Thread: Great stuff it took a long time to try...

Default Great stuff it took a long time to try...

Great foods that you can't believe it took you so long to get around to trying.
    For us it's been two biggies.
    First... Heirloom/Heritage Tomatoes. As the store bought ones get less and less flavorful, with less nutrients and more chemicals I got to thinking about the tomatoes we grew in our garden when I was a kid. Called my Mom and She says Brandywine, Rutgers, and Beefsteak. So we find a greenhouse that sells heirlooms and get the Brandywines. WOW!! The rest is history. Absolutely amazing difference. Wonderful, strong taste and smell. And, before the tomatoes are ready you can just lean into the plant and lightly brush the leaves and get that great tomatoey smell. Aaaahhhh, sweet anticipation. (Lately we've discovered Cherokee Purple and like them even better

Second discovery (and I really can't believe we hadn't tried this before), is Balsamic Vinegar. What a wonderful seasoning, and no fat or salt! Add to spaghetti sauce, Yum! and many other things.

So what else have you folks out there discovered that's really great that everyone should try ?

Take Care!
    Paul Q

Default Re: Great stuff it took a long time to try...

nutritional yeast.
    tofurky, the little feast.
    TINGS!!!!!!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Blueberries! They looked like they would taste sour and hard... yuck

I avoided them for ages (like, 31 years ) and finally bought some to take in my bento box for lunch at a training course.

They are delicious! I now eat them most days and can't quite believe I ever thought they wouldn't taste good.

Smile Re: Great stuff it took a long time to try...

It took me a long time to brave falafel & hummus (now my favourite foods). It took me even longer to try tofu, we have a very on/off relationship

Seaweed and dried nori, good for stocks but do not eat alone
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

Engevita. Stupidly smelled it first time before trying it. Took a long time of my oh saying "it's great, it's great" before I finally plucked up the courage. Could eat it by the handful now given half a chance!

oh the ginger at sushi restaurants.

^ Agreed.

But as to the previous one about nori, I could eat it straight from the package.
    It took me a long time to try vegan yogurt.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

I forgot a biggie... Hot peppers! I think I was around 44 when, one day, I was eating one of those nasty Totino's frozen pizzas (obviously pre-Vegan) while a had a particularly bad migraine. Had the urge to put Sriracha sauce on it...put lots on it. By the time I was done sweating and having chills from the heat, the migraine was gone! So, I said to myself "if this is out there, just think of all the other stuff that's out there" (paraphrase from Steve Martin in The Jerk
    After that discovered plain, unpickled, unadulterated, HOT Peppers. We've had as many as 16 varieties at a time growing in the garden. Faves are Serrano (my#1), Red Savina Habanero, Orange Carribean type Hab, Pequin, Manzano, New Mex varieties.

Another antry would have to be Olives of types other than your standard Spanish with a pimiento or Black. We love all sorts. Yum! Lots of flavor concentrated in a small package. Chop em up and fry em with garlic, onions etc. with pasta... ooooohhhhh, goood

Paul Q

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    ^ Agreed.

But as to the previous one about nori, I could eat it straight from the package.
    It took me a long time to try vegan yogurt.
    it always reminded me of raw meat so i was scared of it...heh..

i've only just got into Luna bars because they're very expensive in the UK... but they're SO good. mmmmmmmmm

sugarmouse

Kinda off topic kinda not, I like those 'very lazy' chillis! I know theyre vegan but are the ethics behind the product ok?
    I like them lots..only just got to try them though!

It took a long time after going vegan (like a year) before I tried fake dairy substitutes, like vegan cream cheese and soy yogurt.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

^ Vegan cream cheese I tried IMMEDIATELY because I am in love with cream cheese. Thank god for Tofutti.

I'm in love with it too! But I read from another vegan to take time before trying vegan subs. because it will give your time for your tastebuds to "forget" about what real dairy products tasted like.

It took me a long time to try Bragg's. I don't like it.

Still haven't tried tahini, couscous, buckwheat pancakes, anything with nuts in it (I hate nuts unless eaten all by themselves), cheezly, dahl, almond milk...

I'm scared, lol.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I'm in love with it too! But I read from another vegan to take time before trying vegan subs. because it will give your time for your tastebuds to "forget" about what real dairy products tasted like.
    That makes sense. Early on in my veganism I tried a premade vegan pizza with fake cheese and I almost barfed.

Tahini is really good. Have you had hummus or falafel before? It's in that. Unless you really love tahini, I don't recommend using it as a peanut butter substitute. It's much stronger. I like eating it mixed in with lemon juice and salt and eating it with pita bread.

Couscous isn't that exciting, kinda bland. You're not missing much.

I am in love with hummus-so I'll like tahini then?

The BF just cooked me couscous tonight for dinner! WHEEE!
    It was good. It came from a box-some sort of garlic and olive oil dressing seasoning thing.

It also took me a long time to try vegan yogurt. I only tried it... last month, after being vegan for a year and 8 months.

It's aiight. Some flavors were better than others.
    "cake is a good tool for the revolution!!!" - saycheezly

RubyDuby

the first time i tried hummus i threw away the rest of the container. i know i know. crazy. but back then i was a very sheltered vegetarian. love it now. took a long time to try wheat gluten "seitan". yum.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

I love "ethnic" foods like Middle Eastern, Japanese, Indian, Thai, Morroccan, etc. but I havent eaten a lot of "American" foods or processed vegan stuff. I haven't tried the vegan versions of the following:
    cream cheese
    sour cream
    butter/ spread
    whipped cream
    brownies
    cakes
    other baked goods
    seitan
    tempeh (too many bad stories!)
    fake meats (w/ exception of one type)
    dressings

I finally tried nutritional yeast a few months ago and liked it. And I tried some soy icecream (purely decadent almond fudge), that was really good, too!

