Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: vegan food in hospitals?

WildWitch

Default Re: vegan food in hospitals?

Wishing everyone here whos been suffering recently best of health and speedy recoveries.

thanks a huge bundle
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.

I've recently been discharged from the hospital. I had much better luck this time! A dietician came up to see me and was very knowledgable about vegan diets. She offered to go to the store to get any food I wanted! I essentially wrote down exactly what I wanted at each meal, and she organized the kitchen staff to get it to me! And she got me some vegan soy milk, egg-free noodles, etc. It was a much better experience this time! Made my stay much easier.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

OMG how good is your hospital and insurance!?!?!?
    hope you're well now

Yeah. The hospital is decent, but the dietician is really the one who made it happen. She could tell it was important to me, I guess. My insurance is pretty good, too. They've paid about $22,000 of my bills.

...And thanks.

helen105281

It's wonderful to hear of a good experience in hospital re vegan food etc. Hope you're feeling ok.

I got a meal of pasta with sauce and mushrooms and veggies. I was never in for more than a day, though, but I went in several days, and so got pretty hungry. If it's possible, it's a good idea to always keep something like larabars or clif bars or something on hand, so that if you do have an emergency or have to suddenly go to the hospital for hours on end and not get back until 1 am, then you will have something to tide you over. Once I get more organized in my life, I plan to have one on hand everywhere I go!

Thanks, Helen. I'm having some trouble with my insurance company right now... which is just adding stress to the situation. But I am feeling slightly better and hoping things continue to improve.

Prawnil

Thumbs up Re: vegan food in hospitals?

I've just got out of the QMC Nottingham, where I was given a special dairy-free menu to choose from. The vegan options were clearly labelled and were:
    Fruit juice; Bean & Vegetable Hot Pot; Carrots/Cabbage; vegan gravy; mashed potato/ wedges; apple crumble; soya custard; soya yoghurt; soya milk pudding; jam sponge; tinned fruit; Fruits; soya milk & soya margarine.
    And I was offered soy milk for my tea!
    It was about the soggy, crappo quality of first school canteen lunches, but even the staff joked about that, and altogether seeing all of the options that I'd been anxious about overjoyed me. A positive experience, I felt.

Hey, Prawnil - that sounds great! Glad you had such a positive experience. Also, good to hear you are out of hospital! Hope you are well.
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

I was flying with British airways not to long ago... when dinner came they offered two choices, chicken with pasta and beef ravioli. I asked if they had something that didn't have meet on it, as I was vegan. The stewardess looked confused, disappeared for a moment, and came back, saying that they did have no-meat options. I could have a mozzerella sandwich with basil or a tuna fish sandwich. I looked at her and almost said "you know tuna comes from a fish..." but somehow restrained myself. Finally I got them to just give me a couple rolls of bread and I ate that.

I've had other horrible experiences with other airlines, but this one probably tops them all.
    "If the System hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you." -Jesus (John 17:11).

that's great prawnil, I good sign that we're getting more accepted.
    Glad you're out of hospital too.

Did you book a vegan meal before the flight LP?

Quote bradders View Post
    Did you book a vegan meal before the flight LP?
    Is that how it works? Well I was traveling with a group using a travel company, and I guess they should've told British Airways that sort of thing. I remember I specifically told them I was a vegan so they did know. I guess my anger was misdirected ...
    "If the System hates you, be aware that it hated me before it hated you." -Jesus (John 17:11).

yep down to the travel company (in experience few book the meals and often just cancel your food altogether if you make a request for some type of meal, best to check with the carrier before travelling to make sure your meal has been booked against your ticket)

LP, there's a whole thread about airline food here

glad you got something to eat Prawnil and hope you're doing ok.

