Thread: Veggie Burgers

Default Veggie Burgers

Very occationally, I feel the need to put a burger like thing in a bun and enjoy it with lashings of ketchup.
    However finding a vegan burger in the UK is a difficult task...any suggestions or good recipes for getting my burger fix....

I had a vegan lentil buger a while ago which was divine...think it was made with green lentils. Not sure how to make though...

seitan

Default Re: Veggie Burgers

frys burgers are the best!

I haven't attempted to make a burger for ages, so I'll leave it to others to offer recipes, but I sometimes give a portabella (i.e. large flat) mushroom the burger treatment. Just grill or roast it with garlic first and then add whatever you'd add to a burger.

I think there's some you can buy - Dragonfly or something?

I've never managed to make a nice vegan burger from a recipe.

However I am a fan of the following stuffed in a bun:
    Fry's burgers, nut cutlets, spicy beanburgers, Asda meat free chicken fillets, Realeat burger mix, schnitzels (Fry's or Redwoods).
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

Thats cool, I like the idea of the portabella, can imagine that topped with roasted peppers and avocado...

My local supermarket is Sainsburys, and while their range of vegan products is improving, especially their labelling of products, all their "meat free" products contain egg.... as does quorn and linda mccartney, and cauldron too. Why do people put milk and egg in things just to irritate me????

I'll hop down to H&B to see if they have any Fry's burgers.

I went to a place called Ultimate Burger when I was in London. I got some burger with a portabella mushroom in it and got no cheese. It was yummy.

Veganomicon has a really nice black bean burger recipie...are we allowed to post recipies from published books on here? if someone lets me know I'll post it.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Holland and Barrett should do Fry's burgers (if they have a freezer). It is a shame that so many of the fake meat products have egg in them, as it's clearly not necessary to hold them together as shown by the products that don't have them.

Also, if you go to anywhere that Veggies are catering they do fantastic burgers. I think you can buy their mix, too.
    "Danger" could be my middle name … but it's "John"

I like frys burgers or schnitzels too. My new favourite ones are some tvp based ones I found in my local health shop recently, i think the brand is Vegetarian's Choice or something like that, really yummy.

Stu

Yeah, you can get Vegetarians' Choice in Holland & Barrett. They're not amazing, but they're very cheap - 99p for four, if memory serves. I think they disagree with me slightly, but that doesn't stop me having all four in one go.

Quote stickydate View Post
    I went to a place called Ultimate Burger when I was in London. I got some burger with a portabella mushroom in it and got no cheese. It was yummy.
    Ooh, can you recall where that was exactly? I mean, I could use Google, but that would mean pressing a few more buttons. Actually, it would have involved less button-presses than typing all this out. I'll shut up now.

cobweb

the dry burger mixes you can get aren't too bad if you put some ketchup and greenery in the bun with them.

i do wish the big supermarkets stocked a vegan burger though.

Stu

Quote cobweb View Post
    greenery
    Heh, you made me picture a burger with a big shrub hanging out of it.

cobweb

^ isn't that what everyone does with their burgers?

Yes, I frequently put some rodedendrums in mine..............it adds a certain, 'je ne sais pas'.

I like the Fry's burgers the best, the traditional ones and the spicy ones.
    I used to love the Asda fillet thingys but alas they have stopped selling them. I went all the way to Ballyclare on Saturday to the Asda where I used to get them only to be told they've stopped them.
    The assistant pointed out the new range of veggie stuff they are doing instead, but wouldn't you know, it was all full of milk and eggs.

(God, I was grumpy on the drive home )
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

Both Tesco and Sainsbury's nut cutlets are vegan and go down well in a bun with lashings of ketchup and vegan mayo.

Sainsbury's spicy bean quarter pounders are vegan too.

If you ever go to any events where Veggies are doing the catering the hemp burgers are very tasty.

Asda do some frozen nacho burgers which are really nice with Cheezly and mayo.

Now I have to make burgers. Fridge needs a clear out anyway;if it ain't nailed down, I'm chopping, spicing, binding with besan (chickpea flour) and frying.
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

yeah they ARE nice!

Quote Stu View Post
    Ooh, can you recall where that was exactly? I mean, I could use Google, but that would mean pressing a few more buttons. Actually, it would have involved less button-presses than typing all this out. I'll shut up now.

