View Poll Results: What's your blood type/group?

Voters
303. You may not vote on this poll
  • A

80 26.40%
  • O

104 34.32%
  • B

33 10.89%
  • AB

22 7.26%
  • Don't know

64 21.12%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What's your blood group?

B-

Am I the only negative?!?!
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

oh paradox, i see you are - also....
    :p In life & love there are no impossibilities...

Default Re: What's your blood group?

12.5% Abv
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams

B+
    It was written on my appointments card when I was pregnant. There was also something about antibodies written after it. I can't remember exactly now. I was told it was unusual but nothing to worry about
    "He who binds himself to a Joy, Does the winged life destroy;
    He who kisses the Joy as it flies, Lives in Eternity's sunrise"
    William Blake

I gave blood yesterday. Don't know my blood group though, I suppose I find out next time I go? It didn't hurt, at all. It actually felt pretty nice. Then again I have always liked things like that, injections, blood tests etc. Even as a kid having vaccinations I really liked it and used to look forward to the next one. Weird I suppose. I just love the feeling.

I'll vote when I find out.

So far about the stupid blood group diet then.
    Weren`t people with group 0 supposed to eliminate carbs and eat loads of meat???

littleTigercub

For those of you who don't donate blood (and are able to) please do! There have been studies that show that regular blood donation may prolong life I don't know if that's because of your body rejuvenating itself to replace the red blood cells or if it's just dumping some of the "bad" things in you blood with donation. But seriously, the population continues to grow while the percentage of blood donors continues to drop. (In the US, the largest group of donors are WWII vets - who are reaching the end of their lifespans)

For your info:

O- is universal donor (anyone can receive this blood)
    AB+ is universal receiver (can receive any other blood)
    + can receive + or - however - may only receive -
    O can only receive O
    A can receive A or O
    B can receive B or O
    AB can receive A, B, AB or O

For instance, A+ can receive A+, A-, O+ or O-

Don't worry, your blood is tested before you ever recieve a transfusion. Unless you are in an accident and it's an emergency - you'll get O-
    So please donate especially if you are O-, you may really save a life
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

I'm A negative.

Mozbee

I'm a don't know for certain which blood group I am. But I have a feeling it's the 'common' one - is that Blood Group A?

Quote Tofu Monster
    my company wanted to know my blood group when i started working for them so i rang my gp and they don't have a record of it. is that normal? i asked if i could have a blood test to find out and they said no. i've thought about giving blood in the past, and finding out that way, but i've always been too nervous to go through with it.
    WHy on earth did your company need your blood type??

Quote Gorilla
    i was told by the blood people you get a bruise if you press too hard. they said they changed from using cotton wool to gauze because people were pressing too hard with the cotton wool i guess like the people testing the blood for iron, some of the blood staff have completely different opinions about these things i usually get a little bruise but sometimes it's huge it doesn't usually hurt though.
    i got bruising from the needle going out the end of my vein. My veins are very small, but very easy to see. The nurse was a little overeager when she saw all the juicy veins in my arm.

i'm an O+, and the blood clinic loves me (because O+ can give to anyone), but i can't donate very often. it doesn't hurt much, but I always pass out and that scares everyone.

Mozbee

It seems more & more these days, companies want data for their computers. I've recently changed dentists and had to fill in a big form about my medical well being and my family history re heart attacks, strokes etc. Some questions I answered & thought fair enough, just in case, but some inquiries seemed totally irrelevant!

Quote Mozbee
    It seems more & more these days, companies want data for their computers. I've recently changed dentists and had to fill in a big form about my medical well being and my family history re heart attacks, strokes etc. Some questions I answered & thought fair enough, just in case, but some inquiries seemed totally irrelevant!
    sometimes i lie if i think the question is irrelevant. or i make a stink. 'course, i've been known to leave the male or female question blank it all depends on who's askin'.

Mozbee

The question I'd love not to answer is the one which relates to racial origins & skin colour. 'What difference does it make?' - The Smiths

sionthebard

Mine's A+ and I'm not likely to forget it as it's tattooed on my upper arm - a leftover from my days in the army as many of the guys had one done. But don't worry - I'm a pacifist now!