Guess what's for dinner (from the NHS Confederation)

A patient unsatisfied with the food provided to him during his hospital stay has posted pictures of his meals on the internet and asked the public to guess what the dishes are. The 47 year old patient, who identifies himself as Traction Man, said most of the meals at his NHS hospital tasted like "wallpaper paste made with milk". He is believed to be in a hospital in the South West of England. His followers have failed to correctly identify half of the 35 meals featured in online game, Hospital Food Bingo.

http://hospitalnotes.blogspot.com
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

BlackCats

That reminds me when I was in hospital recently the nurse told me that they did have a vegan option available for me. It might have just been chips, veggies, baked beans and bread though. I didn't eat there in the end. She was willing to go and get something suitable though and she seemed to know the word vegan.

That's encouraging, BlackCats!

I think I heard that blog Gorilla posted a link to, or something very like it, being discussed on R4. Maybe something will get done...Mind you although the descriptions and comments on the blog are amusing I have seen worse looking food than that, I'm sorry to say.

Prawnil

Thumbs up Re: vegan food in hospitals?

I spent time at the Royal Hallamshire in Sheffield recently. Both senior radiographers who covered me were extremely friendly, sympathetic pescetarians and the treatment radiographer personally arranged for my dietary needs to be taken care of. On admission day there was a food round, more like snacks since it was outside meal times, but since that was before arrangements had anything to do with my personal records I arranged the food myself - it would typically have been a sandwich box, and the staff couldn't assure me that there was an option for me as they're bought in offsite and never to order (which the staff were apologetic about, and seemed to genuinely dislike that system and its lack of choices for patients). Instead, they brought up a bag of fruits, which I preferred anyway. I must've had about 4 times the volume of food in decent fruit than I would've done in a sandwich. So I was pleased.
    My ward meal appeared immediately and was a big lentil and potato curry with rice and juice and fruit. I was very happy. I did luckily also have some food from outside (Blue Moon cafe) which I ate instead of the ward breakfast. The ward was a truly amazing one, a real wonder, provided by the Teenage Cancer Trust. It seemed I was put there for my age, and compared to normal wards, it was amazing- and very moving to see what is done in some places for young people who are likely to be suffering. (P.s I don't have cancer, so felt a bit like a fraud.)
    Like any hospital, I'd expect, the food has a similar quality to schools, which might not be ideal, but options were there, and the staff, every single person, were unbelievably kind. I have never come across health service staff who are any other way.

it seems that veg at st thomas' and guy's hospitals in London cook all their veg with butter.
    They can get vegan meals for those who need them but it can take a while. However there are a couple of basic options from guy's café and the restaurant (at both hospitals) that are fine (chips, rice, potatoes, salad, beans and fruit). Soya milk is available but must be prescribed but it can also be purchased from the shops in the hospitals.

leedsveg

Hi Prawnil

I visit Sheffield every week to see my elderly Mum and she's in a nursing home not far from the Northern General Hospital. I get the impression from having visited the Northern General quite a bit over the last 18 months, that the vegan food choice is pretty bad. That's the A & E hospital for Sheffield though so I'll just have to make do if I have a bad accident in that region. I'm glad your vegan food experience of the Hallamshire Hospital was quite positive.

leedsveg

JC

I meant to add my experience of hospital food after my stay for a week in may last year:
    TERRIBLE!
    I'd lost my appetite completely anyway, but it's beside the point... A day or so after my operation, i thought i might try some innocent smoothie my family had brought for me. I asked the nurse if it'd be ok and she said "oh, i don't think they like you to have milky things following an op" so i said "oh, i'm vegan so there's no milk in it, just fruit." this went on for ages and she eventually told me i'd have to ask the doctor. the next day she came up and asked me if the doctor let me have my "milkshake" in the end. I was ready to swing for her...
    I was told i'd have to eat something before i could leave. (I explained multiple times that i was vegan, bear in mind). They arranged for something - i can't remember what it was - to be made specially, it took AGES. And when it eventually came it was smothered in cheese. By the time it got back to the kitchen, it had closed, so i didn't get anything.
    When i finally regained my appetite, the nurse excitedly told me that they had a specially prepared vegan salad, just for me. Great, some food finally! It came, and i kid you not, it was 1 lettuce leaf, 2 slices of cucumber and a slice of tomato. Freakin' joke.
    Another time i was feeling highly nautious and the nurse came and stuck some non-vegan meal right under my nose (i may have shouted at her to take it away - feel kinda bad about that lol!)
    I have "fond" memories of eating salty, soggy, over-cooked veggies the times that i did eat. I think i had one meal that i deemed acceptable the whole time. And on my very last day, a nice nurse took my alpro soya milkshake and make me strawberry porridge. Other than that, that has got to be one of the worst vegan times in my life. If i'd had more of an appetite, i'd have been even more p***ed.

