Thread: Eating order (not disorder)

exec

Default Eating order (not disorder)

I'm wondering if it matters between eating a watermelon first before taking a bowl of rice and the converse, I mean in one meal? Let's say, for your lunch, you have a bowl of rice, a banana, a piece of tofu, some seeds, and some vegetables, which is best to eat first and which last? Is there any thing like this, I mean the better order of taking a meal?

Default Re: Eating order (not disorder)

Saving your favourite for last is generally the best, but it can get complicated.

Sometimes I eat the things I averagely like first, then some of the stuff i like the least with the stuff i like the most, trying to finish on most. Sometimes I can't keep off the stuff i like the most. It all gets really complicated. I don't think there's a clear cut answer.

There is a theory called "food combining" according to which you shouldn't certain foods together at all. It doesn't have any scientific basis that I'm aware of but some people here feel it's improved their digestion. Apart from that I don't think there's any reason to eat in a particular order apart from personal preference.

Of course it differs a lot between cultures - we have some American friends who seemed a bit shocked the first time we produced a green salad after a main course because they thought we should have had it as the first course - but we got over it.

i always eat fruit at least an hour before a meal, never after, as it digests best on an empty stomach. i never eat fruit as a dessert.

any type of melon is best eaten alone an a mono-fruit.

thats all folks!

Surely it depends how quickly you're eating? I mean, in the course of a normal meal, say over 40 minutes or so, it would all end up in your stomach and start to be broken down together in one big soup. 40 mins wouldn't be enough for the first course to be broken down and emptied from the stomach before the second course got there - if you see what I mean.

So if you were leaving an hour or so between each foodstuff, maybe you'd want to eat the fruit first so it could be digested without getting caught up behind foods that are slower to digest - but I can't see it would make a whole heap of difference in the normal run of things.

I heard it is best to eat the light foods first and the heavier foods last: (fruit, veggies first; rice and potatoes last)
    reasoning being that the light foods will digest faster if eaten first. if it were eaten last and sat on the heavier foods it would ferment and cause dreadful gas!