it's a stupid ad too. It will cause disgust and alienation - at PETA, not at the livestock industry.

seitan

i like it when people have to face the reality (similarity) of their actions.

what exactly is it that people dont like about this ad?

Quote seitan View Post
    what exactly is it that people dont like about this ad?
    I'd say the trouble with it is that only people who are already veg*n are likely to see it as a somewhat valid parallel. Omnivores don't think meat-eating is like cannibalism because of the distinction they make between animals and people, and that's why they're omnivores.
    Last edited by harpy; Aug 8th, 2008 at 05:24 PM. Reason: To remove a mistake

people won't associate the similarities between the murder of the man on the bus and the slaughter of animals in the meat industry. they'll just think it's sick of Peta to use the story for their own ends.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Vegabond View Post
    I'm sory but I think this ad is not a very good idea. I am actually ashamed to be somewhat affiliated with them. I understand what they are trying to say, don't get me wrong here, but the timing is just wrong. That's my opinion.

http://blog.peta.org/archives/2008/0...balistic_a.php
    Yep, what went on on that bus has shocked the nation, this will be seen by many as cheapening it! Don't think it'll do the veggie cause any good at all!
    Saying that, the Irn Bru advert with a little calf saying "When I'm a burger, I want to be washed down with Irn-Bru". ..I thought was a brilliant national campaign that would have got peoples minds on where their food comes from and yet the majority of complaints that got the advert stopped were from, wait for it, yes, vegetarians!!!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

seitan

Quote harpy View Post
    I'd say the trouble with it is that only people who are already veg*n are likely to see it as a somewhat valid parallel. Omnivores don't think meat-eating is like cannibalism because of the distinction they make between animals and people, and that's why they're omnivores.

The parallel isn't that close anyway because people don't generally eat animals alive.
    how do we know tho what carnies will get from this? did everybody here only go veg*n because they heard somebody say somehting ncie about veg*ns?

seitan

Quote Gorilla View Post
    people won't associate the similarities between the murder of the man on the bus and the slaughter of animals in the meat industry. they'll just think it's sick of Peta to use the story for their own ends.
    we dont know that. ill start a new thread.

most meat-eaters don't want to be reminded of where meat comes from, they want to keep kidding themselves. these ads may work on a few people but the majority will want to keep deluding themselves.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

i'd never heard this story before by the way, and one of the most awful things about it is that by the sound of it, nobody did anything to try and stop this guy

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Yep, what went on on that bus has shocked the nation, this will be seen by many as cheapening it!
    Agreed.

seitan

and just to clarify, it is terrible what happened, but no real suprise humans will do that to each other (weekend evenings people are fighting all over the place).

maybe off topic, but if the gu ywho did this on the bus needed a blood transfusion ,are people still willing to oblige?

Quote seitan View Post
    maybe off topic, but if the guy who did this on the bus needed a blood transfusion ,are people still willing to oblige?
    He wouldn't be top of my priority list of deserving cases but

(a) to me, he's obviously mentally ill, and
    (b) the blood transfusion system wouldn't be viable if donors tried to dictate who they were going to give their blood to

Quote seitan View Post
    and just to clarify, it is terrible what happened, but no real suprise humans will do that to each other (weekend evenings people are fighting all over the place).

maybe off topic, but if the gu ywho did this on the bus needed a blood transfusion ,are people still willing to oblige?
    You think maybe that's why he started eating the victim? in his warped mind he was 'curing' himself?

Edit:misread that, never saw the 'IF' on yer post!!!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

This Peta ad shows a severe callousness for human suffering.

That's what wrong with the ad.

I don't want people minimizing the brutal death of animals, and I don't want folks to minimize brutal deaths of people. This whole episode doesn't treat the situation with the warranted compassion needed in a time of crisis. Peta comes off as callous opportunists.

On top of it, ads aren't effective tools to change public opinion. What ads do succeed in is in elevating your own public profile.

Shame on Peta. Shame.
    context is everything

I can't see anything wrong with it really, what's the difference? People aren't going to like the comparison though as most people see themselves as superior to all other races.
    Silent but deadly :p

seitan

so, would people opposed to this ad ,also be annoyed at the holocaust/abbotior comparsions?

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    This Peta ad shows a severe callousness for human suffering
    I don't actually agree with that myself - they are saying animal suffering is as bad as human suffering, not being callous about either.

Also (to give them the benefit of the doubt) they are elevating the profile of vegetarianism/animal welfare rather than anyone's personal profile.

