Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: People commenting about your weight

Default Re: People commenting about your weight

I definitely get comments about being thin, but I'm pretty sure that happened before I was vegan too. My family thinks I need to gain weight. My mom always stocks up on vegan junk food for when I visit home. It's sweet! I think I must have a fast metabolism as well. Hope it doesn't slow with age or anything..

I have a similar issue, only I don't lift weights, and have a hard time keeping on either fat or muscle.
    I don't mind being petite, but it is annoying to have to explain I'd look this way whatever I was eating.
    If you're ok with how you look, don't worry about what someone who probably isn't happy with how they look has to say.

As a skinny guy people are always commenting on my weight, usually negatively. And when they find out I'm vegan I never hear the end of it... The worst part is I feel like I'm giving veganism a bad name since people associate my slight build with my diet and probably assume I'm sickly or malnourished, when in fact I've been my current weight forever, including before I was vegan or vegetarian. Kind of makes me feel like I'm wasting my time by making the effort to eat healthily too, I guess.

Quote jimmeh View Post
    Same here. I lost about 6 stones in a year (I'm 6ft so I didn't look that big to begin with). I stopped losing weight about a year ago but so many people still come up to me with the 'concerned face', saying "are you still losing? Just stop now, ok?". Why is it fine to be rude to people who have actually benefited themselves by losing weight but not to overweight people who are more in need of it than me?
    Me three. I went on a diet at the same time as becoming a vegan, so as to do everything in one big hit, lost the weight, and got healthy (way more fruits and veg of course!) and was then repayed by being frog-marched down to the local clinic to make sure I wasn't anorexic! Luckily I saw the funny side, since I wasn't the one embarassed about making rediculous accusations, but I did feel bad about wasting the nurse's time...

When I first went vegan I was 5'10" and 110 lbs (which was actually pretty good, for me).... Now after being vegan for over a year I am 135 lbs. I've never weighed this much in my entire life, and I look great! The vegan diet has given me a reason to have a healthy relationship with food, finally. I always had eating disorders until I went vegan. Veganism saved me. Another vegan victory!

patientia

When people find out you are a vegan, you are going to be considered either too skinny or too fat, sometimes both (from different people, and skinny-fat from bodybuilders).

I can't stand it when people make stupid comments like this. Last week my next door neighbor says, "You need to get some meat on your bones. You need to start eating meat again!" Yeah, right. This old lady that lives in my building calls after me the other day while I'm walking my dog: "You don't want to get too thin, you know!" I'm 5'4 and weigh around 106. Before going vegan I was about 112. The weight I lost was stomach/waist fat from constantly eating fast food and junk. My own mom was harping on me about being too skinny until I told her my Doctor was very happy with my weight. My mom actually said she wished I still ate dairy was a vegetarian, not a vegan!

^ My sister is a bit like that too. My family kind of freaked out when I became vegan, cos I was already very lean, and well now I am even more so. I am constantly being told that I am too skinny. But I eat the right food, and plenty of it! My BMI is low, I know, but that really is not the greatest indicator of health etc.
    I hate it when I'm studying and a velociraptor throws bananas on me.

The only people I can think of who've made (negative) comments on my weight have been other vegans.

The judges at judo gradings would gesture about my weight, and that would usually end up in some kind of fight. I try not to go there any more.

My brother usually lets me know how skinny I am, ... his BMI is usually highest [clinically obese] when he has less than ten percent body fat, due to periodic physical strength fixations.

I've met plenty of people for whom "weight" generally translates to how fat they look, or how sexually non attractive they feel.

I suppose I would not be happy about people commenting how useless I would be at satisfying them, or their criteria for some position if I was interested in adopting that role.
    Problematic is waking someone whom pretends to sleep.

patientia

Look at these photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7736776...7602199008819/

I would never think some of these people are overweight, let alone obese. BMI is one-dimensional, it doesn't work for teenagers, pregnant women, athletes...

^^A Shapely Prose fan on Vegan Forum? It's like all my interrnet hangouts are merging!
    "Keep your friends close and your enemies so close... you're almost kissing."

Quote mariana View Post
    The only people I can think of who've made (negative) comments on my weight have been other vegans.

Shame on them!

patientia

Quote buttons View Post
    ^^A Shapely Prose fan on Vegan Forum? It's like all my interrnet hangouts are merging!
    I have just discovered them Found that link somewhere.

