Thread: Toxic Phthalates Commonly Found in Baby Powders, Lotions and Shampoos

Default Toxic Phthalates Commonly Found in Baby Powders, Lotions and Shampoos

Toxic Phthalates Commonly Found in Baby Powders, Lotions and Shampoos

Researchers measured phthalate concentrations in the urine of 163 infants between the ages of 2 and 28 months. They asked mothers how long their babies had spent playing with teething rings, pacifiers and other soft plastic products in the last 24 hours, and whether they had used body care products such as powders, creams, wipes, shampoos and lotions.

All the infants contained at least one variety of phthalate in their urine; 80 percent of them had seven or more. The urine of babies who had been exposed to lotions, shampoos or powders had four times the phthalate levels of children who had not been exposed to those products. Children under the age of eight months and those who used lotions had the highest phthalate levels.

Default Re: Toxic Phthalates Commonly Found in Baby Powders, Lotions and Shampoos

Hi

Could you be a little more specific as to which phytates, that is what are the chemical names that people should look out for as major no nos?
    pleez :smile:
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

Default Re: Toxic Phthalates Commonly Found in Baby Powders, Lotions and Shampoos

First, avoid using talc on babies or on yourself - they are poisonous (though I know that so many people believe that talc is nice). Some talcs are cheap, some are expensive, but my sister worked for years at a company producing talc, and apparently the talc is simply put into different containers for different companies, with added perfumes, but it is the same stuff. The chemical names are not indicated.
    Eve

If anyone wants to email me I am an independent consultant for a company all over the USA Canada, UK and Aust. that sells botanical products. Im concerned about this as well, My son is autistic and I often wonder if these things are related.
    Nadine blinkhornnadine@hotmail.com

I have a really good book called 'The Chemical Maze' By Bill Statham. It lists the chemical names, functions & common places where the chemicals are found (foods, cosmetics). It is terrifying when you stop & think about the number of toxins that we are exposed to every day, either directly or indirectly. Heres what the book says about phthalates....phlthalates - a chemical used in pvc plastics, cosmetics & pesticides. Causes kidney, reproductive, endocrine and neurotoxicity; mutagen; carcinogenic; teratogenic; endocrine disruption. Found in nail polish, hairspray, soaps & shampoos. This book is definately worth a look for anybody concerned about exposing their children to nasties.

Vegan_Steven

Yes, I've heard this about PVC. I was told that if heated PVC turns very deadly very quick.

It's a pretty scary world out there these days.

I run a natural health & beauty company and also have concerns about using PVC for packaging - Also PVC food wrap/packing! I really worry about the thought of chemicals being leached into a sarnie on the shelf waiting for someone to buy, non vegans get the brunt of it here too - as fatty foods like cheese and mayo are particularly bad for this leaching occurring.

It's scary to think that products assessed to be suitable for use for children and babies have ANY chemicals in them - Disposable nappies are a crime, and most wipes contain alcohol which will only cause dry skin in the long run. Any thoughts on tighter regs for products for use for children? There is already a separate set of rules, makes you wander what kind of other nasties are allowed in such products.

Rastafairyem

www.greenspiritbazaar.co.uk