View Poll Results: What's your blood type/group?

Voters
303. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

80 26.40%
  • O

104 34.32%
  • B

33 10.89%
  • AB

22 7.26%
  • Don't know

64 21.12%
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's your blood group?

Question What's your blood group?

i was wondering about everyone on here, how many people actually know their blood type, and which blood group each person is.

to get it going, i'm B+

NB For more info on the Blood Type Diet, see http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=977 thread
    Last edited by flutterby; May 10th, 2007 at 04:20 PM. Reason: added link to Blood Type Diet thread
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Ooh snap - me too!!!

PinkFluffyCloud

Ha! And me! Weird!

PinkFluffyCloud

This has reminded me of when I was a little kid and got my first diary for Christmas. At the front it had one of those sections for personal details, including 'Blood Group'.
    Apparently I wrote 'not in one' - haha, my mum still loves to embarass me with that one now!

I began to donate blood (we do it for free here in Australia) just to find out what blood type I had - I mentioned that I was curious to find out my iron levels as I am a strict vegetarian (the word vegan often confuses people) and the nurse said that the vegetarians they get usually have excellent iron levels, better than the meat eaters! Ha!
    BTW my iron level was excellent. Always is.

Quote Cranky
    I began to donate blood (we do it for free here in Australia) just to find out what blood type I had - I mentioned that I was curious to find out my iron levels as I am a strict vegetarian (the word vegan often confuses people) and the nurse said that the vegetarians they get usually have excellent iron levels, better than the meat eaters! Ha!
    BTW my iron level was excellent. Always is.
    After I had my cesearian section, my ob/gyn thought I'd need prescription pills because I was severly anemic, nearly died the day I had the babies. Anyway, I told him I'd work on it myself. Ate loads of greens and beans plus took some vegan iron supplements and was back to normal in a few weeks. He was very impressed.

I'm O+ and according to that idiotic Blood Type Diet, I'm supposed to eat meat everyday . Yeah, right. I learned my blood type from donating blood as well but I haven't been allowed to donate for a few years now since the American Red Cross decided that I'm a health risk since I lived in the UK for a couple of years. I could transmit Mad Cow to some unsuspecting person in the USA who probably already has it from eating infected American cattle .

my company wanted to know my blood group when i started working for them so i rang my gp and they don't have a record of it. is that normal? i asked if i could have a blood test to find out and they said no. i've thought about giving blood in the past, and finding out that way, but i've always been too nervous to go through with it.

I am A+

i gave blood yesterday, and this is sort of what prompted the question. my iron levels are fine but i take a supplement just to be sure. my boyfriend doesn't eat much iron-rich foods, and was bordering on anaemic last time. yesterday the medical person who tested his blood said eating green veg was useless, and that meat is the only decent source of iron. that didn't go down too well with me obviously!

the stupid blood type diet inspired me to ask as well, as i am a group B who supposedly needs to eat meat. hopefully this poll will prove what rubbish that diet really is, from all the healthy O and B type vegans who haven't dropped dead yet!!
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Tofu, you can buy blood testing kits to find out your blood group, if you really want to know!

i thought they make a note of your blood group when you're born don't they? i'd have thought it'd need to be on your medical records in case you need a transfusion.

don't be scared of giving blood - it only hurts a tiny bit! and you feel all light-headed and funny afterwards and they give you free biscuits LOL

in Japan they reckon you can tell someone's personality from their blood group. i got this from the UK National Blood Service website www.blood.co.uk:

In Japan they attach particular importance to blood groups. On the island of Miyajima, there's a special post box with four slots, each marked with a different blood group. For a few yen you can put your hand in and pull out a fortune written according to your group.

So, if you're A you'll discover you're conservative and cooperative, Bs will find out they're eccentric, Os, relaxed, ambitious, but poor on detail, and AB types moody and standoffish! As and Bs should avoid each other as partners, but either would be happy with an AB partner. Os should stick to their own type, and steer clear of Bs.

Japanese couples planning to marry sometimes ask each other their blood group. In business some offices even attempt to get the right blend of blood groups to ensure working harmony!

there's some detailed explanation about how blood groups work on the website too, if you can get your head round it!! www.blood.co.uk/pages/secrets_in_blood.html

Tofu, I don't know my blood group either. I've only ever had one blood test in my life and when I asked my GP what my blood type was, for the sake of curiosity, he said that he didn't know because that needed a specific test and they hadn't done that one. That one time I had the test it didn't hurt one bit, but I've been too scared to donate blood in case it does hurt and tarnishes the good memory I have!!! My sister donates blood and I've seen some of the bruises she comes away with!

the bruises are just from not putting enough pressure on it after having the needle taken out. u need to hold it for a long time, if not, u come away with massive bruising.
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

PinkFluffyCloud

Oh my God, I'm a B married to an O!!!

