Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Nice stuff omni's say

Default Nice stuff omni's say

yeah most of them they cause a lot of (unintentional) offence but today something nice happened. I was in the supermarket and emptied the contents of my basket onto the conveyor belt... usual stuff, veggies, fruit, rice, fairtrade tea and biscuits, a couple of plants, ecological cleaning products... and an older lady behind me said "oh you have a very healthy diet."
    me: "oh thank you"
    her "are you vegetarian?"
    me: "i'm vegan"
    her: "well you look very healthy"
    me: "i've been vegan for years, i'm healthier than ever"

ok its not the most interesting conversation ever, but i went home feeling good and hoping to have made someone think a bit more about what they're eating.

Stu

Default Re: Nice stuff omni's say

Exactamundo. Little things like that make people think. That woman will now think of veganism is a positive light. Nice work, Aggy!

It's amazing what you can deduce about somebody just from loooking in their shopping basket. Since going vegan I've found that I am always looking in other people's shopping trolleys whilst waiting in line to be served. In four years I am yet to see one trolley which did not make me feel sick and/or angry. I have seen the occassional 'vegetarian' trolley, but they are usually conspicuous by the disproportionately large collection of cheeses and other dairy products , which disgusts me just as much as the usual trolley full of dismembered body parts.

P.S. Nice to see other people notice your food choices Aggy, wish it happened more often.

That was nice, Agatha.

People would get an odd idea of what we eat by looking at our shopping at the checkout, because we have the fruit and veg delivered every week so mostly tend to have grocery type stuff (though few body parts).

Zero

Thats great, leading by example and showing that our way of life is healty and possible is one of the best ways to educate others, because it gets them thinking

I had a similar conversation with people at my job, it went like like this?

"Wait, so you're vegetarian?"
    "I'm Vegan"
    "That's even worse!!"
    "You mean better!"
    "But you look healthy!"
    "Healthier then you'll ever be"

Then they were all like "what do you eat??" "where do you get your protien!?" and I had to do some education.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Sounds as if you're doing some good publicity there, DiaShel!

It's odd the way the protein thing keeps coming up. People must know by now that protein isn't only found in animal products, surely?

no i don't think they do! lots of omnis ask me where i get my protein from, but when they're left to feed me (e.g. at work) they often miss it out of my meal. which makes me think, 1. they really don't know where else to find protein and 2. they really think i don't want any! huh!

hopefully the supermarket lady will also think vegans are dead friendly

Quote DiaShel View Post

"I'm Vegan"
    "That's even worse!!"
    "You mean better!"
    "But you look healthy!"

Then they were all like "what do you eat??" "where do you get your protien!?" and I had to do some education.
    you seriously need this bag.

http://bags.cafepress.com/item/vegan...e-bag/26441479
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Stu

Like it.

BlackCats

Quote harpy View Post
    People must know by now that protein isn't only found in animal products, surely?
    (Not any of the people that I have ever met!)

1. Quite a few of my friends say that they think I am very disciplined (!) to be vegan and that they think it is a really good thing to do.

2. My friend told me how good my skin looks since turning vegan.

3. Lots of people have said "ooh well done" when I have told them I'm vegan.

(I find it difficult to remember the nice things people say, the annoying comments seem to stick in my head more.)

Just seen the bag - ace. Don't think I've heard "chickens are ugly - they should be eaten" before though

ya me either...actually i've never really had a bad expierence with an omni about me being vegan...and if i do they are far few and in between....i mostly get the "skinny" comments...which i'm not really skinny so it confuses me...oh well.

BlackCats

Quote missbettie View Post
    I just read out the comments on the bag to my husband and even he laughed, he has heard people say quite a few of those things to me.

That bag is great! Oh and I forgot, the girl that was there started saying, "well you know some plants are animals so you are eating animals" Then, "some plants eat animals so you are eating animals"
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

some plants are animals?? allllrighty

The worst I ever got was "If God hadn't meant us to eat animals he wouldn't have built slaughterhouses."