I hate people commenting on my weight! Whether they are saying good or bad things. It makes me feel self-conscious, in a bad way.

I'm 168cm / 5'6'' and use to weigh about 58kg / 127.6lbs not skinny at all. Anyway, I wasn't over weight before, but felt bigger than I should be. Recently I lost 4kg / 8.8lbs not through trying though, just because I've been very sick. So now I weigh 54kg / 118lbs still not underweight, as far as I'm aware. And everyone keeps telling me I look SO skinny. Yeah right! And I didn't do it on purpose I've been sick, so leave me alone.

I've also had so many weight comments just because I'm vegan...eg.
    I was the same weight after I went vegan as I was before I went vegan for ages, and before I went vegan my grandmother was always telling me I had a big bum, after I went vegan she was always saying things like..."Oh my god, you're so skinny your hip bones are jutting out, it doesn't look good, you need to eat some 'real' food."
    Another time whilst having a conversation with my ex-boyfriend, Natalie Portman came up, and I commented on her being vegan. And he was like "It figures." When I asked him why he said because she is skinny. I said she looks healthy and is probably naturally petite and just because you're vegan doesn't mean you're gonna be skinny. And then he was like "Well you're skinny!" Seriously he must not have looked at my arse for a long time. Lol.
    And then one of the rudest things, was when I was chatting to some random guy online...I had been on cam to him before but he had only seen me from the shoulders up...and he knew I was vegan...one time I was on cam to him...and got up to do something...I happened to be wearing a reasonably low-cut, tight fitting top...when I got back he said "Wow, I can't believe your boobs are so big, I always figured you had an eating disorder because you're vegan. Actually you probably still do and your boobs are fake." I mean what the fuck, who says that to someone, he was half joking, but still not cool.
    And for the record my boobs are real...unfortunately so is my bottom. Lol.
    Also the only time I've had anything close to an eating disorder was well and truly before I went vegan and it didn't last long, and I never got ridiculously skinny.

And for a very long time now, I've eaten very healthily and exercised regularly, and been within a healthy weight range, and like to think I look healthy with the right amount of fat, muscle, and bones, showing in the right places. When people make comments that make me doubt that, it's very disheartening. When they do it because I'm vegan, that makes me want to stab them in the eye too. Lol.

Wow...I kind of went on a bit, just an issue that gets to me I suppose, especially in recent times. Haha. I'll shut up now.
    Live honourably by becoming what you pretend to be. - Socrates

Quote Laura(Go vegan) View Post
    I figured that at least some of the vegans on here would have this problem and hopefully help. I'm 5'4" and 115llbs and very healthy. I lift weights 4 times a week and have been a vegan for a few weeks and a vegetarian for eight months. Although I'm actually really strong and healthy I'm petite and therefore I guess some people think I don't eat.

Random strangers will come up to me and say in a very rude way that I need to eat or that I'm too skinny. The other day I was promoting beer at a wine/food show (I work in the event promotions industry) and this guy told me to go over to his booth to get food. I was talking to him and asked if he had any vegan dishes and explained the no meat, dairy, egg thing and he practically shouted in a very rude way "NO WONDER YOUR SO SKINNY". At least five people after him throughout the day commented on my weight saying I needed to eat or I was too skinny. People do this ALL the time and even when it doesn't come out rude it just gets annoying after a while.

Why is it OK to comment on someone's weight if they are skinny but not the other way around? Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can say to these people? I don't want to be rude back but I do want to stand up for myself. I'm just getting so frustrated with this. Thank you in advance for any helpful advice
    You ask if its ok to comment about someones weight if they are 'skinny', Well I can tell you, it's very hurtful when you are a plus-size & eating healthy food* & walking everywhere to lose that excess baggage & being called an 'effing fat cow or worse, yes I have been verbally rude with added hand signals, only as these Idiots can just about understand either one! Yes it is very frustrating trying to explain over & over again, especailly those that give that blank look when you try to give your reasons. * I dont eat any vegan ice cream, cakes or biccys! just home grown veggies & salads & homemade soups - only as I know whats gone in to it!!

Sorry to hear about your experiences Dawny.

Some people are just mean because of a flaw in their personality. Having been anything from a very skinny size 4 to a rather large size 16, I've had verbal abuse at both ends of the scale and they both sting like mad.

I will say people feel its more okay to bring it up if you are underweight than overweight. Its not normally phrased in a way that's meant to be rude, but its still a comment on ones appearance when its not really their business.

