Thread: Amenorrhoea

Default Amenorrhoea

Hi there, I'm an 8th grader, 13 years old, and vegan. Athletic-ish.

I started having my first period in April 28 (7th grade), and it was alright for that week. In fact, it was absolutely painless, and I had my period for the whole day in school, but I didn't know till I got home and went to the restroom!

And so, my period has been gone for like, 4 months now, and I'm getting kind of worried. When I had my period, I was in track and field, and I'm still very athletic, and want to join cross country this year again.

It's either it's "unstable" or something, but what might help bring my period back? Which is odd, because most girls won't want it back (lol o_o) but I think it might become an issue if it continues on.

So... ideas?

I try to eat a lot of iron, too. Well, iron's in rice, in my cereal (100% DV, I think) and.. in other foods too.

Default Re: Amenorrhoea

Sometimes periods can be un predictable when you first start and can take a while to settle into a pattern - if they ever do! It's different for every woman. As long as you are eating a healthy balance diet, then there's no reason why you shouldn't carry on with healthy exercise as well.

yup, what she said.

as long as you are at a healthy weight for your body type, reasonably active, eating well... let all that stuff sort it out when it will. i wouldnt worry about it... for a while at least.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Are you eating enough calories? Because being underweight can cause amenorrhea.

But I agree with the others that it's normal for periods to be a bit irregular when they first start.

Quote harpy View Post
    Are you eating enough calories? Because being underweight can cause amenorrhea.

But I agree with the others that it's normal for periods to be a bit irregular when they first start.
    Hmm, I weigh about 107 pounds, maybe a little more now. I'm about 5 ft, around 5"1 - 5"3 , and a lot of my weight comes from my muscles.

But besides that, I should be eating enough, I eat a lot.. I can't imagine a day without good ol' food. (But I don't go overboard, either)

Sounds like you are healthy, and have a good attitude about food, so I wouldn't worry. Keep active and happy and your period will find it's own rhythm.

i wouldn't worry about it too much. your first period is sooo irregular and crazy and unpredictable. actually a lot of girls will have it once and then not have it again for several months. but on the flip side make sure you tell an older woman that you trust that way you guys can monitor it and she can take you to the doctor if anything feels "off". don't worry, eventually it will stabalize a little.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote missbettie View Post
    i wouldn't worry about it too much. your first period is sooo irregular and crazy and unpredictable. actually a lot of girls will have it once and then not have it again for several months. but on the flip side make sure you tell an older woman that you trust that way you guys can monitor it and she can take you to the doctor if anything feels "off". don't worry, eventually it will stabalize a little.
    That's really good advice! Is there anyone in your off-line real world world, a family member, counsellor or teacher or anyone older you know has your best interests at heart, who you can talk to about it?
    I know when I was your age a girl friend of mine my own age talked to me about a major personal problem... and to my shame I I did not give her the right advice, I didn't have enough experience at the time to advise her.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

The first 6 years of my period was irregular. It's just your first year, I wouldn't worry about it. If it continues for a few more years, then see your doctor. Until then he/she will just tell you wait it out.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

As long as it isn't due to pregnancy or an unacknowledged eating disorder (these would need attention asap) it is unlikely to be anything to worry about.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Had a similar experience to you, I had one day of bleeding when I was 11 years old, but didn't start my periods until I was 14.
    Being on the pill can cause it too, I haven't had one since being on Cerazette, and i'm still a healthy weight.

Did it come back, Silverleaf?

Mine were really irregular when I first started too. It took a few years before they started happening when I expected them to.

For me it was fairly regular for about three months, then a month was skipped, then there was only two weeks gap between! Now it's fairly regular though.

The first period women have are biologically different to all subsequent periods so it's usual for there to be an irregular gap between the first and second period. Don't stress too much but keep an eye on it.

I didn't know that. How are they different, Squigaletta? Just cos it's the first one?

Well I went to the doctor and they said yeah that it's normal at the beginning to be irregular but to keep an eye if it continues. Usually it takes awhile to get stable, I guess because the body isn't used to the process of menstruation yet and isn't on a schedule.

typically (though not always) ovulation doesn't start until after the first period. The first period is different because it is only womb lining and doesn't contain an egg. like for the same reason things (hormones, weight etc) that cause the first period are not the same as those which cause subsequent regular periods. Thats all I can remember but I saw a really interesting programme about it, amazing that it is such an iconic moment but people don't really know the mechanisms behind it. I will try and find a reference for you.

Thanks I always thought it was the hormones from the first ovulation that triggered the first period. Biology's fascinating, isn't it?

Oh, the joys of periods. I've been having my period since I was 13 (7 years) and I still have months where I go periodless, and they never come on the same day. Everything's fine with me, I'm all checked out and good so I guess it's just the way things are.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Man..periods.

I got my period at 11 (on my cat's birthday actually lol) and ever since then I had HORRIBLE cramps. I'm talking about the puking/turning purple/almost fainting kind. I took them for years and I took all types of homeopathic medicines, extra special crap from the doctor, I even had acupuncture!(it did help a bit though) but what REALLY did it...finally, after so many years, THE PILL! oh the pill. Magical being.

I'm taking YAZ right now and it's amazing. I also suffered from extreme PMS almost PMDD and I thought I was seriously going to commit suicide one month so I had to take extreme measures and really start taking the pill. It's been wonderful ever since
    "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try Again. Fail again. Fail better."
    - Samuel Beckett

Quote Guate_Vegan View Post
    Man..periods.

I got my period at 11 (on my cat's birthday actually lol) and ever since then I had HORRIBLE cramps. I'm talking about the puking/turning purple/almost fainting kind. I took them for years and I took all types of homeopathic medicines, extra special crap from the doctor, I even had acupuncture!(it did help a bit though) but what REALLY did it...finally, after so many years, THE PILL! oh the pill. Magical being.

I'm taking YAZ right now and it's amazing. I also suffered from extreme PMS almost PMDD and I thought I was seriously going to commit suicide one month so I had to take extreme measures and really start taking the pill. It's been wonderful ever since
    Oh, is that what's called cramps? I guess I got them after all... but what really helped me was the Mini Wheats. Unfortunately, Frosted Mini Wheats aren't vegan (not even veggie!) and unfrosted Mini Wheats aren't widely available. I'm pretty sure it's the iron in it, because it has a high iron content in it.