However, I suspect it will come across as callous and self-serving to the majority of the public, and therefore backfire.

Quote seitan View Post
    so, would people opposed to this ad ,also be annoyed at the holocaust/abbotior comparsions?

I'm not particularly annoyed by them myself, but I think they are generally counterproductive in trying to persuade people, because again the majority don't think animal deaths are very important, and so they think the comparison belittles the importance of the Holocaust. (Also because they generally have a rosy view of what happens in abbatoirs )

If a close animal friend of mine died by the hands of another, I wouldn't want someone to use my sadness, or the shocking death to tie that death to that of anyone else. Not to children in Africa, or the animal murder industry, or to anything else.

That's how human suffering works. To compare a very specific suffering to another suffering minimized the unique sadness that the first group feels.

Imagine that your most loved one dies. Then instead of saying, "I'm sorry for you loss", or "You really loved _____", people said, "Oh, I lost my friend last week too." or "That's just like the children in Africa", or "Yeah, they kill people/animals like that every week in China/Texas".

It minimizes the suffering. Sadness isn't about logic. It's about feelings. And Peta is clearly not taking into account human FEELINGS. Thus, it comes off as calculating and opportunistic.

Now, if a LEGITIMATE person involved in the suffering, with compassion and understanding and some serious tact addresses the subject, then that same comparison can be made well.

However, Peta didn't do that.

Thus, it all depends on WHO makes the comparison, WHEN the comparison is made, and HOW that comparison is made.

I see how this beheading is like animal suffering. I also see how the holocaust is like factory farms. But that doesn't make it any less easy to make that comparison without actively causing uneeded harm to the people who felt that suffering. This has nothing to do with what the "majority" think. It's about compassion towards human animals.

This ad does NOTHING but give Peta publicity while NOT changing any minds, all at the expense of a saddened community. On another board I'm on, a vegan that lives in Manitoba mentioned how horrible that Peta ad was in the community. Unless Peta is less intelligent than I know them to be, this ad is about "any publicity is good publicity" rather than actually helping liberate animals from suffering.

Again: Shame on Peta.
    context is everything

BlackCats

The advert does seem tasteless to me although I can agree with their point. I read about this crime on another forum. PETA's tactics seem very aggressive but I know that they have influenced lots of people to become veggie and vegan although they seem to stir up a lot of outrage which I assume is partly their goal. I think even if they retracted the advert and apologised they still would have got the wanted attention through it.

seitan

Quote harpy View Post
    I'm not particularly annoyed by them myself, but I think they are generally counterproductive in trying to persuade people, because again the majority don't think animal deaths are very important, and so they think the comparison belittles the importance of the Holocaust. (Also because they generally have a rosy view of what happens in abbatoirs )
    how do you propose to educate these people then if, by telling them animals die, they will turn off??
    you have GOT to try soemthing. of course, there is no way to guage how many will or wont turn.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I know that Peta has influenced lots of people to become veggie and vegan.
    I'd like to see that facts on that.

I didn't become vegan due to Peta. It was in spite of Peta. Although their go vegan packets are somewhat useful, if full of faulty information.

I like rabble rousing and I like controversy. However, Peta just seems behave unethically and really problematically, just like an unethical corporation. Peta seems to me like the McDonalds of the AR movement.
    context is everything

Quote seitan View Post
    how do you propose to educate these people then if, by telling them animals die, they will turn off??
    I think it works better to argue from a premise that people agree with rather than something that they disagree with.

Ads like the old Vegsoc "Puppy on a plate" one are quite effective IMO, because most (Western) people already agree that a puppy is not food and so it makes them think about why they apply a different standard to, say, a calf. For the Peta approach to work requires people to accept that killing animals is somehow morally equivalent to killing people, and most don't.

You're right that it may work on some people, but as Rodolfo points out it's a bit insensitive to the victim's family, though perhaps not deliberately so.

seitan

If a close animal friend of mine died by the hands of another, I wouldn't want someone to use my sadness, or the shocking death to tie that death to that of anyone else. Not to children in Africa, or the animal murder industry, or to anything else.

That's how human suffering works. To compare a very specific suffering to another suffering minimized the unique sadness that the first group feels.

Imagine that your most loved one dies. Then instead of saying, "I'm sorry for you loss", or "You really loved _____", people said, "Oh, I lost my friend last week too." or "That's just like the children in Africa", or "Yeah, they kill people/animals like that every week in China/Texas".

