Thread: homemade vegan 'bacon'

Default homemade vegan 'bacon'

this recipe is from here: http://vegweb.com/food/subs/bacon1.shtml

i just cut extra firm tofu into strips, and put them in a pan with oil. it took more then 10 minutes that the recipe suggests, it took me about 45 minutes to get them crispy, on low heat (so that they cook thru) and then i added the sauce, mine was made of 1 tbs liquid smoke, 2 tbs tamari, 1 tbs maple syrup and a little bit of water. then i cooked the strips in the sauce until the sauce was gone and it was done. i got a meateater (who's against tofu lol) to taste this and i said what is it, he said bacon! thats how good it is. im going to make more today i think
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

ConsciousCuisine

Yes, Foxy! This always goes over well! Good modifications

I was sure I posted my "Vegan Bacon" recipe here but I cannot find it now...

Anyway, I add 1/2 tsp. onion and 1/2 tsp. garlic powder, 3 T. Nutritional Yeast, 1 T. Liquid Smoke, 2 T. Braggs and 1 T. Maple Syrup and let it marinate overnight so it is really flavorful, then I cook them. I often bake them first then fry them so less oil is used.

that sounds great, but i don't think i've ever seen liquid smoke in the UK - anyone know, or is there something else that could be used instead?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

ConsciousCuisine

There is nothing that tastes like it...

You could get a US Vegan to send you a bottle in a care package...

Quote Gorilla
    that sounds great, but i don't think i've ever seen liquid smoke in the UK - anyone know, or is there something else that could be used instead?
    Yeah I'm fairly sure I've seen it. Can't remember where, perhaps supermarkets but I've definitely seen it somewhere.

It's usually with the steak sauces and such. Think worchester sauce (i so can't spell that) and it's around there. It's a scary place to go!
    ~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

If any of the folks in europe want liquid smoke, try cybercandy, online and they sell it for £3.00 a bottle.

Thumbs up Vegan Bacon!

Nt sure if this has been posted before, but here is a link to Vegan bacon. I haven't tried it yet, because I' missing some of the ingredients, but from all the comments, I think it's pretty good! oh, right, heres the LINK
    People once thought my mother is a nut, but I once thought a nut was my mother! :D

tails4wagging

where can we get liquid smoke from in the UK?.

Default Re: homemade vegan bacon

cc, id like to try to baking method. how long do you bake it and at what tempurature?

Thanks for this link, Foxytina.

I made BLT's for the first time in years and my family loved them! This recipe is better than any of the soy bacon products we've tried. If you slice the tofu very thin it gets really crispy. I also add the nutritional yeast to the tamari and liquid smoke from the beginning (it coats more evenly that way).

it IS good isnt it! im making some for dinner tonight. yummm.

Quote foxytina_69
    this recipe is from here: http://vegweb.com/food/subs/bacon1.shtml

i just cut extra firm tofu into strips, and put them in a pan with oil. it took more then 10 minutes that the recipe suggests, it took me about 45 minutes to get them crispy, on low heat (so that they cook thru) and then i added the sauce, mine was made of 1 tbs liquid smoke, 2 tbs tamari, 1 tbs maple syrup and a little bit of water. then i cooked the strips in the sauce until the sauce was gone and it was done. i got a meateater (who's against tofu lol) to taste this and i said what is it, he said bacon! thats how good it is. im going to make more today i think
    you sound like you make so many wonderful meals and are quite the chef! i want to come over to your house for dinner someday, much more interesting than my dorm room food I am sure!
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

aweee thanks wishin! i loooove cooking. its so much fun for me! food is so fun to play around with and make extra yummy.

Quote foxytina_69
    aweee thanks wishin! i loooove cooking. its so much fun for me! food is so fun to play around with and make extra yummy.
    you certainly seem to love it and i bet its all yummy - i wish i could cook. i attempt sometimes - but my family has never been big into cooking. most nights we go out to eat, okay pretty much every night, literally. hence ive never learned because well no one in my family cooks. ive grown up with the idea that thats what take out and restaurants are for. ill have to work on that.
    "An outside enemy exists only if there is anger inside."
    - Lama Zopa Rinpoche

Tina,

You must have read my mind because I made the tofu bacon AGAIN this week! This time I put it in the Penne Alla Vodka from randomgirl.com . Only I change the recipe a bit and add onions. (I too have used many of your recipes. I should probably contribute more myself but I'm too busy eating. )
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

oh my that sounds delicious. id love to try some of your recipes!!

oh and now i actually double the sauce. i use 2 tbs of liquid smoke, 4 tbs of tamari, 2 tbs of maple syrup, a little water, and some onion powder and garlic (from cc's idea!) and pour it all over the tofu. its so yummy.

On the Coast

does anyone know if i can substitute the maple syrup in this recipe for something else? i dont have any!

ConsciousCuisine

Any sweetener will do If it's dry, add water until it becomese liquid.

thanks cc

I trust this is the same recipe as this one:

http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=7675.0

which I came across the other day on vegweb.

I'd been buying redwoods rashers prior to this but fancied having a crack at being able to make something passable from storecupboard ingredients and was very impressed on first try.

The method I've ended up with which I find quick and easy is to buy smoked firm tofu, slice it very very thinly and fry it in a little sunflower oil on medium to high heat until its gone crispy (about 10 mins in total) then dip them in a mix of shoyu/maple syrup/nutritional yeast flakes (which I keep in the fridge) for a few seconds and return to the pan (now off the heat) for a few seconds and then take them out of the pan and then brush a tiny bit more of the marinade onto them before using.

Easily better than the shop bought stuff imo.

PainterLady

Default Re: homemade vegan 'bacon'

Vegan bacon is amazing and shows flesh eaters that what they like about bacon is the hickory smoke, not the pig. The only reason pig bacon is good is because it has hickory smoke. I have heard that pig is not even edible without it or salt(for ham). So when people say, "I like the taste of meat". They really mean, "I like the taste of hickory smoke and the vehicle I am choosing to get that taste is a dead animal carcass."

Default Re: homemade vegan 'bacon'

Just a followup - I've found that using a swiss style peeler (moving side to side as its drawn down the smoked tofu block) to get really wafer thin slices of tofu and brushing them with oil on both sides and baking them at 220 celsius for 10 minutes or so and then brushing them with the shoyu/maple syrup/nutritional yeast flake mix at the end is producing more predictable crisp results without the acrid smoke that frying can produce.