Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Why a subforum called "wheat free"? Is wheat bad for you?

Default Why a subforum called "wheat free"? Is wheat bad for you?

Why "wheat free"? Is wheat bad for you? I see a lot of products being advertised as wheat free and I'm not sure why.

Default Re: Why "wheat free"? Is wheat bad for you?

Many people are allergic to wheat or gluten and so can't eat it. My friend can't eat wheat and REALLY suffers if she does. Not just digestive upset but also tiredness/not being to move at all!!

A lot of people avoid wheat even if they don't have such an extreme reaction because it can be hard to digest and cause slight upsets.

It bothers my stomach a lot. I get gas, bloating, and constipation. I can eat a couple of cookies now and then but something like wheat bread or pasta totally kills my tummy.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

pavotrouge

In another forum, I have also read about the fact that wheat wasn't designed to be digested by humans since our ancestors used to live of fruit, veggies and meat and wheat is quite new in the history of the human diet.

Then again, it sounds a lot like omnivore's "We're designed to eat meat"-excuse...

I knew a raw foodist on another forum and he was against eating grains. He thought we weren't designed to eat them and that's the reason why we have so many grain intolerances and weight gain.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Also wheat tends to be a "monoculture" crop and monoculture crops are bad for the environment.
    Wheat can also be a mono-food, some people just about live off wheat based meals, they have wheat based breakfast cereals, bread for lunch, and pasta for dinner! That's a lot of wheat in one day!
    It's much more healthy to have a varied diet than a mono-diet because we need variety to get enough different nutrients!
    However I don't think any of these are why wheat is labelled, its for wheat intolerance, like cherry says.
    Last edited by herbwormwood; Nov 25th, 2006 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

regardless of wether or not humans are designed to eat wheat/grains, as long as I am not allergic or intolerant to them, I will continue to consume. I lovvvvve pastas, breads, etc. But I do eat a varried vegan diet of grains, fruits, & veggies.

I'm researching wheat at the moment for my naturopathy studies. I've learned that wheat was one of the first cultivated crops and is still one of the most important grains grown in the world today.

One of the main reasons it is now a health issue for so many people is that over the years it has been so 'in-bred' (no pun intended!) that it's very different from the orginal plant. Wild wheat also contains many more nutrients.

Another reason it is not so well tolerated is because so much wheat that is consumed is really refined - such as white bread.

Back to my studies!

Good sperm

I can only eat whole grains. I eat wholewheat pasta and bread. If I eat any white bread my digestive system just stops. It's not so bad with pasta but it doesn't sit right.
    Still, whole grains are better for you anyway.

I can only eat whole grains
    I'm the opposite - wheat bran upsets my tum but I'm all right with the rest of the wheat grain (which I agree doesn't have much nutritional value).

Took me a long time to work that out but apparently it's quite common.

Yogini

Wheat gives me arthritis. Seriously.

My arthritis is of the rheumatoid variety, which is an auto-immune disorder. Auto-immune disorders can be aggravated, or even caused, by food sensitivities. One of my sensitivites is wheat. Other offenders are potatoes and processed foodstuffs.
    Last edited by Yogini; Dec 10th, 2006 at 05:51 PM. Reason: I wasn't very clear or specific the first time.

My partner sooz is allergic to wheat it bloats her and makes her really, a lot of the WF range is really nice, also as its in supermarkets Free From range you often find many Vegan goodies in their as well I eat wheat myself though
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

nervine

I wanna go completely gluten free. My breakfast and dinner are already glutenfree but I need some ideas for lunch. Anyone?

mm..how about using legumes/rice/potatoes for the basis of your meals, instead of pasta, for e.g.: instead of having penne with marinara sauce, have beans/lentils/chickpeas,rice/potatoes with marinara sauce.
    what's more difficult to replace is bread..
    Piggy

Quote nervine View Post
    I wanna go completely gluten free. My breakfast and dinner are already glutenfree but I need some ideas for lunch. Anyone?
    Pasta is easily replaced, such as with corn pasta or rice and millet. If you can only tolerate wholegrains then you'll need to go for the corn pasta - you can get it in sainsburys and it's 100% corn. The other types are also gluten free but they're refined products. I'm very sensitive to anything that isn't 100% natural and so refined products are a big no-no for me, but you might be different.
    You could make bean or lentil burgers using buckwheat or millet to fill them out, and have with them salad? I make them and they're a really delicious lunch. Just mix together tomato pure, onion, beans, grated carrot and millet or buckwheat and coat with brown rice flour, and bake for 20 minutes. Falafel is also great and gluten free as far as I know.
    Your best bet is to find a gluten free cookbook and have a look there. I don't know if you'll find a GF book especially for vegans but even if you don't there's bound to be recipes in a GF book that you can play about with, like replace the eggs etc. Good luck!

