50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Obama

48 96.00%
  • McCain

2 4.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: If the World Could Vote - Obama/McCain

Default Re: If the World Could Vote - Obama/McCain

Maybe it's not a great system... Stall tactics and the like.

But with most of the information in those links I saw our democracy in action. Voted-in politicians, officials by appointed them (indirectly us) working for their parties' beliefs, as well as, the Justices interpreting laws by our system.

That being said, it can be changed or improved through voting. Which leads into the next quote:

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    Part of me has a niggling feeling that they don't try harder to increase the turnout, because the people who don't vote wouldn't vote for them - and would vote for more extreme, one-issue candidates. Who knows.
    Completely agree with this.

And to compound this, I'm seeing consolidation of polling stations in my city. We are told this is due local governmental tight budgets and the lack of turn-out of voters. With tax increases I believe this.

But as a side political benefit a probable lessening of turn out will happen.

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    Super Tuesday should be a national holiday, and make it law that places that are open will allow employees some time of the day to vote. We also need more voting stations and a better system for those who man them.
    We need to make that happen. I would add that we should not allow this to turn into another water-downed PRE CHRISTMAS EARLY BIRD shopping day.

Quote green woman View Post
    [McCain] a purveyor of oven chips.
    That made me laugh

Quote fieldplanner View Post
    We ... should not allow this to turn into another water-downed PRE CHRISTMAS EARLY BIRD shopping day.
    No, there should be massive discount and sale days in all the big shopping centres - but you only get your discount voucher at the polling booth! Even if it means people go along and either spoil their ballot paper, or don't put anything down - that also sends a message about how well supported (or not) a particular party's policies are.

damn our apathy.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Quote missbettie View Post
    damn our apathy.
    I would if i could be bothered!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

*giggle*
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I have a feeling that Obama would be smarter choice and I hope that he will win because the world really needs smat person to be next president in the USA. Palin has so many scary opinions about it how to let people destroy nature that I really hope that she doesn't get anywhere near White House. (Does she really think that it should be leagal to hunt polarbears??)

What comes to taxes I live in the country where we have high taxes and I'm happy to pay those. In here every child has right to good education, the school is free and every kid gets lunch in school, real food not junk. Universities, vocational schools and colleges are free of charge in here too and when you are student in those the goverment supports you with giving small sponsor money to everyone, most of the people does some work too to support themselves but that is big help. There are also low costs in public health care and most of the people use it because it's quite good. I see a lot of good thigs with high taxes thought they do idolise America here quite a lot and it starts to show little by little but I really hope that we don't never go to American system in here.

Sounds like a great place, Virpukka. I would not mind the higher taxes if I got the benefits your people get.

Wasn't it in Finland where there were those murders of children in school? Is it true that Finland has the highest per capita ownership of guns? Or am I confusing Finland with some other country up there?
    Eve

Quote eve View Post
    Wasn't it in Finland where there were those murders of children in school? Is it true that Finland has the highest per capita ownership of guns? Or am I confusing Finland with some other country up there?
    Yes, It was Finland where that atrocity took place.
    But if it's gun ownership yer after look no further than the U.S.A who are well ahead of anyone per capita, 50% more than the 2nd highest which is Yemen!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_o..._gun_ownership

And Finland is a beautiful place. Based on many factors do to with politics, economics, education, civil liberties and social welfare it is ranked the 2nd best country in the world to live in!

Very interesting to see. Obama would get my vote.

Another source states Finland has the world's third-highest gun ownership per capita, following the US and Yemen. About 650,000 of its people have gun licenses, representing 13 percent of the population.

I tend to avoid wikipedia. The above info is from http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum67/16552.html - but yes gogs67, the USA leads.
    Eve

Quote eve View Post
    Another source states Finland has the world's third-highest gun ownership per capita, following the US and Yemen. About 650,000 of its people have gun licenses, representing 13 percent of the population.

I tend to avoid wikipedia. The above info is from http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum67/16552.html - but yes gogs67, the USA leads.
    I was more alluding to the fact that gun ownership or not, Finland is a very good place to live.

