Thread: Raw food "cook"books

Default Raw food "cook"books

I am really intrigued by the raw food diet and was wondering if all you wonderful rawies out there could give me some tips on what raw books are worthwhile investing in. I have three in mind:

Raw Food Made Easy by Jennifer Cornbleet. The reviews seem to say that the recipes are excellent but the presentation is not that great.

Ani's Raw Food Kitchen by Ani Phyo. Again, wonderful recipes but a few too many pictures of Ani.

The Raw Food Detox Diet by Natalia Rose. No bad reviews...

Any input you can give me on any of these titles would be really welcome

Default Re: Raw food "cook"books

I'd be interested in this too.

I'd quite like to eat raw breakfast and lunch, or raw breakfast and dinner, each day. There's quite a lot of raw food recipe sites out there, but are the recipes any good?

A recommended book would be great to get me started and give me some inspiration

I saw ani phyo on you tube and bought her book on the strength of that. I think using the book would be very nice, very nutritious and very expensive. If you are a vegan raw family it would be fine as most of the recipes are for 4 but even if you make the recipes in smaller portions - you will need a hearty supply of almonds. Luscious lemon pudding starts with 2 cups of almonds and serves 4. Buckwheat crispies are in some of the recipes and although she states that they last for up to 9 months the recipe is for one pound of them. So you need one pound of buckwheat groats.

Oat groats also figure - these are not the rolled or steel cut oats as they are cooked when being processed.

Other items in recipes include - bok choy, mizuna, tat soi, black sesame seeds, kaffir lime leaves, golden beets, fuyu persimmons, wakame, hemp nuts and hijiki. To be honest some of those I haven't even heard of.

I have quite a few recipe books and I like this one and if I could afford the ingredients I would make more of them - but unless you are fine for funds and have really good fresh food outlets that you can access daily - you may find this book is not for you.

Lovely photos of ani and food tho and quite a chatty style.
    even perfect isn't perfect - Rubyduby 4th July 08

Thanks vava for your super-swift reply!

Thanks for the heads up about the almonds - they are expensive, and 2 cups??? You're right about the fancy ingredients too - I hadn't heard of a lot of those either.

So I guess that's Ani out...

i don't like natalie rose, her book is like a transition book and is not vegan...i have a raw uncook book at home...i'll figure out which on it is and let you know, i like it a lot.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Thanks missb

ne time, i like the book i have...but...i havn't made anything out of it...lol OHHH go to goneraw.com its not as awesome as this forum but there are really good recipies....i'm missbettie on there too.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I have the Natalia Rose book. I dont really like that one. It was geared towards weight loss and I didnt find that helpful (and would caution against it for you).

I also have the Ani Phyo book which is pretty awesome. I can see myself using it when I get older and out of school. The recipes seem like they take time for planning and preparing everything... which is something I'm limited in. Plus, I dont like preparing meals, so I find it daunting to come up with all these ingredients and such on a college time schedule and finances.

Goneraw.com is good, too.

I'm a member of http://giveittomeraw.com. I really like it there and find it supportive.

Warning note: It's not a raw vegan site, it's a raw site. Some members do eat animal products and it is mentioned.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

have a look at;

raw in 10 minutes

and

raw foods for busy people

on amazon. i've heard good things about them!

i've got them on my wish list on there, maybe at christmas.....?

Rawvolta

Hey, Tigerlily! I am a member of Give It To Me Raw also! Nice to see you here!
    Anyways, I didn't like Natalie Rose's book either..
    I have read many raw food books and I see now that the most important one at the beginning was : 12 steps to raw foods by Victoria Boutenko.

She has some recipes ( specially green smoothies - with bananas, I basically avoid ), but her approach is great - explains what is happening when one cooks food and why raw food is the best choice ever.

Ani Phyo book is great.
    and CAFE GRATITUDE!

I liked Natalia Rose's Raw detox Diet even though it wasn't totally vegan. I think she had some good ideas for meal plans and the information in the beginning about why you should go raw was informative.

Raw Transformation also has lots of nice recipes, I should go back to trying them
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I am about to purchase Ani's Raw Kitchen but I thought I might buy another while I'm at it.

I am looking at Fresh by Sergei & Valya Boutenko, The Complete Book of Raw Food by Victoria Boutenko or maybe Everyday Raw by Matthew Kenney.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

i recently purchased a raw e-book by rawdawgrory. (check him out on youtube - lots of good, fun recipe vids, or rawdawgrory.com) it cost about £8 with $ conversion.

he transitioned over about a year and a half and said that was the best way for him.

the book isn't hardcore at all, just lots and lots of very simple, attainable recipes that don't all need fancy gadgets.

he has lost a lot of weight since starting his journey if the weight loss is important for you.

i'm really enjoying reading it (i printed out a hard copy) and am inspired by the gentle, human approach of it. great stuff.

just found this you may be interested in (she does a fab cookery prob on the sky Active channel )

i've just downloaded it, it's free.

http://shazzie.com/divinity/raw_brit...WwmUw#download

^ good grief - just realised how old this thread is! lol

I like the book RAW by Juliano.
    It has more of a gourmet feel to it, but the pictures are beautiful, and his story is inspiring.

Not currently a vegan

I like the book raw food made easy by Jennifer Cornbleet. There are so many cook books available but i like this one because it contains new and wonderful recipes. Anyway thanks for sharing wonderful information.

Gorilla Food... Aaron Ash