Thread: Fanta and lilt in vegetarian/vegan restaurants

Default Fanta and lilt in vegetarian/vegan restaurants

Is it just me, or has anyone noticed the sheer amount of vegetarian and vegan restaurants that have these two drinks on the menu? I guess most people don't realise that these products contain fish, but when you try and tell the member of staff, they look at you like you're mad, since it's not actually on the label. I've started not to mention it to restaurant staff as they dont believe me anyway, but it still really bothers me when I see it in vegetarian/vegan restaurants.... should I be bothered?

Default Re: Fanta and lilt in vegetarian/vegan restaurants

ooh err didnt realise - a link would be much appreciated - to the info that is
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

See:
    http://www.coca-cola.co.uk/faq/
    (See number 13)

Can you tell me which of your products are suitable for vegetarians?
    None of the products of Coca-Cola Great Britain contain ingredients derived from mammals. As some practicing vegetarians avoid fish products as well, it is important to note that some of our products contain minute traces of fish gelatine, which is used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour. These products are:
    • 'Fanta' Orange and 'Fanta' Zero Orange
    • 'Lilt ' and 'Lilt' Zero
    • 'Five Alive' Squash Citrus Burst
    • 'Five Alive' Squash Tropical Hit
    • 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash no added sugar
    • 'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash no added sugar
    • 'Minute Maid' Orange & Passionfruit
    • 'Schweppes' Slimline Orange Crush

Oh my god. They should really make it more obvious. I can't believe that.
    vegan and proud.

I'm surprised you guys didn't know, I thought this was common knowledge!

does that mean I am not common then

Certainly wasn't common to me! I've been blissfully unaware, drinking Fanta here there and everywhere (okay, admittedly not for 2+ years but I was still veggie then!) and I had no clue....
    vegan and proud.

Quote hiddenfromview View Post
    I'm surprised you guys didn't know, I thought this was common knowledge!
    so thoguht I! in germany none of their schweppes is vegan and even sprite as they use fish gelatine during the production process. a friend of mine once told me that when he was at a burger king, he saw the sprite marked with a "7". that branch published a on a list for what their numbes stand for. the "7" was for fish! in meantime they removed the 7.
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

I've never come across this in a veggie cafe, but I did notice in Brighton that the George (vegetarian pub - otherwise brilliant, we went there every day and I'm not slating it at all!) had Guiness on tap. So maybe liquid refreshment is something people don't automatically think about unless it is actual milk or cow blood or that cocktail with live goldfish in. There was a bit of fuss a few years back about the late lamented V1 in Nottingham selling Tango, but apparently the non-veg stuff is only in the orange flavour which they didn't sell.
    I kissed a duck - and I liked it

Quote Lisey_duck View Post
    So maybe liquid refreshment is something people don't automatically think about unless it is actual milk or cow blood or that cocktail with live goldfish in.
    Or perhaps they just want to pretend it doesn't exist so they can enjoy their favourite drink?

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8945

Yeah, that too. But I was thinking more along the lines of how the manager of a vegetarian cafe might slip up and stock something like that, and ignorance due to lack of information might be one reason.

Oh my, is Tango also non Vegan? I'm sure it is, according to Britvic only the following would be non-vegan:

Are any of your products not suitable for Vegan / Vegetarian diets?

In accordance with the Vegan Society guidelines, the following products are not suitable for a vegan / vegetarian diet:
    • Robinsons High Juice Blood Orange
    • Robinsons For Milk No Added Sugar Strawberry & Raspberry

We do not test any of our products on animals and we do not manage, sponsor or involve ourselves in any way with animal testing.

The restaurants I've seen Fanta in include: The Vegetarian Food Studio (Cardiff), Tai (Vegan buffet with branches in Golders Green, Camden, Tottenham Court road, Soho), Chawalla (Upton Park East London).

seitan

i thougth this was gonna be about how veg*n places sell coca cola stuff, which sucks in so many ways.
    the coca cola company should always be botcotted!

JC

See:
    (See number 13)

Can you tell me which of your products are suitable for vegetarians?

None of the products of Coca-Cola Great Britain contain ingredients derived from mammals. As some practicing vegetarians avoid fish products as well, it is important to note that some of our products contain minute traces of fish gelatine, which is used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour. These products are:
    • 'Fanta' Orange and 'Fanta' Zero Orange
    • 'Lilt ' and 'Lilt' Zero
    • 'Five Alive' Squash Citrus Burst
    • 'Five Alive' Squash Tropical Hit
    • 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash no added sugar
    • 'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange & Pineapple Squash no added sugar
    • 'Minute Maid' Orange & Passionfruit
    • 'Schweppes' Slimline Orange Crush
    Does this mean that coke, dr. pepper and sprite are vegan?