It minimizes the suffering. Sadness isn't about logic. It's about feelings. And Peta is clearly not taking into account human FEELINGS. Thus, it comes off as calculating and opportunistic.

Now, if a LEGITIMATE person involved in the suffering, with compassion and understanding and some serious tact addresses the subject, then that same comparison can be made well.

However, Peta didn't do that.

Thus, it all depends on WHO makes the comparison, WHEN the comparison is made, and HOW that comparison is made.

I see how this beheading is like animal suffering. I also see how the holocaust is like factory farms. But that doesn't make it any less easy to make that comparison without actively causing uneeded harm to the people who felt that suffering. This has nothing to do with what the "majority" think. It's about compassion towards human animals.

This ad does NOTHING but give Peta publicity while NOT changing any minds, all at the expense of a saddened community. On another board I'm on, a vegan that lives in Manitoba mentioned how horrible that Peta ad was in the community. Unless Peta is less intelligent than I know them to be, this ad is about "any publicity is good publicity" rather than actually helping liberate animals from suffering.

Again: Shame on Peta.
    why are you so cocksure that it will NOT change any minds?
    i hate that arrogance when people are so convinced.

Quote seitan View Post
    you have GOT to try soemthing. of course, there is no way to guage how many will or wont turn.
    Well, the thing is that ADs don't work to change minds. Any corporation that runs ads knows that. Ads are about raising the profile, but not about changing minds. Car companies know that. Phone companies know that. Everyone in business knows that. Peta MUST know that.

It's ADs aren't for the social good because they can't be for the social good. It's be nieve business for that assumption to hold, not the mention it doesn't work. I do think that Peta is calculating and knows that the ads are for increasing their own publicity at the expense of other's suffering.

It does nothing to decrease animal suffering. Few, if any effect will occur in people going veg*n, and Peta will get more money from folks whom this ad resonates with (but already agreed), and Peta can say it "did something" to it's board. It is more corporate non-profit BS, just like the Sierra Club and the Humane Society and Greenpeace.

If peta wanted to help more people go vegan instead of padding it's donation bottom line, it'd do some 1 on 1 personal organizing to go vegan. Or at least something that's proven to WORK.
    context is everything

BlackCats

I don't know any facts about it but I have read that quite a few people were influenced positively by PETA on this forum. I personally have never really heard much about PETA in this country, they are not an organisation I donate to.

Quote seitan View Post
    why are you so cocksure that it will NOT change any minds?
    i hate that arrogance when people are so convinced.
    Well, I'm a Union Organizer, and I'm going to school for organizing.

I've seen and read many studies about Advertisements. They don't change minds. At least not effectively. Ads do raise public awareness about a company/non-profit.

Sure, maybe one mind or two will change with the Peta ads. But it would be nieve to suggest that the purpose of the ads was to change minds. It's like suggesting that the purpose of eating is to grow taller.
    context is everything

I've always had success when linking the holocaust and especially slavery to using animal products, but that's probably because I do so with very careful logic. I always emphasize that there was an explicit connection with animals on the part of the Nazis or slave owners--they used language to portray Jews and black people as no more than animals. I never say things like eating meat makes you worse than a Nazi; my point is always that the logic is similar, such that look at the horrors that have been committed against anyone considered less than human. Was slavery in America bad because white people simply confused black people for lower-form animals, or was it bad because it showed complete disregard for the other?

Most people do follow along and take the question seriously when I put it that way. But that's not what this PeTA ad does, and beyond being likely offensive to most people, its logic is very shaky--one could simply say that eating the flesh of other animals is a normal part of the circle of life, and its seen in nature all the time, but what happened on that bus was the act of a mentally insane individual from a species that doesn't have cannibalistic tendencies. I'm not particularly offended by it, but I just don't think it's very smart or persuasive.

isn't it amazing how PETA always seems to appeal to the mind of the soliatray extremist, though has, in my own case once, encouraged me to seek out more the more mainstream (vegan) campaign groups.

Having said that, when you link with the ALF as well as the fluffy end of the campaign spectrum, to see a group waving their arms at you ike PETA is somehow reassuring, because there are extremes we have never heard about.. .. that people get involved with- this is an example of that. I reckon it has to do with the approach they make of being a legitate business, so if they can find or justify a way in which to alarm people, and warn them off their association with some other people- that's fine. I'll still be with them the next day. JUST NOT STICKING OUT MY NECK ON THIS OCASSION !!!!!!

seitan

you know thats not really possible.
    i have been on vegan forums were many people have said reading peta lit got them to see the light. thats how i base my experience.

