Thread: New Alcohol Allergy

Default New Alcohol Allergy

Hi Everyone, I've been totally vegan for three months now. Before that, I was veggie, ate fish, eggs, yogurt etc.

It seems that since becoming totally vegan, I am unable to tolerate wine and beer. Does anyone else have this problem or know anything about it. It's totally new, I used to tolerate it fine, but now I get short of breath, my bronchioles restrict, and my heart races.

Any ideas??

Default Re: New Alcohol Allergy

I noticed this too, but was soon back on full form

It's never caused me breathing problems. I can't drink as much as I used to - a couple of glasses of wine is about my limit before falling over and going to sleep now - but I put that down to the passage of time.

Actually since going vegan when I drink wine my throat tends to swell and I am choked up and very hungover the next morning. Never used to happen. I used to enjoy drinking wine but I'm giving it up since my body has decided it doesn't like it,

Interesting - could be a reaction to ?histamines, but I don't see why being vegan should affect that

Just as well wine isn't really an essential food group, even if it seems like one.

What's this 'Since becoming vegan' stuff about? Do you really think that not eating animal products can make you allergic to things?!
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Yes, actually, with fewer triglycerides in my blood, I thought maybe the by-product of alcohol metabolism--acetylaldehyde--may not have a mechanism for transport, thereby be free-floating. Such free-floating "poison", if you will, could be causing an idiosyncratic reaction such as shortness of breath and bronchoconstriction. Or it may not be.

In fact, alcohol digestion, being somewhat of an oxymoron, can indeed be affected by changes in blood constitution.

So to answer your question, yes, "going totally vegan" can indeed precipitate a situation that may resemble an "allergic reaction".

As I am not an expert on biochemistry nor the nuances of metabolism, my question was aimed at someone who may be an expert, or those who may have experienced a similar reaction. From that I could decide if my new allergy was derived from the change in diet, or a new, age-related/environment related stimulus.

Either way, I've been wanting to give up the booze

Anyone who said they experienced the same would just be giving you anecdotal evidence, there are no scientific studies that prove or even attempt to prove that going vegan causes any allergies as far as I'm aware.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Neither me nor any of my vegan friends have experienced a sudden inability to consume alcohol after going vegan. There's no proof or studies that would suggest that was possible. If what you're saying is true, I highly doubt it's because of veganism.

It might be psychological... It's quite common when people make big life changes that any little issue they have (or think they have) is blamed on the change. Some people's minds even end up creating psyhical symptoms because they have convinced themselves so deeply that something is wrong.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

A lot of people when they go vegan tend to consume a lot less calories. I know if I drink when I haven't eaten enough calories, I get sicker than usual and cannot tolerate it as well. Maybe this could be the issue?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Mahk

Quote harpy View Post
    Just as well wine isn't really an essential food group, even if it seems like one.
    Harpy, actually it is. As a health conscious vegan I make it a point to eat a balanced diet the with all parts of the food pyramid represented: salts, fats, starches, sugars, and alcohol. Eating salty chips dipped in tomato ketchup (sugar) with beer or wine would be a classic example of my "food combining".

A lot of the time, you lose weight when going vegan, the smaller you are, the less alcohol you can take. I'll feel tipsy on a bottle of becks nowadays, and I used to spend all night doing sambuca.

Mmmm, Beck's.

Quote Rakey View Post
    A lot of the time, you lose weight when going vegan, the smaller you are, the less alcohol you can take. I'll feel tipsy on a bottle of becks nowadays, and I used to spend all night doing sambuca.
    I find that carbonated booze affects me way more than non. I can drink a reasonable amount of spirits and feel fine, but have a pint of beer and feel quite non sober.
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

There are some theories here http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HT...nterview/1037/
    about why bubbles may increase or accelerate the impact of alcohol on the brain.

I think that effect is partly why champagne etc is popular, and also why at one time people always used to be drinking "spritzers" - wine plus soda water - because you get more euphoria for your buck :-/

I do wonder about this. I really can't drink very much at all these days without finding myself very tipsy, but the other week I finished off a bottle of absinthe I had in the cupboard. It has less than a full shot left for each of us, so I mixed it in with the only thing I had in the house... elderflower lemonade.

I found myself very tipsy when I got up to get something from the other room. That kind of odd drunk where isn't mainly just your coordination that's shot, where you don't feel drunk in your head, but are utterly aware that you would find walking in a straight line a bit of a challenge.

Still, not stopping me from making schnapps... and I'm planning to start some marrow rum soon. I blame Mr Flibble
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

*live*&*let*live

Tis' the bubbles Ms D!! Lovin the new avatar pic btw! xx

Marrow booze eh? Whatever next? Carrot and mashed potato cider wahheeyy!

Quote socalveggie View Post
    my new allergy
    Have you been tested for an alcohol allergy? Unless you have been, I would be wary of calling it that - it could be any number of things.

Quote socalveggie View Post
    Yes, actually, with fewer triglycerides in my blood, I thought maybe the by-product of alcohol metabolism--acetylaldehyde--may not have a mechanism for transport, thereby be free-floating. Such free-floating "poison", if you will, could be causing an idiosyncratic reaction such as shortness of breath and bronchoconstriction. Or it may not be.

In fact, alcohol digestion, being somewhat of an oxymoron, can indeed be affected by changes in blood constitution.

So to answer your question, yes, "going totally vegan" can indeed precipitate a situation that may resemble an "allergic reaction"..

yes it's happened to me with wheat since becoming vegan.

Quote tom957 View Post
    Mmmm, Beck's.

Becks, like being in a boat.......very close to water
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

I've started to get headaches when I drink wine, but so far alittle scotch with water seems to be ok

I didn't know Becks was vegan....will have to try some

Quote Daffodil View Post
    yes it's happened to me with wheat since becoming vegan.
    In the time since I've gone vegan, I've found I can handle less wheat than previously. However, my mum is totally wheat intollerant (which only really set in when she was in her mid-30s, though she refuses to do anything about it) so I figure it must be me developing something similar. And nothing to do with being vegan.

Since getting old and wrinkly (over 30!), I've developed rosacea, and one of my triggers is alcohol. Depending on what it is, my face flushes and I look like I've got drunk on one drink! So, now I don't drink when in public. At home though......