Thread: How Do You Feel About Fake Animal Prints???

Question How Do You Feel About Fake Animal Prints???

Hey I am just curious what you guys think about wearing fake animal prints?
    As you know, animal prints like cheetah, zerbra, giraffe etc.. are all really fashionable now. They are definitely synthetic materials!
    But does anyone feel it is in anyway unethical to wear them, cos it is kinda 'advocating' the wearing of animal fur??

Default Re: How Do You Feel About Fake Animal Prints???

I have a leopard print headband that I wear. It doesn't bother me. Just like wearing fake leather IMO.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I always wanted a faux-fur snow leopard print blanket. I also kind of like the faux silver/white&black faux-snake print. I don't buy the kind that looks exactly like the real thing. I want it to be high enough quality to change peoples minds about faux items being "cheap" but not to look so real that people think it's actually an animal. I'm very careful about that.

Plus, I've got a lot of my faux items adorned with some sort of "fake it" buttons. I want people to know that it is possible to be "in style" while being compassonate. That way more people will think about going for the faux items over the dead flesh ones. Kill the stereotype that we all dress in hemp potato sacks and let people know that we aren't "extremists", We just make compassonate choices and try to do as little harm as we can. I don't like to potray veganism as difficult or depriving. I think whether or not you wear faux items as a vegan or not is up to you. It's not something to be written in bold writing in the "vegan law". Just like eating faux dairy or faux meat shouldn't be some sort of "law". I think it's something each person should decide for themselves.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

As I explain to my 6yr old, so long as we are not 'stealing' beauty from the animals with their feathers, fur, shells etc then it's okay. After all, we are ugly (my little one laughs at this) with no fluffy tail or shiny scales or long feathers. The animals probably feel sorry for us strange looking creatures -but love us anyway.

So, ya, if it makes us feel good imitating a fox, weasel or tortoise, why not?
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

cobweb

i love animal prints, always have done, if i let my 'inner self' go mad i'd look like Bet Lynch!

I loooove animal print. particularily leopard. in fact i'm wearing a leopard print hoodie right now.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote missbettie View Post
    I loooove animal print. particularily leopard. in fact i'm wearing a leopard print hoodie right now.
    I am also a fan of animal print - so much so that my sister has decided to stop me buying it! Although I am awfully jealous of the sound of missbettie's leopard print hoodie! If it was pink, I'd be flying all the way there and stealing it.....
    vegan and proud.

^ well it doooes have ears on the hood and the inside of the ears are pink....muah ha ha!

OK, thats it....I'm over there to snag it from you!
    vegan and proud.

actually, I should maybe start another thread for this. I kinda got given/left an old leather biker jacket, the poor cow is long gone and aside from a burial service, I can't really see what can be done about this. anyway, would you guys wear this? I've tried it on and, you know, biker jackets are cool an' all but it just doesn't quite sit right. that said, I have vinatge watches with leather straps. I guess I already know the answer- who really needs to ask advice hey?

i have actually never liked animal print clothing. i was given a top as a present when i was kid with some kind of animal print and never wore it. but thats my opinion.
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

Quote Justin View Post
    actually, I should maybe start another thread for this. I kinda got given/left an old leather biker jacket, the poor cow is long gone and aside from a burial service, I can't really see what can be done about this. anyway, would you guys wear this? I've tried it on and, you know, biker jackets are cool an' all but it just doesn't quite sit right. that said, I have vinatge watches with leather straps. I guess I already know the answer- who really needs to ask advice hey?
    there already are plenty of threads discussing this exact topic.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

RubyDuby

Quote XxsarahxX View Post
    i have actually never liked animal print clothing. i was given a top as a present when i was kid with some kind of animal print and never wore it. but thats my opinion.
    i'm with you on this. i can't take it seriously. i'd feel like i looked like a peggy bundy wannabe. but again, back to personal preference. I just don't have what it takes to rock it.

but if there were cute lil pink ears involved... i could see why one might be interested.
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

i hate animal prints totally! always reminded me of bet lynch in corrie - looks tatty to me. just my opinion though

Lol, me to cedar. I have a leopard pattered mug and thats it. I just think of old ladies who own b&bs in there animal print night gown and slippers

i felt the same way about it for a while, i thought it was tacky... but for some reason i just really got into it (iguess i'm tacky now...). i'm even going to get leopard print tattooed on my lower back...but thats also because of a book i like...hehe...

i think some people can look good in animal print, it takes a certain something to be able to pull it off and not look tacky. i bet you suit it just nicely, MissB!

aw shucks gorilla you are too kind

Quote Justin View Post
    You know my answer

I wouldn't wear head-to-toe animal prints, but I did contemplate buying some (non-leather, obv) leopard print boots today. Then realised they were nearly fifty quid. And I have zebra-print pants (probably part of a multipack with black ones at some point) but nobody would think those were real unless they really thought I was a perv.
    I kissed a duck - and I liked it

I don't think I'd look good wearing animal prints, but if I could find some nice organic sateen animal print sheets, I would put them on my bed in a heartbeat. Yowza!

