Thread: I need help quitting smoking!!!

Exclamation I need help quitting smoking!!!

Please give me your best advice for quitting such a filthy habit! I started smoking when I was 13. I quit smoking for almost a year last year but started again this year and want to quit forever!
    It has been so hard, I some times make it a week but end up cracking. I hate the smell of smoke and am a in the closet smoker, so I only smoke at home after work. When I don't smoke I'm like a zombie that walks back and forth from my room and kitchen where I keep my cigarettes until I finally crack.

Default Re: I need help quitting smoking!!!

Why not rid your kitchen of them? You're only 22, so it should not be so difficult to simply stop (I mean it would be different for a person who has smoke for 50 years).
    Eve

Quote eve View Post
    Why not rid your kitchen of them? You're only 22, so it should not be so difficult to simply stop (I mean it would be different for a person who has smoke for 50 years).
    I keep them in the kitchen on a high shelf so its difficult to reach them instead of having them on me. I know I should just rid my house of all cigarettes, but unfortunately there are other smokers around.
    I wish it were "not so difficult to simply stop". It was not that hard the first time, but this time its a killer!

Have you tried the patch or nicotine gum? Some dentists offer help with quitting smoking. At least I know mine does. It might be worth it to inquire there or at your local hospital for a quitting program.

And unless you are smoking natural cigs, you are using a product that comes from companies that test on animals. That alone would be enough for me.
    Last edited by veganwitch; Aug 20th, 2008 at 06:50 AM. Reason: grammar

Josef

i just quit. i say go cold turkey and brave the withdrawal. just treat it like the flu. indulge in everything else. stay home. sleep a lot. drink a lot of water. eat a lot of food.

and use this thing:

http://quitmeter.com/index.php

it says i'm at 2 weeks and nearly 4 days. in that time, i haven't smoked what would have been 123 cigarettes and i saved 33.80.

the simplest method is often the best. don't get bogged down in methods and approaches.

i bought myself a playstation 3 for rage catharsis and distraction. i figure after a year of not smoking it will have paid for itself.

Quote veganwitch View Post
    Have you tried the patch or nicotine gum? Some dentists offer help with quitting smoking. At least I know mine does. It might be worth it to inquire there or at your local hospital for a quitting program.

And unless you are smoking natural cigs, you are using a product that comes from companies that test on animals. That alone would be enough for me.
    You are right. That right there is great motivation! I will think of the animals.

I hope you quit. I could never really understand why some people find it hard to quit. I smoked for 17 years because I wanted to, and then when I didn't want to, I stopped. Maybe you need to really hate them first, with a passion...
    k thx bai

you might find this thread useful:

Quit Smoking
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote Lifeonmars View Post
    You are right. That right there is great motivation! I will think of the animals.
    Nice going Lifeonmars. Keep us updated on your progress.

Pilaf

Always remember that while the body is weak, the mind is strong and the mind controls the body. You are not a slave, and non smokers are not super heroes. We're all humans and we decide whether to let the body lead the mind or the mind lead the body. When the mind is in control, all things become easy. Tathāgata Buddha said "With our thoughts, we make the world."

Perhaps thoughtlessness made the world we currently live in, and with new thoughts which seek to discover truth, we can remake a better one, one human at the tie.

I had a party, and now haven't smoked for three days. Now the real challenge of not buying cigarettes is next. Wish me luck. I'll buy something memorable with the cigarette money or something.

YAY!!! Congratulations on the 3 days Lifeonmars. Keep it up....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
    Think of the animals.

Well done Lifeonmars! Keep up the good work - you sound as if you're motivated to.

well if you happen to have started again. I Highly recommend Alan Carr's "The Easy way to Quit Smoking". It's a book you read while smoking. Definitely works. I hate self help books, this one works.

Hopefully this finds you 'smober' ... I am getting ready to celebrate two years smober - after over a decade of smoking - I found talking with others who where in the same position very helpful .. perhaps an internet help forum? There were underlying patterns that shocked me during a quit ... I also recommend changing the language - quit is harsh and seems to carry a neg context - how about considering the perspective that you are moving toward freedom from addiction - rather then away .... also - the quit meter was excellent - ! Way to go Josef!

Life on mars - bring life to earth ---- give those sickorettes back to the nicodemon and tell them you want to live and breath free You can do this!
    *light n blessings*

Quote veganwitch View Post
    Which are the natural ciggarates? I'm assuming that all brands test on animals.
    With ash in my mouth