Generally I don't go around telling people I'm vegan, but I was told by a friend of my bf's who we invited to diner that I should "open a restaurant" which made me very happy

"some plants eat animals so you are eating animals"
    Could you get her to elaborate? Although it may not be the sort of conversation you want to revive...

ETA yes fiamma I can see that would make you happy! Please open one round the corner from me.

I can't get her to elaborate, unfortunately harpy; the lady in question won't be holding any more conversations about veganism. If you get my drift

As for the restaurant, I think some things should remain a passion. I'm not sure I'm cut out to be a chef!!!

I actually meant the first bit for DiaShel as I would love to know about the plants that eat animals. Sorry if something happened to the appreciative friend, though, fiamma.

Yes, unfortunately, a very sad story. Thanks anyway though

I didn't even bother after that point. After she said that I just got back to work, it wasn't worth it.

Have been racking my brains for animal-eating plants and can only think of Venus fly-traps etc. Might be nice in a salad

that's all I could think of too, and I'm pretty sure that none of the fruits or veggies I eat could be confused for an animal. People are so weird...

Quote DiaShel View Post
    That bag is great! Oh and I forgot, the girl that was there started saying, "well you know some plants are animals so you are eating animals" Then, "some plants eat animals so you are eating animals"
    Heh, sounds like a 'conversation' with my dad. He brought up the whole "But you eat plants." and my brother agreed, adding that plants have feelings and brains. There really wasn't much room to argue then. I tried to bring up that no, plants don't have brains, but chickens do, hence it's not the same, but this kinda got Dad upset (tends to happen when omni arguments run smack into logic).
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

<_< I need a T-shirt that says "I get all my protein from your mom (she gives good B12 too)". Hopefully that would end some of the annoying questions =p

Quote Shrapnel View Post
    <_< I need a T-shirt that says "I get all my protein from your mom (she gives good B12 too)". Hopefully that would end some of the annoying questions =p
    Did you make that up yourself?? If so, nice one

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Did you make that up yourself?? If so, nice one
    Hehe, thanks. I did, but unfortunately that means such a shirt doesn't exist... yet =p

lol Shrapnel. i like the bag too.

Quote Shrapnel View Post
    unfortunately that means such a shirt doesn't exist... yet =p
    Plain t-shirt and some fabric pens or paints? Get creative!! And post a pic when you're done...

Quote harpy View Post
    Have been racking my brains for animal-eating plants and can only think of Venus fly-traps etc.
    Your post got me thinking, harpy, and I searched Wikipedia for carnivorous plants. Some of them look very pretty but I doubt I'd like to eat them

Sorry, very OT

I've been backpacking most of this year and a few times in hostels have been making something and someone else has commented how nice/healthy it looks and that they wish they were having that instead of whatever they're making

As you say, pretty, but not appetizing (esp. if full of flies! )

Quote harpy View Post
    As you say, pretty, but not appetizing (esp. if full of flies! )
    LoL Full of protein though, right? (oops, not very vegan )

I get a few "Good job" comments from people. One woman thought it was the coolest thing ever. Haha.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Stu

Quote Shrapnel View Post
    Like it!

I usually get the "wow. that's cool" but I'm quite sure most of these are sarcasm.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Quote DiaShel View Post

"I'm Vegan"
    "That's even worse!!"
    "You mean better!"
    "But you look healthy!"

What? No "Where do you get Calcium and Iron from?" I've tried to explain the myths and propaganda of the meat and dairy industries relating to this but I usually give up and tell them to go to goveg.com

One thing I've noted on this forum is how nice most of you are when describing non vegans. I think calling a meat eater an 'omni' is way too complimentary and non specific for a person whose food choices are so damaging. Personally I prefer to refer to humans who call themselves carnivores or omnivores as 'carrion eaters' as they they only eat decomposing carcasses, not freshly killed prey like true carnivores. I also call them heathens, barbarians, savages and uncivilised ignoramuses.