what hospital was that? I want to give them a good talking to.
    They have a legal obligation to meet all dietary needs and most dietary choices (including veganism) and that means a complete breakfast, midday meal and an evening meal with appetiser and desert (for the latter two meals of the day). They have an obligation to provide alternatives to dairy for cereal and tea/ coffee within 24 hours of admission too.
    I recently had a week long stay at St Thomas Hospital and whilst it wasn't great they did get it all sorted within two days (to the point where I had good portions and soya milk).
    But the dietitians are are working with me and the catering staff to work out meal plans for the future and to have some pre-made meals put together in the freezer (on rotation) and a variety for different needs.
    It's already a lot better than it was last year but we're looking at major improvements for vegans there (legislation that came in last year really helped. Essentially vegans should get just as much choice and as much food as anyone else and thanks to the last government that is now enshrined in law.
    General advice is that you should ask to speak to the catering manager (they can usually get them on the phone) or if it comes to it ask for a dietitian. Dietitians tend to be really good with veganism and whatever complex diets you might have and can make the arrangements for food to be sorted out as needed.
    I've spent a lot of time in various hospitls in the last few years and have generally been allright for food overall.
    The single best so far is Imperial College Hospitals (Charing Cross Hospital and Chelsea and Westminster) have 5 vegan options on the standard menu and a total of 11 main meals on the special vegan menu ranging from curries to vegan mac and cheese to various stews.
    Last edited by bradders; Jan 24th, 2011 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typos

JC

Woah, those hospitals sound amazing - vegan mac'n'cheeze?!!
    I was at north staffs.
    What i would have given to have the "luxury" of some soya milk on my cornflakes!
    It wasn't even about the quality of food, i was mad because there was no understanding and barely any attempt to provide for me, yet i got scolded for not eating! If i remember rightly, there was 1 nurse who took me seriously, and wrote VEGAN on my head board so they'd stop messing up. Essentially, if i wanted some food, i had to get my family to bring it in for me. That's not right.

Charing cross is good at hygiene and food but is lacking when it comes to microbiology and gastro-intestinal care unfortunately (not terrible just not fantastic). Even Bolton managed some fairly decent food. For the first two days it was baked potato, beans, and salad or chips, beans, and salad but after that they really started to come up with decent food. If possible it's a good idea to speak to catering managers before going in (though chances are you don't know you're going to hospital until the doctor sends you as an emergency or you get yourself to A&E).
    I'd like to get in touch with the hospital and send them the stuff we're working on at Guy's & St Thomas' Hospitals as they sound like they really need help with catering.

leedsveg

Hi bradders,

When hospital staff are taking down the details of a new patient, you'd think that once a 'restricted diet' has been indicated, there would be a subsequent automatic contact (by visit or phone) with either a dietitian or the catering manager? If this is not the case, then the system already has an inbuilt fault don't you think? For we vegans, the 'restricted diet' label is just as significant as a religious affiliation.

Leedsveg

Milton Keynes General Hospital, at my last stay ...

Basicaly; "Oh, if you want to be fussy go hungry then!"

Unamusingly some poor guy in my ward was suffering with some horrible bowel problem that had him blowing whole new universes (solid, liquid and gaseous) out of his hinderparts. They happily fed him the same bowel rotting filth that had most likely played in a huge part in his unhappy situation in the first place.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Quote Cupid Stunt View Post
    Basicaly; "Oh, if you want to be fussy go hungry then!"
    This is awful, I think I would have made a complaint.. I know the nurses are busy etc Im in the healthcare profession myself but you can't pass judgement on someone's opinions without understanding them.