I've always thought they looked tacky, but to each their own. After all if it's not harming anyone/thing then what is the big deal? Unless you choose to take it further and feel that by wearing fake prints you'd be inspiring others to buy real animal skin.. or you could inspire others who like that look to go the synthetic route like you and therefore convert someone from wearing animal skin/fur.

It's really a personal choice.

Like someone else is has said this is a big subject on many vegetarian and vegan forums. My take on it is this; fake products are amazing they prove to the rest of the world that you do not need blood on your hands to enjoy fashion.

Put it this way if for example the raccoon or mink or tiger never ever existed as an animal ever in evolution. But one morning some clothing designer with an ethical out-look who used no animal products was sat in his or her studio with there pencils and sketched a fabric design.

This fabric design just happened to look like a raccoon coat (would have looked if they lived) or say it appeared to have a tiger print (would they have called it Tiger print if no tiger existed to reference that design)

My point is there should be no issue with it at all it is merely man made fibers with a print and a design, the vegan should be able to stand proud! and say hay this 100% synthetic there is no excuse for the real thing to ever be used again look what i have bought and look what can be made without animals suffering.

The same goes for the guy talking about leather jacket, myself I would never ever wear old leather, 2nd hand etc, but again I see no issue or problem with faux / synthetic leather products should we even call them that ? it would avoid all those issues with the vegans who feel uncomfortable with that tag /label.

I look at it this way if we were lucky enough to live in a society that treated animals as equals and it was forbidden to kill them remove there skins (I wish) and use them for, shoes, bags, sofa and coats.

I am very sure by now if the above was fact based on modern technology (and the fact that someone has already invented it) products like Birkofelt, Birkoflor, Cotton Backed Polyurethane, Microfibre, Nylon/Synthetic, Suedette, Vegetan Active, Vegetan Bucky, Vegetan Micro, Vegetan Smooth Grain, Vegetan Suede, Vegetan Uppers would be in use all over the place instead of leather (HOORAY we can only wish)

Society would have been looking for fabric long ago that is strong, flexible, easy to clean, looked appealing and could be easily made by people.

The above products used by the likes of veg shoes and others have been in use in industry for many years under other names, vegan fashion has renamed them for there use.

Some are far cheaper than animal products, I hope one day society will sit up and listen and realise that you do not have to use animals for clothing.

So stand up proud as a vegan and say my coat is or boots are 100% synthetic you have no need to wear animal skins in modern society look what can be achieved using synthetic materials.

If an Onmi gave you a hard time for shoes or a coat say why to them why are you wearing a fake Cotton Backed Polyurethane coat or shoes (e.g leather) when you can wear real Cotton Backed Polyurethane (vegan)

STAND proud brother and sister vegan and say HELL YHEA to the fakes
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

I have a few things that either are, or have some bright pink/red/green leopard print, like cardigans, tops, hair accessories which I totally love but I don't do fake fur or any of that kind of gubbins!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Well I don't have any fake animal print stuff, well because I really don't wanna look like a 70s/80s glam rocker. (Sorry guys)

I do however have plenty of fake leather items which are all adorned with fake badges...just to make sure!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Well I don't have any fake animal print stuff, well because I really don't wanna look like a 70s/80s glam rocker. (Sorry guys)

I do however have plenty of fake leather items which are all adorned with fake badges...just to make sure!
    Always a good option.

cobweb

i wouldn't wear a fake fur that's meant to look 'real', - i like the glam rock type stuff

Quote cobweb View Post
    i wouldn't wear a fake fur that's meant to look 'real', - i like the glam rock type stuff
    I guess I'm not a fan of the music or the look...simply because the music I listen too grew as a direct result of the hate for it i.e thrash!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    I guess I'm not a fan of the music or the look...simply because the music I listen too grew as a direct result of the hate for it i.e thrash!
    Off topic but worth a mention if you like Thrash I recommend you look out for this new film on its way out http://www.getthrashed.com/, not yet released in UK.

Play.com will be doing a copy of it slightly cheaper http://www.play.com/Music/MusicDVD/4...searchsource=0

^ lol

As long as it's just a print and not the actual skin I see nothing wrong with it. I liken it to floral and folliage prints - completely harmless. Although I'm no fashionista I happen to like fashion and I see valid reasons for using an animal print as well as fake furs/skins in the animal world. Although the functioning is certainly different many ideas are borrowed from the animal world such as flight and weaponry.

woeisSalad

I love zebra and giraffes prints, it shows admiration for their beauty without harming an animal, i dont think it condones the wearing of fur, but just the opposite even maybe, animals are beautiful, enjoy it, just enjoy it on ethical terms.

We've got fake fur bed throws and satin sheets - it looks like the playboy mansion in our bedroom
    Silent but deadly :p

^ woo hoo!!