When I was very skinny I did suffer from an eating disorder (I'm in recovery now) and had people being incredibly rude about it at the time... Oddly those same people weren't found outside A&E laughing at people in wheelchairs, but as we all know people with mental illness choose to be ill

Basically, nope, it's not cool to make comments about other appearances unless they are specifically asked for... but some people can only feel they are 'OK' by making people who are different to them out to be 'wrong' in some way.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

BlackCats

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    When I was very skinny I did suffer from an eating disorder (I'm in recovery now) and had people being incredibly rude about it at the time... Oddly those same people weren't found outside A&E laughing at people in wheelchairs, but as we all know people with mental illness choose to be ill
    I think that is so true. People don't seem to understand that eating disorders are a mental illness. I have had friends with ED's that have had terrible treatment from their GP's.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I think that is so true. People don't seem to understand that eating disorders are a mental illness. I have had friends with ED's that have had terrible treatment from their GP's.
    When I first realised things were getting out of hand and I went to see my GP I was told 'try to think happy thoughts and drink citrus juice to stimulate the appetite'. Useless prat even told me that at my 'weight their was nothing to worry about'. It doesn't matter if you weigh 60lbs or 160lbs, eating no more than a small salad and a miso soup once a day is something that needs looking into. A few months and a heck of a lot lighter I saw a different doctors and they were to much more helpful. I feel if I had seen her first time then I might have been able to avoid getting as sick as I did.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Ms derious, thanks for your post, I must look a right pencil neck!! Lol. My sister has had the eating disorder also, very hard to watch someone to put themselves through it, My Sis still slim but now a healthy weight plus she's taller than myself she's 5'10 & I'm the shorty 5'3!! I know how mean people can get, though if people that insult me are close enough to hear my rather scathing insults to see their faces pull the 'oh God...did she really say that?' is priceless! For obvious reasons I cant put in what I say/call them as it's too rude!

BlackCats

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    When I first realised things were getting out of hand and I went to see my GP I was told 'try to think happy thoughts and drink citrus juice to stimulate the appetite'.
    I had a friend at sixth form with an ED and her GP said to her how disgusting she looked with her bones sticking out.

Blackcats that is just plain crazy for someone in the profession to have so little understanding isnt it?

BlackCats

Quote Dawny View Post
    Blackcats that is just plain crazy for someone in the profession to have so little understanding isnt it?
    I know, it was awful.

I cannot believe people would comment on others weight! It's so rude!!

I have people comment on my health (even though I'm extremely healthy compared to all my friends). I just tell them that the doctor has given me a clean bill of health and that I'm one of the healthiest people he's ever had a patient for Slight exaggeration as I have bad circulation, and he's never really said that I'm the healthiest, but it shuts people up whenever I say that! So if you're skinny, that's what I would say!

And if you're overweight and someone comments on your weight, you can just say you have a thyroid problem! And then they will feel bad about being so rude... I know most people will feel uncomfortable with lying, but it serves these people right for being rude! I do it all the time if strangers say something rude! Like if people find out that I'm vegan and start harassing me for it, I get really upset and say it's because I'm allergic to all animal products. Then they feel bad, and then I'm like "nahhhh, not really, I just wanted to make you feel bad for being rude!". Or one my friend who is overweight tried when someone commented on her weight, "I just put this all on over the year since my (insert friend or relative) died". I know it's so naughty to say this but it's fun teaching peoples lessons that they shouldn't comment on someones person who they know nothing about!!

patientia

I have a thyroid problem, but saying that doesn't make them stop harassing me. They usually claim that I have a thyroid problem because of my veganism (although it started while I was still a meateater).

Hi Tishy! I dont need to say I have thyroid trouble for being over weight, what come out of my mouth upsets them enough!!Lol . I have lost 28Lbs in a year & still losing, I lost 28lbs the year before going vegan I was veggie & I do quite alot of walking so I have gone from an Enlish size 24 to an English size 18. Yes still over weight, though I dont feel that the heart-attack on a plate bregaide should have any room to call anyone no matter what dress size/weight people are no matter weather slim or fat!!

