Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Heather Mills News x 2 !

Default Re: Heather Mills News x 2 !

Quote xJimx View Post
    any AR/vegan campaigns involving her will automatically be dismissed by the vast majority.
    But they WILL get noticed. No such thing as bad publicity and all that

Alot of the public dismiss AR/vegan campaigns anyway. At least she's out there doing something. I think she's genuine. At least when the issues get mentioned again at a later date by other authorities or whatever, people will have heard about the issues and have a vague connection with them.

Who else could Viva! use for vegan campaigns? I love Benjamin Zephaniah et al but they just don't make as many front pages

Oh, and Paul McCartney is not vegan as far as i'm aware. I read a Radio Times interview with him a while back where he was eating some fresh cream cake or cream slice or some stuff. Ick.

You think he'd be vegan by now, really. What a shame.

BlackCats

Quote gogs67 View Post
    You obviously never saw one of the most concentrated PR hate campaigns i've ever seen waged against someone in this country by the 'red tops', i'm actually surprised she survivied it with as few mental problems as she seems to have. Her 'positive' PR spin is nothing in comparison.
    Exactly. I don't understand why some people would hate her so much. It's not like she is Gordon Ramsay! Even if she was a "gold digger" (which I have no idea if she is) it's not like she left him penniless and wasn't it his decision whether or not to marry her in the first place. I'm sure at his age (!) he can make his own mind up about who he wanted to marry.
    Also who else is a famous vegan in the UK? At least some more people might know the meaning of the word vegan now. I read a comment by Heather Mills and she said that she gets people coming up to her on the street saying that they feel sympathy for her situation and at how the media have treated her. At a veggie fair in London I heard that her talk was extremely full with people so I think having a well known person involved with Viva is a good thing.

Quote wildcatstrike View Post
    No such thing as bad publicity and all that
    Oh yes, there is. Media is full of it...

Stu

Quote BlackCats View Post
    At least some more people might know the meaning of the word vegan now.
    I hear ya, sista!

Quote Korn View Post
    Oh yes, there is. Media is full of it...
    Bad journalists, sure, but even if someone slags off Heather for saying that veganism is good for the planet, at least they're hearing the words "veganism is good for the planet".

The issue infiltrates people's minds whether they like Heather, hate Heather, agree with her or not.

Better that than to have no people hear it at all. I'm sure Viva! use Heather as a way of reaching the media and the public with their message, and it works, whatever reaction it causes.

I watched the film she made about trying to ban dog and cat fur. A v painful watch and since then I have thought she is amazing. She forced people to watch films of the upsetting reality of the fur trade and you could tell she was desparately upset. She petitioned the UN and got a major store in the US to stop selling fur. She may not be media freindly but she is out there, ignoring the flack and making a difference.
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

seitan

Quote Edeline View Post
    Just want to say: I am not a Beatles fan, and I certainly don’t buy into the whole ‘Saint McCartney’ thing.

BUT...

...I honestly believe that Heather Mills is the scum of the earth.

Seriously, I feel that strongly about it. She is one of those deplorable people who do charity work – not for the sake of doing a good deed – but for the kudos it brings them. Her veganism is merely an extension of this ‘ooh, get me!’ attitude. If she went about her business quietly, I might believe her when she bleats on about all the all the hard work she does for her ‘charridies’, but the woman complains about the press interest in her, then jumps at any opportunity presented to get her ugly mug on tv! She’s a vain, deluded self-publicist who only cares about animal rights and veganism in as much as it gets her attention. Make no mistake – if she thought that it would make the public love her as much as they love Paul, she would run through times square naked with a fur stole draped around her shoulders eating a ham sandwich.
    ill go carefull or ill be banned

what do you actually know about her? ill assume just stuff youve read and seen on tv, right? please tell me if that isnt the case.

to publicise something you are doing (for charities in this case), you need to use the media, thats why she shows her "mug" on the tv. that seems pretty obvious to me.

im actually finding it really hard not to just fire in to you........

please, please tell me (us) why you know so much about her, and how you know that she is such a horrible, money grabbing woman.

just to clarify, i do NOT follow well known people, im really not at all interested in them just because they are "famous".
    ive heard plenty about heather, from my wife who used to work at viva, who heather worked very closely with, thats how im basing my feeligns on this issue.

