Thread: 1500 calorie a day diet?

Default 1500 calorie a day diet?

usually when i try to diet i always cut calories too low (1000-1200) a day and then i have a hard time sticking to it or i binge or have no energy. so im trying a new route with 1500 a day. i'm 5'4 and currently 140 ish trying to get back to last year's 120. i also exercise for at least an hour daily. think i could lose 2-3 lbs a week?

Default Re: 1500 calorie a day diet?

I'm going a 1500 cal diet starting tomorrow. Good luck!

I like to use this website to figure out how much weight I'll be losing.
    http://www.losertown.org/eats/cal.php
    Peace, love, and happiness.

oh cool, maybe we could keep tabs with each other on here.

The idea is to cut 500 kcals from whatever amount it takes to mantain your weight. In women this averages at 2000 kcals per day and this is why we often see this 1500 kcals per day as a recomendation to lose weight.
    This should lead to a 1-2lb (up to 1kg) loss of fat per week. If you lose more than this it is unlikely to be fat. If you lose a lot of weight at a time you are likely to be compromising muscle tissue. The less of this you have, the lower your metablism. Which is why people who spend their lives yo yo dieting end up heavier and with more body fat.

Thanks Cookey!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

mango woman

Could you that are following the 1500 calorie diet post some examples of what you are eating throughout the day? For some reason three meals averaging no more than 385 calories and three snacks of no more than 128 calories is seeming like not enough if including things like rice and various items such as miso, fruit.. nuts.. seeds...

Thanks!!!

I'm been eating about 1500 a day. I'm trying to eat less but it never seems to work. I've been eating a green smoothie for breakfast, lunch for snacks and lunch. So all raw til dinner. Then I eat one serving of brown rice or quinoa and steamed broccoli or kale. It seems like so little but it adds up really fast.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote cookey View Post
    The idea is to cut 500 kcals from whatever amount it takes to mantain your weight. In women this averages at 2000 kcals per day and this is why we often see this 1500 kcals per day as a recomendation to lose weight.
    This should lead to a 1-2lb (up to 1kg) loss of fat per week. If you lose more than this it is unlikely to be fat. If you lose a lot of weight at a time you are likely to be compromising muscle tissue. The less of this you have, the lower your metablism. Which is why people who spend their lives yo yo dieting end up heavier and with more body fat.
    This is kind of weird, because I remember in the beginning of September I was 192 pounds (measured at doctor's office) ate a lot of junk, like pizza and muffins, but exercised a fair amount and lost 15 pounds. Then I got sick for about three months and did little exercise other than walking and stuff, and so gained back about 5 pounds, then now I'm 172 pounds, measured at a doctor's office, though I'm not that active, but I'm not specifically dieting (though I wish to); in fact I eat a fair amount, and I don't get enough exercise but just through going about my daily stuff I get about 30 minutes of running and fast walking in a day. The main thing I want to increase is exercise.

Sorry, what I should have said was, you need to create a 500 kcal deficit. This could be by cutting 500 kcals from your diet, exercising an extra 500kcals, or through a mixture of both - which is the healthiest way for most people. 1500 may not be the right amount for you because it depends what calorie intake you need to maintain your current weight.
    For me, I need around 2300kal a day to maintain my weight because I have higher than average muscle mass for a woman. So if I want to lose fat, I only go down to around 1800kcal.
    It depends how precise you want to be - you could just say that you will do a little more exercise and eat a little less, or you could calculate your calorie intake and output using various methods.
    The point is - there is no change without change. But extremely low calorie diets don't tend to be useful because they make you retain fat because your body thinks you are starving. This then reduces your metabolism because your muscle mass is reduced.
    I could go on - but this is already becoming a very long post!
    Last edited by cookey; Dec 6th, 2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: can't do simple subtraction!

mango woman

Please do go on! I'm interested.

OK - well I think that the theory and physiological side of weight management is easy - if you take in more calories than you use, you gain weight, if you take in the same as you use, you stay the same and if you take in less than you use, you lose weight.
    I think what is harder is the mental and instinctive/boiological side of things. If we assume that our bodies have developed to be in a hunter gatherer situation where food is scarce and getting food uses up calories - mostly by gathering but sometimes by hunting - then we can see that the environment most of us (on this board ) are in where food is plentiful and exercise can be scarce is unatural.
    So it's not suprising that when we provide people with cheap, high fat, low nutrition food which they can obtain with minimal calorie output e.g driving to the supermarket, drive through fast food, order food and have it delivered - people become overweight.
    Maybe this makes it easier to understand that if we want to be a healthy weight - we need to think like a gatherer. Eat small amounts often throughout the day and exercise every day.

cookey you are my hero!