Seitan - I try to boycott coca-cola anyway, for a whole host of reasons. One being that in India they used a local village's only source of water for their factory, and another being that they used to advertise on Nazi youth books!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxtkzyBekxs

JC - should be, this info is definately up to date, if you call them they will say what I said and you can even get them to send it to you in written form. Useful if you want proof when entering veg*n restaurants..

i started a thread on this forum about this very subject:

http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=767

i haven't personally noticed Fanta and Lilt in any veggie restaurants in Brighton, but then i wouldn't be looking for them on the menu anyway. i find many veggie/vegan places have more ethical soft drinks anyway e.g. Whole Earth.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

This is currently displayed in the coca-cola website;

None of the products of Coca-Cola Great Britain contain milk, egg or ingredients derived from mammals. As some practicing vegetarians avoid fish products as well, it is important to note that some of our products contain minute traces of fish gelatine, which is used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour. These products are: 'Lilt ' and 'Lilt' Zero ‘Relentless’ Inferno 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash and 'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash no added sugar 'Minute Maid' Orange & Passionfruit 'Schweppes' Deuce no added sugar Orange & Guava
    http://www.letsgettogether.co.uk/Det...4-color=df0f0b
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Love the wording - some vegetarians avoid fish!
    And, schiesse, Relentless? I had that once when it was new - don't remember beta-carotene being on the ingredients or the drink being especially orange!

This one has completely passed me by, I had no idea! And I have been veggie for 17 years! Luckily I don't drink any of those drinks!

There was a bit of fuss a few years back about the late lamented V1 in Nottingham selling Tango, but apparently the non-veg stuff is only in the orange flavour which they didn't sell.
    Hi Lisey, only yesterday I was looking through my copy of Animal Free Shopper and it states that the Tango orange soft drink is suitable for vegans.
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Thanks for the heads up - i didn't know this, although i don't really drink fizzy drinks and i boycott coca cola anyway.

good to know, though.

They must have changed it then - I never looked into it too deeply since it isn't something I buy. (or maybe the person who spread the information around in the first place was mistaken - can't remember who it was now!)

We were in Holland and Barretts today, buying glucosamine tablets. Toni asked if they did vegetarian ones (other ones are derived from shellfish), and she pointed them out to us, and then went on to say that cod liver oil was good in combination and pointed to some, saying these are vegetarian.

I pointed out that they couldn't be vegetarian as they contain fish! But she was adamant that they must be as it said vegetarian capsules on the box.

All the more ironic as she learnt we avoid fish (or at least shellfish) from the original query.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I hope you didn't leave it at that pob. I'd have given her a damn good correcting to!

They must have changed it then - I never looked into it too deeply since it isn't something I buy. (or maybe the person who spread the information around in the first place was mistaken - can't remember who it was now!)
    It was me Back in ye old May 2006

Quote Pob View Post
    We were in Holland and Barretts today, buying glucosamine tablets. Toni asked if they did vegetarian ones (other ones are derived from shellfish), and she pointed them out to us, and then went on to say that cod liver oil was good in combination and pointed to some, saying these are vegetarian.

I pointed out that they couldn't be vegetarian as they contain fish! But she was adamant that they must be as it said vegetarian capsules on the box.

All the more ironic as she learnt we avoid fish (or at least shellfish) from the original query.
    Dunno bout the H & B ones but here
    http://www.simplysupplements.net/veg...utm_medium=cpc
    is the best value i can find. As they are the larger 750 mg tablets you only need one or two a day and if you buy 180 you get 180 free so it's roughly half a years supply!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Risker - I wasn't on the forum then, guess someone in Nottingham got the same email as you though. (Vegan urban myths - kind of make the world go round, nu?)

Oh it wasn't an urban myth, they must have changed their production somehow, either that or they've given out some incorrect information.

Hehe, a good course for me, must pay more attention to what I drink / eat.... thank you

Animals don't: Smoke, Drive, Wear Make-up, Use paint, Drink Alcohol, Drop bombs. Because we do, why should they suffer?

Just got this -

Dear Consumer ,

Thank you for contacting the 'Coca-Cola' Consumer Information Centre, in reference to the ingredients in our products.

I can confirm that 'Fanta' no longer contains minute traces of fish gelatine, which was used as a stabiliser for the beta-carotene colour..

There are some 'Coca-Cola' products that still contain this, these products are:

'Lilt' pineapple & grapefruit & 'Lilt' pineapple & grapefruit Zero
    'Kia-Ora' Orange Squash and NAS
    'Minute Maid' Orange & Passion Fruit
    'Schweppes' Deuce NAS Orange & Guava
    'Relentless' Inferno

I hope this has allayed your concerns and would like to thank you for your interest in our Company and our brands.

