Thread: Would you be interested in this . . .

Question Would you be interested in this . . .

Okay so I need some opinions. I love baking, and often make vegan cupcakes, cakes, biscuits etc. Everyone who has eaten them loves them (if I do say so myself! ha!) omnis included. My mother owns a omni cafe, and after seeing the cupcakes that I have baked today she suggested that I start selling them through her cafe.

I thought about maybe selling them to be eaten in the cafe and also for people to place orders for parties etc. I could also make gluten free cupcakes etc so I think I could potentially hit a market that is not often catered for.

I would like your opinon, as a vegan would you buy vegan cakes for parties, etc or would you just make your own? Do you think omni's would be put off by a vegan label?

And to anyone with this kind of experience any words of wisdom would be gratefully recieved!!

Default Re: Would you be interested in this . . .

i think the world cannot have too many cakes and cupcakes.

that is my official stance.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I agree whole heartedly! But would you buy them or make them yourself . . . that is the question!

Well, the people I know who have tried selling vegan cakes all seem to get orders for parties, so obviously there are vegans out there (or people with vegan friends?) who don't feel like making their own. Also, if you sell vegan cakes through a cafe, there's a chance that people will eat those instead of ones made with egg.

If they look amazing, people don't care what they're made of. If you're worried about omnis reacting strongly to a vegan label, call them veggie cupcakes or eco-friendly cupcakes or something.

It's a fab idea! Go for it.

be really careful if you go the gluten free route - one small mistake and you could get sued
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

RubyDuby

what would it hurt to try?

if it doesnt take right off try free (itty bitty ) samples.

i'm sure you'll be successful.
    word of mouth is a beautiful thing.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

Yes, I would definitely buy them for a party if the price was right as I am useless at cake-making.

I don't know if non-vegans would be put off by a vegan label: some might but if they could see - and as has been suggested sample - them first then I imagine most people would get over it!

Quote **Ames** View Post
    I agree whole heartedly! But would you buy them or make them yourself . . . that is the question!
    i do a little of both. im not much of a sweets eater... but i love to bake. and on occasion i do endulge in a store bought vegan cupcake. as i did yesterday here: http://saintcupcake.com/.

i agree, if it looks great, people will buy. if it tastes great too they will keep buying and tell their friends.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

I would also try it if I were you. look around you, at how many places can actually buy vegan cakes? at some cafés, yes, but there aren´t too many.
    my parents andd some of my friends also suggested that I should do something like that on one day, like a vegan catering service or so, cus everything I made for them they loved.

GO FOR IT!
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

Quote **Ames** View Post
    And to anyone with this kind of experience any words of wisdom would be gratefully recieved!!
    Test your market. Then test it again. The opinions of armchair pundits are useless. Of course people you know (or people on veganforum) will be supportive because they don't want to hurt your feelings ... but talk is cheap and the real test is whether people will fork out their hard earned cash.

So get your produce out there and see if it sells. Ask the people who buy it what they really think - and the people who sell it too. And make sure you listen real hard to what they say.

Until you do this, it's all so much talk and hot air (and wasted money).

I know nothing about the cake business, but business is business. I know the above advice is true - unfortunately I had to learn the hard way. I hope you're smarter. Best of luck.

Stu

Quote **Ames** View Post
    I thought about maybe selling them to be eaten in the cafe...
    I reckon you should do this, but don't label them as vegan at first. Then when they get popular and people get into the habit of buying them, add the 'vegan' label. Sorted.

How about: label them "'XY' Cupcake", with a little "V" seedling logo in the corner.

Vegans will recognise the symbol and ask, omnis will be none the wiser.

Stu

General advice: always listen to the voice of reason (Stu), and ignore the evil ramblings of Mancs like Bryzee.

I'm well gonna do you in when i see you next week.

Stu

Someone's gonna have a black eye on his wedding photos...

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    How about: label them "'XY' Cupcake", with a little "V" seedling logo in the corner.

Vegans will recognise the symbol and ask, omnis will be none the wiser.
    I don't think you can use that logo unless you've paid the Vegan Society to be accredited.

If you don't want to put the word vegan on there, you could say egg/dairy free.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

sounds like a good idea to me! hope it goes well
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote **Ames** View Post
    I do both- I make cakes for all of my friend's birthdays, and often bake things to take to work because I love baking but dont want to eat them.
    I also buy cakes that are vegan at every oppurtunity.
    I just love cake.

So to sum up- go for it!
    You dont have to make a big thing about them being vegan- a small card saying what the cake is (lemon, chocolate etc) and in the corner write vegan?

Quote twinkle View Post
    I don't think you can use that logo unless you've paid the Vegan Society to be accredited.

If you don't want to put the word vegan on there, you could say egg/dairy free.
    Not true. You can use the "V" without the sunflower and whatnot.

VeganLiz

I have started making my own cupcakes but do also buy them (as I did on the weekend) as usually other peoples are better/look lovely so I want to try them. I would also buy a larger cake for a party but the price would have to be realistic not silly. I would also need to know the cake would arrive in a good condition if delivered!

Liz x