she does these charities because thats what she truely beleives in. if she tells the world "look, ive donated £***** to **** charitries", its not to big herself up, its to spread the word, make people realise these charities exist, to raise awareness of certain issues.

calling another vegan "scum of the earth" just comes across as really weird/screwed up, to me.

seitan

Quote Manimal View Post
    sorry no time for heather 'gold digger' mills and her PR spins. the message she is portraying is good, but her reasons for doing it are selfish.
    how do YOU know her reasons for doing it? please tell..........

seitan

Quote xJimx View Post
    Bloody awful woman! Personally I'm quite embarrassed that she seems to be the public face of veganism in the UK.

Rightly or wrongly, Mills is arguably the most unpopular woman in the country at the present time, so any AR/vegan campaigns involving her will automatically be dismissed by the vast majority. I struggle to understand why Viva seems to believe that having a public hate figure as their chief celeb spokesperson is going to do them any favours.

Maybe she's a lovely person who is 100% committed to veganism & won't sell out as soon as the cameras disappear, but if AR groups want to play the media game then they need to wise up.
    im confused by the idea that people wil lnot go veg*n because they met/saw/know someone who is, but is a loon.
    if these people DONT go veg*n because of that i really question their motives and sincerity in the first place!

seitan

But they WILL get noticed. No such thing as bad publicity and all that

Alot of the public dismiss AR/vegan campaigns anyway. At least she's out there doing something. I think she's genuine. At least when the issues get mentioned again at a later date by other authorities or whatever, people will have heard about the issues and have a vague connection with them.

Who else could Viva! use for vegan campaigns? I love Benjamin Zephaniah et al but they just don't make as many front pages

Oh, and Paul McCartney is not vegan as far as i'm aware. I read a Radio Times interview with him a while back where he was eating some fresh cream cake or cream slice or some stuff. Ick.

You think he'd be vegan by now, really. What a shame.
    thanks, youve said what i should have, calmly, said

seitan

Bad journalists, sure, but even if someone slags off Heather for saying that veganism is good for the planet, at least they're hearing the words "veganism is good for the planet".

The issue infiltrates people's minds whether they like Heather, hate Heather, agree with her or not.

Better that than to have no people hear it at all. I'm sure Viva! use Heather as a way of reaching the media and the public with their message, and it works, whatever reaction it causes.
    again, thanks!!!!

Can someone explain all the negative stuff about Paul McCartney ?

Has he not put more cash into veggie groups than anyone else ?

Whatever we as vegans think about Heather Mills she is bad news for our cause as joe public doesn't see past her gold digger image.

cobweb

my 2 pence worth -

Heather has been proven a liar over and over again (most recently because her accounts showed that she only donated a fraction of what she had claimed to have donated to animal charities )

This is a terrible shame because it makes the public doubt her sincerity
    I applaud what she does do for the animals and i believe she is a vegan for the 'right' reasons but i think she does actually sometimes further the stereotype of 'animal rights' lunatic', unfortunately

Paul McCartney - he and Linda did so much to further the cause of animal rights, they mainstreamed vegetarianism and made people think, and put their names and faces to the whole vegetarian 'brand'. I won't slag them off, i do however think it's a shame, and a suprise, that Macca doesn't go vegan. I cannot help but feel he is somewhat put off by the 'extremist' image of such as Heather Mills .

seitan

Quote cobweb View Post
    my 2 pence worth -

Heather has been proven a liar over and over again (most recently because her accounts showed that she only donated a fraction of what she had claimed to have donated to animal charities )
    where did you get this information?

cobweb

it was in a magazine interview with her last P.A, and she had facts and figures to back it up with.

Quote cobweb View Post
    it was in a magazine interview with her last P.A, and she had facts and figures to back it up with.
    And here iirc.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

ooo interesting - what do you believe eh?
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

cobweb

i tend to believe the person with the accounts, there is tax relief to be gained from charity donations so it would all be documented, wouldn't it?