Btw, no, they don't recoed your blood group - I asked when my son was born but they couldn't tell me. I found mine out when I was pregnant. I can't understand why they don't test people for blood group.

I'm and A - which apparently is correct for the vegan blood group diet thingy but I don't know much about it; doesn't make any difference in the long run...
    "if compassion is extreme, then call me an extremist"

Quote Gorilla
    yesterday the medical person who tested his blood said eating green veg was useless, and that meat is the only decent source of iron.
    Wow, I didn't know they had qualified nutritionists taking blood these days!

People heads are so screwed up these days by generations of advertising that has been promoted as "education". We have a huge epidemic of Type II Diabetes and heart disease on the way, and people will be wondering "What did I do wrong, I ate my lean meat and three serves of dairy, just like we were told. I hope they invent another pill soon to fix my problem."
    It makes me mad. So mad, I'm getting cranky again!!!

AB+; the only way I found out my blood group was through becoming a blood donor. It doesn't hurt and I've never had any bruising. The Welsh Blood Donor service even offer a local anthesthic if you want it but I don't find donating painful. Easier than a vaccination.

hey Celtic Rose AB's pretty rare, as i'm sure you already know!

Quote foxytina_69
    the bruises are just from not putting enough pressure on it after having the needle taken out. u need to hold it for a long time, if not, u come away with massive bruising.
    i was told by the blood people you get a bruise if you press too hard. they said they changed from using cotton wool to gauze because people were pressing too hard with the cotton wool i guess like the people testing the blood for iron, some of the blood staff have completely different opinions about these things i usually get a little bruise but sometimes it's huge it doesn't usually hurt though.

PinkFluffyCloud

I think it all depends on the skill of the person taking the blood as to whether you get a bruise or not.

I always got bruised when they took blood because my veins would jump, they were scared of the needle so the nurses would always have to chase my vein and I'd end up bruised. I still wish I could be a blood donor again. Stupid Red Cross .

thanks for that info guys. gorilla, everybody knows the japs are a bit mental. (just kidding.) i think i'll make the effort to give blood next time i can and find out that way. i wonder, if you started giving blood and then got either a tattoo or a piercing, would they consider you a risk and stop using you?

Tofu, if you have a tattoo or piercing, you can't give blood for a year afterwards, because of the risk of infection. they have lots of rules like that. check out their website for info and you should be able to find out details of where your nearest donor session will be held next on there as well.

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Ha! And me! Weird!
    Have you just changed your avatar? Something looks dif!

That goverment is best which governs not at all. Thoreau

I think I am A.

How do you know if your blood group is the one who is suppose to eat meat? Although to me, that sounds absurd.

Quote Tigerlily
    I think I am A.

How do you know if your blood group is the one who is suppose to eat meat? Although to me, that sounds absurd.
    It refers to a diet book which claims different blood groups need different food groups, particularly meat and fish.

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote celtic
    Have you just changed your avatar? Something looks dif!

Yes, I couldn't find a pink fluffy cloud picture, so I was a fluffy white dog - which isn't really very 'me' - so I found this beautiful Fox - do you like her?

Tigerlily, there was a thread about the blood type diet here: www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=977

it is basically rubbish, but i was just interested....

PinkFluffyCloud

We are supposed to eat loads of dairy stuff, aren't we, Gorilla - which used to make me very ill, even though I was addicted to the stuff.

I'm O +. The most common blood group and also the meat eaters group! I used to donate blood, in fact I got my silver badge many years ago but now they won't let me as I have to take Thyroxine.

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Yes, I couldn't find a pink fluffy cloud picture, so I was a fluffy white dog - which isn't really very 'me' - so I found this beautiful Fox - do you like her?
    If it's any consolation, I have always thought of you as a fox!

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote celtic
    If it's any consolation, I have always thought of you as a fox!
    Oh, how lovely
    Let me guess, I suppose you're a bit of a stallion??????

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Oh, how lovely
    Let me guess, I suppose you're a bit of a stallion??????
    Well, one doesnt like to boast

I am O+ too.

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote celtic
    Well, one doesnt like to boast
    Mmm, so I can tell.

For a pink fluffy cloud, how about

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote celtic
    For a pink fluffy cloud, how about

That's cute, I like it!
    I am very attached to my Fox already now though, she'd be upset if I changed her!!

Will someone please explain to me what each type is supposed to eat?
    She died the way she lived; ugly.

