Thread: Non-dairy Lactobacillus acidophilus probiotic?

Default Non-dairy Lactobacillus acidophilus probiotic?

Hey everyone
    I need some help here. My doctor recommended I begin taking an acidophilus supplement. He steered me in the direction of a product called Ultra Dophilus DF which is apparently high quality and claims to be non-dairy. Reading the fine-print, however, it says...

"The Lactobacillus probiotic strain consumes milk-derived nutrients as a food source during one step of the fermentation process. No additional milk-derived nurients were added outside of this fermentation step."

The end product might contain no dairy, but the process certainly does... so I suppose this isn't vegan, right?

Anyway, assuming not, can anyone recommend a vegan acidophilus supplement?

I'm also wondering if this search is futile since the primarily probiotic I should be on is called Lactobacillus acidophilus. Last time I checked, lacto- means milk. 'doh?

Damon

Default Re: Non-dairy Lactobacillus acidophilus probiotic?

I think I've seen Lactobacillus acidophilus pills that said they were suitable for vegans. Lacto doesn't necessarily mean milk. It can come from anything fermented, I believe.

I think SISU brand of supplements does a vegan one. I am not sure if it's available outside of Canada, though.

http://www.rosemaryshealthfoods.co.u...etc___113.html
    This website seems to have some vegan ones. It's a UK site, though.

Veganessentials.com has one too! They're a US company.
    http://www.veganessentials.com/catal...lus-powder.htm
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Yes, I always thought anything that started with "lacto" was from milk but it can come from plants and whatnot too, as Tigerlilly said. I'm not sure what you need it for, but they have vegan yogurts that have these things in them, I think.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Mahk

Milk also comes from milk weed plants.....just kidding.

Some chemicals like lactic acid get their name because they were first discovered and isolated from milk but that doesn't (always) mean that their commercial production later on is from milk. Lactic acid, for example, is typically derived from microbial bacteria eating away at food sources such as starches and sugars like molasses.

The bacteria that naturally live in your mouth also like sugar and when they eat the food residue in your mouth and stuck between your teeth they also produce lactic acid which then eats away at your teeth's' enamel and may lead to cavities. This is why eating candy makes one cavity prone.

Silk brand soy yogurt is vegan and contains L. acidophulis.

Quote damon7B9 View Post
    "The Lactobacillus probiotic strain consumes milk-derived nutrients as a food source during one step of the fermentation process. No additional milk-derived nurients were added outside of this fermentation step."

The end product might contain no dairy, but the process certainly does... so I suppose this isn't vegan, right?
    i would say that's not vegan, since milk products are used in its production. but as others have said, there are vegan alternatives.

Hmmm, why did the doctor say you need to take probiotics? If you do need them, you may have something wrong with your digestive enzymes or other bacteria in your gut to balance them out (not just acidophilus). I take digestive enzyme supplements that are prescribed by my osteopath. They seem to work right now but they havent really solved anything long-term.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Wow - thanks for the help and clarifications, everyone!
    Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    Hmmm, why did the doctor say you need to take probiotics? If you do need them, you may have something wrong with your digestive enzymes or other bacteria in your gut to balance them out (not just acidophilus).
    Good observation. In my situation though, the probiotics are part of regime my doctor and I worked out for combating what he believes to be a dysbiosis (Candida). The plan is to take Diflucan for 2 weeks and then caprylic acid for the following 4-12 months, all while taking an acidophilus supplement (and optionally saccharomyces).

Yeah, it hits me as a pretty unnatural routine.. which doesn't sit easy. My symptoms have been all over the board though and I've spent the last 8 months trying altnerative paths. I'm ready to be done with this stuff which is why I've become open to less natural methods.

Thanks again,
    Damon