Quote Dawny View Post
    Hi Tishy! I dont need to say I have thyroid trouble for being over weight, what come out of my mouth upsets them enough!!Lol . I have lost 28Lbs in a year & still losing, I lost 28lbs the year before going vegan I was veggie & I do quite alot of walking so I have gone from an Enlish size 24 to an English size 18. Yes still over weight, though I dont feel that the heart-attack on a plate bregaide should have any room to call anyone no matter what dress size/weight people are no matter weather slim or fat!!
    Woooooo!!! Agreed, I really wonder how some people have the nerve to comment on other peoples appearance.

Patientia, thyroid problems suck! My boyfriends dad has one and he can't consume much soy otherwise it messes him all up (says the unwittingly young girl who made him a cake out of tofu ). It's such a pity as he loves tofu, etc so much! And my boyfriend has a thyroid problem, but he's okay, his doctor told him he needs to increase his salt intake Pretty sure my boyfriends words were "Woooo best advice a doctor has ever given me!!".

patientia

Is salt iodized where you live? I have increased my iodine intake, but that didn't help, I have to take thyroxin.

Hi Tishy! Sorry my friend...just re-read what I typed in, jeez, I sound a right grumpy ol' timer!! Well I guessing I am!! haha! Will look forward to having other disscussions on here with you!! & again sorry for being a grumpy ol' duffer!!!

Hey good for you, Tishy! People can be so incredibly, appalling-ly rude. I just smile and offer a few health/nutrition facts and mention how great I feel now that I'm vegan. Then when I get home I tell my husband what I REALLY wanted to say and he laughs his head off.

Quote patientia View Post
    Look at these photos:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/7736776...7602199008819/

I would never think some of these people are overweight, let alone obese. BMI is one-dimensional, it doesn't work for teenagers, pregnant women, athletes...
    Laurie, who is stepping out of the pumpkin, third pic from left, top row, is adorable!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Rocket Queen

Quote Tishy View Post
    I cannot believe people would comment on others weight! It's so rude!!

I do it all the time if strangers say something rude! Like if people find out that I'm vegan and start harassing me for it, I get really upset and say it's because I'm allergic to all animal products. Then they feel bad, and then I'm like "nahhhh, not really, I just wanted to make you feel bad for being rude!". Or one my friend who is overweight tried when someone commented on her weight, "I just put this all on over the year since my (insert friend or relative) died". I know it's so naughty to say this but it's fun teaching peoples lessons that they shouldn't comment on someones person who they know nothing about!!

Lol that's ace!!
    I am not underweight, I am a pretty 'normal' weight, but I note that if I am ever ill, it's always soemthing to do with being vegan. In other folk's eyes I mean. I can fall down the stairs and it's because I am vegan. I get a cold, it's because I don't eat meat. I look tired, and it's because I don't get enough protein. I always say to folk it's more likely to do with the fact I drink too much wine and don't sleep enough....
    The greatest mistake is to do nothing because you can only do a little.

Quote Laura(Go vegan) View Post
    I figured that at least some of the vegans on here would have this problem and hopefully help. I'm 5'4" and 115llbs and very healthy. I lift weights 4 times a week and have been a vegan for a few weeks and a vegetarian for eight months. Although I'm actually really strong and healthy I'm petite and therefore I guess some people think I don't eat.

Random strangers will come up to me and say in a very rude way that I need to eat or that I'm too skinny. The other day I was promoting beer at a wine/food show (I work in the event promotions industry) and this guy told me to go over to his booth to get food. I was talking to him and asked if he had any vegan dishes and explained the no meat, dairy, egg thing and he practically shouted in a very rude way "NO WONDER YOUR SO SKINNY". At least five people after him throughout the day commented on my weight saying I needed to eat or I was too skinny. People do this ALL the time and even when it doesn't come out rude it just gets annoying after a while.

Why is it OK to comment on someone's weight if they are skinny but not the other way around? Does anyone have any suggestions of what I can say to these people? I don't want to be rude back but I do want to stand up for myself. I'm just getting so frustrated with this. Thank you in advance for any helpful advice

^^ This is because, you are actually fit and probably look awesome and people rarely ever see that these days so they think its out of the ordinary.... ^^

On a side note: I think that talking about people's weight/mass/shape is formed by culture.

In Chile, and most of Latin America, talking about someone's shape is like mentioning the weather or someone's blouse or t-shirt. As soon as a person walks into the room, people say, "Oh, I love your shirt! And look at you! You've gained weight since last time I saw you! At least it's not going to rain today..." The weight comment doesn't have any of the heaviness that it does in the USA or Europe.

