Thread: Scotland trip-Fife

Default Scotland trip-Fife

I am visiting Scotland for 5 nights from 31st Aug. to 5th Sept. Never been to Scotland before and staying on the east coast not too far from St Andrews and staying in a b&b. Information on vegan friendly food would be nice.

I am traveling up from the midlands by car on a Sunday and also interested in any possible places that might be not too far off my route that are Vegan friendly and open on a Sunday.

I am doing a bit of landscape type photography up there so hoping the reported floods have cleared up a bit.

Default Re: Scotland trip-Fife

Well, Edinburgh is about an hour or so from St Andrews and you'll be passing through if you're driving up so if you want to stop off for food there's a good few places to eat!
    Ann Purna in St Patricks Square,they're South Indian and the food is delicious.
    Suzies diner over from 'The Pear Tree' pub in West Nicholson Street is great for eating in comfy surroundings anytime of the day and just round the corner from that is a Sudanese place called Nile Valley that does some real nice vegan options .Their Fuul masala is Mmmmmm!Down the road from that on Causwayside there is a Jamacian place opened up last year and they cater well for vegans.In Tollcross there are 2 new African places opened up,both of whom do nice vegan options but i havn't eaten in them yet!.Down on St Mary street is David Banns which is a pretty famous Vegetarian restaurant with vegan options and Hendersons is a well established vegetarian eaterie on Hanover street!

Not sure if you're familiar with the journey but the sat nav will tell you to go up the M6/M74 to Glasgow then the M8 east.
    You're best bet is actually cut off the M74 at Junction 13 at Abington and head up the A702, a far nicer road for scenery and quicker as well!

If you are heading up the A1/M1 then ignore all that!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Thanks for the info I will look into your alternative route as I have never been to Scotland. I have not got a Sat nav but normally look on google maps.

I definitely would like to stop off in Edinburgh on the way as I had heard it was pretty good for vegans.

Glasgow is also good for vegans and not too far from where you'll be. We have Stereo, Mono, and The 78 which are all exclusively vegan, as well as grassroots, 13th note, and tchai ovna which are veggie-vegan, and the Left Bank, One A The Square (Glasgow University) and the Bay Tree which are omni and vegan. I know of nowhere in fife, unfortunately, and despite one of my flatmates being from there she's about as far from vegan as you can get so doesn't know of anywhere. I took a look on Happy Cow and as far as I can see there's nothing in fife at all unfortunately

Thanks for the info Declan. I might try and take Glasgow & Edinburgh in on my trip. What is the parking like in Glasgow? Not sure what to do yet as considering my options. I am busy in Fife for Tue/Wed/Thur and free all day monday so thought maybe call in Glasgow on my trip down on Sunday and get the bus to Edinburgh on monday.

If anybody fancies meeting up for a bite to eat while I am in Scotland let me know

Parking can be quite nightmarish in Glasgow, I'm not gonna lie, and we also have a one-way driving system for no reason I can fathom that has seen many a hapless tourist such as yourself going the wrong way down a one way street. But it's worth it to get to these restaurants, trust me I would love to meet up for a bite but actually won't be in Glasgow from the 30th till the 6th, oddly enough (cheapest flights were on those dates). Incidenally, I don't suppose you know how Warsaw is for vegans?