Thread: Amaranth - any tried and tested recipes?

Default Amaranth - any tried and tested recipes?

Well, I have a bag of amaranth in my cupboard and don't really know what to do with it. I found loads of recipes on the Net (such as this savoury one and this sweet breakfast recipe), but was wondering if anyone has any recipes they've tried, tested and really like?

I know it's not a very common grain, and that many people have a lot of trouble getting hold of it, so here's some info about it from Wikipedia...

Grain amaranth

Because of its importance as a symbol of indigenous culture, and because it is very palatable, easy to cook, and its protein particularly well suited to human nutritional needs, interest in grain amaranth (especially A. cruentus and A. hypochondriacus) was revived in the 1970s. It was recovered in Mexico from wild varieties and is now commercially cultivated. It is a popular snack sold in Mexico City and other parts of Mexico, sometimes mixed with chocolate or puffed rice, and its use has spread to Europe and other parts of North America. Amaranth and quinoa are called pseudograins because of their flavor and cooking similarities to grains. These are dicot plant seeds, and both contain exceptionally complete protein for plant sources. Besides protein, amaranth grain provides a good source of dietary fiber and dietary minerals such as iron, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, and especially manganese.

Default Re: Amaranth - any tried and tested recipes?

Yesterday I cooked up some millet and quinoa, and mixed it into fried onions, garlic, runner beans, mock chicken (tinned gluten), smoked tofu, mushrooms, chicken seasoning, soy sauce. Served that with warm crusty bread, and salad.

I'm not exactly sure how amaranth is, but it probably substitutes for couscous quite well.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

brookeller

I have only ever had one experience with amaranth. I was making these pancakes that call for it but I never ended up using them. Me and a friend bought some amaranth we found at the bulk food section of the grocery store we frequent. But it wasn't popped, I don't know if you can buy it pre-popped. Well the recipe told us to pop it in a regular popcorn machine. That failed miserably. Half of them popped and the other half didn't. But it's so small we couldn't pick through the whole thing. It sounds like if you could buy the pre-popped stuff it would be way better. Do you know if that is available?

you sent me some ages ago fiamma - i seem to remember i made a porridge out of it.

i'm currently making porridge from quinoa flakes though.

You can sprout amaranth too, but I haven't had much luck with that!

I made a bowl of (cooked) amaranth a while ago, but it's something (IMO) that should be used in small amounts with other things as it has a very simple taste... i.e. a few spoons mixed of it mixed through grilled veggies and olive oil, or mixed with steamed veggies with some kind of dressing.

Years ago I used to buy an amaranth cookie from the health food shop.

Didn't read the rest, but amaranth makes a delicious hot cereal and can be counted on for a timely exit
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

pavotrouge

I've made bad experiences with cooked amaranth as a side dish, but it's ace in baking... I like to add to bread or muffins!