I didn't become vegan due to Peta. It was in spite of Peta. Although their go vegan packets are somewhat useful, if full of faulty information.
    im not too sure what youre trying to say here. are you saying you never even knew of peta when you first became veg*n?
    if youre not saying that, and you had seen peta lit. how do you know, that they had nothing to do with you going veg*n?

Stu

I applaud PETA for having the balls to publish such a responsible advert.

I'm sick of people beating around the bush and tiptoeing around anyone who might possibly be offended. I can't see how this advert would stop anyone giving up meat. I imagine that some people who are open to the possibility, may be swayed by this advert.

I think it's a good ad too. Perhaps in bad taste, but then so is the meat industry.

Certainly it will cause offence to a lot of people. But then it might also help others (who, as Stu said, may already be open to vegetarianism) to draw the parallel between human and animal suffering.

Btw, I only just saw the ad and, like Gorilla quite rightly pointed out, I can't understand how people could just stand around and watch this?!!
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

cobweb

i like the ad.

[QUOTE=seitan;492758]you know thats not really possible.
    i have been on vegan forums were many people have said reading peta lit got them to see the light. thats how i base my experience.[quote]

Well, you're right. There's no way to really know how much Peta influences people to go veg*n.

I know my experience in message boards is that folks say that it was Vegan Outreach, or a book, or a friend, or a specific relationship with and animal that 'caused them to go vegan. Not Peta.

It is possible that you and I are looking as similar information and reading it differently. I see that Peta did not influence many peopel to go vegan. At least NONE of the vegans I know personally were greately positively influenced by Peta. It was rather personal relationships not relationships with the campaigns of corporate non-profits that led them to go vegan.

Quote seitan View Post
    im not too sure what youre trying to say here. are you saying you never even knew of peta when you first became veg*n?
    if youre not saying that, and you had seen peta lit. how do you know, that they had nothing to do with you going veg*n?
    I was aware of Peta when I first went vegan. I was EXTREMELY put off by their sexist ads, and their upper-class anti-person of color perspective. There was ONLY sensetionalism in their ads, videos, and I felt that the organization treated me condescendingly and not as an intelligent person. As an omnivore, I quickly made mince-meat of their "reasoning", because they didn't use any.

When I finally encountered a book with sound reasoning (Diet for a New America), and I met some vegans that were healthy and NOT the emaciated talking heads from Peta that I'd seen on TV getting pommelled by the media, then I figured that going vegan was 1) possible and 2) ethically reasonable.

My encounters with Peta as an omnivore only put me off of veganism and further made me understand it less.

Only my personal interactions with a vegetarian GF, and meeting vegans in the punk community, and the reading of a book with sound reasoning led me to go vegan.

Since Peta did exist when I went vegan, so it might've influenced some of those around me. Peta did produce the vast majority of vegan friendly literature out there. Since it is a megalith, it (unfortunately) frames much of the AR debate. However, it was my experience that Peta wasn't the entire AR debate, just as the Sierra Club isn't all of environmentalism.

I do think that Peta is useful in some ways, just as the Sierra Club is useful in some ways. I'd be happy to support them in most of their endeavors. However, when it comes down to it, I think that Peta is a corporate non-profit whose goal is to grow rather than really solve the situation that it profits from... just like the Sierra Club is with Environmentalism.

This ad is one such case.

The ad will be a success in getting people talking about Peta. It will get fre media play in the networks that pick it up. This ad will be a sucess in giving Peta free publicity. However, it won't really be effective in changing any minds. Perahaps one or two nation wide vs. the millions who will be put off AR forever. But in the process, Peta has gained more attention, and more folks like the ones on this board who already support Peta, will see Peta as under attack and give money to maintain the status quo.

I feel that boards like this one -- were people interact personally -- do MUCH more for AR and veganism than Peta does with it's millions of dollars and celebrities.
    context is everything

I think it's a disgusting thing for PETA to do.

I'm in Canada (where the murder happened), and it's been in every single piece of news since the day it happened. People are shocked and disgusted by what happened. The guy that was murdered had lots of friends in Vancouver (because he worked the carnival circuit during summer), so we've been hearing a lot about it here, especially.

Peta are stupid for trying to publish an ad at a time when most people are reeling from what happened. I also think it's disrespectful to the victim's family and friends to try and cheapen his death with ads about animal cruelty.

Peta need to find their own agenda here and not cash in on this man's unfortunate death.