I just found out I am allergic to wheat so I'm cutting it out of my diet. I thought I had chronic sinusitis and IBS but it turns out wheat is the real culprit!! I doubt I'll be able to abstain entirely, though, because I LOVE vegan cookies and other wheat sweets.

I have recently got into millet. It is a great substitute for cous cous (which is made from wheat). I use whole millet grains but the flakes are nice too. It is more nutritious than wheat.

I've heard of millet. Is it both gluten-free and wheat-free?

As well, most brands of quinoa I've seen are wheat-free and gluten-free. I love quinoa!

I'm also wheat-free and gluten-free because I have Asperger's Syndrome. I've researched why and how wheat and gluten can have negative effects on someone within the autistic spectrum (Asperger's, autism, etc.). I did have some of the symptoms mentioned (associated with wheat/gluten consumption), but once I quit consuming them, my symptoms stopped.

We don't eat any refined grains much anymore. If we are to eat pasta we chose to have spelt or kamut types because they have very low gluten levels, provide much more nutrients, and are more easily digestible. We also really only eat whole grain breads. When I have time, I bake the bread myself and use low gluten flours.
    The good man is the friend of all living things. -- Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Pisces View Post
    I've heard of millet. Is it both gluten-free and wheat-free?

As well, most brands of quinoa I've seen are wheat-free and gluten-free. I love quinoa!
    Millet is a whole grain, so why would it contain wheat? Its a cereal crop.
    I looked on Wikipedia and its recommended for gluten free diets.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millet#Crop_history
    The problem for me with quinoa is it has to be imported to Europe.
    There are also ethical issues related to monoculture as quinoa becomes more popular.
    Millet is an ancient grain native to Europe.

also millet and oats eaten on the same day actually contain all the necessary amino acids. That's rare for grain alone without legumes.

I love spelt and kamut and worked in a bakery producing loaves of both as well as gluten-free (millet maize rice barley carob-starch and linseed) and many folks found that they did tolerate spelt and kamut but not the hybridized modern wheat. Kamut actually has a high gluten content! Okay true celiac disease sufferers must avoid all gluten but the rest of us may have more options than we realize.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

I found out I was allergic to gluten almost a year ago and since then I have completely cut it off my diet. It gave me gastrointestinal discomforts, sometimes constipation and sometimes loose stools, horrible migraines, and, strangely enough, skin rashes.
    Then I found out about how awful gluten is to the intestines and how hard it is to digest, plus, it has been associated with some neurodegenerative illnesses and things alike.
    Really, it's something to stay away from.

Someone told me that wheat was modified about a hundred years ago and before it was tampered with it did not contain gluten. Has anyone else heard this? I'd like to know more if its true but I haven't been able to find any information online.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    Someone told me that wheat was modified about a hundred years ago and before it was tampered with it did not contain gluten. Has anyone else heard this? I'd like to know more if its true but I haven't been able to find any information online.
    I don't think this is something that happened suddenly; AIUI wheat has been selectively bred over time to have more gluten in it than primitive wheat did. Can't find a ref for this but a gradual change seems more plausible as they didn't know how to do genetic modification 100 years ago.

i have heard that more ancient grains, such as spelt, had less gluten than wheat, but i'm wondering what would be the purpose of breeding wheat strains with more gluten? i suppose there are recipes that work better with more gluten?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Yes, bread does I think ("strong" flour for bread-making is high in gluten IIRC). And I suppose you could argue it's more nutritious, for those that aren't sensitive to gluten.

so what nutritional value does the gluten itself contain? is it protein?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Good sperm

Quote Wikipedia
    The development of gluten (i.e., enhancing its elasticity) affects the texture of the baked goods. Gluten's attainable elasticity is proportional to its content of glutenins with low molecular weights because that fraction contains the preponderance of the sulfur atoms responsible for the cross-linking in the network.[6][7] More development leads to chewier products like pizza and bagels, while less development yields tender baked goods such as pie crust. Several other factors affect the development of gluten in baked goods:
    • The amount of gluten in the flour. For examples, bread flour has high gluten content, while cake flour is low in gluten.
    • Fat inhibits the formation of long gluten strands, so increased shortening yields a more tender product.
    • Kneading develops the gluten strands, so a baked product is chewier in proportion to how much the dough is worked.
    • Water is essential to gluten development, so more of it is used in doughs when a chewier texture is desired.[8]
    As a practical application of these rules, pie crust, which should be very tender, is made with low-gluten flour, much shortening, and little liquid, then mixed only enough to combine the ingredients.
    More info here I think playing around with the gluten content means you can have more variety of textures and behaviours with the flour.