I started deiting about 2 months ago and was eating around 1,100 a day. Thing is though I never had to go hungry or felt like I had no energy....I think this is because instead of eating meals and no snacks I was just eating lots of little small meals throughout the day....it really worked and I didn't feel like I was depriving myself Maybe try this?
    Can't live my life with no rhythm or rhyme

mango woman

cornishdreadhead, what kinds of stuff would you munch on throughout the day when you were doing this? I've been thinking about doing the 'eating smaller things more often' thing but I'm not really sure how to go about it.

Something like a wholewheat pitta bread with salad or soup or a tofu salad or something. Snack a jacks do bags of popcorn which are something like 30calories each and they're really tasty, quite pricey though. Also bannanas. Om nom nom.

Oh also writing down everything u eat in a day really helps! Although it is quite annoying...

Quote cornishdreadhead View Post
    Oh also writing down everything u eat in a day really helps! Although it is quite annoying...

i used to do that and found i was getting fatter! now i just keep a rough tally in my head and it seems to be working so far!.....

asleep ona sunbeam

I might be wrong but I think 1500 is too low for most people. Of course it's not just about how much you eat, simply put I go by this:
    intake of calories < outake of calories
    Everyone is of course different, but if you're maintaining your weight on 2000Kcals, then to cut a quarter of what you eat out seems drastic, surely it'd be better with getting a number more similar to 1750 (give or take 100) and make sure you're getting a reasonable amount of exercise. Although not too much due to eating less.

Would people be at risk of going into ketosis if they did cut out 500 kcals from their daily diet?

Mundus

Good luck with the diet Samariah!! I have to say though 1500 calories a day would kill me personally , considering I get about 2,900-3,100 a day right now.

ambs

i was thinking about this whole 1500 calorie daily intake, as i actually need to eat more.
    but when i look at how much food that needs to be consumed to meet those requirements healthily, i just don't think i could eat that much, because for about nearly two years now i've been on a very restricted diet to loose weight, eating one healthy meal a day, along with fruit in the morning and some days i would have nuts/trail mix for a snack in the afternoon, but never ate past 5 pm.
    i know it's probably not the most "heathiest" way to loose weight, but it worked, i lost 17 kilo's -gradually- .. now im getting below my personal weight prefrence and am starting to get concerned.
    i've been to the doctor and have been told i need to gain 6 kilo's to be heathy for my height.
    i did start to develop a mild eating disorder, but am currently working on getting my mind back to a healthier way of thinking.

so anyway, i currently consume under 1000 calories a day, sometimes under 700, sometimes more..
    it's not that i choose to, it's just the way things go.
    im trying to stay close to the 800-900 at the moment, but it doesnt seem to be helping and i keep loosing weight.
    and i've read everywhere saying 1200-1500 is a good calorie intake.. but i have no idea how i could do that.. as i've been like this for so long now
    but on even a more complicated note, i dont want to gain weight either.. i kind of just want to maintain it.

any advice?

asleep ona sunbeam

Quote ambs View Post
    i was thinking about this whole 1500 calorie daily intake, as i actually need to eat more.
    but when i look at how much food that needs to be consumed to meet those requirements healthily, i just don't think i could eat that much, because for about nearly two years now i've been on a very restricted diet to loose weight, eating one healthy meal a day, along with fruit in the morning and some days i would have nuts/trail mix for a snack in the afternoon, but never ate past 5 pm.
    i know it's probably not the most "heathiest" way to loose weight, but it worked, i lost 17 kilo's -gradually- .. now im getting below my personal weight prefrence and am starting to get concerned.
    i've been to the doctor and have been told i need to gain 6 kilo's to be heathy for my height.
    i did start to develop a mild eating disorder, but am currently working on getting my mind back to a healthier way of thinking.

so anyway, i currently consume under 1000 calories a day, sometimes under 700, sometimes more..
    it's not that i choose to, it's just the way things go.
    im trying to stay close to the 800-900 at the moment, but it doesnt seem to be helping and i keep loosing weight.
    and i've read everywhere saying 1200-1500 is a good calorie intake.. but i have no idea how i could do that.. as i've been like this for so long now
    but on even a more complicated note, i dont want to gain weight either.. i kind of just want to maintain it.

any advice?
    wowza!

Firstly, I'd start making big batches of soups, and with each portion I'd eat, I'd add 2-3 tablespoons of oil (not the best way to get calories, but with such a low intake).
    Next, start eating nuts, they're high in calories.
    Start eating 2 meals a day, one as soon in the day as you can, the other at 7PM, if you don't feel hungry, then, just try eating a variation of nuts, 3 handfuls, keep them in a box near you and just keep nibbiling at them, don't try to eat them all at once.

Over time, work your intake up.
    It's clear that it'd be extremely hard to double your intake after eating so little for so long.