^ Calcium and iron! I never get asked that. It seems to me that every omni in the world cares DEEPLY about protein and nothing else.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

Heh, the nicest thing an omni said recently was a friend of mine said he totally wanted that shirt, so I just ordered two (and got an idea for a second one, totally unrelated but that I know he'd like for like part of a Christmas present that reads: "You can trust in Jesus. It's ok. He's a doctor.").

Quote Sarah_ View Post
    ^ Calcium and iron! I never get asked that. It seems to me that every omni in the world cares DEEPLY about protein and nothing else.
    Oddly, I never got the calcium and iron on. I think the people I talked to figured that soy milk has calcium added, to make it more like cow's milk, and some people are wising up that spinach and other greens have loads of iron.

Quote Agatha View Post
    hopefully the supermarket lady will also think vegans are dead friendly
    What a lovely positive thread Agatha.............I know I've learned something from it!
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I get a few "Good job" comments from people. One woman thought it was the coolest thing ever. Haha.
    Well, positive comments are always nice!

Quote Shrapnel View Post
    Oddly, I never got the calcium and iron on. I think the people I talked to figured that soy milk has calcium added, to make it more like cow's milk, and some people are wising up that spinach and other greens have loads of iron.
    You are just lucky to be living in a slightly more enlightened society than me. Australia is still firmly in the vice like grip of the meat and dairy industry propaganda machine, which has everyone believing that if you don't consume meat and dairy you will pass out from lack of energy, then break every bone in your body as you hit the ground.

Heh, well, Utah Valley isn't the most enlightened, but I haven't talked to many people here about veganism who weren't already open minded. When I was back in Poland, I got mostly questions about protein. Though, in general, the US seems to have been pretty well controlled by the dairy industry too. Though, soy milk is becoming more well known. Still, some people believe you can't have healthy bones without dairy.

Quote Shrapnel View Post
    Heh, well, Utah Valley isn't the most enlightened, but I haven't talked to many people here about veganism who weren't already open minded. When I was back in Poland, I got mostly questions about protein. Though, in general, the US seems to have been pretty well controlled by the dairy industry too. Though, soy milk is becoming more well known. Still, some people believe you can't have healthy bones without dairy.
    The healthy bones comment is so frustrating. I try to explain to them that dairy depletes the bones of calcium but they just won't listen. When it suits them, people are very quick to believe what they see on TV.

Yeah, and it's frustrating that if you try to tell people that, you get accused of spreading vegan propaganda, yet they don't question the ads stating you need meat and dairy to live that are funded by the meat and dairy industry. Seriously... do people even look at agendas? What would it benefit vegans to lie about this stuff? We don't secretly get funded by cows. Pigs aren't bribing scientists with vast sums of money to invent nitrates in hot dogs. But suggest that the meat and dairy industry would increase profits if people believed eat and dairy were healthy, and just maybe these industries cared more about profit than health, and you're a conspiracy theory spouting nutcase.

BlackCats

Quote aussievego View Post
    Personally I prefer to refer to humans who call themselves carnivores or omnivores as 'carrion eaters' as they they only eat decomposing carcasses, not freshly killed prey like true carnivores. I also call them heathens, barbarians, savages and uncivilised ignoramuses.
    I assume you mean you call them that behind their back.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I assume you mean you call them that behind their back.
    Correct, that's what I call them when I'm talking about them in relation to their diet. I rarely bother trying to talk to them about food any more.

was introducing some people to the delights of the Glasshouse yesterday and saying how I discovered it (thanks Sty, Bry & co) and that they do vegan beer etc and girl I was talking to said that she'd been thinking about being vegan but thought it would be too hard etc but she was saying how much respect she had for vegans, anyway by the end of a very good conversation she has volunteered to actualy research veganism and diet and may even adopt the vegan way of life. All this from being nice about me being vegan and talking about a pub.