Sion.

Seaside

Mine is A, but I can't remember anymore whether it is + or -.

Default Re: Are you an organ donor?

Lagamorph,

Your blood type is determined at birth (A, B, AB, O and also + or -). These don't change unless for some reason you have had all of your bone marrow destroyed and somehow replaced (bone marrow transplants are same type and partial, so I don't see how this would happen). There are other markers (antigens) in your blood and you can develop antibodies to some of these markers if you have a blood transfusion. All this means is that a person who has had multiple blood transfusions will need to have future blood transfusions that are either more closely matched or specially filtered.

I hope that answers your question.
    Last edited by flutterby; Dec 8th, 2005 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Split from the Are you an organ donor? thread.
    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. - Albert Einstein

Thanks. I was born A+ (I know this for two reasons: I had slight jaundice when I was born (cuz my mother was O+), and it stated so on my birth certificate)
    However, when I gave blood for the first time, I was told that I was an O+ (like my mother). I had numerous blood tests to determine my 'actual' type and it has been comfirmed as an O+. I was told it could have been a mistake when they wrote it down at my birth. But they why the jaundice?
    I am razzled.
    No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood

Lagamorph,
    The jaundice is nothing to be worried about. Here is a link that explains it. I'm sure that your blood type was incorrectly written at birth.

I'm AB+, my ma is A- (omni), my dad is B+ (omni) and my sister is A+(veggie). How weird is that we are all completely different, there again we are all different anyway so it's not that suprising really.
    "I wouldn't eat a chicken if it dropped dead infront of me holding a up a sign that said eat me." - Ricky Williams

I have no freakin idea.
    "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

princessemma

A+ my husband and I are both the same we were happy to discover that as it means if one of us needs a kidney or something we are more likely to be compatiable.
    Oh and for the women who are negative if your husband is positive and you get pregnant you must get treatment straight after your baby is born. It doesn't cause problems for the first-born but if you are negative and have a positive baby it can stop you conciving a second baby.

I don't know mine...
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

RH neg. Apparently its quite rare. Today, someone told me in intricate detail how i might have to have a blood transfusion if i get pregnant. I knew this but now i'm scared!!!
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

O+ and sadly unable to give blood as I am only 6stsomething and I need to weigh 7st12 before I'm allowed. Little people wanna give blood too!

Quote catmogg
    RH neg. Apparently its quite rare. Today, someone told me in intricate detail how i might have to have a blood transfusion if i get pregnant. I knew this but now i'm scared!!!
    Don't worry, as I'll explain.

Everyone has one of 4 blood types : A, B, AB, or O. And everyone is either Rh+ or Rh- This means that an A+ person has antigen A and Rh antigen in her blood. (Rh- has no Rh antigen in her blood)

If you are Rh- and have a Rh+ blood transfusion then you will have antibodies to Rh, or in other words, your body has tried to fight off something different by making an antibody. The other way you can make antibody to Rh is by being an A-, B-, AB- or O- mother who carries to a Rh+ fetus. The danger is that if you have another Rh+ fetus, your blood has antibody to the fetus's blood and the fetus may develop a disease called erythroblastosis fetalis.

Now the good news. Rh- women who abort (in a situation where you know the fetus's blood type) or give birth to a Rh+ baby can be treated with an injected protein marketed as RhoGAM. This injection stops the mother's body from forming anti-Rh antibodies, therefor preventing harm to the next Rh+ baby.

I hope that put your mind at ease.

Phew. Thanks.
    My turn of mind is so given to taking things in the absurd point of view that it breaks out in spite of me every now and then.

- Byron

AB+ve

Manish Jain

I'm A+. Same as my mum. We're both Pisceans too - birthdays are 6 days apart. Everyone says we're just like each other. Somehow I felt closer to my mum knowing we were the same blood type. Dunno why...

Diana
    akaredarcher

P.S. Sometimes if you are ineligible to donate whole blood you can still donate plasma. It can be done more frequently than whole blood donations too.

huliyun22

mine is B+

I discovered my bloodtype when I had to get the blood test for my marriage.