I've always been a picky eater!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

It took me a long time to try....

Chocolate rice milk! (Mmmmmmm yummy).

Maple tea. (I love anything maple, so I don't know why I waited so long to try this).

Roasted asparagus. (Another yummy one)

Ahhhh, forgot. Still haven't had nutritional yeast. And I would never have had vegan pastries and cupcakes had my friend Lainey not made me FABULOUS vegan cupcakes.

ellaminnowpea, I made some vegan brownies for some (American) omnis - no, die hard carnivores - and they loved them (I never mentioned they were vegan).

I was scared of tempeh too, and didn't like it the first time I tried it. But marinated in soy sauce, garlic, ginger and lemon juice then fried or grilled, it is awesome.

I was terrified of soy milk before I tried it, didn't know what to expect at all; some kind of really slimy consistency and a horrible taste I suppose. But I love it now.

I have never been a picky eater, and always enjoyed most ethnic cuisine. However, I wasn't really exposed to a varied diet, as my parents were pretty much meat and potatoes type people. However, when I became vegetarian, it took me a long time to try tofu, and it took me even longer to actually start experimenting with it in recipes. Since becoming vegan though, I have not been hesitant to try anything (vegan). My boyfriend was a big influence in this, as he had been vegan for 7 years before I was, and I trusted that what he was eating was probably not too bad, as I am less picky than he is.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    I am in love with hummus-so I'll like tahini then?
    The tahini flavour in hummous is quite weak imho so liking hummous isn't really an indicator that you'll like tahini. I love hummous but I couldn't find anything to do with tahini that I liked.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Mahk

I'll second (or third) that! Shortly after turning vegan I tried toffuti brand "i can't believe this isn't cream cheese but rather a mixture of artificial fats and tofu" and just hated it. Then a year or more later I stumble upon a coffee shop that offered vegan bagels with cream cheese. I get one and I was blown over by how close it came to the real thing. Inspired I wrote the company to find out what brand it was or if they made it up themselves. The reply? It was the Toffuti stuff!

I still haven't had the courage to buy Marmite but I pick it up and look at it. One of the rare sources of B12 ya know. Anyone eat it?

a lot of vegans eat other brands of yeast extract because Marmite is owned by Unilever (except in Australia apparently) who conduct animal testing

i like yeast extract

BlackCats

Tahini is really good. Have you had hummus or falafel before? It's in that. Unless you really love tahini, I don't recommend using it as a peanut butter substitute. It's much stronger.
    (I bought a jar of tahini when I first turned vegan and I put a big spoonful in my mouth thinking it was going to taste like PB. It really didn't! I have tasted lots of new things since being vegan which I really haven't liked at all actually.)

Great stuff: I hardly ate red lentils before I was vegan and now I love lentil soup. Marinated artichokes, nakd bars, dark chocolate and some fake meats I now love also.

I have to try nutritional yeast and luna bars!

Mahk

Quote Gorilla View Post
    a lot of vegans eat other brands of yeast extract because Marmite is owned by Unilever (except in Australia apparently) who conduct animal testing

i like yeast extract
    I've never seen any other brand here. Marmite is sold here in the little, tiny, 3 shelf or so "English food" section of my super market along with some marmalade and chocolate bars that aren't normally distributed here. What brand do you like? Do you spread it on toast or how do you eat it?

Yeah you can't get other brands here, either. It's like $4 for a tiny jar. There's also Vegemite, is that any better?

i think Vegemite's made by Kraft who are a bit dodgy ethics-wise (not sure if they fund animal testing?) and they make it in the same vats as meat extract, if i recall correctly. it's been mentioned on the forum in the past.

i like a brand called Meridian which probably isn't sold outside the UK. i spread it on toast (thinly - about as thin as you would margarine, otherwise it's way too strong!) either or on its own or with mashed avocado. i also add it to sauces, stocks etc. it's very good in chilli, adds a nice savoury taste.

it's up to you if you choose to buy Marmite, but i thought i'd point out the parent company's ethics so you can make an informed choice.

I am glad I don't like yeast extracts - sounds too complicated lol

Hmmm....Stuff that I took ages to try:
    Vegan Cream Cheese and Cheese - and I hate it
    Fritz Gelato Sorbets and Waffle Cones - now I can't get enough
    Bonsoy Soy Milk - The best I have ever had
    Oreos dunked in Soy Milk! I have always been anti dunking but my husband convinced me to dunk once and then I became hooked! I can't believe I spent the first 25 years of my life with a non-dunking attitude lol
    Almond Milk - I have a box waiting for me to try it in the cupboard....

BlackCats

Oooh strawberry soya milk as well, yum. I had always had the chocolate one but I much prefer strawberry now. (I just had a craving for it so I tried to mix Swedish Glace strawberry ice cream with soya milk in my smoothie maker but it didn't work very well.)

I tried vegemite when I lived in Australia but just couldnt get used to it!! I doubt I'll ever have the desire to eat that again lol.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Dried fruits (except for raisins).

Before going vegan, I rarely ate them. As a kid with constipation I have bad memories of my mom trying to get me to eat prunes. But I decided to give them ago when I went vegan and now I like them. I don't eat them all too often but I do enjoy them.