If I can be of any assistance to you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me on our freephone number, 0800 - 227711, weekdays from 9am - 5pm.

Kind regards,

I still avoid Coca Cola. They used to test on animals. They maybe not now but....well whatever. Anyone else feel like they should still boycott them?? hehehe ☺
    Animals don't: Smoke, Drive, Wear Make-up, Use paint, Drink Alcohol, Drop bombs. Because we do, why should they suffer?

Quote Pob View Post

Argh! I work for h&b and that member of staff is so WRONG! it says the CAPSULE is vegetarian... making it suitable for pescaterians and Muslims (gelatine free)... what a stupid women

Risker - well that comes as a surprise, but if it is contained due to the beta carotene why cant they make the same change on all products?! anyway I wont be having it still, been put off for life with their dodgy ethics.

I still avoid Coca Cola. They used to test on animals. They maybe not now but....well whatever. Anyone else feel like they should still boycott them?? hehehe ☺
    For anyone whose as concerned for human rights as those of animals:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/jul/24/marketingandpr.colombia

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/jul/24/marketingandpr.colombia

Boycott Coca Cola.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003...andpr.colombia

http://www.nosweat.org.uk/node/606

Hopefully these links will work better, if not just look up Coca Cola's treatment of the trade union leaders of Columbian bottling plants.

WildWitch

See:
    (See number 13)

As some practicing vegetarians avoid fish products as well
    Only some practicing vegetarians WHAT! That really annoys me, anyone who eats the flesh of a dead fish or sea creature should not be allowed to call themselves vegetarian at all. I hate it when im told some veggies eat fish, not real veggies dont ffs.

By the way i had no idea about the fishy things in fanta etc, last thing id have ever thought about containing animal/fish products though i never drink it myself my children sometimes do, OR DID TILL NOW!!!!! thats just disgusting. Thank you for informing us about this.

Quote seitan View Post
    i thougth this was gonna be about how veg*n places sell coca cola stuff, which sucks in so many ways.
    the coca cola company should always be botcotted!
    So did I! But glad to see folks aren't getting to hot under the collar when a veg*n place inadvertantly stocks the crap. Afterall there are threads on here defending the vegan credentials of giant pub corporations that serve up dead animals in a thousand guises every minute of every massively profitable day.

Quote gogs67 View Post
    Dunno bout the H & B ones but here
    http://www.simplysupplements.net/veg...utm_medium=cpc
    is the best value i can find. As they are the larger 750 mg tablets you only need one or two a day and if you buy 180 you get 180 free so it's roughly half a years supply!
    A sight digression from the topic I know (some folks here get touchy about these things).. but I wouldn't bother with glucosamine supplements. There's no evidence they do anything except benefit the 'health food' industry to the tune of millions a year. Take a look at www.quackwatch.com

Noooooooooooooo faaantaaaaa!
    Guess I have to find a new favourite drink . How can they get away with not putting that stuff on the ingredients list?

Quote Nyphur View Post
    Noooooooooooooo faaantaaaaa!
    Guess I have to find a new favourite drink . How can they get away with not putting that stuff on the ingredients list?
    see riskers post below - and by the way where do you think you've been mister?

Quote vava View Post
    see riskers post below - and by the way where do you think you've been mister?
    Oh, yay
    And I've been very busy . I check the forum occasionally but there's not really much ever going on in it these days.

Quote Nyphur View Post
    Oh, yay
    And I've been very busy . I check the forum occasionally but there's not really much ever going on in it these days.
    thats cos you're not here....

Quote Nyphur View Post
    but there's not really much ever going on in it these days.

WHAT?

VF is always a hive of activity Nyphur.................I did miss YOU though so why don't you join in more and liven us all up a bit?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote sandra View Post
    WHAT?

VF is always a hive of activity Nyphur.................I did miss YOU though so why don't you join in more and liven us all up a bit?
    Okie dokie

Stu

I've never come across this in a veggie cafe, but I did notice in Brighton that the George (vegetarian pub - otherwise brilliant, we went there every day and I'm not slating it at all!) had Guiness on tap. So maybe liquid refreshment is something people don't automatically think about unless it is actual milk or cow blood or that cocktail with live goldfish in. There was a bit of fuss a few years back about the late lamented V1 in Nottingham selling Tango, but apparently the non-veg stuff is only in the orange flavour which they didn't sell.
    Yeah, Bob Trollop's (celebrated veggie pub in Newcastle) serves Stella Artois, Foster's etc.

There's a cocktail served with a live goldfish in it!? Tell me that isn't true. I fucking despair...

Stu

Quote Risker View Post
    This is currently displayed in the coca-cola website;

...some practicing vegetarians avoid fish products...
    Really? That's a bit extreme.