Thread: Video: 9 Olympic Gold Medal winner Carl Lewis on being vegan

Default Video: 9 Olympic Gold Medal winner Carl Lewis on being vegan

Olympic Gold Medal winner Carl Lewis on being vegan

Carl Lewis, born in 1961, has won 8 Olympic gold medals plus 8 World Championship gold medals. Here's what he wrote about his performance:

In the spring of 1991 – eight months after beginning to eat vegan – I was feeling listless and thought I might need to add protein from meat to my diet. Dr. McDougall, however, explained that my listlessness was due to my needing more calories because I was training so many hours each day, not because I needed more animal-based protein. When I increased my calorie intake, I regained my energy. I was drinking 24 to 32 ounces of juice a day. I ate no dairy products. And I had my best year as an athlete ever!

Default Re: Video: 9 Olympic Gold Medal winner Carl Lewis on being vegan

Here's a link to some info about a less known vegan athlete:

Pam Boteler:
    The Best Raw Vegan Athlete
    You've Never Heard Of

"Making Waves for Gender Equity in the Olympics"
    Pam Boteler is a top-ranked, world-class athlete, activist and raw vegan who has been making waves in her sport--Sprint Canoe--for the last 8 years. Pam made USA Canoe/Kayak history at the 2000 National Championships by becoming the first woman to compete in sprint canoe--against the men. Not only did she compete, she won Gold. Up until 2000, women were prohibited from racing canoe at the US Nationals (and in almost every other country around the world). She continued to race against the men in 2001, earning Gold again, and finally, in 2002, USA Canoe/Kayak, the national governing body, changed its by-laws to allow women to compete at the National Championships in events of their own--in all age and boat categories. She is undefeated in the US since the year 2000.

More vegan athletes...
    Last edited by Korn; Aug 18th, 2008 at 10:53 PM.