There's a TV program on Monday about the food the NHS provides, looks interesting.

The Observer recently ran this article by a cardiologist complaining about unhealthy hospital food - don't know if there's a tie-in to the programme?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...on?INTCMP=SRCH

I wouldn't read the comments underneath unless you want to have a cardiac arrest on the spot, though.

I'm really not looking forward to my postnatal stay with bumpling when s/he arrives. I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes so I'll need to stay in for 24 hours with baby to be monitored. That'll be fun to try to explain 'No animal products, low GI'.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Can you set up a dialogue with the catering staff before you have to go in, Ms_Derious? Or arrange for emergency rations to be brought in by friends and well wishers?
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Quote twinkle View Post
    Can you set up a dialogue with the catering staff before you have to go in, Ms_Derious? Or arrange for emergency rations to be brought in by friends and well wishers?
    oooo deffo go with the friends bringing in grub - that sounds great to me!
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Quote twinkle View Post
    Mr_Derious has kindly offered to provide food for me, but really he shouldn't have to. Veganism might be uncommon, but the food on the menu all appears to be really unhealthy junk. Would it kill them to have one option that was both healthy and vegan?

Have prepared a big bag of snacks. Sadly most snack food is kinda junky, but I've done the best I can. Nom, nom, nom tofu jerky.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Thanks Risker

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Mr_Derious has kindly offered to provide food for me, but really he shouldn't have to. Veganism might be uncommon, but the food on the menu all appears to be really unhealthy junk. Would it kill them to have one option that was both healthy and vegan?

Have prepared a big bag of snacks. Sadly most snack food is kinda junky, but I've done the best I can. Nom, nom, nom tofu jerky.
    I so feel for you Ms_Derious. I had an overnight stay in the hospital last August and I was stuck with iceberg lettuce and tomato salad. Luckily my husband found a nearby shop where i could get a veggie sandwich or I would have had to have fasted until I got home. They did have some dry whole grain cereal but, when I asked for soy milk to put on it instead of cow milk, all they had was vanilla flavor. Amazingly, they said they don't stock regular soy milk. How hospitals can have such unhealthy food on their menu and expect people to heal is really beyond me.

I spent some time in Manchester Royal Infirmary recently and was pretty shocked about the food & snacks available - hardly healing foods really, never mind vegan :/

I am so lucky because my boyfriend brought me lots of lovely vegan food, despite being a meat eater himself (I think he got a bit offended on my behalf). I was shocked that the snack cart only had fizzy drinks, crisps, chocolate bars etc, instead of any fresh fruit or healthier snacks. I know they're more expensive but when a small bottle of diet coke costs £1.65, I think they can afford to put some fruit on the menu too!

I'm so glad I wasn't in there too much longer because it seemed to be that zero thought had gone into the nutrition element of patients' care. I think I was quite naive until that point as it was my first ever hospital stay. I was smothering myself in anti-bacterial gel at every opportunity and having bottled water smuggled in......perhaps a little OTT but I didn't fancy their lukewarm jugs o' water!

The menu was like a Wetherspoon's pub lunch menu. As per so many of the comments above, not healing foods at all :/
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

I hope you're better in spite of that, fooldramaqueen. Are you thinking of complaining to the hospital?

Thanks Harpy, I am much better now! I'm really lucky that my boyfriend brought me fresh fruit, peanut butter sandwiches, alpro puds, tofu salad & other bits......much better for my health I'm sure!

I've never actually stayed in hospital before and I was only there for one day & night so I wouldn't be inclined to complain. It's a tricky one because everyone was very nice & thorough and I wouldn't really want to complain about my stay, but I think hospital food is a wider problem and one I would certainly suffer with much more if I was admitted for a longer stay. Then I would definitely complain I think, because not having fresh healthy food when you're being nursed back to health just seems like madness to me :/
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

That's good that you're feeling better.