You'll most likely put fat on at first, as your body will want to replenish your supply, but after that a lot of it will probably be tonable (if that's a word).

Sugar is also high in calories of course, so things full of sugar may be a good way to go, although they might fill you up too much as well.

If you start to feel bloated, or any odd signs in your body, it's probably a good sign.

I'm not a medical expert, or anything even near that, so if anyone has better advice, or wants to point out flaws in my advice, feel free to. I'm just trying to suggest ways to get back into better eating habits, and suggest high calorie foods.

JC

How do you manage to eat so little without trying, ambs? I've heard that your body needs at least 1200 cals a day, just to function, so you're well undereating! Why don't you try pushing your boundary to 6m, and fit another meal into that extra hour, because ideally you need 3 healthy meals a day, not 1. As long as you do a healthy amount of exercise, you shouldn't gain weight

Quote asleep ona sunbeam View Post
    wowza!

Firstly, I'd start making big batches of soups, and with each portion I'd eat, I'd add 2-3 tablespoons of oil (not the best way to get calories, but with such a low intake).
    Next, start eating nuts, they're high in calories.
    personally i'd add nuts and seed to the soups instead of oil - too much saturated fat in oil that's bad for your cholesterol levels!
    Sugar is also high in calories of course, so things full of sugar may be a good way to go, although they might fill you up too much as well.
    too much sugar is also bad for you. best to fill up on stuff like oats and cereals etc. they have a slow release rather than sugar just gives you a quick fix and raises your insulin levels causing you store in your fat cells

If you start to feel bloated, or any odd signs in your body, it's probably a good sign.
    i'd say probably not good to feel bloated, 6 small meals a day is best

again i'm no expert mind..... feel free to research

ambs

yes i am under eating as everybody tells me, but it's so normal to me.
    but i try have a snack daily, like nuts.. sometimes i gauge out on them and i always think coz i eat them so regularly that i'll gain weight.
    it's like i'm in two minds sets,
    one part is thinking "gain a kilo or two, your underweight, you need to be healthy"
    but the other part is thinking "no don't, you'll gain weight and look horrible"

it's confusing

Mundus

Quote ambs View Post
    any advice?
    I really don't want to sound mean at all, but less than 1,000 calories a day seems like a severe eating disorder.

Quote ambs View Post
    one part is thinking "gain a kilo or two, your underweight, you need to be healthy"
    I'm surprised nobody you know has mentioned it, maybe it's not noticeable. If I were you I would talk it over with someone, like a family member or friend, before it gets any worse and you end up hurting yourself. I do not think there is much that anyone on this board could do to convince you otherwise, you really need to speak it over with someone you know.

Just took the plunge today and signed myself up to closer diets.com. It seems alright so far, fairly cheap-ish and there are lots of dietary needs u can tell them to remember like vegan etc which is good Also it gives you personalised meal plans with lots of nice looking things tailored to your needs! Dunno if it'll change my weight loss but I'll let you all know

Quote cornishdreadhead View Post
    Just took the plunge today and signed myself up to closer diets.com. It seems alright so far, fairly cheap-ish and there are lots of dietary needs u can tell them to remember like vegan etc which is good Also it gives you personalised meal plans with lots of nice looking things tailored to your needs! Dunno if it'll change my weight loss but I'll let you all know
    Ooh let us know how the meal plans go!
    I looked at signing up, but thought it would be pointless as they would send me chicken salad, fish and veggies recipes etc!

I also try to stay within 1500-1800 calories a day. I use the site Sparkpeople to track my food and fitness. It works really well for me. Since going Vegan I have noticed that my calorie range can fall lower easily if I dont pay attention. But nuts, beans, and whole grains normally do the trick!

Good luck everyone who is trying to maintain weight, lose weight, and be Vegan at the same time. Its alot to focus on, but it feels good to say "Im a healthy Vegan, and I love it!"

asleep ona sunbeam

I should probably admit I've had an awful diet recently, 2 proper meals in 3 days>_<
    snacking ish, probably getting at most 500kcal a day>_<
    it really isn't good, I'm sorting it out.

Gonna go back up to 2K in the next 5 days (if I can, but, come on, I sssooo can!)

mango woman

Quote ambs View Post
    yes i am under eating as everybody tells me, but it's so normal to me.
    but i try have a snack daily, like nuts.. sometimes i gauge out on them and i always think coz i eat them so regularly that i'll gain weight.
    it's like i'm in two minds sets,

it's confusing
    Ambs, you need to seek professional help. I don't think anyone else here should be giving you advice either. You have an eating disorder- it's very clear. Two mindsets, calorie restriction, rigorous exercise and negative body image.. 800, 900 or 1000 calories is incredibly low for an intake- especially someone of your height, build and age [and not to mention your weight training mentioned on another thread]. You are starving yourself and continuing to lose weight, though you are already dangerously underweight. You need to get help before something horrible happens. Seriously.

treaclemine

Two technical questions:

Has anyone put together a realistic food plan which is analyzed by something like www.nutritiondata.com which meets all our daily nutrient requirements with lower than 1800 calories?