Just to add something, sort of off topic, but along with the PETA ad, there was also a church group from the USA who travelled to the border, trying to protest the funeral, stating that this was an act of God, acted upon Canada, for their support of homosexual marriages and abortion...so can you just imagine for one second what this poor family is going through. Not only did they loose this young boy, but they heard about it via a news reporter, had to face the media and deal with PETA and this so called Christian group. PETA could have thought things over just a little bit. So for those of you who think the ad is so great, well put yourself in the families shoes just for a moment.

I personally think that ad (along with most things peta do) is bloody disgusting.

I can't believe some people like it..

upper-class anti-person of color perspective.
    ??? Can you explain this please?

It's pretty unremarkable. I don't find it good or offensive. I don't really see how anyone can feel strongly about it in any way.

By the way, I went vegan because of Peta.

I'm the same as Rodolfo, I went vegan in spite of Peta. I hate them with a passion.

I went vegan because of Peta too. I still think the idea behind this ad is disrespectful and causes the general public to think badly of them.

BlackCats

Quote Vegabond View Post
    Just to add something, sort of off topic, but along with the PETA ad, there was also a church group from the USA who travelled to the border, trying to protest the funeral, stating that this was an act of God, acted upon Canada, for their support of homosexual marriages and abortion...so can you just imagine for one second what this poor family is going through.
    (That is so awful, that makes me so angry. I saw the Louis Theroux programme about a family that did things like that.)

I think PETA try to provoke reactions in people and judging by the responses I have read just on this forum their tactics obviously do work. I do think some people need to be jolted out of their apathy just to turn veggie or vegan and PETA's shock tactics do work in that regard although it does alienate some omnis (and vegans obviously.) Saying that I do understand why some people would be offended by this advert.

When I looked up PETA yesterday after reading this thread and their website seems very informative and not shocking at all so maybe they just want the average person to type in PETA after seeing one of their adverts and get their wider message. I think people become vegan for all types of reasons and an advert like this probably will make a few people think.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I'm the same as Rodolfo, I went vegan in spite of Peta. I hate them with a passion.
    Moi aussi.
    The so called advertisment is so self defeating I wonder, as usual, whether these P.E.T.A really care about people or animals. We should have some naked woman athlete beheaded rather than wear fur next..
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

I honestly know very little about peta, so can neither support nor condone their ways/actions – and they certainly didn’t play a part in my going Vegan. I would however be interested to see proof of this:
    and their upper-class anti-person of color perspective.

I found the ad in rather bad taste. Although I agree with Stu that there's too much 'pussyfooting' around, this is going a little too far imo. Common Decency line: __________ : overstepped.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

seitan

I was aware of Peta when I first went vegan. I was EXTREMELY put off by their sexist ads, and their upper-class anti-person of color perspective. There was ONLY sensetionalism in their ads, videos, and I felt that the organization treated me condescendingly and not as an intelligent person. As an omnivore, I quickly made mince-meat of their "reasoning", because they didn't use any.
    ive never understood the mentality behind beign "put off" going veg*n because of what an organisation or individual said.
    surely if youre starting to feel compassion for animals, an asshole veg*n isnt going to somehow make YOUR compassion dissapear?
    i hear this way too often from carnies " your lot put me off going veg*n".

When I finally encountered a book with sound reasoning (Diet for a New America), and I met some vegans that were healthy and NOT the emaciated talking heads from Peta that I'd seen on TV getting pommelled by the media, then I figured that going vegan was 1) possible and 2) ethically reasonable.
    and do you know FOR SURE that none of these vegans were influenced by peta in any way?

My encounters with Peta as an omnivore only put me off of veganism and further made me understand it less.
    ive addressed this above, and still dont understand the mentality behind it.
    Only my personal interactions with a vegetarian GF, and meeting vegans in the punk community, and the reading of a book with sound reasoning led me to go vegan.
    again, how do you know none of these punks were influenced in some way by peta?

Personally, I do not agree with everything PETA does. Then again, it takes a lot of guts to produce such an ad because it will cause for a lot of people to disagree, consider it cruel and wrong. I feel for the family and friends of this young man who was murdered. But I think that it is important to sometimes horrify people and make them think. When a crime happens, I mean when a human being is getting murdered, this person has a name, family and loved ones. It is not just any "victim", any nameless creature. He / she is somebody, a real person. That's what makes the difference to a lot of people and they feel grief.

Most people (I'm afraid) are not shocked anymore when they see human beings starving and suffering. To a lot of people they are far away, those people have no names they are just anybodies.

