Thread: Dogs banned from trains in Italy

Default Dogs banned from trains in Italy

The Italian state railway company Trenitalia is banning all dogs weighing over 6kg from its services (including guide dogs) as from October 1st. Dogs brought on to the trains must be carried in a pet travel cage and be up to date with their vaccinations. The reason behind this is apparently to keep the trains clean ().

There's a protest at Rome's Termini Station on Wednesday October 1st at 11am, where citizens plus their four-footed furry friends will be taking a train in an act of civil disobedience.

I wish I could go but Rome is far away and I have to work

The whole of Italy is up in arms about this and I think it's a scandalous move, it's already hard enough owning a dog in Italy as it is. In summer dogs are banned from beaches (or they can go on the beach but not in the water) and from many public areas. The other night a friend of mine went to an outdoor festival and was approached by two policemen who told her to muzzle her dog (a Labrador) or leave. She left in disgust and I don't blame her.

Bloody Trenitalia, yet another step backwards for Italy as compared to the rest of the EU. Boo.

Default Re: Dogs banned from trains in Italy

how can they ban guide dogs? surely that's discrimination?

Seems crazy - hope they think better of it. Yes, I would have thought they must be breaching some EU directive or other by banning guide dogs.

I know, it's crazy. But given that something like a third of Italian politicians should be in prison (literally), it really doesn't surprise me.

BlackCats

Quote fiamma View Post
    The Italian state railway company Trenitalia is banning all dogs weighing over 6kg from its services (including guide dogs) as from October 1st. Dogs brought on to the trains must be carried in a pet travel cage and be up to date with their vaccinations. The reason behind this is apparently to keep the trains clean ().
    How unfair.

It would seem they've backed down a little and changed the rule to allow guide dogs to board, but the fact remains that under the new regulations dogs are the scapegoats for a poor level of train cleaning on the part of Trenitalia.

VICTORY!!!!!

Trenitalia today decided to withdraw its new regulation banning dogs over 6kg from travelling on its trains .

For anyone who reads Italian here's a link to the story.

The problems of dirt and poor hygiene (travellers have been bitten by ticks while travelling on Italian trains ) of the rail services can in no way be blamed on the few animals which travel on the trains, rather to the sub-standard cleaning carried out by Trenitalia itself.

Blimey! That was quick! Good show.

I think we were on the brink of a revolution

I think the speed that the law was withdrawn reflected their realisation of just what a huge c*ck-up they'd made...

Lots of red faces at Trenitalia tonight , as officials retire to the doghouse

good news!

^ Thanks Gorilla, and harpy. I thought so too

Coming back from Milan a couple of weeks ago my friend and I sat next to a couple of vet students and their dog. Far from being disgusted by its presence, everyone wanted to pet and stroke it (that was one of Trenitalia's arguments too, that not everyone appreciates dogs on trains. I could provide a long list of things that passengers do on trains that I don't appreciate, but I probably shouldn't start... )

Good news anyway

Yes, it generally cheers up a train journey to have some fauna aboard.

*live*&*let*live

I know it's late but wanted to add my twopenny worth to this thread. Why can't dogs swim in the sea?! Surely that won't cause any mucky water?! And as for the trains, I have seen people on there that may have ticks so as for the poor dogs....it's common sense if you know your dog is a bit antsy round people then you take extra precautions. I can only think of this reason for not allowing them on the trains, it's not relevant now anyway so whatever Nik just shut up!!

Our county bans dogs from beaches during summer months between certain hours; fair enough, but why every beach, says I?

4x4s and jet-skis are allowed, which are far dirtier and more dangerous and a lot less fun for just about everybody.
    "The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they're genuine" - Abraham Lincoln

I almost got thrown off a train in Italy for resting my feet on the seat across from me.
    I can vouch for their attitude to cleanliness on trains!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

*live*&*let*live

^Now if you did that at school gogs what did they used to say....would you do that at home^
    Now my answer would be yes! But then it would have been no, because I was a well behaved child who didn't answer back the teachers!