Thread: st. john's wort

Default st. john's wort

Has anyone ever tried taking St John's Wort for depression? I don't have clinical depression, but I have been going through some rough times and I am sort of feeling like I am at my wit's end. I eat right, exercise..but right now I am just very down. Does anyone know if St John's Wort is effective for something like this?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Default Re: st. john's wort

Hey there, sorry to hear you're feeling down. I did try St John's Wort a while back as I have clinical depression and was kinda reluctant to get prescription drugs to begin with. For me it didn't really do anything... (I did end up taking the prescription meds and thankfully they are working) but I have heard good things about St Johns Wort from a couple of people with mild depression. It might be worth a try. Sorry I can't really help but hopefully other people will have more information/experience. Good luck if you do try it and I hope you feel better soon.xxx

I've found it helpful in the past, but only before the real downer takes hold. I have to take it for a month or more, and then I start to feel slightly less rubbish. Watch out if you're on the pill though, and it can cause sun sensitivity too - so think carefully if you're likely to be on the beach over the next month or two.

thanks for your help, i think it is something worth considering. I am glad to hear that the meds have been helpful for you. And thank you for the kind words.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

heya miss veggiemaya..

yep i've taken it several times for several months at a time and i believe it works good for me..
    i asked my gp if it was a good option because they weren't offering anything else (at the time i didn't realise this was because he was a C.R.A.P gp) and he said 'er well i suppose it's worth a try'.
    infact i've put myself back onto it this last few weeks because i've been feeling increasingly low.

i guess it must be effective cos i do remember feeling better without really noticing i felt better..if that makes weird sense.
    i use the tincture stuff, but ought to be less erratic in remembering to take it. i also think it takes a lil while to start taking effect.

http://www.herbfacts.co.uk/sjw.htm

or probably better just type st john's wort into your search engine and read whatever takes your fancy.

hope you feel better soon though, eh?
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

thanks so much, Emma! I am glad to hear that it has worked for you. and i do know what you mean about feeling better without realizing it. i know that over time i will pick myself back up from what is going on in my life right now..i am a strong girl. but i am just feeling the weight of it is a bit too heavy.

i am going to check out the web like you suggested for the tincture.
    thanks for the encouraging words!

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    I've found it helpful in the past, but only before the real downer takes hold. I have to take it for a month or more, and then I start to feel slightly less rubbish. Watch out if you're on the pill though, and it can cause sun sensitivity too - so think carefully if you're likely to be on the beach over the next month or two.
    i actually live very close to the beach but i never go ( i wouldnt dare put a suit on in public!) and i never took the pill...so i should be ok. but thank you for giving me the heads up!

i'm not sure that the photosensitivity is a proven??

it is pretty rare..again..google or what have you and read up
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Good point, EP - I haven't had a reaction to sun with SJW, but then I've always been super-careful (ie a bit paranoid). Plus I normally only need SJW in the depths of winter, so not usually an issue...

Read the book Depression Free Naturally (just ignore the diet--they do say it's ok to eat animal products it's focused more for people who live on junk and soda's) they have quizzes in it to determine EXACTLY what supplements you need given your issues. It's a lot of vitamins yes but you will probably only need to take them for 6 months or so. I no longer take them and my depression is just gone!! I have flare ups now and again but now it's usually related to my diet and/or lack of exercise.

I've suffered from depression for 20 years and am now healed literally from this method. St Johns wort didn't work for me.

cobweb

i think the photosensitivity only happens to some people, it's a proven link but only happens in small percentage of cases. Unfortunately i am one of those! . It gives me very dark patches around my eyes and cheeks. However, i definitely think it's worth a try. I found that only the good, high strength brands work (the more expensive ones). I took it for a few years and it was a great help.

Hope you feel better soon, i can't help but feel that there is a bit of an 'air of depression' settling around the western world at the moment with all this economic gloom and doom .

Karenann... i will check out that book. that sounds like its very helpful. thank you for your input!

cobweb.... i will definitely be careful of the sun while taking it, i could imagine that would happen to me...i tend to have very sensitive, moody skin.

thanks for your positive wishes. i do think there is a low around here right now, you are right. this whole country is in crisis. my situation is on a personal level..that being of complete and utter heartbreak.
    i know that it probably seems trivial too...so many other things could be worse in life that being heartbroken..but, it really is doing a number on me.
    thanks for the help!

cobweb

broken hearts are so painful -
    hope it heals soon.

Quote cobweb View Post
    Hope you feel better soon, i can't help but feel that there is a bit of an 'air of depression' settling around the western world at the moment with all this economic gloom and doom .
    I agree money problems are what are causing my flare ups recently thats for sure. Whats helping with that is to realize that only so much of this is within my control and secondly my new taekwondo classes are awesome! I take all my money frustrations out by kicking and punching a bag. I come home feeling sore but like I can do anything. Its like with every punch I release my frustrations over high gas prices, declining market, high food prices and worries over the environment.

But before I took those supplements and healed myself from within I barely had the energy to get off the couch much less do anything productive like take a class. My dh says I'm like a new person.

karen, thats great. i am one of those people that basically lives at the gym. I take kickbox classes about 3-4 days a week, boot camp class (yes, its as nutty as you would think) and other cardio classes that whip my butt. and it has always really been a great release.
    unfortunately lately i find myself skipping out on a class here or there because i am so down that i just want to go home and be able to be sad (and cry) without having to deal with anyone but my poor lil cat, who must think her mommy has gone crazy!
    but anyway...good for you with the taekwondo classes! keep it up!

I've been on Kira SJW (I'm a crap vegan) for 10 days and have had constant nausea for 2 days, I took another brand years ago and had 9 days of nausea, and felt like a zombie, spoke to a pharmacist who said it can cause gastro intestinal upset and it should go after 10 days, but I gave up by day 9 that time as I couldn't eat. I'd expected no side effects and was surprised, on the other hand it's obviously an effective herb otherwise it wouldn't help some people's depression, so I see no reason why a herb wouldn't have side effects if they also have good effects, ie the photosensitivity.
    Tried Holland and Barratt ones last year, no side effects but they didn't work.
    Any tips gratefully received, should the side effects go if I stick with it?
    Thanks.

BlackCats

Quote karenann33 View Post
    Read the book Depression Free Naturally (just ignore the diet--they do say it's ok to eat animal products it's focused more for people who live on junk and soda's) they have quizzes in it to determine EXACTLY what supplements you need given your issues. It's a lot of vitamins yes but you will probably only need to take them for 6 months or so. I no longer take them and my depression is just gone!! I have flare ups now and again but now it's usually related to my diet and/or lack of exercise.
    (That book is great. :smile: I am following some of her vitamin plan at the moment. I didn't get all the vits she recommends though, I don't have the money for all of them.)

AliBlack - I felt sick and dizzy when I started taking combined SJW with 5 HTP tablets so I stopped taking them. There can be side effects from any depression meds I think, even natural ones.