Thread: Britons Told To Cut Back On Meat

Default Britons Told To Cut Back On Meat

http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?...mentid=9500784

Britons should start abandoning meat in a bid to save the environment, a world authority on climate change has said.

Changing diet was more important that cutting down car usage in the battle to reduce the average household's greenhouse gas output, it is being claimed.

Dr Rajendra Pachauri, chair of the United Nations Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and winner of the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize, sparked controversy by calling on families to stop eating meat for at least one day a week.

"The need to change our diet is increasingly urgent," Dr Pachauri said.

"Meat production represents 18 per cent of global human-induced greenhouse gas emissions, including 37 per cent of global methane emissions, which has 23 times the global warming potential of carbon dioxide and 65 per cent of nitrous oxide, which has 296 times the warming potential of carbon dioxide."

Government ministers and farming groups disagreed with Dr Pachauri's comments, saying the meat industry had been unfairly targeted.

Health minister Ben Bradshaw said: "I haven't looked at the details, but I suspect meat consumption is not the biggest contributor to climate change.

"There are a lot of other human activities we can change first that will help with climate change."

The National Farmers Union said "simplistic measures" to reduce meat consumption will actually "create more problems than they solve".

well, they WOULD say that wouldn't they!!!
    holding onto the dream that we imagined and painted forever more: elvinridge.co.uk

BlackCats

Default Re: Britons Told To Cut Back On Meat

Quote rianaelf View Post
    The National Farmers Union said "simplistic measures" to reduce meat consumption will actually "create more problems than they solve".
    (Problems for the farmers they mean.)

I'm sure there will be discussions amongst meat eaters with them using the phrase "nanny state" and justifying how they try to eat free range "happy" meat only three times a day instead of five times a day and how global warming isn't a man-made phenomenon blah blah blah....

This was the main headline in yesterday's Observer too. At least the message is beginning to get out there.

Woo hoo! Of course the pro-meat lobby will try and dismiss it but at least this is creating debate! Once REAL debate gets going, the real solution (going vegan or dramatically moving in that direction at least) will get through to the mainstream.

Ben Bradshaw put his foot right in it in his quote "I haven't looked at the details, but I suspect meat consumption is not the biggest contributor to climate change."

> LOOK AT THE F#%KING DETAILS THEN! What are you commenting for if you haven't even looked at the details??!?? And the NFU "statement" is hilarious :-

"The National Farmers Union said "simplistic measures" to reduce meat consumption will actually "create more problems than they solve". "

Oh, will it? SUCH AS??????????????????????? It's madness.

Well, the farmers will probably say that they generally have mixed use farms, and that they will go bankrupt if they lose money on their animal farming, which will in the short term lead to a disruption in food supply in the UK, and all the social and economic problems of a sector of the economy being squashed (like the problems the mining communities faced because of Thatcher). They may say that in the long term this will mean that only huge agribusinesses will be able to afford to grow crops in the UK, or the UK will have to import foods on an even greater scale from abroad. They will also say that currently manure from animals is used as fertiliser for food crops, and that without this, yields will decline and they will be forced to use petro-chemical fertilisers which will have an impact on wildlife, biodiversity and potentially pollute the water system.

This has to be a gradual process to work - it has to be farmers realising that crops are more profitable than animals, and gradually shifting the focus of their businesses. It can't come soon enough, in my opinion.