I tend to expect people who are hugely wealthy and who feel wronged by inaccurate articles in the media to sue, as do the producers and editors of such articles. No legal action has been forthcoming as a result of the Dispatches programme.
    Obviously there is a multiplicity of half truths and outright lies being propagated by the media about all kinds of things in regard to Ms Mills but I suspect the Dispatches programme was pretty close to the mark. She can't help but embellish the details of her life when being interviewed for some reason.
    As I said, I have nothing but admiration for her latest 'vegan food charity giveaway' but some of the other facets of her life do tend to make others think of veganism as a 'flakey' choice for damaged people. Ultimately, fuq 'em though.

cobweb

^ all of the above are my sentiments entirely, but it would make a nice change to have a really great, genuine, healthy vegan role model out there in the public eye, someone that many people could relate to in some way.

Quote cobweb View Post
    ^ all of the above are my sentiments entirely, but it would make a nice change to have a really great, genuine, healthy vegan role model out there in the public eye, someone that many people could relate to in some way.
    I wish Pink was really a vegan..

Of course Benjamin Zephaniah is my co-pilot in all things.

cobweb

of course Benjamin Z is great but doesn't really get into the mainstream spotlight, does he?

if only some of these 'vegan' sports stars were actually full-time vegans.........

Quote cobweb View Post
    of course Benjamin Z is great but doesn't really get into the mainstream spotlight, does he?
    Sadly, no. He's just mainstream in this household.

Quote cobweb View Post
    her accounts showed that she only donated a fraction of what she had claimed to have donated to animal charities
    Anyone who enters a squalid intensive pig farm in the middle of the night with a video camera doesn't need to embellish anything they've done for charity, in my opinion.

It's a shame if she has blown things about charity donations out of proportion in the past, because stuff like that just doesn't fly with the public. You don't need to exaggerate what you do for charity anyway if you're at least doing something, and i believe she's done a hell of a lot.

but the public probably aren't aware of most of it.

cobweb

Anyone who enters a squalid intensive pig farm in the middle of the night with a video camera doesn't need to embellish anything they've done for charity, in my opinion.

It's a shame if she has blown things about charity donations out of proportion in the past, because stuff like that just doesn't fly with the public. You don't need to exaggerate what you do for charity anyway if you're at least doing something, and i believe she's done a hell of a lot.

but the public probably aren't aware of most of it.

that was my own point, in a way..........having said all that, though, she can afford to do even more, just think what we could all do with many millions of pounds

Yes, I think rich and famous vegans are TOO quiet about veganism. If I was famous I'd never shut up about being vegan, I'd be on 'This Morning' cooking vegan food and boring Fern and Philip to death with my vegan chats!
    I'd go on the Wright Stuff and give Matthew Wright a good talking to aswell.............he'd soon stop all that fishing malarky!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

oh - hark at you tis fighting spirit that!

Quote sandra View Post
    Yes, I think rich and famous vegans are TOO quiet about veganism. If I was famous I'd never shut up about being vegan, I'd be on 'This Morning' cooking vegan food and boring Fern and Philip to death with my vegan chats!
    I'd go on the Wright Stuff and give Matthew Wright a good talking to aswell.............he'd soon stop all that fishing malarky!
    You ARE famous, sandra! Don't they know who you are?
    Now I want you to sort out that Richard Bacon please. Bad name, bad broadcaster.
    x

Ha ha! If only I was.................I haven't heard of this Richard Bacon fellow..........I'll have to look into him and sort him out!

seitan

its amazing what people expect of others, while probably not following the suit themselves.
    its a shame heather isnt perfect, like most people here. and i guess its a shame shes donating money, raising awareness, getting her hands dirty and IS vegan.
    what a fuckin bitch she is................

I think she's obviously doing a lot for others generally.
    I just wish that she'd be more considered in the responses she gives in interviews if she continues to maintain a high profile for her veganism to the media. But like I said, ultimately, fuq 'em. She's at least giving to others when the media are often merely taking from them.

This brief filmed interview with McCartney shows how just radical he is these days...erm.

cobweb

Quote seitan View Post
    its amazing what people expect of others, while probably not following the suit themselves.
    its a shame heather isnt perfect, like most people here. and i guess its a shame shes donating money, raising awareness, getting her hands dirty and IS vegan.
    what a fuckin bitch she is................

i don't think anyone here feels themselves to be perfect, BUT, if i had that much money, especially money that came so easily (e.g from a very short marriage!) and i cared so much about animals (which i do, like many of us here), i would be making an impact. Hopefully, also, i might have enough sense to resist lying and fantasising whilst under constant public scrutiny.

