Thread: What a Waste!

Cool What a Waste!

According to Dr Tim Jones, University of Arizona, Bureau of Applied Research in Anthropology, who has spent 10 years following America's food from field to landfill and all stops in between, the amount of food being wasted not only by organisations, but also by families, runs into billions of dollars each year! He said that as we prepare for the Festive Season, food and lots of it comes sharply into focus, and asks how much food we waste, not just at this time but every day?

I was surprised and appalled by the results of his study, especially as I don't waste any food, unless one would count the fibre remaining in the juicer after I've juiced some carrots. Anyhow, I'm wondering, as many of the posters here live in the US, what you think. Incidentally, his url is http://bara.arizona.edu/
    Eve

it is pretty insane how much we waste. i've noticed how much food my school has to throw away, despite the effort to reuse/reserve what they can. some things can't be put back out because of a real or percieved health threat, so leftovers have to just be tossed. at home i try and use everything, although every once in a while i'll forget to cook something and it will go to waste in my fridge. americans are just big wasters. food is no exception.

I have to admit, since I started doing my grocery shopping at Whole Foods Market (organic grocery store), I now waste nothing, when it comes to food and products used around the home!

This is mainly because Whole Foods is so expensive and, I cannot afford to waste anything anymore (such as not eating left-overs, letting fruit/veg go bad etc).