Thread: Amazing "cheese" from Iowa City

Default Amazing "cheese" from Iowa City

I don't know if there's anyone on here who lives near/in Iowa City (or who has visited there), but there's an amazing mostly vegan coffeeshop there called Fair Grounds that sells the most delicious homemade vegan cheese. I am in love with their nacho "cheese" and I am so sad I won't be able to have it next year when I'm in London. (It's the only vegan cheese I've ever enjoyed) So, I am trying to figure out their recipe. This is a longshot, but does anyone know the recipe? I'm posting the ingredients below...if you know of a cheese recipe with the following ingredients, could you please refer me to it? Thanks!

Ingredients: potatoes, onions, carrots, nutritional yeast, tofu, sesame paste, lemon juice, filtered water, pickled jalapenos, sea salt, garlic

Default Re: Amazing "cheese" from Iowa City

It sounds a bit like one of Joanne Stepaniak's "uncheese" recipes, some of which you can read here http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6...sult#PPA227,M1 (online version of one of her books). I don't see one with potatoes but I have got a feeling there may be one - will see if I can dig out my old book if no-one else knows.

If you explain your plight to the cafe they might tell you how they make it, or have you tried that?

INDEED?!
    My mother lives in Tipton, about 40 minutes away. I have to get some of this cheese.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Quote harpy View Post
    It sounds a bit like one of Joanne Stepaniak's "uncheese" recipes, some of which you can read here http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6...sult#PPA227,M1 (online version of one of her books). I don't see one with potatoes but I have got a feeling there may be one - will see if I can dig out my old book if no-one else knows.

If you explain your plight to the cafe they might tell you how they make it, or have you tried that?
    Thanks, harpy! I don't own the "uncheese" cookbook but maybe I should consider buying it if the recipes are as good as the cheese I eat in Iowa City. I haven't asked the cafe but I think I will. I doubt they'll give me the recipe because I think they make a lot of money off selling it, but who knows? Maybe they will take pity on me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    INDEED?!
    My mother lives in Tipton, about 40 minutes away. I have to get some of this cheese.
    Yes, you definitely have to try it!

Tell them you're recommending them on an international forum and they might give you the recipe out of gratitude!

I had a look through the Uncheese Cookbook (I have the original one, not the more recent "Ultimate" one) and I'm afraid I can't see anything potato-based although I thought I remembered one like that Maybe you'll have to throw yourself on their mercy.

ETA This old thread http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8290
    mentions a Nacho Cheese Dip recipe - must be in the later editions as I don't have it. If all else fails perhaps you could sneak into a bookshop and have a look!

^ I do that.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.