Thread: Wheat free: can someone give me an example of what they eat?

Default Wheat free: can someone give me an example of what they eat?

I think my acne is triggered by dairy, sugar, and wheat (perhaps gluten as a whole). The dairy part is easy, the sugar is hard, but doable, but the gluten, not so much. I love bread and pasta!

Most mornings I eat oatmeal or toast. Oatmeal has gluten and the toast is wheat. If I eat just fruit, I don't get full, plus that's a lot of sugar. Soup and salad always work for lunch and dinner, and that's what I'd normally eat anyway.

Breakfast ideas?

And excuse the incoherency. It's 6 a.m. where I am in the U.S. *YAWN*

Default Re: can someone give me an example of what they eat?

Pure oats don't actually contain gluten. Many oats are contaminated with other grains which do contain gluten, though. I wouldn't think the amount of gluten present in regular oats would be much of an issue in your case. It is possible to buy oats that are grown and processed apart from other grains and hence are guaranteed to be gluten free.

Gluten free bread is available, so toast is possible.

Cereals with soya milk, eg - Crisped Rice, Cornflakes, Quinoa Pops, Puffed Millet. Most of those should be available with no added sugar.

Cooked breakfast? Potato wedges, Smoked Tofu bacon, tofu sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, fried polenta slices.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Quote Pob View Post
    Pure oats don't actually contain gluten. Many oats are contaminated with other grains which do contain gluten, though. I wouldn't think the amount of gluten present in regular oats would be much of an issue in your case. It is possible to buy oats that are grown and processed apart from other grains and hence are guaranteed to be gluten free.

Gluten free bread is available, so toast is possible.

Cereals with soya milk, eg - Crisped Rice, Cornflakes, Quinoa Pops, Puffed Millet. Most of those should be available with no added sugar.

Cooked breakfast? Potato wedges, Smoked Tofu bacon, tofu sausages, tomatoes, mushrooms, fried polenta slices.
    Good to know about the gluten-free oats! I'll be sure to look for those.

And great ideas, thanks!

Sainsburys do a gluten free porridge mix in their "Freefrom" section - it looks a bit soggy from the picture on the pack (it makes me think of gruel in Victorian orphanages!) but it could be worth trying. That would probably be quite filling.

I'm liking Pob's cooked breakfast suggestions more though!

EDIT and I've just noticed you're in the US so you'd have quite a long trip to a Sainsburys LOL. Maybe something similar in a supermarket over there?

Default Re: Wheat free: can someone give me an example of what they eat?

Quote daricsmami View Post
    Breakfast ideas?
    Hi daricsmami,

you'll find a lot of vegan breakfast ideas <---here!

I usually have a few bananas or Monster Mueslie's Free & Lo http://www.monster-muesli.com.au/page/products.html or rice bread, toasted w/ natural peanut butter.

You could make a smoothie? Do you think the sugar in fruit makes your acne worse or just process/refined sugar?
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Thanks everyone!

Est, when I read your post, I said to myself, "What's a Sainsbury?"

Kitteh, I think it's probably refined sugar. I think the occasional smoothie will be alright.

Zero

Thanks everyone!

Est, when I read your post, I said to myself, "What's a Sainsbury?"
    Haha funny, it's a British grocery store chain. Similar to Safeway over there in the USA

Brown rice bread is a little dense. It's not great for sandwiches but perfect for toast. Cornmeal mush is kind of like polenta in oatmeal form. Just boil cornmeal until mushy.
    I have a friend who is celiac and has always avoided oats and granola. I don't know about oats. This site may help? http://www.celiac.com/categories/Cel...n%252dFree%3F/
    Brown rice, and brown rice pastas are wonderful.
    Corn tortillas work well for tacos / burritos.
    You can find a good vegan cornbread recipe.
    There are gluten free pancake mixes out there, and frozen gluten-free waffles.
    Peanut butter and gluten-free crackers give a good start of energy.
    Puffins and Kid's Gorilla Munch are decent gluten-free cereals.
    In general... : D = Brown Rice, Corn, Quinoa, & Potatoes

I think my acne is triggered by dairy, sugar, and wheat (perhaps gluten as a whole).

Mine too! most people look at my silly when i say i have acne caused by gluten.... I've been cutting it out these last few weeks to see if it helps and it has. I don't get the bloating problems so much (now and again but not that it bothers me).
    I'm glad to hear that there's someone else the same as me out there, thanks for posting.

100% sure – I'm going vegan!

The food that has grains and starches that you can still eat are cornmeal, corn, rice and tapioca. There are other food products that are free of gluten and you can find these at your local grocery stores.

Hi there. I don't eat gluten free everyday but I certainly feel better when I do.
    As for bread, there are plenty of gluten free options, my favorite being a Millet Bread by Food For Life. Note, there are more calories and sugar in most gluten free alternative so you may need to adjust your calories somewhere else in the day. I suppose if you are looking for a sugar free, gluten free and vegan bread, you might be out of luck.
    I wouldn't eat just fruit for breakfast as it is good to balance out your meals with a little fat and protein- add some raw nuts to the mix and you may feel more full.

You can always make a gluten free salad and soup so you shouldn't have a problem there. It looks like your only challenge is going to be giving up the oatmeal. Now, they DO make gluten free oats- Bob's Red Mill makes a few gluten free option- just look for them at your local health food store.

As for me, when eating gluten free I stick to the millet bread or even these brown rice tortillas I've been loving recently. For pasta (although I don't eat a lot of it) there is quinoa pasta and brown rice pasta as well. The quinoa pasta has some protein in it which is nice. You can also find black bean or soy pasta if you'd like to try those- super high in protein.

I also eat a lot of salads which I don't know how you would even add gluten to, and I'll throw beans and/or a sunshine burger on top to make it more filling. Beans and rice or quinoa is also a meal I enjoy probably 4 or 5 days a week.
    Good luck to you!

OH, and how is your soy intake? I know when I eat to much soy I definitely see it in my skin.