I don't know about that gun situation in here. I thought that it's not so easy to get one in here but I can be wrong and if you really want one then you probably find a way to get one no matter what. And yes we had that shooting here, it was second one inside couple years. I think that part of the problem in here is that we idolise so much USA and young people take so much examples from there, in good and in bad. I have spend twice three months in New York and I must say that that time really made me appreciate this social support system what we have. It's not so strong what it use to be but in here people have started to notice it and demand that politics starts to make changes to it so that we don't lose it.

Obama. That's if he lives long enough...

If the Republicans win it would be scarily entertaining to watch that Palin woman go around america and brainwash the weak minded into evangelists and have them speaking in tongues...
    k thx bai

Quote Manimal View Post
    If the Republicans win it would be scarily entertaining to watch that Palin woman go around america and brainwash the weak minded into evangelists and have them speaking in tongues...
    Scary indeed.
    There's a documentary series on BBC2 starting this Friday called The American Future- A History which is presented by historian Simon Schama and in an interview in the Radio times he says that Sarah Palin is so far to the right she makes George Bush look like Karl Marks. His points out that should McCain be elected and die in office (he is 72 and hasn't been a well man) Palin would take over the presidency which is scary in the extreme.

Quote green woman View Post
    Scary indeed.
    There's a documentary series on BBC2 starting this Friday called The American Future- A History which is presented by historian Simon Schama and in an interview in the Radio times he says that Sarah Palin is so far to the right she makes George Bush look like Karl Marks. His points out that should McCain be elected and die in office (he is 72 and hasn't been a well man) Palin would take over the presidency which is scary in the extreme.
    I can't agreed more. If that happens it really is scary picture because what I have read from Palins opinions in many topics...well lets just say that I really hope that she doesn't get even her smallest toe in the White House.

I see she's givin it tight to Obama for his tenuous links wi Prof Bill Ayres. The merest whiff of the word 'terrorism' may be enough for some of that shit to stick though in a few of the voters minds.

And this is from Jack Cafferty the other day!

The guys great.

And his sidekick... "Should the need God forbid ever arise."

I mean I know what we're supposed to think he meant, but I think we all know what he meant.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2a0jKw-OlY0...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2a0jKw-OlY0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Quote Virpukka View Post
    Palin has so many scary opinions about it how to let people destroy nature that I really hope that she doesn't get anywhere near White House. (Does she really think that it should be leagal to hunt polarbears??)
    I'm not sure about polar bears, but she definitely wants to make aerial hunting (shooting from helicopters/planes) for wolves and bears legal. I always get the feeling that when she speaks to the nation she pretends we're all in second grade. She's very condescending. I hate her.

Quote scarlet begonias View Post
    I'm not sure about polar bears, but she definitely wants to make aerial hunting (shooting from helicopters/planes) for wolves and bears legal. I always get the feeling that when she speaks to the nation she pretends we're all in second grade. She's very condescending. I hate her.
    I read about that polarbear thing from some magazine in here where they had article about her and her opinions.

It's just so scary to watch from here how this is going to end because it has big impact to other parts of the world too who is the president in USA. Of course people who votes think how it's going to impact to their life and they pick candinate based on that but... I really hope that the outcome is good to everyone.

The results to this poll suprise me very little!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote eve View Post
    sorry to go off-topic but the gun laws of any particular country have very little to do with the occurrence of mass shootings. this sort of thing happens all over the world, including the UK, New Zealand and Australia, where gun ownership is very different to countries such as the US.

just my tuppence worth

what do you call a pit bull with lipstick? a bitch.

sorry, couldn't resist
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

Obama.
    My little girl said "Sarah Palin's not nice, she likes shootin' things. Why?"

Awwww...

Quote pat sommer View Post
    what do you call a pit bull with lipstick?
    pretty!....in a bad dog you got into mommy's makeup kind of way

Obama 100%.

The thought that Palin could be V.P is very scary. She would set women's rights back by about 100 years....
    vegan and proud.