What is the daily calorie intake needed to maintain the minimum exercise recommendations for good health in the UK, of 5 x 30 mins of sufficiently vigorous exercise to raise the heart-rate a little (assuming that one otherwise has an office job)?

Quote treaclemine View Post
    Two technical questions:

Has anyone put together a realistic food plan which is analyzed by something like www.nutritiondata.com which meets all our daily nutrient requirements with lower than 1800 calories?

What is the daily calorie intake needed to maintain the minimum exercise recommendations for good health in the UK, of 5 x 30 mins of sufficiently vigorous exercise to raise the heart-rate a little (assuming that one otherwise has an office job)?
    1) I've been eating about 1500 cal/day and I enter what I eat into fit day and I almost always meet all the daily nutrient requirements. I eat a lot of raw foods: green smoothie and fruit salad usually. I also will have almond butter with fruit and luna bars. When I feel like a cooked meal I'll have steamed veggies and brown rice. I don't plan to always eat like this, I'm just trying to lose weight and am sticking to this diet for one month.

2) It depends on your height and weight. There are plenty of online calculates. I use fit day, but just google "daily calorie needs" and they'll have you type in your age, height, weight and amount of exercise. Mine is about 2500 cals to maintain my weight, but I excerise more then a half hour.

Hope that helps.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote DiaShel View Post
    2) It depends on your height and weight. There are plenty of online calculates. I use fit day, but just google "daily calorie needs" and they'll have you type in your age, height, weight and amount of exercise.

Great website, thanks for the recommendation I just signed up.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I'm going a 1500 cal diet starting tomorrow. Good luck!

I like to use this website to figure out how much weight I'll be losing.
    http://www.losertown.org/eats/cal.php

Cool site. it reckons i should be at my target weight by January. that's about right...i'd estimated this Xmas

I have put on half a stone recently which I want to lose again. So yesterday I started my healthy eating regime. I ate what I thought was about right for me but at the end of the day I added it all up and I had actually eaten far too little. It only added up to 1100 calories and 20g of fat. I was really surprised I had eaten so little fat. I promptly ate some nuts to boost myself up.

I'm going to be more careful now to make sure I don't eat too much or too little. If I aim to do a 1500 calories diet, how much fat should I aim for? 50-55g?

I believe that calories from fat should be around 25%-30%- on a 1200 kcal diet this is around 33g

On a 1500 kcal diet, this would be between 42g-50g

Thanks I will start eating more nuts and avocados then!

I've just totted up what I have eaten and what I plan to eat today and I am about 1500 calories and 37g fat. Better than yesterday! I can't believe how hard I am finding it to eat enough fat, its not something I have ever thought about before. (When I say finding it hard I mean eating fat and eating healthily Give me a bag of crisps and a packet of biscuits and I would have no problems with the fat!!)

This is my food for today (Just realised I eat a lot of snacks!)

Breakfast: Porridge & rice milk
    Lunch: Jacket potato & baked beans
    Dinner: ½ pizza & salad
    Snacks: Brazil nuts, Snack a jacks, Kiwi, Apple, Cereal bar

You sound like you're doing really well, keep going at it

JC

I've put on half a stone recently too Linxie - i think it's because i eat when i'm bored. And as i'm on study leave at the moment, i'm always bored! I'm going to be a bridesmaid in 3 and a 1/2 months, i'm hoping to have lost it again by then. It's just really hard because i'm so used to distracting myself from revision with food, it's difficult to break the habit!

I'm a bridesmaid too but not til next summer

Well I have stuck to my diet for 5 whole days now!! Woo hoo!

^ Yeah! The first few days are the hardest!

JC

Well done! I've done... 1 day, haha!

Do you feel any better for your 5 days of healthy-ness?

Quote !! View Post
    I believe that calories from fat should be around 25%-30%- on a 1200 kcal diet this is around 33g

On a 1500 kcal diet, this would be between 42g-50g

Yes but make sure that it's not all SATURATED fat. A woman should only have MAXIMUM 20g a day and a man 30g.

I've managed to keep saturated fat to about 10g a day. Things went a little bit wrong yesterday at my friend's birthday BBQ but I've done ok

Quote Linxie View Post
    I've managed to keep saturated fat to about 10g a day. Things went a little bit wrong yesterday at my friend's birthday BBQ but I've done ok

me too NORMALLY. but it's gone wrong this weekend..... bank holidays cause me to overeat!! oops...