Some of us here (including you, Seitan, i expect) have done a lot for veganism/AR without a word of thanks or a penny of payment, and maybe some of us feel a little alarmed at the public face of veganism that Heather presents.

I don't remember anyone calling her an f'ing bitch. Aren't we allowed to discuss people who head up vegan campaigns now?. Are all vegans beyond reproach? .

Stu

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    You ARE famous, sandra! Don't they know who you are?
    Now I want you to sort out that Richard Bacon please. Bad name, bad broadcaster.
    x
    Quote sandra View Post
    Ha ha! If only I was.................I haven't heard of this Richard Bacon fellow..........I'll have to look into him and sort him out!
    He was a disgraced children's TV presenter. He used to present Blue Peter on BBC1, but was caught out snorting cocaine, so they gave him the sack. He has a discussion programme on talk radio now. I always thought he was OK. What has he done that warrants him being sorted out, LMNOP?

Quote Stu View Post
    He was a disgraced children's TV presenter. He used to present Blue Peter on BBC1, but was caught out snorting cocaine, so they gave him the sack. He has a discussion programme on talk radio now. I always thought he was OK. What has he done that warrants him being sorted out, LMNOP?
    I sent this to sandra:
    Richard Bacon is on 5Live on the radio. He has no substance and his knowledge of everything of note restricts him to contentious statements and unfounded platitudes. He was the worst of the broadcasters during the "vegan child gets rickets" furore. He hadn't done enough research to be able to be anything other than sensationalist or in total agreeance with a "nutritionist" who was saying we need to eat meat or take supplements, since he had no contrary information to hand. He does that with everything.
    Ex Blue Peter cocaine scandal p1llock imo.

Stu

OK then! I've only heard him fleetingly, since his show always seems to be on in my local barber's shop when I'm getting my hair cut.

But I still like the idea of a children's telly presenter (especially on the BBC) being a massive hedonist.

Quote Stu View Post
    Why is LMNOP featuring here Stu? Or am I taking you up wrong?

I think HorselessPaul is pointing out the fact that Mr Bacon is less than sympathetic with the vegan cause.

seitan

Quote cobweb View Post
    i don't think anyone here feels themselves to be perfect, BUT, if i had that much money, especially money that came so easily (e.g from a very short marriage!) and i cared so much about animals (which i do, like many of us here), i would be making an impact. Hopefully, also, i might have enough sense to resist lying and fantasising whilst under constant public scrutiny.
    it sounds like you have a problem that she got money out of her divorce. fair play to her! she got what she could and is using it well.
    she is making an impact, but not a big enough impact to some people here. wh ydo people expect so much out of "famous" people? they are only people, just like us. i just wish people would stop putting people like her on pedestals.
    id lie to the press, and the general public.

Quote cobweb View Post
    Some of us here (including you, Seitan, i expect) have done a lot for veganism/AR without a word of thanks or a penny of payment, and maybe some of us feel a little alarmed at the public face of veganism that Heather presents.
    she doesnt ask to be the public face of veganism.
    pretty much, shes damned if she does, damned if she doesnt.

Quote cobweb View Post
    I don't remember anyone calling her an f'ing bitch. Aren't we allowed to discuss people who head up vegan campaigns now?. Are all vegans beyond reproach? .
    nobody here called her a fuckin bitch (apart from me), i was being sarcastic.
    what makes YOU think heather "heads up a vegan campaign"? i certainly dont think she does, and neither does she. shes using what shes got (fame) to reach out to people, show them whats going on, trying to educate them. she doesnt hink shes some vegan godess speaking for all vegans, shes just doing her bit, like some of us here may or may not do.

seitan

Quote sandra View Post

I think HorselessPaul is pointing out the fact that Mr Bacon is less than sympathetic with the vegan cause.
    he may well be, but appears more important to slag off someone trying to further the vegan cause.
    go figure............