Yes, protein. So to make seitan you wash away the starch in (high-gluten) flour and you're just left with a lump of protein, basically.

I'm so glad I have never had problems with wheat. I even went gluten free for a while out of curiosity but there was no difference. What I did discover is some great gluten-free products. Fortunately, a lot are vegan too. Celiacs are looked after better than vegans in regards to products.

I do think varying grains is a good idea. To have just one type all the time seems unbalanced.

I heard that wheat and dairy can be very harmful. Many autistic children benefit from wheat and dairy free diets. Sadly, autism is on the rise, in America at least, but most don't take time out to research the diet. Of course gluten-free diets are becoming more apparent (as I see gluten-free menu items in restaurants). But what about dairy? Nobody sees the hormones in dairy as being harmful, but i feel that many conditions are exemplified by the cheeses and milk products. Why does everyone blame wheat, but no one sees the dairy as the problem as well? Very Perplexing!
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

Quote angelamc View Post
    I just found out I am allergic to wheat so I'm cutting it out of my diet. I thought I had chronic sinusitis and IBS but it turns out wheat is the real culprit!! I doubt I'll be able to abstain entirely, though, because I LOVE vegan cookies and other wheat sweets.
    just out of interest, how did you find out? did you have an allergy test? i'm thinking i really should get one of those. i have too many unexplained 'complaints'.

treaclemine

Anyone who thinks they have a wheat problem must get properly tested for celiac disease. I have a very bonny friend who could barely walk before she got properly diagnosed and treated.

Celic (or coeliac sprue) is 'total wheat allergy', which is thought to affect about 1 in 100 people. People with celiac disease need in fact to completely avoid all gluten-like proteins, which are found in wheat (inc. spelt), barley, rye, and probably oats too. Otherwise, they suffer many serious health problems.

There's lots of good information on teh IntaWebz about celiac e.g.

The Canadian Celiac Health Survey

http://www.springerlink.com/content/krg3730354k18182/

"Most common presenting symptoms included abdominal pain (83%), diarrhea (76%), and weight loss (69%). ... Diagnoses made prior to celiac disease included anemia (40%), stress (31%), and irritable bowel syndrome (29%). Osteoporosis was common."

Celiac disease can only be treated by a gluten-free diet. Otherwise, the patient also has increased risks of osteoporosis, lymphoma, reproductive complications, and other autoimmune diseases.

emmy : my mom told me she wouldn't pay for any tests such as a biopsy, so i'm stuck, unless my social security takes in charge everything, which i doubt. my endocrinologist told me according to my symptoms (aka : abdominal pain, especially after the meals, diarrhea, dehydration related to diarrhea, and i don't know if it's related but i had also an anemia) that i was allergic to gluten. i have tried since then eating products with gluten, each time ending with the same symptoms. i learned the lesson and went in search of a healthfood store in Paris carrying the brands specialised in gluten free products.

treaclemine

Aurore: Celiac (or coeliac) disease is a potentially fatal autoimmune condition which is somehow triggered by gluten. It's not 'just' a food intolerance.

Your symptoms sound serious enough to need checking out. You need a proper diagnosis, because if you do have celiac disease, the only treatment is to completely remove all traces of gluten-like protein from your diet for ever.

Some doctors think that the damage done to your digestive system by celiac disease can eventually cause cancer.

You might find it useful to talk to these people: http://www.coeliac.co.uk/

thanks for the link. ouch, they say i have to reintroduce products containing gluten which makes sense for the diagnostic, but i've tried yesterday just with some bread, it ruined my night and morning, and i'm still in pain. i'll see soon my endocrinologist so i'll talk to her about that, see if it shows in the blood test i did back in november. and i'll ask her for the biopsy. i wish my mom would realise it's not as what she calls them "one of my moods".

treaclemine

The blood tests are pretty good these days. But they are secondary to your symptoms and your feelings of wellness. It may not be celiac disease, but if you are feeling ill, then you need to keep seeking the cause and the treatments.

Very best of luck. I have a good friend for whom a true diagnosis of celiac disease was the best thing to happen to her ever. She's just celebrated her 10th anniversary of being diagnosed, and being completely gluten-free, and she's one of the bonniest, healthiest people that I know ;-)

i'll see with my doc. whatever the diagnostic, i'm not afraid of trying new things in my plate.