Quote cobainist403
    Will someone please explain to me what each type is supposed to eat?
    Here are a few links

link #1

link #2

If I remember correctly his “Facts” was not based on any research. It has been a while since I read that information. Peter D'Adamo did not give any substantial information to back up his claim about following a diet based on your particular blood type, in my opinion. Following that reasoning a person could create a diet plan based on a person’s eye color, hair color, ethnicity, etc.

PinkFluffyCloud

Wasn't it all based upon the blood types originating from certain countries, and the native diets to those countries?

thanks!
    She died the way she lived; ugly.

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    We are supposed to eat loads of dairy stuff, aren't we, Gorilla - which used to make me very ill, even though I was addicted to the stuff.
    it seems it's often the way PFC that people are addicted to the very things that make them unwell, for example people with wheat intolerances etc.

in fact i never used to like dairy products much anyway, i'd gone off cows' milk long before i went totally vegan, and although i used to really like certain boring types of cheese i was never into all the strong smelly ones. so even if i did believe the blood type diet, i don't even like the food it recommends.

perhaps the blood type diet is based on where different blood types are supposed to have originated, but group B is most common is Asia, where i believe very little dairy is consumed anyway!!!!

I'm AB, too! I don't know if I'm AB+or AB-, however...

Hi, for the sake of simplicity, please vote again if you have voted already. Only 22 people had voted before we needed to restore this thread from a backup. The old results were:

A -6 votes - 27.27%
    O - 5 votes - 22.73%
    B - 3 votes - 13.64%
    AB - 2 votes - 9.09%
    Don't know - 6 votes - 27.27%.

But these votes are not in the current poll results now, so please just vote again.
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

1vegan

Quote Gorilla
    yesterday the medical person who tested his blood said eating green veg was useless, and that meat is the only decent source of iron. that didn't go down too well with me obviously!
    The kind of iron found in meat is the kind that is the easiest to absorb for the human body.

Other sources that provide Iron are good too, but they are less "efficient" to absorb.

Adding vitamin C with your green leafy veggies helps the iron absorbtion too

I had a iron shortage too a while back (don't know how low it was) but had that corrected in a few weeks, without supplements

I have blood group O+ btw.

Geoff

Can any UK blood donor(s) tell me if they still use a local anaesthetic before inserting the transfusion needle? It used to be given with a 'gun' that shot a jet of liquid through the skin (ie, no needle, like a diesel injector)
    Thanks.

hi Geoff, they don't do the local anaesthetic here anymore, unless you specifically ask for it. why do you ask?

Geoff

Quote Gorilla
    hi Geoff, they don't do the local anaesthetic here anymore, unless you specifically ask for it. why do you ask?
    I've told people here about the gun they used in the UK and no-one has ever seen one. I wonder why it can't be used for other injections? Got to be better than a needle!

Quote 1vegan
    The kind of iron found in meat is the kind that is the easiest to absorb for the human body.

Other sources that provide Iron are good too, but they are less "efficient" to absorb.

Adding vitamin C with your green leafy veggies helps the iron absorbtion too

I had a iron shortage too a while back (don't know how low it was) but had that corrected in a few weeks, without supplements

I have blood group O+ btw.
    I'm not convinced this is the best for humans to have easily absorbed iron. Iron too high is just as toxic as iron too low and I believe that "hard to" absorb iron, such as what's found in plant foods, is more beneficial in the long run than "easily" absorbed animal-based iron. I do, though, agree with adding vitamin C to help the absorption and there are loads of things higher in Vitamin C than oranges (another myth sold to us by the governmental food gods).

That's awesome that you were able to correct your iron shortage without supplements. How did you do it?

I was tested years ago and told my group but I don't remember it.

1vegan

Quote Kiva Dancer
    That's awesome that you were able to correct your iron shortage without supplements. How did you do it?
    I don't know how much shortage I had, but I ate extra green leafy vegetables for a while, used rye bread, (dried) apricots, vigs and so on for a while

I'm not sure, but judging by my parents I'm probably O-. Basically I can give to anyone but I can only get my own I guess I feel benevolent now?

Quote Kiva Dancer
    I'm not convinced this is the best for humans to have easily absorbed iron. Iron too high is just as toxic as iron too low and I believe that "hard to" absorb iron, such as what's found in plant foods, is more beneficial in the long run than "easily" absorbed animal-based iron. I do, though, agree with adding vitamin C to help the absorption and there are loads of things higher in Vitamin C than oranges (another myth sold to us by the governmental food gods).

I was tested years ago and told my group but I don't remember it.
    It's true, the majority of omnivore anemia sufferers have excessive iron embedded in their internal organs. Considering the fact that iron is abundant in plants, there is no real reason to eat any other source.

Oh, blood based diet. Why do people not understand that bloodtype is really just a pattern of antibody formation. It has noting to do with diet.