Stu

Quote sandra View Post
    Whoopsie! I read Paul's post (below), and fleetingly looked at the avatar, and thought it was LMNOP for some reason. Stoopid boy, that I am.

Quote Stu View Post
    But I still like the idea of a children's telly presenter (especially on the BBC) being a massive hedonist.
    Indeed, though he's now sadly too much of a "headuparse" to be a serious radio presenter.

Quote sandra View Post
    Yes, I think rich and famous vegans are TOO quiet about veganism.
    With the exception of Moby. He does a good job for the vegan cause.

Anyone old enough to remember Lindy Dingo-ate-my-baby Chamberlain?

That was my life lesson at how little we are able to judge the truth from media reports.

It's all in the cut.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Quote pat sommer View Post
    Anyone old enough to remember Lindy Dingo-ate-my-baby Chamberlain?

That was my life lesson at how little we are able to judge the truth from media reports.

It's all in the cut.
    yes I do and I know exactly what you mean -strange case all round. We need that rope of wonder woman!

Quote seitan View Post
    he may well be, but appears more important to slag off someone trying to further the vegan cause.
    go figure............
    Wrong and bang out of order.
    Read my posts please and you will find that I have supported her charitable vegan works, just not her bizarre public ramblings about herself and her life.

Why don't people leave her alone? And why is it vegans who are so nasty to her?
    Eve

Quote eve View Post
    And why is it vegans who are so nasty to her?
    Who are these people of which you write?

'these people' are the ones I just listed, quoting from the three pages on this topic, but when I changed pages, my posting disappeared. I do recall, horselesspaul, that you had a nasty post about her, but there were many more far worse, and this is just from our own VF! Can't be bothered to do it all over again, so if you want to know of whom I wrote, just read through the posts for yourself.
    Eve

Seems a bit lop-sided for vegans not to complain about vegans. Surely that would be very wrong - if someone has controversial views and you didn't question them because both you and they were vegan - that would show an unfortunate and short sighted bias - no?

Quote seitan View Post
    im confused by the idea that people wil lnot go veg*n because they met/saw/know someone who is, but is a loon.
    if these people DONT go veg*n because of that i really question their motives and sincerity in the first place!
    You're probably right, however given that we vegans are still such a tiny minority then each individual who is vegan can have a significant impact on how 'normal' people view our diet/lifestyle.

For example, I don't know even one other vegan in the real world (), so to all the people I work/socialise with I represent pretty much their only experience of veganism. If I come across as aggressive/self-righteous/nuts then, rightly or wrongly, this is going to cloud their view.

Quote eve View Post
    I do recall, horselesspaul, that you had a nasty post about her, but there were many more far worse, and this is just from our own VF! Can't be bothered to do it all over again, so if you want to know of whom I wrote, just read through the posts for yourself.
    Please be bothered to quote my "nasty post".
    Louis will unfortunately probably just expose her flakey side, which she surely has, because it will look more contentious and "interesting" on television.
    Good on her though with the food donation thing.
    I thought this was one of the more balanced pieces about her.
    Heather has been talking b0ll0cks about her life since her days as a glamour model and after her 'accident'. I just don't think she thought it mattered. It made perfect ammunition for the press when they wanted to use it.
    I tend to expect people who are hugely wealthy and who feel wronged by inaccurate articles in the media to sue, as do the producers and editors of such articles. No legal action has been forthcoming as a result of the Dispatches programme.
    Obviously there is a multiplicity of half truths and outright lies being propagated by the media about all kinds of things in regard to Ms Mills but I suspect the Dispatches programme was pretty close to the mark. She can't help but embellish the details of her life when being interviewed for some reason.
    As I said, I have nothing but admiration for her latest 'vegan food charity giveaway' but some of the other facets of her life do tend to make others think of veganism as a 'flakey' choice for damaged people. Ultimately, fuq 'em though.
    I think she's obviously doing a lot for others generally.
    I just wish that she'd be more considered in the responses she gives in interviews if she continues to maintain a high profile for her veganism to the media. But like I said, ultimately, fuq 'em. She's at least giving to others when the media are often merely taking from them.

This brief filmed interview with McCartney shows how just radical he is these days...erm.