Here you go lazy ass http://www.ultimateburger.co.uk/index.html

After reading this thread last night and then watching How I met your mother where they kept eating burgers I had to go get stuff for burgers for dinner tonight, except I couldn't find vegan buns so I had to use bagels instead. Does anyone know if any of the uk supermarkets have vegan burger buns? I am sure I have had some in the past but I can't remember where from.

Co-op and Sainsburys definitely do vegan buns.

Im pretty sure that so organic wholemeal baps from sainsburys are vegan. I've found Fry's vegan burgers in my local H&B, they're in the freezer. I'm pissed off with sainsburys for lacing their meat free products with milk and egg, and also for no longer stocking silken tofu...I don't know where to get it from now!

Not sure what you have there, but I love Gardenburger patties.
    First vegetarian meal I ever ate was a bean burger from Applebee's and it was the sickest thing ever. Scared of bean burgers since then.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

I can't get burgers or anything else where I live so I make my own and although they do tend to fall apart a bit (a lot ), they taste great!
    Women are like teabags. We don't know our true strength until we are in hot water!

Just thought I'd point out that some of these burger/fast food places cook their vege burgers in the same fryer/hot plate as animal products. But I'm sure most here knew that...
    k thx bai

Quote Rakey View Post
    also for no longer stocking silken tofu...I don't know where to get it from now!
    WHAT!? when did they stop this? is it a nationwide thing? that sucks...

though, re where else to get...have you tried healthfoodie type places? alternatively, waitrose stock a brand i think.

amanda

Quote Gorilla View Post
    This forum is amazing. i went to asda at the weekend and bought several boxes of these. (they're 2 boxes of 4 for £3) I do hope they're nice!
    "Slice it up and dig in.. let the funeral begin.."

cxmnz

Quote Pob View Post
    Also, if you go to anywhere that Veggies are catering they do fantastic burgers. I think you can buy their mix, too.
    Veggies burgers are well good, they do a few dry mixes for the burgers and their sausages, as well as ready prepared frozen ones, but I'm not sure how far away from their base you can get the frozen ones. I have noticed they have started adding soya chunks to the mixes and prepared sausages (not sure about the burgers) that I'm not too keen on, seems like a waste to pick them out of the mix though.

I'm a bit partial to a spicy bean burger.

Tin of cooked, rinsed kidney beans, some cooked rice, rolled oats, spices, tomato puree, onion, garlic and whatever else you like the sound of, blitzed in a blender, then add flour until it's sticky but not runny. You don't want them to hold their shape too much else they will come out too dry. Aim for slightly stodgy porridge.

Drop a big spoonful onto a greased baking tray and throw them in the oven, turning once they are able to hold their shape to brown off both sides.

I think that's how it goes, I tend to make it up as I go along and depending what's seasonal and to hand so it inevitably turns out different each time.

There's plenty of variations on this you can make, adding different seasonings, different beans, lentils, mushrooms, I'm partial to adding a couple of chillis, but I'm a spice fiend, you can add anything really, it's a good base for a burger. They're good on a BBQ too, just cook a few (but not completely for best results, if you make more than you need you can save them for a BBQ too) and either freeze them for long term storage or have them in the fridge and re-heat them on the BBQ.

EDIT: I just realised I didn't post any quantities except for the beans, I don't tend to measure anything (I like to think of it as lucky dip cookery), it's a bit trial and error, but I'd say about a third of the tin of beans of rolled oats, and the same of cooked rice.
    Last edited by cxmnz; Feb 2nd, 2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Elaborating and adding quantites

http://gothamist.com/2010/04/13/popu...ntain_pois.php

http://eatwelleatcheap.blogspot.com/...oning-you.html

Thought I'd post this. I preferred the Yves veggie burgers, but I'll be going back to the Tofurky sausages.

I never had much succes making my own burgers and have tried, but just gave up since they're usually easy enough to come buy. Back in the UK I sometimes bought Asda's nut cutlets. But I'll stick most things in a bun or between toast with lots of ketchup on there, when I'm burgerless I'll fry up some tofu, take off the heat then immediately throw on some soy sauce (the salty variety and if I have it also the sweet variety Ketjap) and nutritional yeast. Quick stir and 15 seconds later you'll have the best slightly smokey tofu topping for your bun, salad and ketchup delight!