Mahk

I can't help but think Tina Fey's spot on impersonations of Palin on Saturday Night Live will have a substantial effect on the election. People can't stop talking about them at work, at home, and on the news. Copyright laws, I believe, have prevented the full unexpurgated versions from hitting YouTube but since the news media has reproduced large segments of them people have cleverly reposted those for all to view.

Do current SNL shows air outside the US?

Here are some funny highlights:
    [YOUTUBE]X5E6CzL9EKQ[/YOUTUBE]

I can't find what I consider to be the funniest one though. During the VP debate Tina pulls out a flute and says,"Oh, are we not doing the talent portion of the contest?" [Flute was Palin's "talent" when she was a beauty pageant contestant.] LMAO.

Quote Mahk View Post
    I can't find what I consider to be the funniest one though. During the VP debate Tina pulls out a flute and says,"Oh, are we not doing the talent portion of the contest?" [Flute was Palin's "talent" when she was a beauty pageant contestant.] LMAO.
    Excellent, Mahk. Thanks for that, we don't get SNL here as far as I can tell.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote missbettie View Post
    i've actually had quite a few people say that they only reason they are voting for McCain is BECAUSE of Palin. I don't understand why though, she is absolutly terrifying.
    I'm more scared of Obama because of his pro abortion polices. He's going to allow abortion right until birth which I find totally unethnical.

Wheras Palin's stand on abortion apeals to me greatly. She's really going to do something to stop women murdering their children if she gets in. She's also got a child with Downs syndrome and says he's a 'blessing'. So she will be very much a possitive influence for those with disabilities. I know she's no animal lover but then none of them are. When asked by an animal rights activist what he would do for the animals Obama said he'd get his daughter a pet dog!
    So precissly NOTHING. At least Macaign said he believed in ethnics in research so we have a foothold there at least if we can convince him that ethnics in rearch should also apply to animals as well as embryos.

Quote dreama View Post
    She's really going to do something to stop women murdering their children if she gets in.
    Only the unborn ones. The resentment of unwanted parenthood can last a lifetime even if it never amounts to actual murder, only systematic abuse and neglect..
    The poor will stay poor and will die younger than the rich which is a tenet of Republican politics even Sarah Palin understands.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

And the Republicans have never minded sending young men to face death as soldiers.
    Eve

Quote dreama View Post
    So she will be very much a possitive influence for those with disabilities.
    But what is her stand on the health service? Are the Republicans going to do anything to make health care more accessible to the poorer sections of the population? I'm sure disabled children are a "blessing" to those who can afford to give them the necessary care (like Palin), less so for those who cannot afford the medical bills.

Quote eve View Post
    And the Republicans have never minded sending young men to face death as soldiers.
    To be fair, most governments are happy to go down that route if there's something in it for them!

I'd like to know how Palin is going to financially and emotionally provide care for the unwanted children she is supposedly "saving". Her abortion policies make me want to strangle someone, preferably her.
    vegan and proud.

^ Yes!

Quote dreama View Post
    I'm more scared of Obama because of his pro abortion polices.
    Just my own opinion, but I wouldn't say it is "pro abortion", but rather pro choice. I don't think anyone is actually for abortion. Like he said in one of his interviews, he recognises that it's a very difficult choice for women and certainly not one that is taken lightly - he trusts women to make that choice.

As for Sarah Palin, I know that the media can't exactly be relied upon to paint an accurate picture of anything, but from what I've seen of this women so far, it really is terrifying. I think Sharon Osbourn referred to it as being like a "bad Disney movie" or something, and I would say that hits the nail on the head! You couldn't make that stuff up. Shocking

[oh, and thanks for posting that video, Mahk!]
    "Born on the same planet, Covered by the same skies..."

Obama
    "The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking." -byron

One ray of hope for a possible Obama victory is that McCain is not a natural leader. He is essentially a a Forest Gump type who started in a high position and was carried along by life.

His father and grandfather were admirals so he joined the navy. His navy career stagnated so he found a wealthy second wife. With his father-in-law's money he easily became a Republican senator in the most right-wing part of the country. With this he had a cushy, unchallenged job for the rest of his life. He ran for president in 2000 and was trounced in the primary by an unqualified but more agressive George Bush. Now he has lost control of his campaign to the visible extent of having an unknown from Alaska forced on him as a running mate.