If you could be bothered, you could always write (e.g. on this page) and tell them how impressed you were with everything else but say you were concerned to note that no healthy/vegan food was on offer etc...always helps to say something nice to sugar the pill.

I appreciate it wasn't a major problem for you but if enough people mention it it might get them to do something about the wider problem. (Sorry to nag but it does seem rather a hard nut to crack. Maybe we should ask the Vegetarian Society to have a go at them since it's probably their local one.)

littlemiss

I think I remember last year that the vegetarian society won some funding to improve vegetarian food in hospitals training the chefs but I dont know how that will impact on vegan food. I work in a hospital and the main option I've seen is jackets and salad (90% shredded lettuce in a cup). I was amazed to discover they make vegan jelly though. I think I have the advantage of knowing how the hospital works that I would ring kitchens from my bed if I had to as special meals need to be ordered every day but at least our hospital does have kitchens as the above mentioned programme pointed out some hospitals have no kitchen to prepare food on site so its all brought in and heated up. Our hospital wont allow patients to reheat food in the microwave either for food hygiene reasons.

Thanks Harpy I'll check out that link

This reminds me of the time I was in hospital and even though I CANNOT have gluten they tried to force me to have toast as I needed "the energy". So ridiculous...and how they special food machine things ALWAYS are full of cakes crisps and ****! I complain everytime and just get strange looks. lol

Makes me dread repeated hospital visits.

I hope other people have more luck!

I know they are trying to increase vegan foods but that doesn't really help me...
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

witchy - it might help you - I tend to find that when places only have one "special" option they try to tick as many boxes as possible, so do away with gluten, nuts, dairy and any other allergens in the same package.

(I think this is what leads some omnis to think vegans in general have such a very restricted diet, in fact. My colleague was making a joke about my paranoia when I thought he'd made a pot of coffee and not offered me any and said "oh yeah, and we waited until you were out of the room until we broke out the gluten-free biscuits as well").
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

No doubt. I suppose it is because on airplanes they have a vegan option OR a gluten free option which makes me think hospitals would do the same.

So basically the food would be everything free just incase? Mmm nutritious air.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

Mind you I think that kind of everything-free food is better than nothing (essentially it would be salad, or maybe steamed veg, and perhaps rice, and then fruit?). You can add your own stuff to it, such as nuts - they could have those in the vending machines in hospitals, although I suppose they might be worried about people with pronounced allergies to nuts...OK, they will have to put lentils in the machines then!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20330229

'A Department of Health spokesperson said: "We want the NHS to serve food for patients that's not only tasty and nutritious, but also sourced ethically.'

Great, vegan food all round then!

Quote harpy View Post
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20330229

'A Department of Health spokesperson said: "We want the NHS to serve food for patients that's not only tasty and nutritious, but also sourced ethically.'

Great, vegan food all round then!
    Just a sneaking suspicion, or three, BUT!

I suspect the NHS were/are simply looking at the cheapest way possible of providing nutritionaly sound meals in it's hospitals. (Partialy that suspicion is based on empirical evidence that 'tasty' and 'nutritous' have historicaly been priorities #102 and #103 (Uri Geller proof cutlery being priority #101) on the NHS catering priority list.

M'secondary suspicion is that once the cost benefits of a meat free catering operation (truly massive!) the fact that the cheapest food also happens to be the most ethical food was simply an unexpected 'gift from the Gods' to the NHS's spin doctors and marketing men.

M'tertiary suspicion is that massive political pressure will be upon the NHS never to actualy prove that a meat free diet, no matter how rebranded, is any way capable of sustaining human life let alone that it may actualy be better for you.
    All done in the best possible taste ...

Yes, unfortunately they're only really on about not buying battery eggs etc, rather than about reducing their use of animal-based foods, but it would be nice if they took their statement about ethics to its logical conclusion :/

Maybe if the caterers are faced with the additional expense of buying non-battery eggs etc they will think about supplying more non meat-based meals on economic grounds, though. That would be something.