Thread: What are food cravings?

sugarmouse

Default What are food cravings?

This may sound like a silly question but it is confusing me. I think evrybody has moments where they 'fancy' someparticular food stuff. But that isnt what a craving is supposedly? A craving does it mean you are addicted to a certain type of food substance like carbs or sugar? Or is there an in-between type that means you get cravings for a certain food for soem reason?

Its come to my attention because I have had a lot of food cravings recently.
    I alwyas beleived your body does crave things it needs and I seem to crave starchy carbs more now, since I have become more active recently.

What are cravings as a feeling, to anyone else?What do they feel like?
    Sorry for vagueness or if anyones sat at their pc thinking 'WTF she on about?!?!'

seitan

Default Re: What are food cravings?

for me, its just "man, i could really do with some chocolate right now" when, theres none around, and wont be for a while, if that makes sense?
    i could, ofcourse being using the wrod completly wrong

I think cravings are psychological. But hunger is regulated by hormones like leptin and ghrelin. They're secreted to help maintain body weight. I personally believe all of our hormones influence our primitive desire for intuitive eating. [Our hormones come from the hypothalamus in our brain, btw] I think we have genuine hunger for certain foods when we are lacking in some nutrient. I know I eat certain foods when I'm anemic, or when I've got a cold.

If you've been more active its totally possible that you need more carbohydrates. The brain uses glucose in order to function. The muscles use glucose as well. That's why people on low-carb diets have such problems with fatigue and memory problems! Also, if you're restricting your diet, you're probably having cravings for simple carbohydrates because your body needs energy (and calories). Your body uses carbohydrates the fastest of all macronutrients so restricted diets often cause carbohydrate cravings for immediate energy.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

sugarmouse

Thankies for the reply
    Well yes, its really strange though to me that sometimes people say they actually crave something random for no supposed reason and what the difference is between cravings, and simply 'fancying' a certain food.
    I gave in to my starchy carb craving today and have felt a lot better for it, normally I would hav tried to satisfy it will a small amount of crispbread or something when really i wanted bread or potatoes!
    To do that though some say, you are in danger of eating whatever you substitute then thinking 'ah sod it' and eating what you really wanted in the first place, aswell!!