Thread: Rose Elliot's Vegan Feasts

Default Rose Elliot's Vegan Feasts

Just bought this book and though I've yet to try the recipes I am really impressed with what I've read. The recipes sound delicious and the pages are laid out very clearly so it is easy to understand the ingredients at a glance. There's a helpful introductory section which covers vegan nutrition in a reassuring and matter-of-fact way (and cites proper research as well!)

The recipes have quite a traditional feel to them, and my OH was pleased that there are some favourites he can use at Christmas, like Christmas Pudding, wild rice and chestnuts, cranberry sauce, confit of red onion, chestnut and red wine pate en croute and homemade vegan gravy.

All the recipes have the ingredients in metric, imperial and American cups so you can just pick your favourite and stick to it.

So far a big thumbs up, and when I get round to trying any recipes I'll post again.

ETA: She also gives English names for ingredients and then puts the American name straight after in brackets, so for example she'll say, "add the spring onions (scallions)..." which is very helpful - I've had a few previously mysterious ingredients cleared up!!

Default Re: Rose Elliot's Vegan Feasts

my most well-thumbed recipe book, by far. great book.

i like this book. it's easy to use and has some great recipes. my favourite is probably the lentil pasta sauce, i make that quite a lot.

Is that the "red lentil and tomato sauce" on pg 88, Gorilla? It sounds fab - especially her suggestion of replacing some of the water with red wine

Do you think it would still taste good if I made it the evening before and then served it chilled over cold cooked pasta? I'm wanting to make some eat-out lunches for the week after next that I can put in a clip box and take with me.

Aah yeah, that lentil pasta sauce is really awesome.

My most well-used book too - I love her vegan scones and the pasta and broccoli bechamel is particularly droolsome.
    Nothing Else Matters

Quote Est View Post
    Is that the "red lentil and tomato sauce" on pg 88, Gorilla? It sounds fab - especially her suggestion of replacing some of the water with red wine

Do you think it would still taste good if I made it the evening before and then served it chilled over cold cooked pasta? I'm wanting to make some eat-out lunches for the week after next that I can put in a clip box and take with me.
    that's the one. it's a perfect winter warmer. i've never had it cold but it could be a winner.

I'll give it a go then - thanks

I also love this book. Mine's falling apart.

Quote auntierozzi View Post
    I also love this book. Mine's falling apart.
    Snap - mine's stuck together with sticky tape

Maybe it's just me, but i haven't liked any of the recipes i've had so far, with the exception of the salsa, which was delicious.
    Just don't have enough flavour, and didn't like the satay sauce with the roasted tofu...
    It's very clear and well laid out though, i'll keep trying.

Best - Vegan - Cookbook - Ever.

The kulfi recipe is probably my favourite, but with so many winners, it's hard to choose! The white sauce recipe is also great, and... ah heck, just buy it and cook the whole lot!
    Live and let live

I was looking at it on amazon - do a lot of the recipes use vegan meat and cheese replacements, or is it mostly wholefoods?

She doesn't use any replacements at all

Then that's going straight onto my amazon wishlist!

I made the scrambled tofu with mushrooms at the weekend and my husband loved it and said we should always have our scrambled tofu like that now!

My friend made me the Spanakopita and various dips (tahini, hummous, red pepper) and they were all delicious (I am very lucky that my friend went to so much effort for me).

Great book My mum who is not a vegan and may or may not be vegetarian loved it so much she thought it was acceptable to steal it back from me. I might have to buy my own copy one day but I've already learned a few good recipes off heart from it.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

When I was a student I shared a flat in halls with another vegan who had this book. I loved it but couldn't afford my own copy, so I painstakingly copied out lots of the recipes into a notebook that I could use after we all moved out. There were so many good recipes that I couldn't copy them all. Once I finally got my own copy, it was like being reunited with a long-lost friend. I haven't made her sticky date ginger cake since that year in halls, but I remember it being amazing so it's about time it had a revival! It might also be time to revisit Jean's biscuits and macaroons. I like VCIYCJ and co, but this book is much easier to use in the UK, and the recipes are just so damn good.
    Live and let live