In the US and Europe, being fat is a social sign of being lazy, or with low self control, or some other personal "flaw". That association is due to culture. In other cultures, being fat is a sign of power, prestige, and wealth. While in others, weight just has no social status at all and it's like talking about the weather.

So... in the US, people very rarely talk about my weight and veganism. Perhaps it's because I'm a guy, and I'm fit, strong, and look "as I'm supposed to look"; muscular, slim, and fit. Although, on BMI, I'm "overweight". So in the US, no one say's a thing, even when I race with a big "go vegan" on my but.

But in Chile, as soon as I get home to my grandmothers, there is talk about how i've lost weight or gained weight or how my kids look like bones, or don't and who one eats a lot and the other very little. My mom is still called "La Flaca" (the skinny one). That's just what people do there, without the "heaviness" in the US.

That's the problem I've seen with US culture and weight. In US culture being skinny is supposed to mean something. SO is being muscular, and so is being fat or "average" or being short, or tall, etc. It's like our genetics are supposed to say what kind of person we are, or like how much we can work out is a tell tale sign of our ethics.

It's garbage.
    context is everything

Quote kookooforkarma View Post
    ^^ This is because, you are actually fit and probably look awesome and people rarely ever see that these days so they think its out of the ordinary.... ^^

I encounter this occasionally and like to reply that my doctor told me I was one of her healthiest patients and at a perfect weight. I've found this to shut people up and to also (hopefully) think about a: that they are rude; and b: their own lifestyle/food choices.

I have had 'too skinny' (and much worse!) comments since I was a teenager. They always seem to come from people who are obsessed with weight/body shape. It used to get to me but now I don't bother too much because I know I'm healthy and the issue is theirs.

Today alone I saw two articles about 'too skinny' (men prefer curves/skinny is unnattractive and models are too thin). It makes me wonder how younger people, who are naturally slim, can remain confident in their bodyshape with all the guff published in papers using words like 'disgusting' to describe someone who is slim (not even what I would describe as 'skinny'). Hopefully people don't give these articles much credence.

A good comeback someone told me for when someone says "you need to start eating/you're too skinny" etc. is "You can't fatten a thoroughbred!"

Hey Sarah, sorry to hear about your experiences with such rude people. An ex-girlfriend of mine was very skinny and tall, 5'10 and 120 pounds. She would get comments from people all the time about her weight and it would bother her too. Some of these people were her so-called friends. Interestingly enough, the worst comments came from the most over-weight and socially inept ones.

Its tough to say it, but I would ignore it if you can and feel sorry for them for not recognizing they are pushing away another human being. Deep inside they must be lonely if this is the way they attempt to connect with those around them.

LadyPeacock

People are almost commenting on my weight because I am very small (5'6 108), but I just tell them that I work out a lot. I am perfectly healthy and I work out quite a bit, but even when I wasn't training I've always found it very difficult to gain weight. What I've discovered that most people are just jealous about how slim you are and try to put you down for it-ignore them! They're just being spiteful.

Ugh, I hate how the skinny (or even average and healthy these days) seem to be open targets to be poked at in a negative way. In my pre-vegan days I was ill and lost a lot of weight, and people would constantly judge me as 'anorexic' even when I got back to like, 135 pounds! (I am 5'8)... I still get snide 'skinny' comments now at 140, which was my about my natural weight before I was ill, as I have a large bone structure. I just get like, Excuse me?? I'm a really healthy weight and I look good. I have great skin tone and muscle tone since going vegan, and enough chub to not look boney. I'm about a size 6/8. People just seem to have forgotten what normal and healthy looks like, either that or they are simply jealous... I seriously wonder why people waste so much energy on these things; someone has to be either about 90 pounds or 500 pounds before I think to really notice their weight at all, and even then I have the tact to not comment on it. Aren't there more important things to be thinking about, really...?

I just had to add my tuppence-worth to this thread as before I went vegan I weighed 14.5 stone (about 200lbs), and had plenty of comments about my 'generous size', shall we say. 18 months on I am now 140lbs and almost everyone I see on a regular basis has told me I've 'lost too much weight' or I look 'too thin' (which I find hilarious as I am a long way from thin and at 5'6" I am still medically overweight according to my doctor). What irritates me is that everyone who says these things is aware of my change to veganism and seems to use that, in combination with my coincidental weight-loss, as some kind of 'evidence' that veganism is bad. That's so ridiculous. I can't win. At any rate, people who make comments about anyone else's weight need to shush. Apart from anything else it's terribly rude and shows a lack of gentility in the person making the comments. I agree with buttons: rude people will always have something to say, one way or another. To couch it in childish terms, :P on them.