And that is the same thing happening with animals. To most people (= omnivores) e. g. a pig is not a living creature, with feelings, emotion, intelligence, having the right to live. To most people a pig is just a supplier for meat or just a pork chop. These people simply don't care. Could it be that a lot of people just feel that way because all these billions of animals who are getting slaughtered every day on this planet are just nameless, faceless, anybodies to them? These people don't bother to take a closer look and think about the fact that each life matters of every creature big or small, human being or animal.

I guess that is the message that PETA wants to get across and that it was not their intention to hurt this young man's family or loved ones or to disregard him in any way. When the holocaust ad came out about 5 years ago I was shocked because I was able to see the parallels and I appreciated this campaign. Again, I don't think that it was in PETA's intention at all to contemn the Jews.

It takes shocking moments and controversial campaigns, etc. to get people's attention and to make them think. It is sad, but it is true. Also, it'd be very interesting to know how many omnivores actually start reconsidering their eating habits after viewing this ad.
    Be the change that you want to see in the world. (Mahatma Ghandi)

Quote KayVegan View Post
    Personally, I do not agree with everything PETA does. Then again, it takes a lot of guts to produce such an ad because it will cause for a lot of people to disagree, consider it cruel and wrong. I feel for the family and friends of this young man who was murdered. But I think that it is important to sometimes horrify people and make them think. When a crime happens, I mean when a human being is getting murdered, this person has a name, family and loved ones. It is not just any "victim", any nameless creature. He / she is somebody, a real person. That's what makes the difference to a lot of people and they feel grief.

Most people (I'm afraid) are not shocked anymore when they see human beings starving and suffering. To a lot of people they are far away, those people have no names they are just anybodies.

And that is the same thing happening with animals. To most people (= omnivores) e. g. a pig is not a living creature, with feelings, emotion, intelligence, having the right to live. To most people a pig is just a supplier for meat or just a pork chop. These people simply don't care. Could it be that a lot of people just feel that way because all these billions of animals who are getting slaughtered every day on this planet are just nameless, faceless, anybodies to them? These people don't bother to take a closer look and think about the fact that each life matters of every creature big or small, human being or animal.

I guess that is the message that PETA wants to get across and that it was not their intention to hurt this young man's family or loved ones or to disregard him in any way. When the holocaust ad came out about 5 years ago I was shocked because I was able to see the parallels and I appreciated this campaign. Again, I don't think that it was in PETA's intention at all to contemn the Jews.

It takes shocking moments and controversial campaigns, etc. to get people's attention and to make them think. It is sad, but it is true. Also, it'd be very interesting to know how many omnivores actually start reconsidering their eating habits after viewing this ad.

Like I said, I understand their point, I just thought their timing was wrong...would the Holocaust ad (I haven't seen this one BTW) been more or less effective/hurtful say back in the 1940's??

Anyway coming back from my holidays, driving on the highway, I felt very sad for every victim we passed, squashed on the highway (aka roadkill). I also felt very sad for the two bears who were killed for entering neighborhoods here in Canada. Although one did attack a women, the second bear was just hungry. It's funny cause they will never show humans being fired at with guns, but they'll show an animal being taken down with multiple shots from a several shotguns. This to me would have made for a more effective PETA ad, speaking up for the poor defencless bear.

Other than when they send me money through the post I agree with very little that PETA do. They certainly had no bearing on me becoming vegan.

That said they have a place in the world, I see them as an answer to celebrity loving shallow illogical people who are unlikely to be won over by trival things like facts, logic and ethics. It's a sad reality that some people (quite a lot actually) really do need semi naked celebrities to tell them how to lead their lives.

If I were to run an AR charity (which I don't, it's easy to bash the work of others) I wouldn't have run this ad, but then as I say I wouldn't personally do a lot of the stuff they do.

I think it's of bad taste and insensitive. Am I shocked that they've run it? No.

Quote Vegabond View Post
    I also felt very sad for the two bears who were killed for entering neighborhoods here in Canada. Although one did attack a women, the second bear was just hungry. It's funny cause they will never show humans being fired at with guns, but they'll show an animal being taken down with multiple shots from a several shotguns. This to me would have made for a more effective PETA ad, speaking up for the poor defencless bear.
    Indeed.
    You'll need some nude, iconically formed women in it or no one will be interested, apparently.

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Other than when they send me money through the post I agree with very little that PETA do.
    Haha. I always try to use this as a yardstick with everything.