Maybe a natural leader like Obama will bring an end to this Richard Nixon era we are living in and lead the nation back to the liberalism we lost.

dreama...fyi, Palin's stance on abortion is that she finds it wrong no matter what. That includes if a woman gets pregnant through rape or incest. Is this what you consider a good idea?? Who the hell is she, or anyone for that matter, to have the audacity to think that she should have the right to decide what any woman does with THEIR OWN body!?!?

Sarah Palin is a power hungry, LYING, radical rightwing religious freak! And of all people to think that she has the right to say what woman should do when faced with the circumstance of unplanned pregnancy...lets see...who's decision was it to keep the baby and force an engagement between Palin's teenage daughter and boyfriend? It was their own decision, and no one else's business. Why is it that it's ok for someone to have a choice, only when it coincides with what they think is right??
    i think it is arrogant & obnoxious to try to tell someone what they should choose to do with their own body. their lives and the possible lives of UNWANTED children are at stake. Do we really need another resented child in this world?
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

btw, i saw mention of the McCrazy/Palin camp trying to bring Obama down about the ridiculous notion of ties to William Ayers.

Do they really want to bring up ties to scandals??

Scandals like McCain tied to Iran/Contra? Or perhaps like the ol' Keating 5? cant leave out Palin and Troopergate? or the fact that she agreed with charging women for rape kits! (plenty of links on that one. scroll down for her documented signature)

something tells me the repubs would have us all beat on the scandal subject.
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Mahk

I found a full version of last Saturday's spoof. "Palin" addresses shooting wolves from helicopters, "the institution of marriage", the cause of global warming, and other stuff. Sorry about the repetition from the previous video but it's worth it to see the whole thing.

Quote veggiemaya View Post
    btw, i saw mention of the McCrazy/Palin
    McCrazy Nice.
    And crazy indeed! That evil duo wants to challenge and destroy the Roe v. Wade case! I can't wrap my head around those who would give an arm and a leg to make sure every possible baby is born. Don't people recognize that the increasingly large human population is harming the planet AND the people themselves?

Quote scarlet begonias View Post
    McCrazy Nice.
    And crazy indeed! That evil duo wants to challenge and destroy the Roe v. Wade case! I can't wrap my head around those who would give an arm and a leg to make sure every possible baby is born. Don't people recognize that the increasingly large human population is harming the planet AND the people themselves?
    Scarlet...I am so glad to see that there are others that share that view! I know that point sometimes comes across as shocking to some people to hear. But its the truth..there are too many people in this world already! Too many people struggling to make ends meet. And at this point..by the time all of these children that are being born now are our age... just imagine the shape that this entire world will be in.

If yer gonna argue against stoppin abortion then i don't think that 'there are too many people on the world already' is a very good way to go about it! What America does with it's abortion laws will have no real effect on the booming worldwide population as a whole!
    In fact it's not a great argument full stop!
    'It's ok for us to be alive but we don't want too many more sharing our space' is what it can sound like!
    I am pro choice by the way, i disagree wholeheartedly with Palins views but i don't view the subject as a form of population capping!

gogs, my opinion is that everyone is entitled to do what they want with their own body. that is the argument that i make whenever the subject of abortion is brought up. being pro choice does not mean being pro abortion. that is not what i am trying to say.
    but if you took the option of abortion off the table..try to imagine the chaos. imagine what it would be like for the teenagers that made a mistake and now have to raise a child when they are not even adults themselves. how will that effect the child? or try to imagine the adult family that suddenly realizes they have another mouth to feed when they can barely afford the family they have already. this all adds to more stress..on the individual..on the economy...

over population is not an argument worth running with when trying to defend the right to choice. but it is a fact..and its something to take in to consideration.

I'm pro-condoms!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Stu

Quote veggiemaya View Post
    my opinion is that everyone is entitled to do what they want with their own body.
    But it's not their own body, is it?

before this turns into an abortion debate ... there already is one here
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.