Thread: Is this a healthy day?

almondman

Default Is this a healthy day?

For breakfast I had a multi-vitamin that has almost everything in it. Vitamins A, B, C, D, iron, calcium, selenium, folic acid, zinc, etc. Followed 20 minutes later by an apple.

For lunch I had 2 ounces of boiled quiona, a small dish of microwaved garden peas, and a microwaved corn on the cob.

For my evening meal I'm going to put 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a tray, cut organic potatoes into french fries and brush them all over in the oil, then bake for 20 minutes and serve with microwaved Heinz organic baked beans.

I'll drink a few glasses of water throughout the day, no other drinks.

So I would like to know is that a healthy day? I'm trying to improve my diet. I had been eating too many chips and too many baked potatoes (almost every meal).

I'm thinking of trying to eat quinoa at least every other day since it has all the proteins and I'm worried my muscles are weak. I do exercise - press ups and sit ups but lately it's become a bit too difficult. Maybe the quinoa will help.

Default Re: Is this a healthy day?

I doesn't sound like you're eating very much, you probably need to eat more overall. Also there's only 3 or 4 servings of fruit and veg there, it's reccomended you get 5-10 a day.

You needed to work on your breakfast. Its way too restrictive. Do you have issues with certain foods you don't want to eat?
    The lunch sounds a little restrictive as well and not very tasty.
    Personally I doubt I could eat it unless I put loads of veggie sauce and mayonnaise on it. Don't invite me to lunch just yet!

The main course sounds ok but you could do with a few more veggies there.
    Baked beans are a good protein source.
    Are you new to vegan eating?
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

Sounds like a rather unhealthy diet actually in the fact that it's far too little food intake, both carbs and proteins for an active lifestyle.
    And don't get me started on microwaves! Steam yer veg!
    But there seems to be no actual proof that they destroy the nutrients in food so you could be ok with that one!

The amount of quiona you mention has probably around a 1/7th of the recomended daily protein intake in it if you're lucky, and you are basically having beans and chips for evening meal which, again is probably around 10 - 15 grammes of protein so you are severely undernourishing your muscles.
    You say 2 ounces of boiled quiona? Is that dried weight or weight after cooking? If i was eating it i'd have about at least 4 ounces dried as a portion which probably equates to 8 ounces cooked and even then that's only around 20 grammes of protein in that amount out of the RDD of around 50 to 70!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

The more you vary your diet, the better a selection of nutrients you're likely to get. Why not look around and see what fruit and veg are in season (i.e. cheap) at the moment and work your way through those? Don't forget about green leafy veg such as cabbage, spinach and watercress which are supposed to be healthy (and certainly taste good).

You might also want to think about including nuts and seeds if you don't already as they're pretty nutritious - protein and healthy fats, plus trace elements (e.g. selenium in brazil nuts, zinc in pumpkin seeds).

I just looked at your profile and you say you are a curry lover. Curries can be very healthy if not loaded in thick fat from the Indian takeaway, we have a big section here on curries and indian food, maybe you could get some ideas there.
    Indian food is very versatile and if you really like it you could eat it for every meal, just like they do in India.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

almondman

I haven't been a vegan for too long. Thanks for the help. I'll have a look at those curry recipes.

I meant 2 ounces of dried weight in quinoa. I don't know how you'd manged to eat 4 ounces! I found 2 ounces extremely filling.

I probably don't like as many foods as most people but partly that's because I didn't try enough foods for most my life. I've never drank tea or coffee and never eaten pasta except tinned Heinz spaghetti.

Would definitely like to learn more.

Try a pint of Soya milk mixed with fresh fruit juices every day, that's a good source of natural carbs and protein but you need to find a soya milk that you like, some can be not too pleasant and could put you off. I like the 'Soya Soleil', 'tesco's own' or, slightly dearer 'Alpro' all unsweetened.
    Smoked tofu sliced in a roll with salad and vegan mayo is a good lunch as well!

i agree that it sounds like you need to eat more, and you need to experiment with different foods. if you've only ever had tinned spaghetti you're really missing out! try cooking dried pasta (make sure there's no egg in it) with a variety of sauces, you can get plenty of veg in there and protein if you use some sort of veggie mince/TVP/tempeh depending on your preference.

you could also do with eating more at breakfast. one piece of fruit would never keep me going all morning. how about a smoothie or wholegrain cereal?

i sometimes eat beans and chips for dinner but always with some sort of protein - veggie sausages, scrambled tofu, veggie burger; something like that.

Quote Gorilla View Post
    i sometimes eat beans and chips for dinner but always with some sort of protein - veggie sausages, scrambled tofu, veggie burger; something like that.
    I've just eaten 2 veg sausages on a French stick but reading that bit STILL made me hungry, lol!!

Quote gogs67 View Post
    I've just eaten 2 veg sausages on a French stick but reading that bit STILL made me hungry, lol!!
    A man after my own heart.

Quote almondman View Post
    I haven't been a vegan for too long. Thanks for the help. I'll have a look at those curry recipes.

I meant 2 ounces of dried weight in quinoa. I don't know how you'd manged to eat 4 ounces! I found 2 ounces extremely filling.

I probably don't like as many foods as most people but partly that's because I didn't try enough foods for most my life. I've never drank tea or coffee and never eaten pasta except tinned Heinz spaghetti.

Would definitely like to learn more.
    Wholewheat pasta, is amazing, and pasta is the simplest dish in the world. All you need are some chopped tomartos and some veg of your choice to make a good pasta sauce (and red wine if your like me)

^ eh, no to change the subject but I tried whole wheat pasta from Whole Foods and I could hardly stomach it, I thought it was so disgusting. Maybe different sorts taste different?
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

I cook wholewheat pasta for a long time so it goes nice and soft. I don't like it "al dente'. I love white pasta, but wholewheat is so much healthier. I eat white only sometimes.