My husband and I are both A+ vegans . . .

when we first started dating, I knew we were a lot alike, I just didn't know the similarities went that far down into our blood cells, teehee!
    "Ignorance is a curable disease"

Quote DianeVegan
    For your info:

O- is universal donor (anyone can receive this blood)
    AB+ is universal receiver (can receive any other blood)
    + can receive + or - however - may only receive -
    O can only receive O
    A can receive A or O
    B can receive B or O
    AB can receive A, B, AB or O

For instance, A+ can receive A+, A-, O+ or O-

Don't worry, your blood is tested before you ever recieve a transfusion. Unless you are in an accident and it's an emergency - you'll get O-
    So please donate especially if you are O-, you may really save a life

Thanks for the information. I was not aware that I am an universal receiver.

Manish Jain

Talking Re: What's your blood group?

im O+

the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote LunaVanillaVega
    I discovered my bloodtype when I had to get the blood test for my marriage.
    this may be a stupid question, but why do you need a blood test to get married?
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Gorilla, what I feel that, it is good to check/match blood groups for the sake of health issues/problems of future/possible kid cause there are certain combinations which can creat problems. http://channels.apollolife.com/show.asp?NewAid=5459

So,it may be a better idea to match the blood groups to ensure a happy and healthy married life.

Manish Jain

thanks Manish, that's interesting. is blood testing before marriage common/mandatory in other countries? i'm not aware of it being a matter of course in the UK (i'm not married myself, but have never heard anyone else mention it before).
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Gliondrach

Quote crazy_4_veg
    I'm AB+, my ma is A- (omni), my dad is B+ (omni) and my sister is A+(veggie). How weird is that we are all completely different, there again we are all different anyway so it's not that suprising really.
    Crazy 4 Veg, it's not unusual for family members to have different blood groups. It wouldn't be unusual if you had a brother or sister who was an O- or O+

I am B+. So was my mother. My brother and sister are both B-. I think I remember my father telling me that his blood group was B. But, then again, I might be hallucinating.

huliyun22

Quote huliyun22
    mine is B+

my parent is O, so are my other brothers and sisters.

Is that odd??

i know a person who is on teh blood type diet who claims type o needs meat to survive and only people with blood type a can thrive on a vegan diet.

so i found out i'm blood type o. 2.5 years and going stronger than ever.
    utopiankitchen.wordpress.com

A-

Just checked the blood type diet.........and now I know why I'm so healthy ....I also do yoga

Blood Group A

This is the second most common blood type in the UK. Again according to Dr D'Adamo, digestive system is apparently very good at remembering that our ancestors had settled, farming lifestyles, which included eating lots of grains and vegetables but little meat. Consequently, blood type A’s should follow a vegetarian diet but still avoid dairy products. This means nuts, seeds, beans, cereals, pasta, rice, fruit and veg are all on the ‘to eat’ list. Meanwhile, calming exercises are thought to be best for blood type A’s such as yoga or golf.

i haven't a clue what mine is...you'd think my mom, who is a nurse, would have bothered to find out when she had me..
    Piggy

tabitha

Red and Runny. I havent got a clue. I should do Ive had enough operations and blood transfusions.

How can I find out?

I had bloodwork done last Friday and I meet the doctor again on Friday--can I ask them then?
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Quote Tigerlily
    How can I find out?

I had bloodwork done last Friday and I meet the doctor again on Friday--can I ask them then?
    Hi Tigerlily

Yeah....ask your doctor they should be able to tell you

love
    stef

i'm A- and Rh neg, DF is A+. And Rhogam's a butt shot - it hurts.
    "Take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Elie Wiesel

I think I'm an O. As for this whole + and - business, I'm completely clueless.

O+

didn't someone write a book that said all you bloody O's are suppose to chow down on some flesh?

princessemma

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    I think it all depends on the skill of the person taking the blood as to whether you get a bruise or not.
    It's funny you should say this but from my experiance I've always found the more medically qualified the person taking the blood the bigger the bruise. I get no bruise from pathologists a little bruise from nurses or junior doctors and wacking great big bruises from consultants!

Default Re: What's your blood type? I've heard that Type A prefer very little meat if an

B negative.
    And alas I have arrived, like a whirlwind at a kindergarten picnic.