I don't know what charts your doctor is using, Sunflowers, but 140lb at 5'6" is pretty much in the centre of the normal range using an online BMI calculator.
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

you can tell them that according to the body mass index you are a healthy weight. you are on the lower end of the healthy weight spectrum but not underweight. plus, i believe you when you say that you are healthy. the way i see it, america is so terribly overweight and our ideals are so twisted that healthy skinny people are hard to find. a majority of americans are obese, and they are all striving to look like the super models on the magazines. the realistic healthy person should look nothing like either of those two things. so i know that their comments might be annoying but in reality i think that they are just curious and jealous. just be happy that like so many americans you dont have to worry about being overweight and unhealthy.

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    In the US and Europe, being fat is a social sign of being lazy, or with low self control, or some other personal "flaw". That association is due to culture. In other cultures, being fat is a sign of power, prestige, and wealth. While in others, weight just has no social status at all and it's like talking about the weather.

So... in the US, people very rarely talk about my weight and veganism. Perhaps it's because I'm a guy, and I'm fit, strong, and look "as I'm supposed to look"; muscular, slim, and fit. Although, on BMI, I'm "overweight". So in the US, no one say's a thing, even when I race with a big "go vegan" on my but.

But in Chile, as soon as I get home to my grandmothers, there is talk about how i've lost weight or gained weight or how my kids look like bones, or don't and who one eats a lot and the other very little. My mom is still called "La Flaca" (the skinny one). That's just what people do there, without the "heaviness" in the US.
    I agree with you Rodolfo. Cultural standards of beauty differ greatly across cultural boundaries. I am (and have been since before I even hit puberty) very tall & pretty slim. I am 6'0" (six feet tall) and 128-132 lbs (pounds). My weight fluctuates from time to time. In the US my friends and other people view my weight as fit or attractive....others are judgmental and assume I have an ED. People in Mexico think I am malnourished and not being fed enough.

Anywho....I am, too, annoyed with the comments. Some people seek my advice on how to stay so lean and fit, others give me weird looks, others talk behind my back, others try to stuff my face with food, and others just think I am stuck up and don't like eating whatever is around. I respect life too much to eat a byproduct of malice and cruelty, which is the reason why I became vegan long ago.
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

All my life I have got comments about my weight, almost everyone think I am an anorexic, but truth is I am not and I feel Supergood. They called me anorexic when I ate meat and drank beer too.. so.. nothing's good for them. I am 182 cm tall and weight is 60 kg.

I hear you Mari...185 cm and 61 kg..criticized for my weight and stuff....I just let people talk. I know I am healthy
    Until he extends the circle of his compassion to all living things, man will not himself find peace (Schweitzer, 1952)

I'm super short, 5'3", and I'm not sure what my weight is now, (higher lbs than I look), but I know my measurements...My ribcage is 29-30", hips are 31", waist is 20". So, I understand the too skinny or skinny comments...typically are said behind the back, also. ((I get annoyed with the, "Wow, she's so strong," remarks...like because I'm a small woman I'm not supposed to be strong? Grrr ))

I usually just shut them up by kicking my motorcycle over and then proceeding to lift it completely alone with just my upper body strength, no sweat, no injuries, lol. Works well, especially when a single guy has issues lifting a 500-600+ lb bike as gracefully as I can. I work out many different ways, each and every day. Body weight, yoga, gymnastics, dance, endurance, etc.

But seriously...People are knee-jerk in the sense of judging a book by it's cover...I try not to worry about it, because I would spend all day thinking about the way people judge me, even just taking a short trip into town to buy groceries. Not worth the effort.

leedsveg

How is it Lara and VA, that the people making the comments are usually the most unhealthy specimens you've ever seen in your life? The best response is to slowly shake your head, give a little smile and no matter what you actually say, think "Sod 'em!" Er, not sure if that reaction is vegan but it's sure human and I think we're allowed a little slack, once in a while!

Leedsveg

No joke, Leedsveg! I don't think these people could run a lap to save their own skin! Trust me, something along the line pops into my mind when I hear these comments. Most people think it's unnecessary for me to even exercise because I "don't need to exercise." I think everyone who can exercise, should. We were given the ability to move and be active for a reason. Otherwise we'd be rocks.