My ex-GF, as well as the Partner of our best friend are all celiacs. No gluten at all. It was really tough for my ex-GF. She went through a drawn-out illness a few months after we met. After she got better, She started loosing all sorts of weight and not absorbing nutrients for a year, and we had no idea what was going on.

This was before celiac was regularly diagnosed, so it took four experts to finally get to the correct diagnosis. When she finally cut out gluten, she started looking healthy again.

Now, I think that gluten is clearly not for everyone.

However, I've tried going gluten free, and it doesn't affect me positively at all. It is the same on my GI tract as eating gluten.

I think that if you've got issues with wheat, then by all means cut it out of the diet. But if you don't, then there really is no need to do it.

I'm sticking to eating semolina pasta every other night.
    context is everything

i'm still eating wheat products, but i have an appointment tomorrow with a gastroenterologist (had to wait almost 3 weeks for an appointment ! grrr). hopefully he'll be able to tell me what the hell is wrong with me, celiac or other belly related problem. i almost force myself to eat lately

I tried a what free diet in the hopes it would encourage me to lose weight and see if it makes any difference to my general sluggish feeling - also because I wanted to try the diet suggested for people with rheumatoid arthritis and see how easy or hard it is.
    I have to say if I didn't work it would have been fine but working long hours I found it nigh on impossible - everything seems to have wheat or wheat gluten in even vegemince! It is feasible but quite frankly I couldn't be bothered. You'd have to make most things from scratch and give up ever eating out.
    Silent but deadly :p

it's true most of the things we buy contain wheat, that said there are alternatives. it's harder, but if the doctor tells me i do have the coeliac disease, be sure i will find those alternatives.

Quote Aurore View Post
    it's true most of the things we buy contain wheat, that said there are alternatives. it's harder, but if the doctor tells me i do have the coeliac disease, be sure i will find those alternatives.
    It certainly is do-able I'm just really lazy. Also I'd never buy coeliac bread because it looks like slices of cotton wool with about as much taste - I'd probably make potato cakes or something.
    You know how it is when you turn vegan - everything seems to have milk or eggs in in or milk proteins, it's similar with wheat - wheat gluten in every other product.
    Silent but deadly :p

i came back this afternoon from the clinic. the doctor doesn't know what to tell me, so i still don't know what to eat, and i still dope myself with some painkillers. i hate it. i really hope the biopsy results will tell us something. all i know is if i eat something containing wheat, i also win a ticket to the bathroom. it could also be stress & anxiety related. pfff, that song really sounds boring, yes i am an anxious girl, but that doesn't mean stress is the magical answer to every symptom i have.

Quote Aurore View Post
    i came back this afternoon from the clinic. the doctor doesn't know what to tell me, so i still don't know what to eat, and i still dope myself with some painkillers. i hate it. i really hope the biopsy results will tell us something. all i know is if i eat something containing wheat, i also win a ticket to the bathroom. it could also be stress & anxiety related. pfff, that song really sounds boring, yes i am an anxious girl, but that doesn't mean stress is the magical answer to every symptom i have.

hi aurore,
    sorry to hear you are still having such problems
    hopefully the results will give you some more conclusive information.
    in the meantime i suggest you listen to your body, and avoid wheat. it doesn't sound like it 'goes' too well with you...whether you have coeliac or not.
    i find that when i eat a lot of wheat i feel really ill and lethargic, so i try to cut back as much as possible. i don't think i am allergic, and i very much doubt that i have coeliac disease! i think sometimes the doctors just cannot answer things, and we have to decide what is best for our bodies ourselves.
    discomfort and illness is a sign that your body doesn't like something...
    best way to deal with that is not to put it into your body anymore!

thanks. that's the conclusion i've come to myself. i already know there are other products besides wheat, i went yesterday to my favorite healthfood store and i couldn't choose between all the different packs of cereals available and gluten free .

Good for you Aurore
    I wonder if my problem is less wheat and more dry foods such as bread, crackers and cereal? I don't seem to have problems with noodles.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

i'm thinking about that myself. bread definitely isn't good for me. i seem able to tolerate more barley oats when they're mixed with other cereals, but still have problems digesting it. about the noodles, i don't know. i tend to digest my food better if it's cooked rather than raw, but i'm pretty sure it doesn't change much in the end. i'll have to test more.

i got my results. everything's normal apart from a gastritis that needs no special treatment. i still had the guilty white cells
    now i'm facing a dilemna : either i continue experimenting and baning foods that are no good for me, or i continue eating them, and if i still have the symptoms in a few months' time, go see another doctor and see what he/she has to say.